Buffy jumped as a bolt of lighting streaked across the sky, the distant rumbles left in its wake filling the air with thunderous booms that seemed to shake the earth. She turned, looking toward William as he looked up at the sky. "Storm?" she asked, the blue sky above them not giving any indication of one.



"Sounds like, but the sky is still blue," William said as he moved from his position and swam toward the center of the pond to get a clear view of the sky.



Buffy watched him before also looking up at the sky. She could still hear the faint rumbling of thunder and ventured away from the rocks she had been sitting on and swam toward the center of the pond where William was headed.



The longer he looked, the louder the thunder became. The sky was blue, but the rumbles seemed to vibrate in his chest as he looked out across the sky. A bright streak of lightening caught his attention as it flashed off to his left and he turned his head toward the mountains, his eyes widening slightly as he saw the dark black clouds billowing up and surrounding the mountain before it seemed to spread.



"What is that?" Buffy asked as she also saw the black clouds.



"Not sure," William replied. "Doesn't look like any storm clouds I've seen before."



"Me either," Buffy said, jumping slightly as another crack of thunder rumbled and lightening crackled as it lit up the sky around the clouds.











Ethan's eyes widened as the creature stood to its full height. Eight feet of towering muscle hovered above them and even though the creature's size was menacing, Ethan's fear came from the long hissing tongue that kept slithering from the creature's snake-like form.



It stood upright like a man, two strong legs holding up the massive beast as it slowly approached them. The end of its tail was unseen as it wound up around the many piles of jewels around the floor and the hissing sound the creature was making seemed to echo off the walls. Two small red eyes stared at the duo and the witch began to chant her protection spells again as the scaled creature came closer.



"Ssss-sacrilege," the creature hissed as it came forward, its tail finally whipping the piles of jewels across the room, sending rubies and diamonds scattering across the stone floor. "Death you ssss-seek."



"Ethan, your spell!" The witch yelled as Ethan stood almost mesmerized by the creature approaching them.



Ethan was caught in the creature's eyes. The small red orbs were holding him in place and paralyzing him where he stood. A genuine fear crept up his spine as the creature came closer before a hard slap from the witch broke the spell he seemed to be under.



"Do not look at it!" The witch yelled before resuming her chants.



Ethan shook his head, quickly reaching into his bag for the potion he had mixed before pulling it from the bag and looking back up at the creature. It was slow moving but the long red tongue darting out of its snake-like head whipped through the air and Ethan and the witch both took a step back as it struck out at them.



Uncapping the bottle, Ethan threw the potion toward the beast and a shrill scream pierced their ears as the creature cried out in pain. Its body began to smoke as Ethan began chanting his own spell.











Buffy's eyes widened as the black clouds surrounding the mountains started to spread at a rapid rate. Red flashes mingled in the black mass of swirling clouds as it started to spread across the sky. The wind picked up and the trees lining the pond swayed as their limbs whipped in the increasing breeze.



The rumbles were constant as the lightening streaked across the sky. The once blue sky began to darken as the clouds seemed to spread, effectively blacking out the suns light.



"Come on!" William yelled, looking back at Buffy before he started swimming toward the shore.



Buffy's heart was racing as the light began to fade. The once serene Enchanted Forest was now slowly being engulfed by darkness and the scraping of the tree branches as they whipped in the wind made the darkness even more frightening.



William grabbed Buffy's still damp dress, pulling it from the tree branch and shoving it at her as she came closer to the shore before grabbing his own clothes. He looked back up at the darkening sky as he quickly slipped his shirt over his head as the clouds had almost consumed any visible daylight left. The black clouds were mingled with red streaks and the sky looked as if it were bleeding as he turned and rushed out of the water.



Buffy was too frightened to even notice William's bare form as she quickly slipped the dress over her head and started pulling it down before walking out of the water. Her rapidly beating heart seemed to drown out everything around her as the sights and sounds around her seemed to consume her and terrify her more than anything ever before.



