The castle was in utter chaos as the inhabitants scurried from the windows. The screams of women were echoing off the walls as everyone saw the legendary dragon flying high in the sky. The guards were scurrying across the courtyard, trying to get everyone inside to safety as the beast approached.



"Quickly," King Rupert yelled as he ushered Queen Joyce and her daughters into his throne room before slamming the large door behind him.



The palace guards were already manning their stations along the castle walls and their arrows were taking target on the beast.



"Lower your weapons!" One of the guards yelled as he saw what looked like someone dangling from the dragon's clawed feet.



The guards lowered their bows, all watching as the dragon flew over the top of the castle. Eyes were wide and mouths gaped as they saw the limp body of a girl hanging from the creature's grasp.







Prince Angelus followed Ethan into the courtyard to await the Trolothan and his soon-to-be bride. He was ecstatic at the outcome of the day's events. When the witch had stirred the potion to see the area around the Enchanted Forest and they all saw Buffy exit alone, they had all shared an amused look with each other as Ethan told Angelus to ready his amulet to collect the princess. Seeing William follow her out some time later thrilled Ethan as he knew the spell could be preformed after all.



Watching the scene play out was as good as actually being there and smiles lit up the faces of Ethan and Angelus as they stared into the sky while the creature was seen off in the distance.



Angelus was practically bouncing on his feet as the creature came closer and he could see Buffy hanging from its massive claws. "She's not hurt is she?" He asked his father as the creature swooped down and prepared to deposit the limp body of the princess.



"No," Ethan assured him. "I'm sure the excitement has just rendered her unconscious."



"I hope that's all it is," Angelus stated. "No fun beating William if the prize isn't worth having."



Ethan laughed heartily at his son and they both moved in closer as the Trolothan closed in on them and lowered the princess. Once she was firmly in their grip, the Trolothan released his hold on her and quickly departed.



Angelus held an unconscious Buffy in his arms, a satisfied smile creasing his face as he turned and walked back into the castle. After all this time, she was finally his. A small chuckle escaped him as he walked down the hall toward his room, thinking of what poor William would do once he realized that he had once again been too late.







King Rupert paced the hall outside his throne room as Joyce and the girls watched him. The news that the beast had taken a young girl distressed him greatly. With all that had taken place over the last several weeks, he didn't know how much more he could take. How was he to see to the safety of his people when he couldn't even do that for his own?



"He's here," Tara said, smiling as she rushed from the window and ran to the hall. "He's here father! Edward has returned."



King Rupert looked up and sighed in relief as he heard Edward's voice boom through the castle. He could hear him barking out orders and any other day his son's rude behavior would have been sorely taken, but today it was a welcome sign.



Queen Joyce, along with Dawn, Willow and Cordelia all stepped out into the hall as they heard the commotion and they all stood dumbfounded as they saw the man marching down the hall toward them. His face was almost red with anger and they could tell by his posture that now wasn't the time for questions.



"Dear lord Edward, where on earth have you been?" King Rupert asked loudly as his son walked right past him without saying a word.



Joyce saw the astonished look on King Rupert's face before he turned and followed Edward down the hall, calling out to him as he went.



King Rupert followed his son into the weapon's hold and watched as he rifled through the swords and daggers, concealing the smaller weapons on him before he went about gathering more. He had never seen his son look so put out before and the look on his face was beginning to terrify him.



"Edward, what is wrong? Where have you been? I've been worried sick," King Rupert asked worriedly as he watched him throw the unwanted weapons clean across the room before grabbing more. "We do have guests. You should be more considerate of them." He said before looking over his shoulder as Joyce and her girls appeared in the doorway. "I do apologize Joyce. He usually isn't like this," he said, trying to reassure her.



"It's quite alright," Joyce said, smiling slightly. "Something has obviously upset him," she said, still watching with wide eyes.



"Edward, will you please stop!" King Rupert yelled after hearing the loud clamor of steel hit the floor. "Now what is the meaning of this?" He demanded. "Edward!"



"Stop calling me that! No one but you ever insists on calling me that. Why is that Rupert?"



"May I remind you to whom you are speaking," King Rupert said, clearly embarrassed at his son's outburst. "And Edward is your name, in case you have forgotten."



"No one else has a problem with my name, why you do?"



King Rupert stared at his son's angry face as he stopped and turned, finally looking over at him before he shook his head and went back to the weapons. "I'm sorry Edwa.William. You're mother gave you that name. I feel it only right to use it."



