Chapter 4



Spike slowly opened his eyes, blinking into the blackness of the forest as he tried to let his eyes adjust to the low light. His head was throbbing and the smell of dirt surrounded him. Hearing a sound off to his right, he let his eyes follow the noise and smiled as he recognized Buffy's voice. She was calling for him. Sitting up, Spike's head began to swim as his vision blurred. The ache in his head increased and he raised his hand to the side of his head where the pain seemed to be concentrated. Wet, sticky blood coated his fingers and he growled in frustration as he slowly remembered falling. "Stupid bloody animals," he mumbled as he remembered the brown furry creature that had darted out into the path. He had screamed like a girl and he hoped Buffy hadn't heard him. Seeing how it was dark, he assumed she hadn't.



Scratching the side of his neck, Spike slowly picked himself up off the ground and tried to steady himself but the shooting pain that radiated from his ankle brought him to his knees. "Fuck," he hissed as he tried to look at his ankle. It was so dark he could barely even see his hand in front of his face. Taking a deep breath he let it out slowly and closed his eyes as the pain from his injuries left him suddenly dizzy.



~~~~



Buffy paced the floor, alternating between staring at her watch, the large pictures windows at the darkened sky and the front door. It was nearly eleven pm and still no sign of Spike. The anger she had felt when returning from the hot spring was now gone. She sighed heavily before she walked back to the door and opened it. It was completely quiet outside. The wind had picked up and the air was chilled from the mountains. Walking back inside, she ran up the stairs to the loft and grabbed her jacket before darting back down the steps. Stopping by the closet at the door, Buffy searched its contents and smiled happily when she saw the flashlight sitting on the upper shelf.



~~~~



Spike was dreaming. Warmth engulfed him and soft hands roamed his body. The scent of jasmine surrounded him and he smiled as his aching muscles seemed to relax. Soft music was playing and an angel hovered above him. He heard his name, whispered on a breath, and the fluttering of butterflies skated across his cheek.



"Spike, can you hear me?" Buffy sat by his side trying to wake him and was getting more worried by the second. It had taken her close to twenty minutes to practically drag him back to the cabin. She still didn't know how she had managed it. He was out cold when she found him lying face down by the path. Blood covered the whole left side of his face when she turned him over and she had panicked when she saw him.



She didn't know what had happened to him. An animal attack was the first thing that crossed her mind, but other than the cut on his head, he looked fine so she ruled that idea out. He hadn't moved since she had found him and she found herself checking for a pulse more than once. Seeing a ghost of a smile on his face and his eyes flutter open, Buffy sat up straight on her knees. "Spike, can you hear me?"



His eyes felt like they had steel weights on them and he tried with every bit of energy he had to open them. Pain radiated through his body and a slight move of his legs caused his eyes to shoot open. "Bloody hell. What happened?"



"Spike?" A smile covered Buffy's face as she realized he was finally coming to and she let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding in.



Opening his eyes and focusing on her face, Spike smiled slightly as he saw her. It was an angel. "Hey."



"Hey," Buffy smiled as relief flooded her. "You okay?"



"Define okay?"



Buffy's smile widened at his attempt at humor before grabbing the wet towel she had been cleaning his cut with and rewetting it. "You have a nasty cut on your head," she told him. "Looks pretty bad. Probably needs stitches."



"Hmm," Spike mumbled as his eyes closed again.



"What happened?"



Spike sighed lightly as the details came back to him. No way was he going to tell her a damn squirrel was the cause of this. "Can't say that I remember exactly."



"Okay," Buffy smiled. "Are you hurt anywhere else?"



Spike opened his eyes and looked over his body and remembered his foot. "Twisted my ankle."



"Which one?" Buffy asked as she looked toward his bare feet.



"Right."



Buffy scooted to the foot of the couch and lifted the bottom of his pants leg to look at his ankle. Sure enough, it was a violent shade of purple. "Sure it's not broke?"



"No," Spike told her as he scratched the side of his neck. "Hurts bad enough though."



Buffy looked up at him briefly before reaching out for his ankle. The slightest touch and he was yelling. "Sorry."



