The angry shouts of men came from every direction as Buffy and William stayed hid in the tall plants. Buffy's breath would hitch in her throat everytime the sounds would come closer, fearing they would soon be caught.



William knew they couldn't stay there and wait the men out and he cursed himself for hurrying the coachman and not waiting for the Royal escort. If the small army searching for them didn't kill him, King Rupert surely would.



"Do you think they'll give up soon?" Buffy whispered, fighting back her fearful tears.



"Not on your life Princess." William answered her before raising his head.



"What are you doing?" Buffy asked as he leaned up to see over the tall plants.



"Just gonna take a little look around."



"They'll see you." Buffy whispered hurriedly trying to pull him back down as William's head poked up through the tall grass.



William looked cautiously around, seeing only two horsemen near by. He knew the others were close by their voices and the sounds of the horses and knew this was his chance.



"I want you to stay right here." William said, leaning back down towards Buffy.



Buffy's eyes widened when she realized he was leaving her there and the tears stung her eyes knowing she would be alone. "Please don't leave me here." She whispered, fearing if anything happened to him, her chances of making it out of this unharmed were slim.



"I'll be back for you." William told her, smiling best he could.



"Do you promise?" Buffy asked weakly, her voice crackling as her tears chocked her.



"I promise." He said, the smile on his face warming and calming the fears in Buffy. "Just stay put and don't move."



Buffy shook her head, her breath almost gone as she watched him lean up and look around. With one last glance at her, William stood and was gone.



No fear had ever gripped her like this one had as William quickly left her sight. Not even the attack on her Castle or the hooded man she had seen stab her father to death from her hiding place. Her whole body was shaking and she tried with all her strength to calm, knowing she would be found if anyone looked hard enough. She could hear the grass shifting around her and she wondered briefly if anyone could hear the loud thumping of her heart as it raced in her chest.



William ran, ducking behind a tree as the two horsemen turned their horse, heading back towards Buffy's hiding place. His mind was working overtime, trying to figure out what to do. He could see the majority of the men up ahead and the sight of the leader caused a small growl to escape him as his hatred for the man began to boil inside of him.



Knowing he would rather be tortured and die a thousand deaths before he let the smug, cruel intentions of Prince Angelus harm Princess Elizabeth, William searched his surroundings. Seeing a large piece of wood, he cautiously picked it up, shaking his head at the almost laughable weapon as the two horseman came closer.



"Did you hear something?" one of the horsemen asked, slowing his horse so he could hear clearly, the crunching of the leaves and branches under the horses' feet distracting him.



"What it sound like?" the other man asked, slowing his horse as well.



"Don't know, like a tapping."



"Probably just a bird or something or a limb falling."



"Yeah" he said, straining his eyes to see through the thick trees as he and his partner slowly made there way closer to where Buffy was still hidden.



William stepped around the tree, hiding himself as the men came closer, cursing under his breath as the leaves crunched under his feet. He looked in both directions, seeing more men off to his left, closer to where he had left the Princess and he knew he needed to act quickly.



With a deep breath and a movement so quick he briefly wondered where he acquired the grace for such an act, he sprang around the tree, slapping the horse hard across the leg, causing it to rear up from the startling blow.



The rider on his back yelled, falling backwards and hitting the ground hard as William grabbed him quickly, removing his sword from his hand as the other man turned quickly to help his falling friend.



Without so much as a blink of his eye, William buried the tip of the sword in the fallen mans chest, pleased at the sickening sound the blade man as he pulled it out.



The other horseman yelled, turning his horse and charging at the man on the ground, his sword raised in the air as he approached. William stood his ground, the muscles twitching in his jaw as the man charged at him and with another quick leap to the left, sprang out of the horses' path, bringing his sword up and catching the rider across the stomach as he passed.



The scream the man let out echoed through the forest and Buffy jumped, the sound causing her eyes to slam shut, fearing it was the only man there who could help her. A small sob escaped her as she heard the clambering of the horses' hooves as they pounded on the ground, the sound coming closer.



Forcing her eyes open, Buffy bit back her fear, knowing if William had fallen, she only had herself to save her now. Raising her head slightly, she took a deep breath, peering through the grass to see exactly how close the men were.



What she saw had her eyes widening hugely as four men were quickly charging towards her and from where she was laying, it looked as if they would trample her if she didn't move and fast.



Scrambling to her feet, Buffy raised herself up and ran, the voices of the men ringing in her ears as they saw her.



"Get her!" one man yelled, the other three laughing as the chase was on.



Buffy grabbed the hem of her light blue silk dress as it snagged on a branch, the material ripping as she jerked it up, bundling the material up in her hands as she ran faster than she thought possible.



Everything was a blur, the trees passing her quickly as her breathe was coming in pants as the men followed. Her chest ached as the wind wiped through her open mouth, a silent scream forcing its way out as she ran for her life.



Running around trees, Buffy scanned the area hoping to find a way out of the maze she found herself in. The distant cries of the men behind her fading as her only goal was to run and fast.



