It felt as if time had stood still. No movements could be seen as the world slowly darkened in her eyes. The once green fields covered in a rainbow of colorful wildflowers had turned grey, leaving the scene before her in a blanket of despair. She vaguely heard the painful sounds of screaming echoing in her ears and as she ran she realized it was her own desperate wailings as she ran towards William and his attacker.



Angelus looked up as Buffy's screams reached his ears and he watched as she ran towards them, the smile on his face widening and a small chuckle escaped his throat as he realized capturing Buffy would be easier than killing William would be. The thought was short lived though as his feet were kicked out from under him and he fell hard, hitting the ground flat on his back. He stare up at the darkening sky, blinking and trying to catch the breath that had been knocked from his lungs as anger filled him and as he started to sit up to finish off William, a bright explosion of light lit up the night and darkness over took him as his body once again slumped to the ground.



Buffy was blinded by her tears, and a sob escaped her throat as she saw William roll over and deliver a hard kick to the side of Angelus' head. The stocky brunette fell to the ground, his body lying motionless as William leaned on one arm before he also fell.



Buffy was out of breath as she finally made it to him. She could barely see as tears clouded her vision and she dropped the heavy sword she had been dragging as she fell to her knees.



"William." Buffy said frantically, looking down at him and she gasped as she reached out and rolled his body to her. His entire face was covered in blood from the gash in his eyebrow that Angelus had effectively been able to make as he swung the sword down and Buffy thanked the gods for giving him the strength to roll out of the way before the killing blow had being made.



Reaching out to the hem of her dress, Buffy quickly pulled the ripped material, shredding a large piece of the silk away as William lie motionless on the ground, before wiping the blood from his face. His left eye was pooled with his blood and the cut was still leaking the crimson liquid and running down his face.



"William, can you hear me?" Buffy asked as she tried to wipe the blood away before ripping another piece of the dress apart and bunching the material up over the cut. William winced in pain as the pressure Buffy was applying to the cut stung and Buffy smiled weakly knowing he was at least semi-conscience.



"William, please answer me?" Buffy said, frowning as William lie silently unmoving. Buffy continued to wipe the blood from his face, the cut in his eyebrow slowing its release of blood as the pressure she had been forcing on it was finally began to staunch the bleeding.



Buffy sighed heavily, looking up at the forest before turning to look around. No one else was in sight and the sun had almost set. Her eyes fell on Angelus as he lay unconscious at William's feet and her anger and hatred at him for what he had done to William boiled within her as she glanced over to the sword he had dropped. The thoughts of killing him and freeing both her and William from his torment ran through her mind and she knew she would be able to do it as he lay motionless on the ground.



Turning her body, she reached out slowly, her green eyes large and wide as she reached for the fallen sword. Her breath was coming quickly as the adrenaline rush at what she was about to do had her pulse racing. Grabbing the shiny metal, she pulled it to her, feeling the cold steel in her hand.



"Buffy"



Buffy jumped as William said her name and she dropped the sword, her body turning quickly as she looked back down at him. "William?" she said, a ghost of a smile turning the corners of her mouth up as she stare down at him. "William can you hear me?" she asked as she reached down, laying her hand on his cheek.



William swallowed hard, his mouth completely dry as his entire body ached. The sharp pain in his face causing him to stiffen as his head throbbed in time with his pulse. He could hear Buffy talking to him, but he was having trouble answering her as he felt the outside world slowly slipping away as his tired body fought for consciousness.



"William please answer me." Buffy almost begged, her tears once again returning as she continued to rub his face.



William opened his mouth, but no words came as pain gripped his body. His eyes fluttered open slightly, barely catching a glimpse of Buffy as she sat beside of him and he slowly raised his arm, bringing his hand up to rest over hers.



Buffy smiled through her tears as William grabbed the hand she had resting on his face and a small sob escaped her throat as he lightly squeezed her hand, her fears slowly lifting as she stare down into his bloody and bruised face.



"Shhh, don't cry luv." William whispered, hearing her quiet sobs as he fought to remain conscience. "You need to go to the forest."



Buffy dried her eyes with her free hand before looking back at the forest. She knew he was right. They couldn't stay out in the middle of the field all night and the thoughts of Angelus waking were nagging at her mind. Looking around, Buffy smiled as she saw Angelus' horse grazing on the grass before she looked back down at William. "I'll be right back." She told him before slowly standing.



