The roar of the crowd was deafening. Screams echoed through his head and the sound of it vibrated through his body. He could feel it crawling along his skin as if it was a living thing. It was at this moment he felt truly alive. He gazed out among the crowd of the packed arena and smiled at what he saw. A sea of bodies that chanted his name and they couldn't get enough. He was why they were there.



He exited the stage and grabbed the bottle of JD held out to him by one of the roadies, as they congratulated him on another terrific show. His spirits were as high as they could get and he smiled as he passed the many people lining the backstage area. This was the part he loved. The feeling of being on top of the world.



His dressing room door was blocked by a mass of people that had managed to fuck themselves the privilege of being backstage. It happened at every concert and who was he to throw stones? It wasn't like the company of beautiful women was a burden. No, he loved this part as well. Girls of every size and age smiled and grabbed at him as he passed by them and he only had to give them a tiny smile to cause them to scream out invitations of sexual pleasures of any nature. The offers were always stored away in that little place in the back of his mind to remember when he was old and burnt out, but for now - his heart belonged to one.



His princess. She was a sight to behold. Waves of ebony hair and skin like fine china. She was fire and passion and the sound of his name on her lips scorched his heart unlike anything else. She was his life. His passion. She was his soul. The sight of her caused the romantic in him to surface without a second thought and hours were spent writing and reciting poetry to her. She was his muse.



Spike sighed as he finally closed his dressing room door after entering. He leaned back against it as the sounds of screams were still heard from the other side but he relished it. Absorbed it like a precious entity and surrendered to it willingly. The cap to the JD bottle was removed and thrown across the room before he lifted the bottle up to his lips. The liquid burnt as it slid down his throat and he enjoyed the feel of it.



Her small feminine giggles caused his head to turn and he lowered the bottle before he smiled. "Daddy's back, princess," he whispered before pushing his body off the door and straightening. He slowly stalked to the other side of the room, pausing to look into the mirrors before reaching the only other door in the room. His personal dressing room was just to the left of the band's common room and he could only imagine what he'd find. His mind had been on her all night as he sang song after song and as his feet moved him across the floor the thought of her wrapped in blood red satin caused a tightness in his jeans. As he reached the door he paused as she let out a small, gasped moan and his smile grew in anticipation before he reached for the doorknob and turned it.



White, hot pain shot through his body as his eyes landed on her. His chest tightened and his breathing became difficult. Her porcelain white limbs were gracefully entangled with another. The harsh, forceful movements on her body caused her hair to swing with every push as she arched her back over the arm of the sofa and the gasps and moans from her lips caused his body to tremble. Her eyes opened and her lips curved into a smile as she looked at him before her hands entangled into the hair of the man he thought was his best friend. Time stood still as he watched another man fuck his love and every second that ticked by took a piece of his heart with it.








Buffy lay perfectly still as she listened to Spike's erratic breaths being blown across her hair. She had felt his body jump a few times in his sleep and instantly wondered what had happened but a tiny glance up at his face and she could see the pain written across his features even in sleep. She had looked into the mirror at her own face enough to know the cause of it. Betrayal left a stain easy to recognize and she felt a small piece of the wall she had built around her heart chip away. As much as she tried to deny it, Spike wasn't much different from her. He was just better at hiding it. But that was a guy for you, now wasn't it? They are always better liars and when it came to affairs of the heart - they could outplay a woman any day of the week. She sighed as her confusing thoughts clashed together. Had Spike ever lied to her? Her inner thoughts were at war and she was becoming more confused by the second. He hadn't, not that she knew of, that is. So what exactly was the problem? He wasn't Angel. What would it really hurt to let go and have a little fun with him? Because you'll get attached and he doesn't want anything but sex. She frowned as her last thought whispered its way through her mind before she let it go. A girl could go crazy trying to figure it all out.



The morning sun was just cresting over the top of the mountains and the air was crisp and clean. The smell of evergreen was everywhere and she inhaled deeply to take it all in. She could see a small, brown furry creature just by the path over Spike's shoulder and she smiled as she watched it. Wild creatures weren't something she came across everyday and getting the chance to see one now was the most exciting thing she had witnessed so far on her vacation. Her inner voice laughed at her as she realized how ridiculous that statement was. The sight of Spike's bare ass won that prestigious award and Buffy felt her cheeks grow hot as she closed her eyes and ducked her head. The smell of leather and cigarettes surrounded her and she smiled as images of Spike flooded her mind. She snuggled closer without thought until a noise caught her attention. Lifting her head she looked over his shoulder. Her body stiffened as she stared with wide eyes at what she saw.



It wasn't real. It couldn't be. How could she betray him that way? She loved him. Didn't she? Hadn't she said so repeatedly? He stared at his reflection in the mirror, watching as the first tear fell before his features hardened and he wiped away the proof of his pain. The sound of his name being said repeatedly caused his head to turn in her direction. There was no remorse on her face. No pain. His dark princess stood there in all her naked glory looking at him and he knew the rumors he had heard were true.



