William ran frantically through the blackened forest, his heart racing in his chest as he called out Buffy's name. The rain was still falling and he ran his hands through his damp locks, pushing the loose curls away from his forehead as he stopped and turned in a complete circle, trying to figure out where Buffy was.



Hearing her scream had terrified him. Although he doubted anything in the forest would harm her, the sudden day-into-night could have caused anything to rise and distort the tranquility of the forest.



Closing his eyes, William sighed heavily before wiping his face and opening his eyes. Looking in every direction, he ventured left, to where he thought Buffy had gone.



It seemed like hours had passed, although he knew it couldn't have been more than a couple of minutes, but his desperate calls to Buffy went unanswered. Worry was creeping its way up his spine and the more time passed, the more frightened he became.



Stopping and leaning back against a tree, William bent at the waist, his hands resting on his knees as he tried to catch his breath and relax. A bitter laugh escaped him as the past weeks replayed before his mind's eye and he knew he had messed up. Why had he not told her sooner? Would it have made a difference?



William finally raised his head, straightening his body and leaning back against the tree and staring straight ahead. He squinted his eyes as a small white light seemed to flutter just ahead of him and as he watched it, it seemed to be moving.



The light seemed to dance in intricate patterns as it came toward him, and William found himself completely mesmerized by it. It seemed to glow and it looked as if it changed colors before it started zigzagging from left to right.



As the small light grew closer, William leaned further into the tree, watching with wide eyes as it approached him. As the light finally stopped, William's mouth gaped open at what he saw.











Ethan continued to chant his spell as he dashed the creature with the potion he had mixed while the witch still chanted her protection spells. The thunderous booms of the thunder outside the cavern echoed off the walls and he was practically yelling just to hear himself.



The beast was screaming in pain as its skin turned slimy before their eyes. Smoke billowed off of its form and it hissed in pain as it tried to penetrate the barrier that protected Ethan and the witch.



A small thrill of accomplishment was already taking over Ethan as he watched the spell begin to work. This was their obstacle. If they could survive and kill the beast, the rest of their plan would be easy.



Pulling a small jar from his bag, Ethan raised his arm, chanting the last of his spell before throwing the red powder he had mixed toward the beast. The ear-piercing cry from the creature almost deafened them both as Ethan and the witch covered their ears and watched the beast writhe in pain before it slowly slumped to the ground.



"Is it dead?" Ethan finally asked after the creature had been down for a few minutes.



All noise had ceased except for what was still happening outside. The thunder had died down in intensity, but the heavy rain could still be heard as the witch took a cautious step forward.



"I think our task has succeeded," she said with a toothy grin. "The beast is dead."



The wicked laugh from Ethan rang throughout the chamber as his hand went to his pocket and he gripped the stone they had acquired. A fleeting glance at the motionless creature that lay sprawled out on the floor was cast before Ethan grabbed the medallion around his neck.



"Shall we call it a day?" Ethan asked with a large smile as he looked at the witch. "I do believe we have a princess to acquire."



"That we do sire," the witch said, her own smile matching that of Ethan's before she grabbed his arm. In a flash of light and a few chanted words, the two were gone.

















William stared at the small being in front of him in awe. It was obviously female, with long golden hair. She was no bigger than his finger and the smell of honeysuckles clung in the air as her tiny arm motioned him forward.



"This way," her tiny voice called; the fluttering of the creature's wings sounded like a ruffling of leaves as they moved.





"A pixie," William whispered, a smile curving his lips as he stared at the mythical creature.



"We haven't much time," she said, hovering closer to William's face. "She needs you."



That finally got William's attention. "She? You mean Buffy?" He asked anxiously.



The small creature smiled, the scent she gave off growing stronger as her small iridescent wings fluttered faster. "We must hurry," she said before turning.



William ran as the pixie flew off in the direction she had come from and he didn't know how or why, but she seemed to know where Buffy was.



A short jog away from where he had been looking, William saw a glow emitting from the forest and ran faster. As he stopped at the top of a hill, he released the breath he didn't realize he had been holding in as he saw dozens of the small fairies hovering over Buffy's still form at the bottom of the hill.



William quickly ran down the hill, his fear receding some as he finally reached her and dropped to his knees beside of her. "Buffy, luv, can you hear me?" He asked as he lifted her head and raised his hand to her face.



"She is hurt," said one of the fairies, before it flew directly in William's line of vision. "Bring her," it said, smiling before the small swarm of fairies flew up the hill.



William saw the large cut on Buffy's forehead and the blood as it ran down one side of her face. He lifted his hand, pushing her hair away from her face before looking up the hill where the pixies had flown.



They were all waiting, the scent of honeysuckles filling him as he cradled Buffy in his arms and pulled her close to his body before standing. The climb back up the wet hillside was difficult, but as he finally made it back up to level ground, he sighed in relief as he clutched Buffy's body closer to him.



