Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this. I'm going to be updating this fiction more regularly now. Trying to at least.
Luv Spuf
LA COSA NOSTRA: LA FAMILIA


Chapter 16: ‘Order of Protection’


Buffy lay in her bedroom, the one she’d had since she was ten-years-old. Next door, in her younger sister’s room, there was the sound of the unbridled sobbing of Dawn Summers, Buffy’s sister. Dawn wailed, uncontrollably, for R.J. Simons, her school chum, her dead kind of sweetheart.

In the end? Buffy and Spike had to tell Dawnie, about R.J. that is, even if it nearly killed them to do so. Dawn was like a sister to Spike and to Buffy? Well, she was her sister, in theory anyway. Who gave a fuck if Dawn had started out as a green blob of bright energy?

The hardest thing of all? For Buffy, Dawn, Joyce or anyone? It was calling the Sunnydale Police Department and oh yeah, R.J.’s parents, to inform them of the awful news. How do you cover up a heinous crime like this? What do you say to the police? To the family? What? Tell everyone that bikers on PCP got hold of the poor kid and threw his dead body onto the Summers’ doorstep?

That had been hours before, and right now? Buffy had a splitting headache, amplified, no doubt, by little James’ need to run about the house squealing gleefully. He was playing hide-in-seek with his Grandfather, Marcus the Vampire Godfather!

“If Marcus Aurileous pretends to be Count Chocula! One more time” Buffy hissed loudly as she rubbed her temples, gently. “Grandpa or not? I’ll stake him myself and…”

“Baby?” Spike murmured, looking in on Buffy from her bedroom doorway.

“Yeah,” Buffy replied, sullenly. “What now?” she continued, “are space aliens overrunning the Sunnydale Library? Mayor Wilkens just grew three heads? No? Let me guess…the Wu Tang Clan is staging a sit in at City Hall and they’re demanding an end to the Middle Eastern conflict?”

“Buffy,” Spike sighed in frustration. “I’m sorry, about the boy that is. Much as I hate any rival of my little brother’s? I never wanted that poor kid to get caught up in this fucking mess. I’m sorry, really,” he sighed.

“What’s this?” Buffy asked her mate with a sneer, “sympathy from the devil?” She immediately felt remorse at her harsh question. Especially since William gave her that puppy dog look of his. That one that melted her cool, hardened heart.

“I know,” Buffy sighed, sadly, as she held out her long arms for Spike to fall into. “I know you never wanted anyone in my family to be hurt, in any way,” she sniffed.



Relieved, when he did just that, Buffy held her ‘man’ close to her body and let him nuzzle her with his face.

“I’m just sorry, for Dawnie,” Buffy whispered, sorrowfully. “It’s not that my little sister was going to marry the guy or anything. But, damn, Will,” Buffy continued, tiny tears began to fall from her green eyes. “He was Dawnie’s friend, if nothing else. To be murdered? Like this? By some master vampire wanna’ be like Riley Finn?”

Spike stroked Buffy’s arms, with his hands, tenderly, all the while thinking. “I’m not so sure it was Riley or the Clan,” Spike muttered. “I’m thinking about what Giles said. It was complete daylight, baby,” Spike gazed into his lover’s green eyes. “Bright sunlight outside? How could Riley, or his band of losers ever catch and kill that boy? Or, for that matter... How could they place him on your doorstep? In broad daylight?”

“Do you think it was Travers? Or someone else that’s human?” Buffy scrunched up her brows and began to bite her lower lip, anxiously.

“Not sure,” Spike grunted, lying on his back and pulling his Buffy on top of him. He pulled her golden head down, gently, to rest on his chest.

“Hey, Buff,” Willow Rosenberg stood at Buffy’s bedroom door, a look of pure innocence on her face.

“Wills?” Buffy sighed, eyeing her best friend, wearily.

“Thought maybe Wesley and me could help out,” Willow muttered, shyly. The poor red haired girl blushed brightly. Her complexion nearly matched her red hair.

“Willow’s got a boyfriend,” Buffy whispered to William, with a giggle.

“So it would seem,” Spike chuckled, snuggling Buffy closer to his body.

“Oh, Wes is so not my boyfriend!” Willow hissed, oblivious to her tell tale blush. “He’s just a really smart, handsome, sophisticated, handsome kind of ex-watcher that is now turned vampire who…”

“Is your boyfriend!” Buffy cried, gleefully, as she finished Willow’s sentence for her.

“And you’re okay with this!” Willow gasped, stunned at her friend’s acceptance.

