Chapter 3



Buffy stood rooted to the floor until her mouth had gone completely dry from hanging open before she finally felt her heart rate slow to normal pace. She blinked a few times before she finally closed her mouth and stared at what she now knew was the very famous, although troubled musician, Spike Williams.



Staring at his now silent form as he lay on the couch, she wondered what to do. She toyed with the notion of breaking into the emergency box and calling back down to the resort, but didn't want to lose her security deposit for making an unnecessary call, especially on the first day.



The thoughts of actually sharing the cabin with him lasted about as long as it took for her mind to register how bad an idea that was. The last she had read, he had been in rehab for substance abuse, not to mention the lengthy court battles after he attacked someone at one of his shows.



Spike lay silent, knowing she was still there. He could almost hear the wheels turning in her head and it took everything in him not to smile. She had looked completely shocked when she finally realized who he was and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't a little disappointed it had taken her so long to figure it out. He was use to screaming girls recognizing him from four blocks away and he had been almost thrilled that she treated him just like he was some random stranger. Now, he wasn't so sure.



Finally hearing her begin to walk away, he let out a long breath and listened until she topped the stairs before he opened his eyes. He didn't know what to do. His cell phone didn't work and calling back down to the resort was expensive. After his last manager ran off with over half of his savings, money wasn't something he looked at lightly anymore. He knew his music career could fall apart at any minute and he had done enough damage in the past two years to almost see to that single-handedly. Sighing heavily, he sat up and stared into the fire, trying to think of a way out of what he knew would be a very stressful day come morning.



~~~~~~~~~~



Birds were singing their praises to the early morning light. The fluttering of life outside was what she heard and it brought a smile to her face. Buffy opened her eyes and looked out the picture window to her left before she turned and grabbed the blankets, pulling them under her chin and staring out into a new day. This is what she had wanted. Peace and quiet.



"Bloody fucking hell!"



Buffy jumped at his voice and listened to a montage of colorful words before she rolled her eyes and sat up in bed. She sighed heavily before throwing the blankets back then walked to the railing and looked down.



Buffy watched Spike as he flung open the cabinet doors in the kitchen before he would slam them back shut and curse under his breath with every movement. She watched him for a few minutes before she cleared her throat. "Do you mind? Some of us enjoy peaceful mornings, not the obscene ramblings of the clinically insane."



Spike turned his head, looking up at her before he smiled. "Well, good morning princess. Sleep well?"



"Knowing the insane Englishman is sleeping under my roof? Oh sure. Best night of my life," Buffy replied sarcastically.



"That's what most women say," Spike grinned before turning back to the cabinets.



Buffy stared at him for a few minutes before she rolled her eyes and stepped back from the rail. Walking over to her luggage she almost growled in frustration at the smile trying to form on her face. He is not cute! She said to herself as she hunted out her clothes. He's smug and arrogant and his hair looks stupid all curly and wild like that.



Spike could hear her coming down the stairs and smiled when he heard the front door slam behind her as she left. He chuckled, shaking his head slightly as he made breakfast before he looked up and peaked out the window, watching her make her way to the bathhouse.



Buffy slammed the door to the bathhouse and locked it behind her before she threw her things down on the bench along the right side of the wall. She sighed heavily before looking around the room. She smiled as the bright morning sun filtered through the tinted glass that made up the ceiling. "Wow," she said quietly as she took in the room. It looked different than it had the previous night. It was as large as her apartment back home and the rustic look of the exposed beams and rock facade walls caused her smile to grow.



She unbuttoned her shirt before turning to the shower and turning it on. Waiting for the temperature to adjust she removed the remainder of her clothing before stepping inside under the spray. Water ran down the rock walls inside the shower and it felt like she was in a waterfall. The sound of the water against the rocks seemed to calm her frustration with Spike and soon all thoughts of him were gone as she enjoyed her shower.



~~~~~~~~~~



Buffy's hand stilled on the front doorknob when the smell of bacon and eggs reached her and she straightened up before she opened the door and entered. Spike was sitting at the kitchen bar reading a magazine when she walked in and he looked up at her briefly before returning to his food. "Smells good," she said as she laid her things down and walked into the kitchen.



"That it does," Spike grinned as he kept his eyes on his magazine. "Tastes even better."



Buffy looked at him and her smile fell away when she looked around the kitchen and only saw one plate. His. Her lips tightened into a thin line as she practically stomped to the cabinets and started opening them. Finding the assorted boxes of cold cereals, she pulled one from the cabinet and slammed it down on the countertop before searching for a bowl.



Spike hid his smile behind his coffee cup as he watched her over the rim. She was mumbling to herself as she fixed her cold breakfast and when she turned around, his eyes immediately went back to his magazine.



Buffy sat down at the bar, chewing the hard, crunchy bits of cereal as she stared at Spike. He ate in silence and the smell of bacon and eggs made her own meal even less appealing. How dare he she thought as she watched him eat. I would have made enough for both of us. Well, if I could cook that is.



