Chapter 9





She could see him pacing back and forth in front of the couch as she passed the window. He was limping slightly and the look on his face was one of full concentration. Or maybe that was irritation? It was hard to tell with Spike. Her smile was still in place and when she stopped in front of the front door she took a deep breath and wiped the smile away. She closed her eyes, trying to calm her nerves before placing her hand on the doorknob. Straightening her shoulders, she shook her wet locks out before opening the door and walking in.



Spike stopped and turned to the door when Buffy walked in. "What took you so long?" He asked as she shut the front door.



"I had to wash my hair."



She was still wrapped in her towel and her hair hung in long, wet trails down her back. She only gave him a brief look before she walked to the steps and climbed to the loft. When she was out of sight Spike closed his mouth with a snap before staring at the blanket he had hung.



She had barely even given him the time of day. How could she pull a stunt like she had at the waterfall and just walk in like nothing happened? She was the biggest contradiction he had ever seen. She switched from shy, blushing girl one minute to fiery minx the next. He wasn't sure he'd ever figure her out. Not that he wanted to. She was too much fun to put in one category and leave her there. He took long laps in front of the couch as he tried to wrap his brain around what she was doing. He knew she was up to something. She had to be. She was playing with him and enjoying every minute of it by the look on her face when she came back in. He stopped and his smile slowly formed as he figured it out. Tease and retreat. Classic. He laughed quietly before falling on the couch and draped his arms over the back as he stared up at her privacy blanket. He could see her outline through the fabric and his smile remained as her silhouette once again gave him a front-row seat.



Buffy tossed her wet towel to the floor and walked to the dresser and grabbed her hair dryer. She glanced at the blanket hanging from the ceiling and wondered if he could see through it. Giving her shoulders a slight shrug she lifted her arms and started drying her hair.



She wasn't sure how far this little game would get her. How far did she want it to? A smile formed as thoughts of things getting hot and sweaty popped into her head. She knew without a doubt that before the month was over that she would sleep with him. There was no way she could resist the temptation. No one with half a brain would. Hell, her unconscious mind had already played out her fantasy with the erotic dream she had had earlier. Her experience with men was limited. And Angel was the brunt of that. But Buffy knew one thing for sure. Spike was no Angel. Whatever naughty little tricks he knew she was sure would give her hours of pleasure.



Turning off the hair dryer, she unplugged it and tossed it to the bed before reaching into her dresser and searched the contents. Red lace? Would Spike like those? She wondered. He seemed to like the robe. He was still holding it when she came back inside. Picking up the lace she slipped them over her legs before adjusting them. They weren't the thongs she normally wore but just as sexy. A small pair of wide briefs that barely covered her ass but plunged low enough in front to draw your attention to all the right places was paired with a matching bra. Shorts and a tank top finished off her ensemble before she once again ran her brush through her hair.



Spike was enjoying the show Buffy was putting on so much that he almost growled when his stomach did. It was well past lunch and he hadn't even had breakfast. As Buffy turned and started for the steps he grinned as she topped the stairs.



Buffy looked at him as she walked down the steps but the smile that tried to form was pushed away and she dug her fingers into her palm. That irritatingly cute smirk was back on his face and if she didn't know any better she would have thought he knew something she didn't. She watched him as she stepped off the last step and when he darted his tongue out and wet his lips she rolled her eyes. "You're not nearly as cute as you think you are."



"Yes I am," Spike chuckled as he gave her a look from head to toe. A barely there tank top hugged her breasts and she wore shorts so short he was sure her ass was hanging out the back only fueled his thoughts of her.



"What are you going to do for a whole month, Spike, with no one here to stroke that ego of yours?" She asked as she passed the couch.



"Don't worry about me, luv," Spike grinned. "I'm sure I'll get all the stroking I need."



Buffy raised one brow as she looked back over her shoulder at him and she laughed softly before shaking her head. "As long as you stay out of my thirty-dollar lotion you're free to stroke anything you like."



"That include you?"



The question took her by surprise. Why, she didn't know. It was such a Spike thing to say that she should have seen it coming. She practically walked right into it. With another small chuckle she walked to the refrigerator before opening it and leaning down to look inside. "I'm starved," she said quietly. "What do I want?"