“Why shouldn’t I be?” Buffy asked, smugly. “Look who the father of my only child is?” she finished by pointing at the vampire that lay next to her.

“Well….yeah,” Willow stuttered. “So, it’s like cool with you?” The red haired witch hung her head, slightly and focused on the floor below her.

“Yes, Wills, it’s cool with me,” Buffy chuckled in response. “Like I said, how can ‘I’ throw stones? My ‘guy’ is a vampire master, father to my son and a cold blooded killer of…”

“You’re not helping your friend, baby,” Spike interjected, his voice a mere whisper.

Buffy sighed loudly, “Willow? Just go and help Wesley figure out what the heck is going on, huh? If you two get jiggy together, in the meantime? Well, then, okay. Get jiggy together.”

Willow grinned, widely and nodded her head. “Thanks, Buff. You’re the best!” she cried as she practically skipped down the hallway. Back to Wesley and their research together.

“I just may have unleashed Armageddon, you realize that, right?” Buffy murmured to her mate.

“Well, Armageddon might as well be unleashed for love, as anything else, eh?” Spike chuckled in response.

“What about us?” Buffy asked, almost shyly of her mate. “Do you think ‘we’ could unleash Armageddon and all? I mean our love and our kid and…”

“Buffy. I don’t know, honestly,” Spike began, “but I know that I love you. And, you love me, right?”

“Right,” Buffy nodded her head, firmly.

“Then we can take anything they throw at us, Princess,” Spike purred as he cuddled his Buffy to his body. “They can’t win, baby,” Spike continued, matter-of-factly. “The Riley Finns of the world, the little maggots that follow him around like sheep? They’re losers, from the get go. It’s you and me, baby,” Spike cooed, nuzzling Buffy’s sweet neck with his lips.

“How can ‘they’ win?” he continued, “when we’ve got each other? Our son? Hell, even my old man and brothers? You’re Watcher? He’s no slouch, sweetheart,” Spike chuckled. “He’s a good bloke and a strong one. Loves you like his own daughter, he does. So, how can we lose, baby?” Spike raised his left brow, in question at his lover.

“We can’t,” Buffy whispered, her voice filled with awe. “We can’t lose, William,” she stated, with even more confidence. “We ‘will’ win,” the Slayer finished with a victorious cry.

“Spike!” Wesley cried, from the bedroom door.

“Is this bloody Grand Central Station, or what!” Spike groaned as he watched the ‘family’ lawyer bounce around in the doorway.

“What!” Spike roared at the poor ‘turned’ Watcher.

“It’s got to be a human, helping Finn, I mean,” Wesley gushed with self satisfaction. “The sunlight? Your mother’s ring? It’s all there and…”

“Give the boy an ‘A’ for effort,” Spike grumbled, as Buffy pulled away from him and stood up from the bed.

“So you’re pretty sure it’s Travers? The Council?” Buffy asked Wesley eagerly.

Wesley bowed his head, in respect to the Clan heir’s mate.

“Wes,” Buffy drawled, in exasperation, “you bow your head like that? One more time? I’ll rip it off and decorate my next Christmas tree with it. Hear me?”

“Yes, Lady,” Wesley nodded, nervously.

“Lady?” Buffy gasped. She turned to look at her mate, William the Bloody.

“Yup, Lady,” Spike replied, with a nod of his head.


“My lady,” the blond vampire added, lovingly.

“I’m quitting school,” Dawn stated, firmly, as she sat on the couch, in between her mother and Buffy.

“What the heck brought that on?” Buffy exclaimed, stunned.

“The kids at school,” Dawn mumbled under her breath, “they already think I’m a freak. Now, with poor R.J.’s scrunched body, found on our doorstep?” Dawn seemed to be eyeing Buffy, resentfully. Or so Buffy thought.

“Okay, so the kids at school so do not think you’re a freak,” Buffy tried to console her little sister. “If they do then they’re the freaks,” the Slayer finished, smugly.

“Buffy,” Dawn sighed sadly, “my sister is a freakin’ Slayer, weirdness and our family goes hand in hand. What?” Dawn asked with wide blue eyes. “You don’t think that people notice how of the weird this family is?”