Walking towards the horse, Buffy knew she would need him to get William to the forest as there was no way she could carry him. Reaching out she grabbed the reins and gently pulled the horse forward.



"William, can you sit up?" Buffy asked as she once again knelt down beside of him. She waited for an answer, looking down into his face and frowning as he didn't answer her. "William, I need you to wake up." Buffy told him as she shook him lightly trying to stir him awake.



William groaned as Buffy shook him, his body once again aching from the injuries he had taken from Angelus. His eyes fluttered open a few times before he forced them to stay open. He stare up at Buffy and could see the concern on her face as she looked at him before a tiny smile graced her face.



"Hey, do you think you can stay awake for a few minutes longer?" Buffy asked, smiling down at him. "We need to get you up?"



William shook his head as Buffy reached out and grabbed him under his arms and pulled him up. William groaned loudly as a sharp pain shot through his rib cage, making him dizzy as he brought his arm around and holding his ribs.



"You okay?" Buffy asked concerned as William's head fell forward and his eyes clenched shut.



"Yeah, just give me a minute." William gasped out softly as he held his bruised ribs. He took deep breaths, trying to push the pain away and gritted his teeth together, fighting the pain before his foggy brain finally realized his position.



His head was nestled in Buffy's chest, her warm skin almost searing his flesh and he inhaled deeply, taking in what little scent that was still all hers in as he felt her hand slowly running over his head. His pain was forgotten as he shifted his head slightly, tucking it tightly under Buffy's chin and smiling as Buffy's arms wrapped around him tighter. He sat there, enjoying the feel of her against him and the way she was caressing him like he was the most precious thing in the world to her.



Buffy had her eyes closed, her mind a whirlwind of emotions as she held William to her. A part of her wanted to distance herself from him, knowing she was only adding to her own misery but the other part, the part of her that knew that she would never be able to love him the way she wanted to held on to the simple act of comforting him. She knew it wasn't much, but it was all she could give him and it saddened her having to face the reality of her situation again. With a heavy sigh, she finally opened her eyes and lifted her head. "Think you can stand?"



William nodded his head, already missing the feel of her against him as Buffy slowly stood and helped him to his feet. He spared a glance at Angelus, the urge to ram his own sword through him overwhelming as Buffy led him to Angelus' horse.



After many painful tries and fighting to control the tears that were ready to spill forward as William's battle beaten body raged, Buffy had finally managed to get him seated on the horse. Reaching down, Buffy picked up the sword she had dropped before she grabbed hold of the reins. She turned her head and smiled up at William before she slowly walked towards the forest, leading the horse and its precious cargo into the safety of the darkness that lie ahead.





________________________________________





Buffy was almost in tears as she tried to start a fire unsuccessfully. She had watched William do it many times and she couldn't understand why it wasn't working for her. She glanced over at him, the shadows of the forest barely leaving him visible to her as darkness was quickly engulfing the area.



She had been able to find a large grassy area and after a painful descent from the horse, William had finally fallen into a deep sleep. She knew he needed the rest, so she had made him as comfortable as she could, pillowing his head on the spare clothes she had found in one of the satchels attached to Angelus' horse.



Turning once again, Buffy tried to start the fire. She was tiring quickly as her food deprived body was running on nothing and she didn't want to spend the rest of the evening alone in the dark with nothing to comfort her but the sound of William's breathing.



Her eyes widened suddenly and a huge smile split her face as she smelled the first signs of smoke. A delighted chuckle escaped her throat and she turned her head, ready to squeal out her success to William only to look back at the tiny flame that she had managed to create when she realized he was to far gone to notice.



Gathering up the small twigs from around her, Buffy added them to the flame, delighting in the fire she had created. The small flame grew as she scooted back, adding larger pieces of wood to it until a bright glow illuminated the area and she sighed in relief as she stare into the now raging fire.



Standing, Buffy searched the area, grabbing the scattered rocks she found and surrounded the fire as she had seen William do before she quickly scanned the area for more wood to keep the fire going. As she laid the last bit of firewood down, Buffy let out a long cleansing breath before she turned to Angelus' horse and removed the large satchels that it carried.



Carrying them over to the fire, Buffy sat back down and began going through the contents and she almost cried out as she found a large roll of sweet bread. She quickly broke a piece off before bringing a shaky hand to her mouth and closing her eyes as the first food she had had since waking made it into her mouth.