William stopped what he was doing as another pain shot through his heart at his mother's mention before he closed his eyes and tried to get his anger to recede. The entire day had been more stressful that any he had ever had and he grew weary just thinking of the battle that lie ahead of him. "I don't mean to be disrespectful," he said softly. "But I don't have time for pleasantries at the moment." He told him before grabbing a jewel-handled sword and pulled it from its sheath.



"Tell me what is wrong," King Rupert said calmly as William grew still while he inspected the sword he had drawn.



"He took her," William said quietly as he stared at his reflection in the shiny blade before him. "I wasn't able to stop him and he took her from me."



"Who, William? What are you talking about?" King Rupert asked softly as he stepped further into the room.



"Buffy?" Joyce asked with tears in her eyes. "You're talking about Buffy aren't you?"



William turned and looked over toward the door, finally noticing Joyce before straightening his shoulders. "Yes, your majesty. I'm talking about Buffy. Prince Angelus took her."



"Edward," Rupert began. "Sorry.William, how do you know this?"



"Because I was there."



"Is anyone else confused?" Dawn whispered to Willow as she watched the scene before her. "I thought the cute blonde was Prince Edward's page."



"So did we," Willow said, as a wide grin split her lips as she shared a look with Cordelia.



Dawn looked from Willow to Cordelia and back to William before the pieces starting falling into place in her young mind. Her eyes widened comically before her mouth flew open. "William is really the prince!" She shouted.



Willow couldn't help the giggle that escaped her as the adults in the room all turned and look over at them. "We'll, just be.going now," she said as she grabbed Dawn's arm and dragged her out of the room with Cordelia following closely behind.



King Rupert and Joyce finally turned their attention back to William as they girls left and they both had questions they didn't know would get answered. As Joyce slowly walked across the room, she bit back the tears threatening to fall as she stared at the young man she had seen her daughter leave her home with.



"What happened?" She asked him, fear for her daughter's safety once again returning.



William sighed heavily as he looked between his father and Joyce before his shoulders once again drooped. "Prince Angelus attacked the carriage. I managed to get Buffy to safety and we made our way to the Enchanted Forest. After leaving, Angelus sent the Trolothan. It took her."



"The carriage? How do you know of that?" King Rupert asked, confused.



William rolled his eyes in irritation before looking at his father. "I picked up the princess in Parissa. I sent Xander to the country posing as me so I could meet the princess without all the stress of her knowing it was me, but that's not the point."



"I see," King Rupert said, still not sure of what he was being told. "But, what is this about the Trolothan?"



"Angelus sent it after us," William told him as he went back to the weapons. "It took her."



"Dear lord," Joyce said breathlessly as the images of the limp body hanging from the beast's claws flashed back across her mind. "That monster has my baby," she cried as she looked at Rupert.



"It won't hurt her," King Rupert tried to assure her, hoping he was right. "I am sure that was not Ethan's plan."



"Ethan?" Joyce asked, confused.



"Yes," Rupert told her. "Prince Angelus does nothing unless Ethan has something to gain from it."



"And what would that be?" Joyce asked as she looked between the two men.



"Parissa," William and King Rupert both said in unison.



William turned from them, grabbing up the sheath to the sword and fastened it around his waist before he turned and walked toward the door with the jewel-handled sword in hand. As he reached the doorway, his father's voice halted him.



"Edward, what are you planning on doing?" King Rupert asked him worriedly.



William stopped and turned back to face his father. "I going to get my princess back," he told him as he looked down and sheathed the sword before looking back up. "Don't worry your majesty. I won't return without your daughter."



Joyce smiled as she watched what she now knew was the elusive Prince Edward walk out of the room. She gave a worried glance to King Rupert before she wiped at the lone tear that slowly ran down her cheek.



"Don't worry Joyce," Rupert told her softly. "Once Edward sets his mind to something, he follows through."



The smile Joyce gave him took King Rupert by surprise before she chuckled through her tears. "You may want to get use to calling him William," she said, smiling. "I don't think he much likes being called Edward."



"I believe you may be right," King Rupert said, returning a smile to her. "Do you suppose he's been so angry with me all this time because of that?" He asked, as Joyce took his arm and led him from the room.



"Children don't really need a reason to be angry with us," Joyce said, smiling. "I think it's just their nature."







Buffy slowly opened her eyes and was met with unfamiliar surroundings. She gasped in surprise as she turned her head to the side and saw Prince Angelus sitting in a chair by the bed, staring at her.



"I was beginning to believe you dead," he said, smiling. "It would have made this whole ordeal quite disappointing."



"Where am I?" Buffy demanded as she sat up quickly and scooted to the edge of the bed.



"My home," Angelus told her. "Might as well make yourself comfortable. You'll be here for a very long time."