"I know what I want."



Buffy looked back over her shoulder and the look on Spike's face sent a tingle straight through her body. She smiled before she straightened and turned to face him. "Only if you're a good boy," she said with a coy smile.



Spike laughed at her kittenish behavior. "Oh I can promise you it'll be good, goldilocks,"



Buffy stared at him for a few minutes before she smiled and turned to the cabinets. Her mind ran rampant as she searched for something to fix. The ravioli caught her eye and she grinned as she pulled it from the cabinet.



"I'm not eating ravioli," Spike said firmly as Buffy walked to the electric can opened.



"I wasn't fixing it for you," she told him as she removed the lid and tossed it in the trash. "I'm not your servant or your personal maid. If you're hungry, get up off your ass and fix something."



"But I'm hurt," Spike whined.



"Yeah and I'm playmate of the year," Buffy laughed.



"You've got my vote."



Buffy stilled her hands and the smile that curved her lips was joined with that delicious tingle that caressed her flesh every time he said something the slightest bit flattering. She shook her head and took a deep breath before dumping her lunch into a bowl and placing it in the microwave. She watched it as the bowl made slow circles and nibbled on her bottom lip as Spike's words flittered through her mind on constant repeat. The Doubting Thomas in her kicked in before she rolled her eyes at her foolishness. He's just like every other guy, she told herself. He'd say anything to get into your pants. The microwave beeped and she sighed before opening the door and removing her unattractive lunch. As she stirred the near boiling pasta she jumped as Spike hands appeared on either side of her, trapping her against the cabinet.



"Why so quiet all of a sudden?" Spike asked her.



"No reason," she said quietly before trying to move. He was right behind her and it was apparent he didn't plan on moving.



Spike watched her as she stirred her pitiful excuse of a lunch. He couldn't see all of her face for the mass of golden hair that fanned over her shoulders but she was nibbling on her lip and a light pink flush stained her cheeks. "Surely the fact that I find you attractive isn't the reason for the shy kitten act," he said bending over her back to try and see her face.



Buffy swallowed heavily and bent her head when Spike pressed against her. Being this close to him had her second-guessing her "plan". Sure the thoughts of sleeping with a rock star were attractive but what would that make her? A groupie? Easy? Hell, he had plenty of those. She sighed before she stilled her hands and stared down into her bowl.



"I'm sure I'm not the first man to tell you you're attractive?" Spike asked, smiling as he looked at her. "Quite beautiful actually."



Buffy felt her heartbeat speed up before Spike leaned over and kissed her neck. Her eyes closed at the feel of his lips on her skin and she inhaled sharply when she felt his tongue on her flesh. She jerked away from him to break the contact and his arm around her waist held her in place before she could run. "Please, don't."



"Don't what?" Spike asked as he held her still.



"Don't say things to me just to get what you want." Buffy turned her head slightly as saw him out of the corner of her eye. He was staring at her as she sighed before once again lowering her head. "Make all the jokes you want and try as hard as you like but don't lie."



Spike was complete taken aback by her words. Was she kidding? "I'm not lying to you," he said. "I may be many things but a liar isn't one of them. I think you're remarkably beautiful."



Buffy glanced up at him then and gauged the look on his face. No smirk. Not even a tiny smile. He looked completely serious. His eyes held hers and she could see the truth in them. He wasn't playing her.



Spike finally gave her a smile and watched as her head once again lowered. "You can't possible expect me to believe that your ex didn't ever tell you that you were beautiful."



"No," Buffy said quietly. "I mean, yeah, he did. But I believed all his pretty lies." She looked up then and tried to force a smile before looking away. "They're just words."



Spike finally let her go when she pulled away and he watched her as she sat down at the bar. He just stood there staring at her and let her words play over for him. Surely this ex-boyfriend had to be the stupidest git in the world. He let it go, knowing she was already apparently upset and went to make his lunch. A quick sandwich later and he was sitting in front of her and he glanced at her briefly as she mostly played with her food.
"So, when's act two coming? I want to be prepared this time."