She barely even heard William call her name before she felt his hands on her back, quickly doing the buttons of her dress before he grabbed her arm and pulled her toward the trees.



The darkness engulfed them as the sky opened up, a hard, pounding rain drenching them as the shelter of the thick trees offered little cover for them.



William's mind was racing as he looked around in the darkness. He had no idea what was happening and truth be told, he was as frightened as Buffy was. Whatever was happening wasn't normal. Magic seemed to crackle in the air as the wind blew violently. Spotting a small cluster of low lying-trees, he led Buffy toward them, pulling her to the ground beside him and tucking her under the thick foliage.



"What's happening?" Buffy asked, tears springing to her eyes.



"I don't know," William answered her, looking out into the darkness. He could hear the horse stomp and snort as lightening lit up the sky before a blot of lightening lit up everything around them.



It seemed as if the whole world had been thrown into darkness as the wind and heavy rain consumed everything around them.



"Stay here," William said before standing.



"Don't leave me!" Buffy shouted, her eyes wide with fear.



"I'll be right back," William said before taking off into the darkness.



"William!" Buffy shouted, her fear causing her tears to finally come as soon as he was out of sight.



William ran back to their campsite, Buffy's voice ringing in his ears as she yelled his name before grabbing the saddlebags from the horse and untying his reins. He watched the horse gallop off before grabbing the blanket from the ground and running back in the direction he had left Buffy.



He could hear her crying and although he hated himself for leaving her, even if it only was for a minute -- without her small sobs, he would have never found her in the darkness.



Making his way to her, he threw the bags under the tress before crawling under the low-lying branches where Buffy was. "Shhh, don't cry princess," William said softly, wrapping the blanket around Buffy's shoulders and pulling her to him.



Buffy fell into his embrace, holding onto him as her body shook in fear. Her eyes closed, trying to block out what was happening but the wind seemed to mock her fear as it filtered through the trees, causing her anxiety to increase.



The first strong pelt was felt by William as a small stone-sized piece of ice fell hard, hitting his arm and causing him to jump before the sky opened up and rained the small hail balls toward the earth. The cover of the trees was almost useless and the speed at which the small pieces of ice slammed through the trees didn't slow them down any as the small stings began to rain over Buffy and William.



William grabbed the blanket, covering his and Buffy's heads with it trying, to protect them from the small projectiles. He wrapped one arm around Buffy's shoulder, holding her closer to him as she cried softly into his chest.



Buffy's arms went up, wrapping around William's neck as she felt his arm tighten around her shoulder. She could feel the small ice stones as they hit every so often, knowing that William was taking the brunt of them as his form was practically covering her own.



Her cries were growing silent, only a few stray tears finding their way down her cheeks as she tightened her hold around William's neck. The sounds of the howling wind and the hard tapping noises of the hail as they hit the trees and ground were the only things she could hear.



She buried her face in William's neck, the comfort she found in his embrace easeing her anxiety somewhat and the sound of his breathing taking her mind off of the strange occurrence that seemed to turn day into night in a matter of minutes.











Angelus stood by the window in his castle, a tiny smile lighting up his face. He was in awe at the scene before him. Ethan had said he would know, that the heavens would bleed and from the looks of the sky, that was certainly what it looked like.



Chaos seemed to erupt from a clear blue sky and throw the world, as he knew it, into a black abyss of screaming destruction. The wind whipped, swirling small tree branches through the air as small pebbles of ice crashed to the ground.



He chuckled slightly, shaking his head before turning and walking to the fireplace and sitting down. His head turned back to the window as the sound of trees breaking outside his window caught his attention. "I sure hope you know how to stop this, old man," he said quietly to himself as his mind flashed images of his father and what he must be up to before a smile curled his lips and he settled into his chair.











