Chapter 2





Buffy felt dizzy as she let every bit of air in her lungs out as she screamed before she rushed forward and grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and wrapped it around herself. She looked around the room frantically before looking back at the door where the intruder was still standing. "Who the hell are you?" She yelled before looking around her and reaching for the small glass figurine sitting on the nearby end table and holding it up in the air. "You have exactly five seconds to explain what you're doing in my cabin before I crack your skull open!"



Spike couldn't help the smile that spread across his face as he looked at her standing there, half wrapped in a blanket and holding what she assumed was a suitable weapon. He took a small step inside the room and shut the door behind him and held back the chuckle threatening to escape him as the arm wielding her weapon rose higher as she stared at him.



"Here on vacation," he finally answered her. "And I hate to burst your bubble pet, but this is my cabin."



Buffy felt her entire body shaking as she stood up straighter and jutted her chin out. Her blood seemed to be rushing through her body faster than it ever had and she was sure he could hear her heart pounding in her chest even from across the room. "You're delusional," she spat out angrily. "I booked this cabin months ago. It's mine. I don't know who you are but do yourself a favor and crawl back to wherever it is you came from if you wish to remain among the living."



Spike forcefully tried to pull the smile off his face but was unsuccessful as he stared at her. She was five foot nothing, standing there threatening him like a mountain lion ready to pounce at any minute. He could see her shaking from across the room and knew he had scared her. Hell, she had scared him. He didn't expect to see anyone standing in his living room, especially not a naked woman. Leaning back against the door, he looked around the room before crossing his arms over his chest.



"Well, I know for a fact that I booked this cabin," Spike started off softly. "And the shuttle dropped me off here a few hours ago. Now how did you get up here?"



"The shuttle," Buffy told him with a shaky voice. "I've been here since around noon."



"I see," Spike said as he looked at her. "Well, looks like someone made a mistake somewhere."



Buffy snorted back a laugh as she looked at him. "You think?" she said sarcastically as she slowly lowered her arm.



Spike grinned before pushing himself off the door and standing up straight before holding his hands out in front of him when Buffy lifted her weapon again. "No need for that kitten," Spike told her. "I'm not going to hurt you."



Buffy held the blanket around her tightly as she watched him lean down, placing the things in his hand back into the bag beside the door. There were several suitcases and various bags and she didn't know why she hadn't notice them when she first walked in. Looking around she spotted a guitar sitting on the sofa before she looked back up at him. "I suppose this is yours?" She asked, pointing to the guitar.



"Yes," Spike told her, taking a small step toward her and watching as she stumbled backwards. "Look, why don't you go put some clothes on so you'll be more comfortable, and we can try to figure out why we're both here when only one of us should be."



Buffy watched him for a few minutes before tossing the object in her hand down on the sofa and grabbing the blanket with both hands. She took a slow step backwards before glancing over at the stairs. Looking back at the man still by the door, she gave a small nod of her head before she turned and quickly made her way to the stairs.



Buffy rushed up the steps to the bedroom with her heart still racing in her chest. Her thoughts were a jumble of confusion from the sudden shock of someone just strolling into her cabin. Her mother had been worried about someone making their way up the mountain and she had assured her that it wouldn't be a problem. The resort was very safe, even their more secluded cabins. The thought never even crossed her mind that someone might find her, alone and unable to defend herself, and now, she had to wonder if her mother hadn't right.



Grabbing the first suitcase she came to, Buffy tossed it up on the bed and unzipped it before frantically grabbing the first thing she saw. Glancing over the rail to the lower section she looked for her intruder. After seeing him walk to the sofa and retrieve his guitar, she moved to the farthest wall and quickly slipped her clothes on.



Spike sighed heavily as he placed his guitar back in its case before walking back to the door and picking up the small blue bag he knew held his cell phone. He had brought it, just in case. One never knew what could happen and as long as it was off, it wouldn't become a bother. Hitting the "on" button, he waited as it charged up. Surely the resort manager could figure out why there was a woman in the cabin he had rented.



"So, you're still here I see," Buffy said as she made her way down the stairs.



