18-May



Your Royal Majesty,



I regretfully have the task of informing you that the Carriage sent to bring Princess Elizabeth to Alcala has been attacked and she, along with Edwards page are no where to be found. Please be assured that everything is being done to find her and bring her safely home.



The Royal army will not stop looking until she is safely returned. Her personal belongings have been recovered and brought here to Alcala. There is an open invitation to you and your daughters to join me here to await word.



I am so very sorry and do hope to hear from you soon.



King Rupert of Alcala





Joyce sat down heavily, the note hanging limply in her hand as a small tear fell silently down her cheek. Her baby was gone? How did this happen?



"Mother, is everything okay?" Willow asked from the doorway of her Mother's chamber.



Joyce looked up, seeing the concern on her daughters face before she stood. "Go pack your belongings and get your sisters to do the same." She said quickly as she walked to her desk. "Tell Matthew to get the Carriage ready as well, we leave in an hour."



"Mother, you're scaring me, what's happening?"



Joyce bit back the sobs ready to escape and looked at her daughter. "The carriage sent to retrieve Buffy has been attacked, she is missing. We haven't much time, please go do as asked."



"Yes Mother." Willow said quickly before turning and running down the hall, tears threatening to fall as she did.



"Where's the fire?" Dawn asked as she saw Willow run past the library as she stepped out.



Willow stopped at her sister's voice, turning and looking at her. "Go pack your things, we leave in an hour!"



"What's wrong?" Dawn asked, scarred at the look on Willow's face.



"Buffy's missing. Mother is preparing to go to Alcala, now hurry." Willow informed her before once again turning and taking off down the hall. "Inform Cordelia!" she yelled back over her shoulder at Dawn before turning the corner and searching for Matthew.





_______________________________________





William stretched his arms out, laying them across his upraised knees as he sat on the ground looking out across the valley. He had finally insisted that they stop for a while as Buffy had began to look more fatigued than he had ever seen her. He knew she would have kept going, just to prove that she could, but he knew she needed the rest.



His point had been proven not ten minutes after sitting down when he glanced over and found her fast asleep. William turned his head, looking back over at her as she lay in the short grass that surrounded her. She looked like an angel with the sun's rays bouncing off of the golden curls of her hair. He smiled as his eyes roamed over her form, the small flowers that scattered the hillside surrounding her, creating a picture more beautiful than anything he could ever imagine.



Her head was titled to the side with her left arm draped loosely across her waist and even with dirt marring her face she was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Leaning back, William propped himself up on an elbow, his attention still on the woman beside him. He had never thought a woman would seize his heart so quickly, but one look at Elizabeth and he knew. She was what he had been searching for.



She was everything he could have ever asked for. She was funny and caring, sweet and feisty and her beauty surpassed any he had ever seen. The only distressing thing about his feelings for her was Prince Angelus and his relentless pursuit of her. How would he be able to keep her safe and at what price?



Sighing heavily, William finally looked away, laying down on his back and staring up at the sky. He watched the clouds move across the bluest sky he had seen in days and his thoughts were carried to another time and place. Anger swelled inside him along with a fear he hated himself for having. He would do everything in his power to protect Buffy but would it be enough?





________________________________________





Prince Angelus rode slowly through the forest, his eyes trained to every movement he saw. They had found a second camp at which he assumed was where the Princess and William had stayed and after a short rest they were once again on their way.



The forest was becoming more difficult to maneuver threw as the trees were thick. He was becoming more agitated as time went on and knew at this pace his chances of finding them were growing thin. William wasn't nearly as stupid as Angelus liked to believe and he knew that the boy would do everything in his power to protect the Princess even if that meant angering the gods and entering the Enchanted Forest.



They had to make up their lost time once they hit the valley and hoped that by being on foot, William and Elizabeth would tire and need more rest. His whole plan hinged on the hopes that he reached them before they entered the forest. Ethan had assured him that even if they were protected by the forest, that they would still be able to attain her, only the task would be more difficult.