"Spike."



"How could you, Dru?"




Spike's eyes shot open as he was pulled from his dream and his body stiffened as he inhaled quickly. He looked around frantically as he tried to find his bearings, as the constant tugging at his arm and his name being whispered harshly finally caught his attention.



"Spike! What do we do? Spike!"



Spike looked up then, surprised to see Buffy looking at him. She was practically lying on top of him and he smiled at her as he let his dream slip away. "What would you like to do, pet?" He asked as he moved his hand to rest on her waist.



Buffy stared at him like he was insane before she quickly glanced back over his shoulder. "He's still there," she whispered. "Oh god, we're going to die."



Spike stared up at her and he raised one eyebrow as she frowned and buried her head in his chest and mumbled to herself. It was only then that he took in his surroundings. The fire had died completely. Only a few lines of smoke filtered through the ashes. The sun had just barely risen and was making its way into the clearing where they had camped. His eyes scanned the area around him and didn't notice anything life threatening enough to cause Buffy's early morning panic. That is until he heard the rustling of bushes behind him. Turning his head he looked over his shoulder, he froze at the sight.



Not more than twenty feet away from them - was a bear. Not just any bear, but a very large and apparently very hungry bear. It was currently helping himself to what was left of their picnic from the previous day, as it lifted the basket and slammed it back to the ground. The contents scattered and the basket itself was in pieces. He watched it root around the contents of the basket for what seemed like forever until the small, hushed whispers of Buffy finally caught his attention. He turned his head and looked down at her wide-eyed gaze before shushing her quiet. "Do you want the big bear to eat us?" He whispered. "If not I suggest you keep quiet."



"Oh, that's great advice Mister get us lost in the woods! This is all your fault," Buffy said as loud as she dared.



"My fault? Why is everything my fault?"



Buffy could only stare at him. They were both nose to nose and her blood was racing through her veins. How could he even question this not being his fault? The fact that they were up on the mountain was HIS fault. Getting lost was HIS fault. Almost freezing to death in the woods? HIS fault. The very real possibility of them getting eaten by a bear was again - His fault. It was ALL, his fault.



She couldn't believe their luck. She had thought long and hard the previous night about everything that had happened and the way she had figured it, a little hike through the woods this morning and she'd be back at the cabin by lunch. No real harm done, right? Now - there was a real potential of not making it back to the cabin at all. When she had first seen the bear, her whole body had been momentarily paralyzed. She had prayed it was just a hallucination brought on by her frostbitten body but a second look had confirmed it. The bear was real.



Spike was almost scared to look behind him. He wasn't sure if the sudden movements would alert the bear and cause it to attack or not, so he lay perfectly still and tried to figure out what to do. His mind was still clouded by his dream and he fought the dull, aching pain that little beauty always left him with, as he tried to concentrate on one thing at a time. Not an easy feat with Buffy's body pressed so tightly to his. He lowered his eyes to look at her as she lifted her head and looked over his shoulder. "What's it doing?"



"Still eating," she whispered.



"There wasn't that much food left. Surely he's almost finished."



"Well, he sniffing at the ground. Maybe there was something other than what was in the basket."



"Like what?"



"I don't know," Buffy said. "Maybe he has one of those furry things that were running around earlier."



Spike chuckled softly before laying his head back down. "One of the furry things?"



"Shut up, Spike," Buffy said as she looked up at him. "You know what I mean."



"Yeah, but its just too cute when you refer to them as `furry things'."



Buffy sighed as she watched the bear, before her eyes widened slightly as it stood up. "Oh - he's doing something."



"Preparing to attack?" Spike grunted as Buffy pinched him before looking at him. The look on her face wasn't a friendly one and he smiled in spite of the pain in his arm from her rather painful pinch. The sound of the bear moving around behind him caused his head to turn slightly to try and see what was going on but the minute Buffy's head once again buried itself in his chest, he thought better of it. No use in drawing any more attention to themselves, than necessary.



They laid there for what seemed like forever before Spike heard the bear coming closer. It was almost if the ground was moving beneath them. Buffy's mumbling sounded more like soft whimpers as time passed and he noticed her body begin to tremble. He tightened his hold on her waist slightly to try and calm her and wondered how much longer they both had to live. Surely the bear would get tired of cheese and strawberries eventually and come after something "meatier." He closed his eyes and tried to calm his breathing as the bear moved around behind them and just listened. Buffy's erratic breathing was the most prevalent sound. The thought of her actually hyperventilating crossed his mind before he felt something nudge his back. Now - it was his turn to panic.