It was all Spike could do to eat as he felt Buffy's eyes on him. He knew he had pissed her off and truthfully that had been his intention, but now, hearing each crunch of her cold breakfast made him regret his actions.~ He kept his eyes on his magazine, not really seeing the words printed there and the incessant crunching from Buffy finally stopped. He watched her rise from her seat and walk to the sink, rinse her bowl and turn to look at him. He couldn't help the smile that automatically came to his face when she looked at him. Her face was almost red and her lips were pressed into a thin line.



Buffy narrowed her eyes, watching the smug look on Spike's face and she almost growled in response. Two can play this game she thought as she stared at him. We'll just see who gets the last laugh.



Spike watched her stomp off toward the stairs and he took a deep breath when she was out of sight. He stood up, dumping his plate of food before rinsing it in the sink. He and Buffy still hadn't spoke of their situation and he knew that now wasn't the time. Walking to the couch, he picked up his guitar and tried to forget about the small blonde upstairs.



Buffy finally took a few minutes to unpack her suitcases while she contemplated her situation. She had fallen asleep with every intention of coming to a suitable arrangement for their predicament but waking to Spike's outburst had completely sidetracked her. Now as she stood in the middle of her room, the only thing she wanted was him out.



Walking over to the railing, she looked down and took a breath to try and discuss their situation but stilled her words as she saw him on the couch. He was picking out notes on his guitar and she couldn't help the smile that crossed her face.~ She had to admit the thoughts of him really being here were just incredible. She knew her best friend Willow would freak out when she found out she had met and slept under the same roof as Spike Williams.



Seeing him glance up at her, she watched the same irritating smirk he had thrown her too many times to count cross his face before she rolled her eyes and stepped back from the rail. She sighed deeply before shaking her head and trying to clear her thoughts. Glancing out the window a smile bloomed across her face before she walked to the dresser and grabbed her bathing suit and threw it on the bed. A spare blanket in the closet caught her eye and she pulled it out before she jogged down the stairs.



"Have you seen a hammer?"



"Why would I need a hammer?" Spike asked, never looking away from his guitar.



To knock some sense into you Buffy thought before rolling her eyes at him. "I want to hang a curtain."



"What for?"



"So I can have some privacy."



Spike turned his head to look at her and grinned before raking his eyes over her form. "Don't worry princess. I'll try to refrain from peeking in on you in your knickers."



"You're a pig," Buffy spat out before stomping off to the kitchen in search of a hammer and nails.



Spike watched her go through the kitchen cabinets, slamming them shut before going to the next one before he sighed heavily and laid his guitar down. Walking to the closet by the door, he opened it and pulled out a small toolbox he had seen in there the night before. "Where do you want this curtain?"



Buffy turned to look at him as he walked toward the stairs and she held back a smile as she saw the hammer. She watched him as he topped the stairs and look down at her before she finally spoke. "Across the rail," she said as she started for the stairs.



~~~~~~~~~~



Spike stared out across the mountains as he stood on the deck of the cabin. A lit cigarette dangled from his lips and he inhaled deeply on it before tossing it to the floor and crushing it under his boot.



Thoughts of Buffy rattled through his mind and a smile came to his lips as he remembered the look on her face when he had picked up her bathing suit from the bed. A bright shade of red had colored her cheeks before she'd snatched it from his hands when he made mention of how little there was of it.



Leaning on the railing, Spike tried to see where she had went and knew there was a hot spring somewhere close. Searching the vegetation, he smiled as he saw the path before he straightened and walked back inside.



~~~~



Buffy sighed as the warmth from the hot spring and the noon day sun relaxed her muscles and she straightened her legs before reclining back into the molded rock she rested on. The morning had been less than pleasurable and she tried to push thoughts of Spike out of her mind.