Stopping, Angelus let out an angry growl as their path was blocked by the thicket of trees that seemed to trap them. Backing his horse up, he held to his men as they all retreated and searched for another way out of the forest.





________________________________________





Buffy stretched and smiled as the sun's rays had warmed her, engulfing her in a blanket of warmth. She lazily blinked her eyes, smiling as the sight of William lying next to her caused a small contented sigh to escape her throat.



Sitting up, she looked around, stretching out her arms and pulling the kinks from her neck as she looked across the valley towards the forest. It looked so far away but even from this distance she could almost feel the power of it pulling her. The sun shone on the tree tops, the blue haze it caused as it reflected off the trees lining the outer skirts and anticipation of what they would find there had her eager to get moving again.



Looking back over at William, Buffy smiled again as she stared at him. Never had she thought of a man as being beautiful, but that was the only word she could think of to describe him. His features were strong and captivating with lean muscles encased in smooth pale skin and just the sound of his voice elicited chills through out her body.



Looking down, she grinned widely as she picked the small purple flower that stood between them, pulling it from the ground before reaching her hand out. She grinned big as William's nose twitched from side to side as she ran the flowers petals softly under his nose. She suppressed a giggle as she ran it up his cheek, watching him bring his hand up, swatting unsuccessfully at the flower as she quickly pulled it away.



Holding back her giggles, Buffy once again ran the flower across Williams face, lightly tracing the sharp line of his cheekbone before bringing it across the bridge of his nose and down across his lips. Buffy stilled her hand, watching as the bright purple petals lay softly across the pink expanse of Williams lips before she slowly moved it across them. She was so engrossed in what she was doing that she never saw his eyes open as he looked up at her.



William just lay there and watched her, his already enamored feelings for her growing as he watched her study him as she ran the sweet smelling flower across his lips. He held his breath, knowing his breathing would get out of control if he didn't physically suppress it and his concentration was broken as Buffy turned her eyes to his.



Buffy saw the once crystal blue orbs staring back at her. The swirling colors in his eyes darkening as he stare up at her and the once embarrassed feeling of the heat that always seemed to rise in her face when she made eye contact with him made her own breathing increase as William rose from his position, sitting up and facing her.



All rational thoughts vanished from Buffy's mind as she realized how close they were and with all her power, she couldn't look away.



William stared at her, blue clashing with green as he stare deeply into her eyes. The mass of green that pulled him made his heart skip in his chest. Reaching down, William lifted the flower from her hand, bringing it up before running it across her chin, tracing her jaw.



Buffy's breath was coming in short pants as her eyes fluttered shut as she felt the same flower she had explored his features with now skim softly across her skin. Her lips parted slightly as she felt the feather soft touch of the petals skim across them before it ran up her cheek.



Opening her eyes, she looked at him with hooded lids as she realized she had unconscientiously moved closer. William moved her hair away from her face, placing the flower behind her ear before running his finger down her cheek. His eyes followed his fingers path as he brushed them softly across her skin. His breath caught in his throat as the small pink tip of her tongue darted out between her lips, moistening them before his finger ran across it, gathering up the moisture left behind.



"You are so beautiful." He whispered, his eyes once again returning to hers as his hand came to rest on her cheek.



Buffy could feel his words as they played across her lips and even though physical contact never came, it felt like the sweetest kiss she had ever received. She stare up at him, his breath mingling with hers as they were close enough to touch. She briefly wondered why he hadn't closed the distance until she realized he was waiting for her permission to kiss her.



Her heart soared in her chest and screamed yes to his silent question as she longed to taste him but the constant hammering in her head had her suddenly hating who she was. Pulling back, Buffy dropped her eyes, closing them as the tears of her misfortune stung them. "I'm sorry." She whispered, her head hung in disappointment. "But I can not." She said, knowing as future Queen to Prince Edward, she couldn't allow anything to come between the union that had to be made, not even a forbidden love that she knew she would long for till her death.