Buffy glanced behind her, a mistake she soon found out as she tripped, falling over a log that had been covered by the tall grass. Her head whipped quickly around, scanning the area and finding it odd no one was there. Righting herself, Buffy dismissed the shooting pain in her leg and ran, her fear driving her as she saw the road they had been traveling on earlier.



Pushing her hair back out of her face, she sprinted towards the road, knowing it was probably a mistake leaving the shelter of the forest, but the rough terrain she had been running on was only slowing her down.



As she made it to the road, she ran, her speed picking up on the hardened dirt. She could see the carriage they had been traveling in twisted and broken as it lay on its side by the road, the horses still attached to it desperately trying to free themselves.



"What's the hurry?" the voice behind Buffy said, causing her to stop and spin around.



The dark figure perched high upon the black stallion smiled down at her, the sneering smile on his face causing her already present fear to escalate. She wasn't sure if the dizzy feelings in her head were from the lack of oxygen in her lungs, her worn out body or from the fear of seeing Prince Angelus sitting there smiling at her.



"Now, I thought we had such a great time at your little party and then my father tells me, you're not interested." He said smiling as he slowly made his way to her. "I was almost crushed, but then I figured I'd just make things right as I always do."



"By kidnapping me?" Buffy asked as she backed away from his approach.



"Well, it's your fault it had to be this way."



"Why, because I found you lacking the skills to rule my Kingdom?" Buffy asked, her anger at him and his smug behavior rising.



The laugh he let out rang through her, sending chills up her spine as she looked at him. "Oh and you think Prince Edward is the better man to do that?" he asked, his smile scaring her more than the thoughts of him capturing her. "Edward is no ruler; he can't even attend to his own affairs, let alone the affairs of a Kingdom."



"And you would know this how?" ~Buffy asked, glancing to her left and right as she continued to walk backwards as he slowly advanced on her.



"He couldn't even keep his last bride safe, or keep her from straying," he said with a wide smile, "How do you think he will ever be able to protect you or rule your Kingdom?"



Buffy's heart ached in her chest and she wasn't sure the reason. She knew nothing about Prince Edward and she was seriously doubting a man she had never even met.



"I mean, he was so busy playing in the wonderland of his own self absorbent that he couldn't even escort his future Queen to his home?" Angelus said grinning, "Kind of makes me wonder if he cares for you at all."



"And I am to assume you do since you went to so much trouble in rescuing me from him?" Buffy asked angrily.



"Oh, I care Princess." Angelus said, his smile completely gone now. "I care about your land, the riches it holds and" he said, giving her a long look from head to toe, "I care about the way you'll feel once I make you my bride."



Buffy's throat went completely dry as his eyes drank her in and just the way he looked at her caused her heart to speed up in her chest. Without thinking, she turned to her right, darting back into the forest, her legs carrying her as fast as they could as she heard Prince Angelus yell, signaling his horse to follow.



Tears streamed down her face, clouding her vision as she saw more men approaching from the distance off to her left. Jumping the small logs in her path, Buffy raised her dress higher, trying to aid her legs in a wider reach as she ran.



"Elizabeth!"



Buffy turned her head and stopped, her tears coming faster and a small sob escaping her as she saw William coming towards her from the right. She had never seen anything that took her breath away more than the sight of him as he speed towards her, the horse he had managed to obtain jumping everything in its path.



Looking behind her, Buffy saw Angelus coming quickly, his anger written on his face as he saw William. The group of men to her left fast approaching and as she caught sight of William as she turned back to him, she ran.



William grabbed the reins tight, holding himself on the horse as he leaned to the right as Buffy ran to him.



"Jump!" he yelled as he held his arm out to her as he approached.



Buffy's heart almost stopped as she leaped forward, William's arm catching her around the waist and her eyes slammed shut as she felt herself being picked up and swung around.



When she felt the horse under her, her eyes snapped open and her arms instinctively wound themselves around William's neck, holding on tightly as they suddenly turned and dashed through the forest.



Buffy buried her face in William's shoulder, the tears that had been slowly coming, falling faster as she held on to the man that had come back for her. The arm wrapped protectively around her waist tightened its hold as the horse raced through the forest.



She could hear the sound of arrows whipping through the trees and the jolt the horse suddenly made caused her grip on William to tighten as their horse bolted.



William held onto Buffy, her fear evident as the hold around his neck seemed to tighten. He pushed the horse faster, the sound of the men behind them fading as they slowly out ran them.



The arm he had around her waist pulled her closer to him, trying to reassure her she was safe for the time being. He could feel her tears soaking the material of his shirt and the small whimpering sounds as she tried not to cry only fueled his hatred for the man who had attacked them.



"Don't cry Princess." William whispered, lowering his head slightly, "You're safe now." He told her as the forest was slowly giving way to more open areas.



Buffy slowly lifted her head, looking over William's shoulder, relief flooding her as no one seemed to be following. She sighed lightly, her eyes shutting as her body slowly relaxed.



William felt her body slack against him but her grip around his neck remained. He smiled as they continued their way through the forest when Buffy laid her head on his shoulder and her warm breath played against his neck.



Buffy's breath was evening out, the heaving in her chest almost non existent as William kept his arm tightly around her waist as her fear slowly left her, being replaced by the warm embrace of her protector.