"Just leave it be," Spike spat out as he clenched his jaw and stared at her. "Bleedin' thing hurts enough without you poking at it."



Buffy looked up at him and bit her tongue. She knew he was just reacting out of pain, but his harsh words still stung. "Um, do you need anything?" She asked him quietly.



"A sponge bath would be great," Spike smirked as he scratched his arm. "I feel like I rolled in hay."



"Your neck is pretty red," Buffy told him. "But the sponge bath? Not happening."



Spike managed a tiny smile before his eyes once again became heavy. He inhaled deeply as sleep called him and the crackling of the fire slowly lulled him to sleep.



~~~~~~~~~~



"Fuck!"



Buffy's eyes snapped open and she sighed as the previous morning played over for her. Loud, obscene words filled the cabin as Spike ranted on as usual. Crawling from the bed, she walked to the stairs and looked down. "Have you ever tried not acting like an insane man in the mornings?"



"Piss off!"



"Excuse me?" Buffy asked as her hands went to her hips and she stared down at him.



"I said: Piss. Off." Spike yelled up to her.



"You, are the biggest ass I have ever met," Buffy huffed as she started down the stairs. "Where the hell are you going?" She asked as she finally realized he was leaning on the back of the couch.



"To take a piss. Not that it's any concern of yours," Spike spat out as he turned his head to look at her.



Buffy rolled her eyes at him as she made it to the bottom of the stairs and she watched him as he tried again to take a step. His right leg gave out and she held back a smile as he cursed and hit his knees. "You know, all you have to do is ask me nicely and I would help."



Spike looked over at her smiling face and growled in response. "I don't need your help."



"Oh, is that so?" Buffy asked as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Well, by all means, go about your business." She walked past him on her way to the kitchen and could hear him mumble under his breath. She hid her smile as his cursing got louder before she heard him whisper her name. Turning to face him she couldn't help but smile. He was on his hands and knees and his face was completely red. "Did you need something, Spike?"



Spike stared at the floor and sighed deeply before he turned his head to her. "Can you help me up?"



"What was that?" Buffy asked, putting a hand to her ear as she smiled. "I didn't quite hear you."



"Bloody hell," Spike hissed before turning his head to look at her. "Can you help me?" He shouted as he looked at her before looking back at the floor. "Irritating little bitch."



Buffy's eyes widened as she heard his whispered comment before she grinned. "Now Spike. I know you didn't just call me a bitch, now did you? Because that would be one sure way to end up in the floor for the rest of the day."



"Christ woman, can you stop your blathering for one bleedin' second and help me off this fucking floor before I piss myself!"



Payback's a bitch and her name is Buffy she thought with a grin as she walked over to him and grabbed his arm. She helped him stand and walk back around the couch and let him fall back onto it amidst more colorful words. Walking to the kitchen she searched the cabinets until she found what she was looking for before walking back to the couch. Grabbing the blanket he had thrown in the floor, Buffy threw it on his lap and held her hand out.



"What?" Spike asked as he scratched his arm and looked at the jar she was holding.



"For your little problem," she smiled as she glanced at his crotch.



Spike followed her eyes before looking back at the jar. "You want me to take a piss in a jar?" He asked wide-eyed before her smile confirmed his thoughts.



"I'm not taking you to the bathhouse, if that's what you were thinking."



Spike gritted his teeth before a smile bloomed across it. "Suit yourself, luv."



Buffy didn't like the look in his eyes and knew her little plan had just taken a major turn. When he snatched the jar from her hand and grabbed the waistband of his jeans, she yelped as he snapped all the buttons on them before she turned around. "Jesus Spike, I gave you the blanket to cover up with."



Spike chuckled as he grabbed himself and looked at her briefly before emptying his bladder. "Hard to take aim when I can't see what I'm doing."



Buffy bit the side of her cheek as she heard his quiet laughter and walked to the kitchen. She opened the cabinets and grabbed the first thing she found. She could still hear him laughing and rolled her eyes as she reached into the drawer for a spoon.



"So, you gonna empty this or just make me stare at it all day?"