William smiled; letting out the breath he had withheld before he reached out and hooked his finger under Buffy's chin and raised her head. "Prince Edward will be grateful to know he has such a loyal bride. Your commitment to him is most honorable."



Buffy smiled weakly, pleased with herself for stopping what she knew would have been the end of the treaty her Mother had worked so hard to attain and disappointed at the same time for not being allowed the smallest pleasure of releasing her feelings for William. She could see the same disappointment in his eyes as well and the sight alone gave her small comfort in at least knowing he did feel the same for her.



Leaning up, Buffy placed a small kiss on William's cheek, lingering there for a moment before pulling back. "Thank you." She said softly as she looked back up at him.



"For what?" William asked, confused by her words.



Buffy smiled, her heart breaking and filling with joy at the same time. "For giving me the one thing I thought I'd never find."



"And what was that?" he asked softly, his head tilting slightly as he looked at her.



Buffy's smile brightened as her heart filled with a love that she thought she would never experience and knew could never be, before she finally looked away and stood. "We better get going." She said as she brushed the grass from her dress and looked out over the valley. Not waiting, she slowly started walking, leaving William sitting on the ground as her heart slowly broke; one tiny piece at a time.





________________________________________





Angelus smiled triumphfully as the tress of the forest cleared and his view of the valley spanned as far as he could see. His small group of men slowly came to stop around him, their delighted voices carrying over the hills as he looked towards Alcala.



"It shouldn't be hard to find them now." Angelus informed his men. "I'm sure they've made it out of the forest by now and if I assume correctly, William will head straight for the forest." He told them, searching the valley for any signs of them.



"What shall we do when we find them sire?" one of his men asked.



"Acquire the Princess and leave William to me." He said with a twisted smile. "This is one fight I am eager to win."



The laughter of his men rang out over the valley as Prince Angelus let out a yell, his horse bolting from its place as the group sprang from their spot on the hilltop and descended onto the valley. Smiles lit up the faces of them all as the final leg of their journey was rapidly coming to an end.





________________________________________





Buffy could see the sun setting as they neared the Forest. Her heart was beginning to beat faster in her chest as they approached. Her fear of entering was combined with the adrenaline rush of finally seeing what lie inside the boundaries.



She and William had been walking for what seemed like hours without stopping. William had said he didn't want to rest again until they were safely inside the forest. They hadn't eaten all day and Buffy was moving slowly as hunger engulfed her small frame.



Only a few words had been spoken between them since their `almost' kiss on the hillside. Buffy could still feel his words; the soft wisp of warmth that caressed her lips when he told her she was beautiful brought a tiny smile to her face. If she never got to experience what it felt like to be in his arms and feel all that he was, knowing that he felt the same for her was enough.



William glanced at Buffy out of the corner of his eye, seeing the tiny smile that seemed to brighten her entire face. He wondered what she were thinking and hoped it were him as she had been on his mind all evening. He had never wanted for anything the way he had wanted to kiss her back on that hill but knew he couldn't overstep his bounds with her, and no matter how much he wanted her, he wouldn't do anything to dishonor her.



He finally sighed heavily, looking back at the forest as they approached. The shadows from the large trees loomed in the distance as the sun had begun to descend. Running a hand over his face, William looked forward to the shelter the forest would provide as his own body felt fatigued from the long hours of walking.



A light rumbling finally caught his attention causing his head to turn from side to side as he searched for the source of the sound. Finally stopping as it seemed to grow louder, William turned, scanning the area.



Buffy saw William stop and she also stopped as the look on his face puzzled her. That's when she heard it, the distant rumble that seemed to grow more loudly the longer they stood. "What is that?" she asked, the sound causing a small fear to creep up her spine.



"Not sure." William said as he looked out over the valley before turning back to the forest.



"Do you think it's coming from the forest?" Buffy asked as she looked back at the trees off in the distance.