"This way," another small voice was heard saying before the bright lights hovered and weaved in and out of the trees.



William followed them, not knowing where they were taking him, but figured if they had shown him where Buffy was, that they meant him no harm. A short walk had William's brow scrunching up as the waterfall came back into view and as the small pixies started toward it, William stopped.



Looking around, he tried to remember which way he had initially went to locate what little shelter he and Buffy had taken. Turning in a circle, he finally got his bearings and turned left. He had only taken two steps before a small pixie in a soft blue gown appeared before him.



"This way," she said, pointing behind William and smiling.



William turned, looking behind him and seeing all the other small creatures hovering by the waterfall before he looked back at the one in front of him. "Where are you taking us?" He asked.



"To safety," the pixie replied before flying around him and motioning him forward.



William looked at them all, trying to decide if he should follow or return to their meager camp before looking down at Buffy. Her skin was pale looking and dirt marred her face as it mixed with the blood that was still slowly trickling down her cheek.



Looking back up, he smiled before walking forward, the buzz of the fairies' wings sounding like a low hum of bees as he walked along the edge of the pond to where the pixies waited.











Angelus jumped slightly, startled by the sudden appearance of his father and the witch. The twin smiles that lit up their faces were the only thing he needed to know that they had succeeded.



"I hope you have a way to stop this storm," Angelus said as he stood from his chair.



"The storm is of no consequence," Ethan said with a large smile. "It will run its course."



"I'm assuming you have the stone?" Angelus asked as he walked toward the table the witch and Ethan were hovered around.



"You assume correctly," Ethan said. "The princess will be ours."



"You mean mine," Angelus growled. "You do remember that, don't you old man?"



Ethan chuckled softly as he gathered up his books before looking at Angelus. "Now, now boy. Let's not get testy," he said, laughing. "I am well aware of your plans for her."



Angelus glared hard at his father. No matter how much Ethan did for him, one thing was certain; he would never trust him. Ethan didn't do anything without gaining a prize for himself and Angelus doubted the riches of Parissa would ever be enough to satisfy him.



"So, how much longer?" Angelus asked.



"A few more days at best," Ethan told him. "We still have to gain control of the Trolothan."



"Are you sure you can?" Angelus asked, still not sure Ethan's plan would work.



"No worries, Angelus. All will go according to plan. Before the week is out, Princess Elizabeth will be yours."

















As the fairies started toward the waterfall, William stopped. He didn't know what they were doing and seeing some of them fly right through the cascade of water and disappear had confused him.



"This way," one of the small creatures said as she directed him around the edge of the pond and up a small embankment.



William was beginning to worry as the pixie lead him around a cluster of rocks and through a small cluster of bushes to a small path that he hadn't noticed before. The brush was thick and the more he saw, the more it looked as if the path had deliberately been hidden.



Winding his way up the path, William was once again in awe as the path opened up and he stepped behind the waterfall. The mist that flew from the cascading water felt refreshing as the sound of the water as it hit the rocks rang in his ears and he stood there taking in his surroundings.



William finally turned and followed the pixies into a small cave that sat directly behind the waterfall, a smile forming on his face as he was finally out of the pounding rain that had been falling. It was completely black inside the cavern; the only light came from the fairies as they seemed to glow brighter in the darkness of the cave.



As the fairies led him down the stone walled path, William felt the temperature change drastically as the sound of the waterfall began to fade away. The air was no longer chilled by rain nor were the walls damp with moisture but it now felt warm as if the sun were heating the stones. The smell of dirt was being replaced with flowers and as they rounded a corner, William saw light up ahead.



A short walk along the narrow corridor had William slowing his steps and his eyes once again widened at what he saw. As the bright light from the sun reflected off the walls, William turned his head away slightly, waiting for his eyes to adjust before looking back at the scene before him. It was unlike anything he had ever seen and he knew that the Enchanted Forest had truly earned its name.



As William carried Buffy out of the mouth of the cave into the bright sun, he smiled widely as he gazed at the land before him. Flowers of every color of the rainbow littered the valley. Birds sung and tiny houses were scattered amongst the hillsides.



"They can help you," one of the pixies said, smiling as she tried to get William to follow her.



William glanced at the small fairies floating in front of him before looking back out over the valley. He wondered if this were some sort of trick caused by the disturbance that had occurred or if this place really existed.



As far as the eye could see, the land rolled on. It looked as if a completely new world had sprung up from nowhere. Turning his head, William looked behind him. The entrance to the cave he had carried Buffy out of was covered with green ivy and flowers and he shook his head as a small chuckle made its way past his lips.



Turning back to the scene before him, William looked over at the fairy that was waiting patiently for him and smiled. "Where are we?"



The small fairy smiled, her wings fluttering faster as she seemed to glow before she flew closer to William. "This," she said, pointing toward the land before them, "Is Verisha," she said excitedly. "The land of Enchantment."