Buffy turned back to him and smiled before walking back to the living room. Holding her hand out, she took the jar from him and held out the bowl she had brought him.



"What's this?" Spike asked as he took it from her.



"Breakfast."



Spike looked down into the colorful floating circles that swam in milk before raising a brow as he looked back up at her. "Breakfast? What am I? Four?"



"If the shoe fits," Buffy grinned before walking to the door and walked outside.



"Let me guess," Spike said when she walked back inside. "I get to watch you eat bacon and eggs this morning?"



"No."



"No?" Spike asked grinning. "You can't tell me this whole morning hasn't been some twisted little payback on your part."



"I'm not the one who did a nose dive in the forest," Buffy smiled as she walked to the sink and washed her hands. "You managed that one all by yourself. As far as your breakfast? That's all you'll be getting from me. You want something better, fix it yourself."



Spike watched her as she pulled another bowl from the cabinet before she reached for the cold cereals that lined the cabinet. He sat quietly and just stared at her before it finally dawned on him why the cabinets were so full of heat and serve foods. "You can't cook?"



Buffy turned her head as his quiet laughter reached her and the smile on his face earned him one in return. "No, I can't."



"Well, this is just beautiful," Spike chuckled. "Guess it really did burn your ass watching me eat a nice warm breakfast while you munched on the best the Captain could offer."



Buffy laughed along with him as she ate her breakfast before she laughed harder when he stopped and looked at her with wide eyes. "Did it finally catch up with that pee brain of yours?"



"You cannot possible expect me to eat Ravioli for every bleedin' meal!"



"Well, I could just let you starve," she grinned. "Not that it would take much."



Spike looked over at her before he snorted out a laugh. "Don't go throwing stones, luv," he smiled. "That ass of yours is barely even a handful."



"Never had any complaints before."



"Yeah, and I suppose you've had them just lined up around the block, yeah?"



"No, that's more your style," Buffy grinned. "I watch TV. I've seen all the ho bags that line up just to touch you. Absolutely pathetic."



Spike chuckled as she rolled her eyes and continued to eat her breakfast. If she wanted to play dirty, so could he. He leaned forward, placing the bowl of cold cereal on the coffee table before reaching up and scratching his stomach.



Buffy watched him as she ate quietly and she had to wonder what was going on in that head of his. She knew without a doubt he was contemplating his next move. What had started out as a nightmare had taken a turn in her favor. With Spike out of commission, she had the whole place to herself.



"Um, Buffy?"



Buffy focused her eyes on him and stood. "Yes," she smiled as she walked to the sink and rinsed her bowl.



"Can you come here and take a look at this?"



Buffy turned to look at him and noticed he was looking down at his lap and laughed as she shook her head. "I don't think so!"



Spike looked over at her before rolling his eyes. "Get your mind out of the gutter you silly bint. I have a rash."



"A rash?"



"Yes, a rash," Spike sighed before reaching up and scratching his neck. "Been itching like crazy all night."



Buffy finally crossed the room and as she looked at him she saw the red splotches on the side of his neck where he had been scratching it. His chest was covered, as were his arms and the more he scratched, the redder it became. "Stop scratching it," she said as she took a step closer to him.



"I told you I needed a shower," Spike told her as he looked down at himself. "Probably wouldn't have been this bad if you would have helped me."



Buffy rolled her eyes at him before shaking her head. "Well, getting you to the bathhouse isn't a problem, Spike but you can't stand up. There is no way in hell I'm going to help you shower."



"Might like it," Spike grinned as he looked at her.



"I doubt that," Buffy lied as she snorted out a laugh.



"What do you think it is?"



"What? I look like a doctor to you?" Buffy asked. "Could be anything."



Spike sighed before leaning his head back on the sofa and closing his eyes. "Why does my life suck so bad?"



"Because you're an asshole and have no manners?" Buffy asked cheerfully while she smiled.



Spike opened one eye and turned his head to look at her. "You're not nearly as cute as you think you are."



"I don't think I'm cute at all," Buffy grinned. "Just honest."



Spike watched her walk to the stairs before he sighed again. The way things were going, he'd be completely nutters before the month was up. First Dru, the court battles, his money disappearing - now this. What would be next?