"I don't think so." William told her. "I've been closer to the forest than this and I've never heard anything like this before."



Buffy turned as he did, both of them looking across the valley. Looking back the way they had came her eyes widened and her heart slammed against her chest.



"Buffy" William said as he slowly took a few steps backwards. "I want you to run and don't stop till you reach the forest." He said turning to look at her.



Buffy was frozen in her spot as she saw the small figures on horseback making their way towards them. Fear had her paralyzed as she knew Prince Angelus had found them.



"Buffy!" William yelled, grabbing her by the shoulders and turning her to face him. "Did you hear me?"



Buffy blinked her eyes, finally registering that he was speaking to her before nodding her head.



"No matter what happens you don't stop running until you are safely inside the forest boundaries, you understand!?"



"Yes." Buffy said softly, as she felt tears stinging her eyes.



"Good, now let's go!" William said as he grabbed her arm and ran.



Prince Angelus laughed as he saw William and Elizabeth running in the distance. There was no way they would out run him and the thoughts of a fight had his laughter ringing in the ears of his men. "Well men, this is it!" he yelled as he pushed his horse faster. "Let's go get my Queen."



William was practically dragging Buffy towards the forest as the sound of Angelus' men came nearer. Fear was rising in him as he and Buffy ran for the safety of the forest. He knew as much as Angelus wanted Buffy, that he would take as much pleasure in killing him as well.



"Buffy you have to go faster!" William yelled, pulling her along with him.



"I can't!" Buffy yelled back, her breath coming in pants as her body screamed in pain.



"You have to!"



Buffy lifted her dress higher, hearing the fear in his voice as she put every ounce of energy she had into her stride. Her body ached as she ran for her life, knowing that if Angelus caught her, his cruelty would be the death of her.



"Don't stop until you reach the forest!" William said as he finally let go of Buffy's arm.



Buffy picked her legs up higher, widening her stride as the forest grew closer. She could hear William just behind her now and she pushed herself still faster. He muscles ached and tears filled her eyes as she stared into the darkened forest, the sound of the horses coming closer.



William was at a loss as to what to do. Buffy was going to be taken from him and there was nothing he could do about it. Slowing, he let her get ahead of him before he looked behind him to see how close they were. It was a mistake he quickly realized when he tripped and fell.



Buffy heard the grunt of pain William made as he fell and looked back over her shoulder and saw him. She slowed as she looked at him but turned back around as he stood and yelled for her to keep going.



William righted himself, running again as Angelus closed in on him. Buffy had put a small distance between them and he smiled thinking she just may make it. "Don't stop!" he yelled out to her. "Run faster!"



Angelus had laughed when he saw William fall and he motioned for his men to do as they had been instructed as his sights were now on William. Kicking his horse, he yelled as he darted away from the others, William his main goal.



William turned his head, seeing Angelus approach him and he made the decision to do the only thing he knew how to protect Buffy. Stopping, he turned and faced the man coming towards him knowing `he' was what Angelus would go after first.



Angelus smiled as he saw William stop and slowed his horse as he neared him. Grabbing his sword, he pulled it from it's sheath as a large smile broke out on his face.



William turned looking back at Buffy, hope rising in him as she was very near the forest. He was glad she had listened and kept going before he turned back to face Angelus.



Angelus' smile broadened as he slowed his horse, his men still in pursuit of the Princess as he sprang from his horse and ran towards William. William stood at the ready as Angelus rushed him before he ran, throwing himself at him.



Buffy could hear the horses coming closer and her fear ran rampant. She pushed herself till she thought she would fall from the mere speed of her movements as the forest boundaries were just within her reach.



"Get her!" Buffy heard one of the men yell and she wondered why William hadn't caught up to her yet but to afraid to look and see. He told her `not' to stop and she would do as he told her to. The dark shadows of the forest engulfed her and she felt a slight reassuring comfort as she knew she was going to make it.