She wasn't sure what to do about him. She didn't know if she could spend the next month, day-in and day-out under the same roof with him and not go completely insane. Less than twenty-four hours and he had already brought on thoughts of violence. She knew they needed to find a solution to their problem, but seeing how he hadn't mentioned it, she figured he was as determined to stay as much as she was. Shaking her head to try and clear her thoughts, Buffy closed her eyes and sighed as the sounds of nature surrounded her.



~~~~



Spike walked the trail through the woods and listened to the small trickle of water from the stream before he rounded a corner of trees. The hot spring came into view and the steam it produced lofted through the air and made the whole scene look like something from another world. He smiled as he saw Buffy, lounging back along the side of the spring and as he walked closer, his eyes fell to the bronzed skin of her breast that peeked out above the water. He stopped and just stared at her as he tossed his towel to a nearby rock and his smile widened as she shifted.



Buffy opened her eyes and jumped slightly as she saw Spike standing by the side of the spring removing his boots. She didn't know how long he had been standing there but from the smile on his face, it was longer than she would have liked. "What do you want?"



"Just a little peace and quiet, luv," Spike smiled as he reached for the bottom of his shirt.



Buffy watched the thin material of his shirt uncover hard, toned muscles, inch by inch and she swallowed heavily as she realized she was staring. The smirk was back on his face and she mentally shook herself to regain focus. "I'm using the pool at the moment." Buffy winced as her words came out in a breathy whisper and the smile on Spike's face only increased.



"Don't mind sharing," Spike said as he tossed his shirt aside.



"Well, I do," Buffy told him as she sat up straight. "I came out here to get away from you."



"Oh, I'm crushed," Spike laughed. "You can always just leave."



"I don't think so," Buffy said loudly as she watched him reach for the buttons of his jeans. "You better have a bathing suit on under those," she said as she watched him pop each button, exposing more skin with every second that passed. If possible, the smile on his face only brightened and as the thin patch of fine hair that ran from just under his navel and disappeared into the confines of his jeans came into her line of sight she found her heart rate increasing before she averted her eyes.



Buffy stared off into the vast greenery of the forest and her breathing increased until she thought she would hyperventilate. She could see him out of the corner of her eye and her eyes widened then snapped shut as she saw the black material pass over his hips. He was wearing absolutely nothing. A small chuckle from him was all it took before she quickly stood up. Her footing slipped and she held on to the side of the rock she had been leaning on as she saw him move. The small splash he made as he climbed into the pool caused her heart to literally skip a beat before she saw him sit.



Spike kept his eyes on her as he found a comfortable sitting position while she stood there staring out into the forest. He knew his little strip tease would shut her up and he was right. He could see her chest rise and fall rapidly as her breathing seemed to be out of control and the bright pink flush he found himself loving was once again staining her cheeks.



Buffy knew she had to move. She could feel Spike's eyes on her and her flesh burned because of it. Taking a deep breath, she turned and faced him. The smug look on his face made her instantly regret looking at him. She rolled her eyes before taking the few steps to the edge of the pool, then climbed out.



"Don't leave on my account."



"Drop dead," Buffy mumbled as she grabbed her towel and wrapped it around her. Spike's laughter had her biting her tongue as she slipped her feet back into her sandals.



"Have to admit, kitten, that that little scrap of material looks much better on than it did in my hands," he told her as he leaned his head to the side while he stared at her. "Although I'm sure you without it is just as appealing."



Buffy rolled her eyes before she shook her head and turned around to look at him. She grinned before securing the towel at her waist. "Well, I'm glad you approve," she said with a wide smile. "I guess I can just live out the rest of my life knowing that bad boy Spike Williams found me attractive. How fortunate I feel to have met your approval."



Spike just smiled and the fact that he didn't say anything caused Buffy's temper to flair even more. Grabbing her things, she turned and stomped off into the forest.



A low chuckle was the only response Spike could come up with. He didn't know why he felt compelled to rattle her every chance he got, but he just couldn't help himself. As he sat there in the stillness of the forest, the appeal of the hot spring wasn't as attractive now that the fiery blonde wasn't anywhere in sight. Standing up, Spike climbed from the pool and slipped his jeans back on before grabbing his boots and shirt and running up the trail after her.



~~~~~~~~~~



The evening light was slowly fading and Buffy stared at the fireplace wondering if she should light it or just wait for Spike. He had been gone for hours now and she half-expected him to follow her back to the cabin as soon as she left the spring.



She tried to convince herself that his little stunt of stripping down to nothing had upset her but to be honest, her heart rate increased every time she thought about it. She could still see the hardened muscles that defined his body in her inner eye and the thoughts of it caused a slow ache to form in the pit of her stomach. It had been months since she had had any physical contact with the opposite sex and even though she knew nothing would ever happen between the two of them, her mouth practically watered at the thought. "Come on Buffy, you're being stupid," she said out loud to no one as she started pacing the floor. "He's a famous musician who probably has a girlfriend, not to mention more girls than he knows what to do with draping themselves all over him. He's not even remotely interested." She sighed heavily as she glanced at her watch and her brow furrowed as she realized exactly how long he had been gone. The last of the sun had disappeared behind the mountains and for the first time she felt a panic come over her. She was alone.



Walking the short distance to the front door, Buffy opened it before stepping out into the darkness. She let her eyes adjust before looking back toward the path that led to the hot spring. "Spike?" The only thing to greet her was the sounds of small animals that scurried around. No sign of Spike anywhere. Walking to the bathhouse, Buffy knocked briefly before opening the door. "Spike, you in here?" Nothing. Buffy exited the bathhouse and made her way to the path that led to the spring before she stopped. She peered into the darkness of the forest before looking back to the cabin before the cool mountain air caused her flesh to cover in chill bumps. "If this is your idea of a joke, I'm not amused." Buffy listened for any sound before she turned and walked back to the cabin. As she made her way back inside the stillness of the room engulfed her. She sighed heavily as confusion gave way to fear. Where was he? Why wasn't he back yet?