The occupants in King Rupert's castle all huddled together in the throne room. There wasn't a face there that didn't have the same fear written across it. All eyes were on the window and the bright red flashes that streaked across the sky. All thoughts were of Buffy and the men that had been sent to retrieve her.



Fear engulfed her entire being and Queen Joyce hid her tears from her daughters. She smiled as King Rupert took her hand, giving it a light squeeze. She turned her head to him, the reassuring smile on his face seeming to comfort her a little as she returned the light embrace to his hand.



"All will be well," King Rupert said quietly, smiling in spite of his own fear. "The gods will keep us safe."











William's arm was tiring as he held the blanket closed above his and Buffy's heads. His left arm was still around her shoulder, holding her tightly to him.



The hail had all but stopped hitting them as its descent was slowly being stopped by the trees. The rain still fell heavily and the blanket covering them was doing little to protect them from the elements, as it was completely soaked. The ground under them was drenched and as much as sleeping sitting up wasn't an appealing thought, it looked as if that was going to be the case.





William shifted his weight, sitting down fully on the ground; his legs had started to tingle as the circulation was cut off slightly. Buffy shifted with him, never loosening her hold on him and William smiled as Buffy's head nestled further into his neck. He could feel her warm breath playing across his skin and he had to hold back the small moan of pleasure he felt tickling his throat at her being so close.



He was surrounded by her scent. It was as intoxicating as she was. As he finally settled into a more comfortable position, he sighed heavily, his fear receding slightly. The distant rumbles had seemed to dissipate some and the lightening wasn't flashing as often as it had been.



Bending his right leg, William propped his elbow on his knee, offering his arm some rest from holding the blanket so high above them.



"It seems to be stopping," Buffy said quietly, her voice muffled as her face buried in his neck.



"Yes, but the light hasn't returned," William replied, bending his head to try to see her.



Buffy raised her head slightly when William lowered his and her eyes closed as she felt his breath tickle her ear. She sighed lightly, pulling her head back and smiling to herself as her cheek rested lightly against William's.



Buffy's breathing slowly increased as William moved his head, brushing the side of her face with his own and the hand that had been resting on her shoulder came up and lightly ran over the back of her head.



William could feel her tremble slightly and wondered briefly if it was still her fear at what was happening or if it was him. He knew she felt something for him, he could see it in her eyes. The feelings reflected in her eyes whenever she looked at him matched his own.



The realization that she wasn't pulling away from him quickened his heart rate, especially when he felt her move her head again and felt her lips brush across his cheek.



His breathing increased, matching Buffy's ragged breath before his eyes closed. It took everything in him to control himself with her. He wanted her, more than anything else in the world and at that moment, he was sure she wanted him in return.



Buffy lowered her left arm, bringing it from behind William's neck to rest lightly on his shoulder. Her heart was racing and she wasn't sure if the heat her body suddenly felt was from being covered by the damp blanket or from being so close to William.



She couldn't explain why, but as the hand resting on William's shoulder came up to rest on his cheek, Buffy turned her head, her lips brushing a path along his skin and when she felt him move his head she opened her eyes.



Their eyes locked, the darkness around them not hindering Buffy from seeing the crystal blue orbs that seemed to shine through the blackness. She let out a small breath of air she hadn't realized she had been holding in and ran her fingers softly over William's face, smiling as he eyes fluttered closed.



The small light touches that danced across his cheek caused his already rapidly beating heart to increase its pace. William's eyes slowly opened, looking down at the goddess in front of him as he felt her fingers slide across his bottom lip.



Buffy's eyes drank in his features, from the sharp angle of his cheekbones, the mesmerizing blue in his eyes to the full, pouty lip that her fingers were still slowly caressing. She knew she would never find another man as beautiful as he was and before she even had time to think about what she was doing, she leaned forward.



William's eyes fell shut the minute he felt her lips connect with his. He had to forcefully restrain himself from crushing her body to his and as he felt the first pass of her lips slide over his own, he felt his entire body respond.