William dodged the blow Angelus threw at him before kicking out and catching him in the leg. He smiled as Angelus yelled in pain and kicked out again, his booted foot connecting with Angelus' chin.



The splatter of blood that flew from his mouth and the dizzying feelings in his head from the hard kick angered Angelus as he turned and brought his sword up, swiping at William. The grunt William let out and the feel of his blade coming into contact with him was enough to clear his head as he quickly stood. Seeing the large gash and splash of red across William's chest caused a small chuckle to escape him as he once again lunged at him.



Buffy's mind was blank as she ran; the only thought going through her mind was to get to the forest. She no longer heard the men following her or the fight that was going on behind her as her eyes were wide with fear. A small sob escaped her throat as she picked her legs up, jumping the tall shrubbery that lined the forest before she finally made it to her destination. Not stopping, Buffy continued to run, dodging the trees as she ran into the shelter of the darkened forest.



"Don't let her get away!" one of the men yelled as they all stopped outside the forest boundaries, their horses heaving in breaths of air as they stomped the ground.



"I'm not going in there!" another yelled as he feared the forest.



"Angelus will kill us all if we don't capture her."



"The forest will kill us if we enter!"



"That's just a wives tale!"



"Then go in yourself! I'm not stepping foot inside there!"



Turning his head, the man in charge looked back at Angelus, knowing he would soon have ended William's life and he would be ready for the Princess. Sighing heavily, he dismounted and walked to the forest boundaries, the others watching in awe as he pulled his sword and ventured into the darkness.



Buffy had finally stopped running, knowing they wouldn't enter. She turned, looking around and fear once again consumed her as William was no where in sight. "William!" she yelled, hoping he had just veered off in another direction. Listening, she heard the footsteps of someone coming through the trees and she smiled knowing it was William. Running back the way she had came she stopped suddenly when she heard a man yell, the painful screams sending chills up her spine.



"I told you the forest wouldn't allow it!" one of Angelus' men yelled as they heard the frightful screams of their friend. "Only the pure of heart may enter!" he told them before he turned his horse away. "We will all die if we enter that place!"



Glancing back at Angelus, the men wondered what would be worse, death at Angelus' hand or death by what lie in the forest. Knowing either one would be painful, an unspoken agreement was made between them as they all turned, fleeing from certain death and leaving Angelus to his own devises.



Buffy finally ran towards the scream she had heard, thinking William may have been hurt. She saw a clump of clothing up ahead and ran, fear running through her. Slowing as she approached, she realized it wasn't William or anyone else for that matter. All that lay there were a mass of clothing and a sword. Reaching out, Buffy picked up the sword, the handle still warm from where it had been gripped in the previous owner's hand. Kicking at the clothing, her brow furrowed curiously wondering what had happened to the man that should have been in them.



William fought with everything in him, kicking and punching at Angelus while trying to stay clear from the sword Angelus still swung at him. His chest burnt from the gash Angelus had cut across him and his hatred for this man consumed him as he fought for his life and Buffy's.



Buffy ran towards the forest boundaries, the heavy sword held in her hand tightly as she searched for William. Seeing out into the valley, she noticed the men that had been following her had vanished just as the man that had come in after her had. Seeing a lone horse, she raised the sword, stepping around a tree and seeing Angelus and William fighting. Desire to run to them coursed through her but she knew any distraction would probably be a mistake William didn't need.



She saw the red stain of blood running across the front of William shirt and a small gasp escaped her throat knowing he was hurt. Her eyes were wide as she watched them fight. Fear and awe consumed her as she watched William protect himself and her against Angelus.



Her eyes were riveted from one to the other as they battled each other, Angelus' sword swinging at William as he dodged the blows. She smiled slightly, seeing the power William held as he fought a man clearly larger than he himself was and still he held his ground.



She jumped as Angelus kicked his leg out, catching William's and sending him crashing to the ground. She watched with wide fearful eyes as Angelus brought his sword up high swinging it down forcefully.



"WILLIAM!!!"