Buffy began to rummage further into the bag as she enjoyed her small meal, delighted in finding more food and flasks of clean water. She was almost tempted in waking William, knowing he needed to eat as well, but one look at his face had her thinking better of it.



She let her gaze travel over his form and a frown covered her face as she saw the blood that was now drying over various parts of his body. His knuckles were raw and dried blood caked his hands. His shirt was torn and she could see a large gash running across his chest but his face was what terrified her the most. It was still covered in blood, although it was mostly dry now. His lips were swollen as were his eyes and large cuts marred his once perfect pale flesh.



Sitting the satchel to the side, Buffy stood and walked over to him, sitting down on the ground beside of him as she continued to look him over. Large purple bruises covered his face as she held back the tears that were stinging her eyes. Raising her hand, she laid it on his cheek, softly running her fingertips over his skin. An overwhelming rush of emotions surged through her and the tears she had been trying to hold back finally came forward.



Buffy cried, laying her head on William's chest as her fear at what could have happened to him finally hit her. Her protected life had left her unprepared for horrors such as what she had witnessed earlier. Her fathers death at the hands of an unknown assailant would forever haunt her but to stand and witness the brutal attack that almost took William's life had scared her beyond anything she had ever witnessed.



Lifting her head, Buffy wiped her eyes dry and looked down at William. She smiled in spite of her sullen mood at remembering the way he had fought off Angelus' attack with his bare hands and even though Angelus out sized him and was wielding a weapon, William had defeated him.



Leaning forward, Buffy looked into his face before lowering her head and placing a soft chaste kiss on his bruised swollen lips. She lingered there, enjoying the feel of him before she pulled back slightly; smiling as she lightly ran her hand over his cheek. "I love you William." She whispered against his lips. "Always."





________________________________________



William stirred at the feel of warm hands running over his chest before his heavy eyelids began to flutter open. He felt cool air pass over him followed by warm touches of feather soft caresses and as his eyes fell back shut he knew he must be dreaming as the sensations of loving hands slowly passed over him as he was once again taken over by sleep.



Buffy froze and looked up when she saw William's eye flutter open. She let out the breath she held in as his eyes slowly closed again before she once again ran her hand lightly over his flesh. She had already cleaned his hands and bandaged them with the remains of the clothing she had found lying unused by a man that seemed to have vanished into thin air and as she tried to clean the wound on his chest, she was finding the task more difficult than she had first imagined.



She was glad he was still sleeping as she found herself becoming increasingly flustered the longer she tended to him. Hard lean muscles encased in silvery pale skin danced under her fingertips and she wasn't sure she would be able to finish her task if he were awake.



She had never seen a man in such a state of undress before and that along with the feel of his smooth skin under her fingers had her trying desperately to finish quickly but wanting to prolong the task at the same time. Her eyes roamed over the hard muscles of his abdomen as her hands resumed their task and giving another quick glance up to William's face to make sure he was still asleep, she allowed herself the pleasure of taking in his beauty.



A tiny smile curved her lips as she took in his lean form and she let her imagination run wild for a moment as she wondered what other pleasures lie confined within the expanse of clothing that covered him. A tinge of jealously ran through her knowing she would never be able to experience what it felt like wrapped around him in a lovers embrace and knowing that somewhere there waited a lady who would know the pleasure that she was denied, left a pang in her heart that she knew would forever leave her with a longing for him.~



Shaking her head and reluctantly pushing away the thoughts, Buffy once again resumed her task. Finishing the cut to his chest, she soaked more of the ripped pieces of fabric with water and started cleaning the small cuts and abrasions on William's face, taking great care to not disturb him. He winced slightly in his sleep as she cleaned the area around his eyebrow and she knew the large cut would scar as she had nothing to see that it was properly taken care of.



She smiled sadly knowing that the wound would forever be a reminder to him of what had happened and of `her' and although deep down a part of her was glad he would always remember her, a part of her wished she could give him more.



Buffy finished cleaning his wounds and removed the blanket she had found rolled up and strapped to the horse's satchel bags before she covered William with it. Adding more logs to the fire, she sat back down beside of him, staring at the fire as the long emotional day played out in her mind. As her eyes became heavy, she glanced over to William, running her hand softly over his face before lying down beside of him. Staring into the flames as they danced into the night, Buffy sighed lightly before closing her eyes and letting the days events wash over her as sleep finally consumed her.