Spike turned at her voice and was struck speechless by the sight of her. Seeing her naked was one thing, but seeing her now, when he could actually look at her without his body responding was something entirely different. The light from the fireplace cast shadows across her face and made her hair shine in the dim light. The pale yellow dress she was wearing flowed around her legs and made her exposed skin look like it has been dusted with gold. She looked like an angel descending from heaven. When she stopped at the bottom of the stairs, he took a deep breath before shaking his head and turning from her. "Hadn't planned on going anywhere princess."



Buffy let out a small chuckle before crossing her arms over her chest and leaning against the railing of the stairs. "Well, you're not staying here."



Spike laughed at that before he opened the door to the cabin and stepped outside. His phone had no signal inside and once he stepped out, he frowned at the display. "Stupid, bloody, useless thing."



Buffy arched one eyebrow as she heard him mumbling to himself before he walked back into the room and threw his phone back into a bag at his feet before slamming the door. She sighed uninterested as he continued to mumble to himself before she rolled her eyes and made her way to the couch. "So, do you normally talk to yourself or is this psychotic behavior something new?"



Spike looked up at her, seeing the wide smile on her face before he grinned. "Well, I was trying to call you a cab, but I guess now you'll have to walk."



"Me!" Buffy screeched. "I'm not leaving, you are!"



"Oh, now there's where you're wrong ducks. This is my cabin and I'm not leaving."



"No, it's my cabin and stop with the stupid pet names," she spat out. "My name is Buffy."



"And such an elegant name it is," Spike chuckled. He watched her, seeing her mouth fly open and her eyes widen before he slowly approached her. "But, I guess we could always come to...some sort of arrangement," he added as he leaned his head to the side slightly and gave her a good, long look from head to toe.



Buffy thought her jaw would pop out of its socket any minute as he leered at her before she stood up straight and snapped her mouth shut. Who does he think he is? "Listen here buster," she said, poking her index finger into his chest as she stood toe to toe with him. "There will be no...arrangements of any kind! This is my cabin. I paid for it. It's stocked with my favorite foods and the only one leaving is you! Now, if you hurry, you can make it back to the resort by sun up."



Spike grinned down at her. He couldn't help it. Her face was bright red, her chest was heaving with every harsh breath she took and he wasn't sure why, but seeing her get so worked up over the whole thing amused him. Just seeing that much fury contained in such a small package was the most thrilling thing he had been witness to in over two years, pathetic as it was. With a small chuckle, he stepped back away from her and reached into his pocket and pulled out his smokes before pulling one from the pack. "You know damn good and well I'm not going to do that. The resort is ten miles from here and I'm not about to walk that far, for anyone."



"Well, I saw a nice little cave on the way up. It didn't look too far away. You can always go sleep with the animals and don't even think about lighting that thing up in here," she told him as she watched him put a cigarette in his mouth and reach for his lighter.



Spike sighed as his amusement started to wane. She was becoming bitchier by the minute and no matter how much fun it would be to see her get riled up even more, he wasn't sure he was ready for what she may do if he pushed her too far. Pulling the unlit cigarette from his mouth, he gave her a grin before placing it behind his ear and crossing his arms over his chest. "So, what do we do now?"



"Um, you leave so I can go to sleep?" Buffy grinned.



"Not hardly," Spike snorted. "You leave."



"Not gonna happen blondie!"



Spike stared at her, watching her jut her chin up defiantly before he grinned. Taking a step back away from her he turned and walked around the couch and sat down, fluffing the pillows stacked up at the end before lying down and closing his eyes.



"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Buffy asked him disbelieving as she stared at him.



"I'm being a gentleman and letting you have the bed, but if you keep up all that bitching, I may just change my mind."



Buffy stood there, completely speechless as she stared at him. She didn't know what to do or say. This total stranger had just lounged out across her couch and made himself at home. "Look, Billy."



"Billy?" Spike asked, opening his eyes and lifting his head to look at her.



"Yeah, you got that whole Billy Idol look going on and besides..." Buffy stopped talking as she finally looked at him before she gasped softly. "Holy shit...you're Spike Williams!"



Spike sat up slowly, grinning from ear to ear as he looked at her. Her eyes were once again wide as saucers and that cute little mouth of hers was gapped open. Cocking his head to one side, he lifted a scared brow and gave her a nod. "Bout damn time you recognized me. Now pipe down, I need my beauty rest."