Buffy felt the hand resting on the back of her head move slightly and William's fingers thread through her damp locks. She almost moaned as William leaned in further, applying more pressure to the kiss and as the slow, almost erotic movements his lips were making across hers increased, Buffy felt like her body was melting.



It was everything he knew it would be. The feel of her in his arms, the taste of her and the small unconscious sounds she was making were almost too much to take. He didn't know why she had initiated the kiss but wasn't about to let the moment go without showing her what he felt for her.



Buffy's breath caught in her throat as she felt his tongue slide across her lip and her already dizzying brain responded by allowing him access. The slow movements that had turned to her mush only seconds before exploded and a small moan escaped her throat as his tongue entered her mouth.



The arm that had been holding the blanket lowered, wrapping around her waist and pulling her closer to him as the kiss deepened and intensified. Buffy's mind was lost in the feel of him. The strong muscles of his back moving under her hands, the scent that had consumed her daily and the same intense need pouring into the kiss that she was slowly getting lost in.



As she finally pulled back for a gasping breath of air, William trailed a kiss across her jaw, moving his way to her neck. Buffy was panting for breath and feelings she had never before experienced flooded her body, making it tingle as if every nerve ending were on fire.



She barely even heard the words whispered against her neck that William was repeating, as her hazy mind was lost in the sensations he was causing, but as the small kisses he was raining over her skin moved toward her ear, she finally heard him.



Her eyes widened and her body went slightly stiff as she waited. Maybe she had heard him wrong, maybe it was wishful thinking that caused her brain to hear something that wasn't there, but as the soft puff of air that spilled out the words "I love you" reached her for a second time, the world caved in around her.



Buffy pulled back, scooting across the ground and out of his reach as his shocked eyes locked on hers. Her entire being was screaming at the injustice of her life and as her mind finally cleared she realized what had happened.



Her hand went to her mouth, covering it as tears stung her eyes. She shook her head, trying to get the words he had said out of her head but they only seemed to scream louder. As images of her kingdom flooded her mind, Buffy felt the pain of her title and as the tears started their descent down her face, the only thing she heard was William's voice as he called out her name.



She couldn't see much of anything as she ran. Her tears were blinding her as she ran through the darkened forest, trying to escape her life and the man she loved, whom she now knew returned her feelings.



The rain was still falling and as his voice came closer, she increased her speed. The thick trees made it difficult as did the long skirt of her dress but as the sobs erupted from her throat, Buffy knew she would rather face the journey on her own than to have to look at William again and know she could never have him.



William was frantic as he chased Buffy through the darkness. He wasn't sure what had happened but the look on her face right before she stood and ran tore a piece of his heart out. He called her name, barely able to see her small form through the trees and as her heartbreaking sobs reached his ears, he felt his own eyes stinging.



Buffy pushed herself harder as William's voice seemed to draw closer. Wet leaves and small tree limbs had her stumbling as she ran through the forest and as she turned her head to see if she could see him, a small scream broke through the darkness as she tripped.



William heard her scream, his heart pounding as he ran faster. He cursed himself and the darkness as fear began to overwhelm him. He called her name with every breath, his eye searching the darkness for her and as he felt the silent tears run down his cheek he felt his heart break.



Buffy had always heard people say that they saw stars when hit hard enough and as her head connected with the large tree trunk at the bottom of the hill that she had fallen down, she wondered briefly why she didn't see any.



Her head was pounding and she felt the blood run down her cheek as the large cut she knew was on her forehead leaked the crimson fluid across her face. Rolling over on her back, she moaned in pain, her eyes closing briefly as she heard William's voice call out to her.



As her eyes opened, Buffy let out a small chuckle as the first flash of white caught her attention. The small twinkling lights seemed to come out of nowhere and as she watched them dance above her head she smiled, thinking better late than never, before the world around her slowly disappeared as unconsciousness drew her into darkness.