Buffy looked up at him and watched him as he took a bite of his sandwich before she raised one brow at his question. "What do you mean, act two?"



Spike chuckled as he picked up his beer. "Act two of the `Let's torture Spike by showing him our naught bits and running away' show."



Buffy's smile was slow to form and she ducked her head as she felt her cheeks flame. His laughter only made it worse. "I wasn't torturing you," she grinned as she stood and walked to the sink.



"Oh I beg to differ, pet," Spike laughed. "Bloody cruel if you ask me."



Buffy smiled as she emptied her bowl and busied herself with rinsing it before she felt her blush calm. Finally able to face him, she turned. "That was payback for all the male posturing you've been doing. Nothing more. Nothing less."



Spike laughed as he picked his sandwich back up. "Oh, well in that case I'll be sure to run around naked more often," He said before looking at her and taking a big bite of his sandwich.



"Sure you can handle it?" Buffy asked with a huge smile as she looked at him.



"Only one way to find out," Spike told her. "What you got on under that?" He asked looking at her.



Buffy laughed before shaking her head. "Not telling."



"It's red, that much I can see," Spike said as he looked at the red straps from her bra peeking out from under her tank top straps. "You might as well just show me. It's not like I'm not going to see it eventually."



Buffy laughed before crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back against the counter. "Someone's quite sure of themselves."



"Can't afford not to be," Spike said as he finished off his beer and stood. "Standing around wishing for what you want doesn't actually make it happen. Besides," he said as he walked across the kitchen and stopped in front of her, "I know you want me."



Buffy laughed as she looked up at his smiling face before she brought her hands up and pushed him away from her and turned to the living room. "You're completely full of yourself."



Spike laughed as he threw his trash away and turned to the living room. He watched Buffy as she walked around the couch and just as suspected, her ass was barely covered. "No need in denying it, pet," he told her as he walked to the living room. "Most women I meet want me."



"Well, I'm not most women," Buffy told him as he sat down on the opposite end of the couch from her.



"Now that I believe," Spike grinned. "It's been almost a week and I haven't gotten so much as a kiss from you."



Buffy couldn't help but smile as Spike's tongue eased out between his lips as he looked at her. He knew all to well how to play this game. "Does that act usually work for you?"



"What act is that?" Spike asked her softly.



"That whole `I'm a sexy rock star and you can't resist me' routine?"



Spike grinned big as he looked at her before be cocked his head to one side. "You think I'm sexy?"



Buffy couldn't lower her head fast enough. The burn started in her chest and by the time it reached her face she knew she was the brightest shade of red imaginable. Spike's laughter only confirmed it. Her breathing had increased and she wanted to slide completely under the couch. All the teasing in the world and one simple statement turned her into a blushing mute.



She felt the couch cushions shift and taking a deep breath she hesitantly looked up and saw Spike sliding across the couch toward her. He was still chuckling softly and when he was directly beside of her, she swallowed the lump in her throat and looked back down as he wrapped one arm around her and pulled her flush up against him.



"Do you even know how much I enjoy that blush of yours?" Spike asked.



Buffy looked up at him and still felt the burning of her cheeks. His smile was almost blinding and if anything, she was only fueling that already overblown ego of his. I guess he was right about the ego stroking, she thought as she looked at him. Trying to steady her voice she took a deep breath before she spoke. "I never said that I think you're sexy."



Spike's laughter once again echoed in the room. "Yes you do," he said softly before lifting his hand and picking up a piece of her hair.



Buffy stared at him as he twirled her hair between her fingers. She watched the laughter in his eyes before seeing the smile that matched it. If anything, his confidence made him sexy. It wasn't the cobalt blue of his eyes or the dazzling smile and outrageously hot body or the way the sound of his voice ran over her flesh like the fluttering of butterfly wings. It was him. Just him. As his smile faded she looked back up and met his eyes. They were still bright with laughter but they had darkened in color. It was like watching a storm grow over the horizon and being mesmerized by it while fear told you to run. It was hypnotizing.



"So, tell me, kitten," Spike said softly as he stared at her. "Are we still playing the game or are you going to give up and let me kiss you?"