Chapter 22: Unexpected

Things were going really well- Buffy was officially a Sunnydale High student and had really great friends. When she was introduced to the Scooby gang, they immediately let her in. She couldn’t wish for better friends.

Willow Rosenberg was her best friend- they shared all their secrets. Willow knew about her father and Ford. Buffy was scared that she would think differently of her, but all she did was hug her and listen to her while she told her story.

She had met Xander Harris before, but they were really good friends now. She always laughed at his jokes, and he came to her when he was having trouble with his father. Things were better between him and his father now, but it still wasn’t perfect.

Then there was Anya Jenkins, Xander’s girlfriend. She liked Anya because of her bluntness- she always said what she was thinking.

And last, there was Willow’s boyfriend Daniel Osbourne, but everyone called him Oz. She didn’t really know him because he doesn’t really talk a lot, but she liked him nonetheless. He’s a good boyfriend to Willow, so he must be nice.

Angel became their friend after a while, but he transferred to a different school to be closer to his girlfriend, who was 6 months pregnant.

Things were hard at first- she was still a little scared about being around a lot of people. Other students didn’t know what to think of her, but after a while, things went better, and they accepted Buffy as any other student at Sunnydale High.

Spike had told her about the tapes that he listened to, and Buffy was okay with it, partly thankful that she didn’t have to tell that story again.

It was Wednesday, and the gang was sitting at a table during their break, just talking and laughing like friends do.

“So, a movie night on Friday, Buff?” Xander asked her, looking at her with his puppy eyes.

Buffy laughed. “Of course, Xand,” Buffy answered him. They always did a movie-night once a month at Buffy’s place, primarily there because there were no parents and it was simply the biggest house. Buffy didn’t mind at all- she loved having her friends around. They usually spent the night, too. It was a lot of fun- she wouldn’t trade it for the world. Buffy felt like a teenager again.

“Aren’t you going to eat, luv?” Spike looked at her with a face full of concern before noticing the spaghetti that was lying untouched on her plate.

Buffy shook her head. “I’m not...” she started but was interrupted when she suddenly felt sick. She stood up and ran to the bathroom.

The gang looked confused, and Spike stood up to go after her to make sure she was okay, but Willow stopped him.

“I’ll go after her- it’s probably a girl thing. Besides, you’re not allowed to go into the girls room.” She gave him a soft smile, assuring him that she would take care of her.

Willow walked towards the girls’ bathroom. She opened the door and walked inside, looking around. “Buffy? It’s me, Willow.”

She heard a small laugh. “I know it’s you, Will,” Buffy said softly.

Willow moved towards the voice. “Can I come in?” she asked her, wanting to make sure that her friend was okay. She heard Buffy open the door and walked through it before locking it again. She saw her friend sitting on the toilet, fully clothed, with her head in her hands.

“Are you okay?” Willow asked her, scared to see her friend like this. She saw Buffy shaking her head before she looked up at her, and Willow could see that she’d been crying and that her hair was messy. Willow looked closely into her eyes- it looked like she hadn’t slept in days. “Sweetie, what’s wrong?”

Buffy sighed. “I’ve been throwing up for a while now. I didn’t know why- I thought that I was just getting a cold or something. But then I realised that... that I could be...” She stopped with another sigh.

“That you could be pregnant,” Willow finished for her, knowing what her friend was trying to tell her.

Buffy nodded. “About 2 months ago, Spike and I had... ehm… you know.” She looked at Willow, who was blushing, proving that she knew what she was trying to say. “And we didn’t use protection.”

“Oh, Buffy.” Willow gave her a big hug. “Did you do a pregnancy test?”

Buffy nodded. “I got one from Giles when he was still my teacher. I did that test, and it said that I was pregnant... but Giles said that those tests weren’t always right, so I wanted to go to the doctor, but I’m scared,” she said in a whisper.

“Did you tell Spike?”

She shook her head. “I didn’t know how. Besides, I don’t want to tell him before I’m completely sure,” she explained.

“We’ll go to the doctor after school, alright?”

Buffy smiled and hugged her friend. “Thanks, Will.”


So, here they were, sitting in the waiting room. It was really hard getting there. When she had exited the girls’ bathroom, she had to convince Spike that everything was okay, and boy, that sure was hell. She had to tell him over and over that she was okay, that she was just a little tired. Then he wanted to take her home and get her into bed so that she could relax, but she wanted to go to the doctor with Willow, so she had to make an excuse for that, too. She knew she had hurt his feelings when she didn’t accept his offer to take her home, but she really needed to know if she was pregnant or not. So she kissed him and told him that she loved him before running to Willow.

She was shaken from her thought when she heard the doctor calling her name. “Buffy Summers,” the doctor called again.

She stood up, and Willow squeezed her hand to wish her good luck. She smiled back at her and followed the doctor into the room. Willow had asked her if she wanted her to come into the room, but Buffy told her no. She knew that Willow wasn’t fond of doctors- Buffy wasn’t, either.


The door opened again after about 20 minutes. She saw Buffy walk out before giving the doctor a handshake. Buffy walked to her and gave her a hug.

“How did it go?” Willow was just as nervous as her friend.

“It went fine- he said that he would call me as soon as he got the results. So I just have to wait.” She gave her friend a soft smile to assure her that she was fine.

“Let’s go home,” Willow said.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: Thanks so much to Allison, blondiebear, Brittany, Bint, Caitie, gypsy_jin, BuffyandSpikeForever, ~*~Tasha~*~ and sarah g!
And thanks to Allison for betaing this chapter.


Is she really pregnant? Review and find out!


~ Spikegirl!