"I highly doubt that," Buffy spat out at him as she turned and stood from the bed. "You cannot keep me here."



Prince Angelus was up and on his feet before Buffy could make her way to the door and he smiled as he grabbed her. "I don't think so princess, you belong to me now."



Buffy stared at him with wide eyes before a smile curved her lips and she started to laugh. Angelus watched her as she continued, her face turning red as she almost doubled over in laughter.



"Great, another insane one," Angelus sighed. "Boy, does Will know how to pick them or what?" He asked no one as he released Buffy's arm and leaned up against the door and crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm really going to have to start questioning that boy's sanity if he continues to pick the looniest girls in the land for his bride."



Buffy's laughter had died some as Angelus talked and she straightened up before looking at him. "William is not insane, but you are if you think you are going to keep me here," she said, grinning. "I am no man's prize, not yours and not William's. I choose whom I will spend my life with. Not you!"



"That's where you are wrong princess," Angelus said smiling as he pushed himself off the door and took a step toward her. "For once William arrives to reclaim you; you'll have no one but me!"



Buffy felt her blood boil under her skin as Angelus grinned at her. How dare he presume that just because he managed to get her here, that she would just willing go along with his plans. "You underestimate me Prince Angelus," she said smugly. "I have never and will never take orders from someone such as you."



"We'll see about that princess," Angelus said as he chuckled softly. "Make yourself comfortable. I'll be back at dusk so we can become.better acquainted."



Buffy lunged for the door as Angelus opened it and left. She could hear the locks click into place and she screamed as she kicked at the thick wooden door as she pounded on it with her fists. She could hear Angelus' laughter as he left the door and tears were springing to her eyes as the adrenaline of their meeting finally made her realize the situation she was in.



She looked frantically around the room before she saw a small window on the far wall. Running to it, she gasped as she saw the two-story drop to a lower balcony. Fear crept up her spine as she looked out across the land toward where she could barely make out the blurry outline of what she knew was the castle in Alcala.



As the first tear fell, her heart sank as she stared at the vast country before her. How did things come to this? Why, after everything she had been through, did things still seem so wrong?



Sighing heavily, Buffy leaned her head against the cold stone wall on the side of the window. "I'm so sorry William," she said sadly before fresh tears flowed.







Buffy looked up from her seat on the floor by the window when she heard the locks in the door click open. Standing quickly, her mouth opened to protest what ever it was Angelus demanded of her this time but was surprised to see King Rayne instead.



"Ah, Princess Elizabeth, I do hope your accommodations agree with you," he said smiling as he entered. "We had so little time to plan."



"You cannot keep me here!" Buffy said loudly as she took a step toward the door.



"Oh, well I take it you are not enjoying our hospitality then?"



"Hospitality?" Buffy questioned with wide eyes. "You kidnap me, lock me up and expect me to be having a good time? You people are seriously disturbed!"



"Well, let me apologize for Angelus' behavior if he offended you. The boy doesn't think before he speaks." He grinned. "But, I'm sure you will learn to.appreciate him."



Buffy stood awestruck as Ethan stared at her smiling. What did these people want? Surely it was more than just herself.



"Ah, I see your prince has finally arrived," Ethan said, almost bouncing as he looked out the window. "I guess the party is about to begin."



Buffy turned, looking out the window behind her and a smile lit up her face as she saw the army of horses coming toward the castle. William must have made it back to Alcala, she thought as hope started to once again stir in her. A frown soon followed as she realized that this was King Rupert's army and also Prince Edward's.



She walked quickly back to the window, trying to get a better look and to see if she could tell which one Prince Edward was, knowing he was there, or at least assuming he was.



"They're here," Angelus announced happily as he burst through the door to his room. "He brought the whole damn army with him though."



"Well, William was always one to use his head, unlike some," Ethan said as he looked out the window over Buffy's shoulder.



"And what is that suppose to mean?" Angelus asked hatefully.



The mention of William's name caused Buffy's smile to return briefly. She still hadn't figured out a way for them to be together and wasn't sure if she could. "William brought the army?" She asked, turning her head to look at Ethan after what was said finally registered to her.



"Angelus, go sound the alarms," Ethan said, ignoring Buffy and his son's question. "I'll stay and see that our guest stays out of harms way." He grinned.



Angelus gave his father a murderous look before glancing at Buffy. "Well Elizabeth, I do hope you enjoy the show. A good fight always seems to get me.in the mood," he said with a cheeky grin before he turned and left the room.



Buffy hadn't paid any mind to Angelus' statement as she gazed out the window at the army advancing on the castle. A hopeful smile crossed her face of the thought that maybe, just maybe....William was down there somewhere, coming to her rescue.