The common notion of ones life flashing before your eyes wasn't as cliche as once thought, as Buffy started going through her past mistakes and the things she had yet to accomplish in her life. All the things she thought she'd have plenty of time to do almost seemed like some long forgotten memory as the real threat of being eaten alive had her holding on for dear life to the only thing she had. At the moment, that was Spike. The material of his shirt was twisted between her fingers and her face was buried as far into his chest as humanly possible as she listened to the bear come closer. She felt Spike's fingers dig into her waist and her hold on him tightened as she felt his body move slightly. Her need to look was overwhelming and she lifted her head just enough to see. It was the biggest mistake she had ever made. Staring her right in the face, was the bear.



Spike heard her gasp before her body went completely limp. Her head fell to the ground and his eyes widened as the bear's nose nudged him in the back. His heart raced in his chest as he tried to figure out what to do before the soft nudging became harder. Closing his eyes, he grabbed Buffy and rolled with the next "push", placing her body almost completely under his. His face was buried in her neck and he prayed to whoever was listening that this wouldn't be how he died.



He wasn't sure how long they lay there. Buffy had obviously passed out, as she hadn't made a noise since she looked up the last time. Just as well. She would have probably gotten them killed quicker with all her mumbling. The fact that the bear was still within touching distance wasn't helping any though. It wasn't using him as a pull toy at the moment, so all things considered; he was hoping things were going to go his way for once.



The sound of the bears heavy footsteps started drifting further away and Spike lifted his eyes to see where it was. His view was obstructed by a mass of Buffy's hair but he could see well enough to catch a glimpse of the bear as it walked away from them. He let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding before he closed his eyes. The adrenaline rushing through his veins was mind numbing. He hadn't felt a rush this wild since his last concert and this time he didn't have drugs or alcohol helping it along. Maybe his counselor was right. He didn't need artificial stimulants to make life exciting. Nope. You just needed a real good case of death staring you in the face.



He almost laughed as that last thought crossed his mind before he once again looked up when he heard the shrubs rustling in the distance. He smiled as he saw the bear slowly making its way back into the forest and his head fell back to the ground in relief. His sighed heavily before he let his body relax.



Buffy slowly swam back to consciousness and looked up into the early morning sky before looking around franticly. She sighed in relief when she realized the bear was gone before her eyes closed. She concentrated on breathing and thanking every god known to man for sparing their lives before her eyes once again opened. It was only then that she realized Spike was lying on top of her. "Spike?"



"Yeah?"



Buffy was relieved when his muffled words ghosted across her neck. She glanced down at the top of his head before becoming completely aware of his body pressing her into the ground. She had to admit it felt nice. His scent swam around her and she inhaled deeply to take it all in. The weight of him was warm and comforting and she almost hated to have him move. She could have stayed like that for hours. Spike was so much nicer when he didn't let his mouth get in the way. She smiled at her silent thoughts before she felt a light pressure on her breast. Her mouth flew open instantly before she narrowed her eyes and grabbed his arm. "Spike, if you don't move your hand, I'm going to break your fingers."



Spike looked up then when Buffy started tugging at his arm and he couldn't help but smile when he realized why. Right there nestled in his right hand was one, firm little globe and before he could even ask himself why, he gave it a little squeeze. "I guess I don't have to keep wondering if these things are as soft as I imagined."



Buffy screamed before grabbing him by the shoulders and pushing. He was laughing as he finally rolled off of her and she quickly got to her feet. "You're such a pervert!"



"Hey, no name calling," he said as he looked up at her. "I saved your life if I remember correctly."



"Saved my life?" Buffy asked as she crossed her arms over her chest. "The fact that the bear didn't eat us had nothing to do with you. He probably took one look at your retro ass and got bored."



Spike smiled up at her before slowly getting to his feet. "And how would you know Miss tremble in fear, until you pass out."



Buffy gritted her teeth as she stared at the smug smile slowly cover his face. Why did he have to be so obnoxious? She couldn't understand the attraction to him at all. Her eyes widened as her last thought before she stomped her foot in frustration and turned to the forest. She wasn't sure she would find her way out alone, but at the moment she'd try anything. She couldn't be near him at the moment. Her thoughts were a muddled mess. She flip-flopped from being annoyed with him to wanting to jump him and she was getting more confused by the minute. She slowed her steps after stepping amongst the thick trees and looked behind her to the clearing. She could see Spike gathering up the blankets and she sighed as she watched him. Her body was screaming at her to get as much distance from him as possible while her rational mind screamed BEAR! She looked around her then, fearing she'd find the creature before she groaned and headed back for the clearing.



Spike smiled as he heard her walk back through the shrubs into the clearing. He could see her out of the corner of his eye and ignored her as she stood by the forest edge with her arms crossed over her chest. He had to admit, he loved her like this - all high and mighty and completely adorable. He paused mid-step as his last thought fully registered. He stared up at the morning sun as he thought about it. Loved her? He shook his head before laughing lightly. Not love, mate. Lust. He turned his head and glanced over at her, giving her a long look from head to toe before nodding his head. Definitely lust.