“Well, they sure don’t know I’m the Slayer,” Buffy pouted. “I’ve hidden that pretty damn well and…”

“This is just ‘too’ much!” Joyce groaned loudly. “I don’t think I can take anymore. I’ve got Don Vampireone playing hide and seek with my grandson; while his son, my daughter’s lover, plots a ‘hit’ on the Family rivals. Just last night,” Joyce continued with an exasperated sigh, “I find out that Rupert Giles thinks I’m just ‘real’ keen and I’ve still got to plan some kind of a wedding in the next 48 hours. My youngest daughter is in emotional pain because the Wu whatever Gang used her friend’s death to send a message. All the while, my grandson, my pride and joy is teetering on the brink of the evil undead world, and…”

“Mom,” Buffy whispered, “this isn’t helping,” the blond shook her head, stilling her mother’s rambling. “Oh,” Buffy continued in a hushed voice, “it’s the Wu Tang Clan, mom,” she finished with a serious nod.

“Great!” Joyce hissed in frustration. “What’s Riley’s theme song? ‘Slap My Slayer Bitch Up?’ or something equally stupid?”

“I resent that,” Spike interjected, with a low growl. “First off, Buffy is not Riley’s bitch. She’s my bitch and…”

“I’m not anyone’s bitch!” Buffy screeched, causing Marcus the Godfather to come out of his newest hiding place (in the fireplace).

“Who’s a bitch?” Marcus asked, innocently enough. Well, as innocent as a vampire Godfather could be.

“No one!” Spike, Buffy, Joyce and Dawn nearly screamed at the old vampire.

“Got you, Grandpa!” James squealed in delight as he grabbed the Godfather about his legs and held him tight.

“Your turn, Grandpa! You have to find me now!” Jimmy gushed in glee, oblivious to the big bad adult problems that were just whirling about in his little world.

“Well, one thing is for sure,” Spike began in a stern voice. “No one, not any of us, human or vampire, go anywhere without protection. Understood?” He glared at Buffy, first, knowing she would be the toughest to convince.

“Protection? Like what kind of protection?” Buffy asked, nervously.

“You,” Spike pointed at the Slayer, “go nowhere without me. Our son, goes nowhere, without you and me,” he continued. “Your Mum, the Bit and even the whelp, Harris, go nowhere wtihout at least two vampire bodyguards.” Spike nodded, in self-satisfaction.

“I mean this, Princess,” Spike peered at Buffy, sternly, taking total charge of the situation. “This is my decision, my order of protection. It’s for the best. I don’t want Wesley or Red, either, to leave this house, unguarded by one of our boys. If it means all daytime activity comes to a halt. Is that clear? That means that Connor joins us, here, Dad,” he addressed his father.



“Now look here, Will,” Buffy bolted from the couch and stood in front of her mate. “If you think that I’m going to run scared from Riley Finn and his little band of not so merry men? You’re dead wrong and…”

“I’m already dead, baby,” Spike smirked, but tweaked his Buffy’s cheek with his left fingers, tenderly. “Besides, like I said,” the blond vampire continued, “this is an order of protection. My order,” he finished with a deep, low voice.

“Oh, I give! Buffy grumbled in defeat, flopping back down on the couch.

“Oh goody!” Dawn yelped, happily, for once, “no school for me!”

“Yeah,” Joyce groaned, miserably, “no work for me? How ‘fun’ is this going to be?” She sighed, sarcastically.

“Oooohhh, no Double Meat Palace! For me!” Buffy squealed, before she remembered that she had ‘quit’ that job anyway. With the help of William that is.

“I think we should have Angel and Wesley, along with Gunn, here, protecting this house,” Marcus offered, pulling rank on his heir, Spike. With great authority, the Godfather added, “the witch, Willow, can conjure up a spell. To protect this hallowed house?” He scowled, briefly then… “I suppose the Watcher will need to be in on this,” he added with a sigh.

“He’s an all right bloke, your Giles,” the Godfather continued. “But the man just cannot hold his scotch. Not at all,” Marcus finished with a wicked chuckle.

“Get Angel and Connor over here, fast,” Spike ordered Wesley. “Make sure that Gunn and Doyle escort them. I want at least four of the top, very top foot soldiers here, to protect my family from those Finn and his clan.”


Buffy gazed at her mate, William the Bloody, in awe. Then she glanced at the Godfather, warily. She tried, very hard, not to notice the pride that radiated from Marcus, for his son. For while it pleased her that Will’s father was proud of him? It scared Buffy to realize that this pride stemmed from the ‘take charge’ attitude that her Will was now demonstrating.


A/N: Long time, no update. I’ve got something up this weekend so I can’t update for a while after tonight? It’s personal, not business (tee hee).

Anyway, thanks for reading, please review.

If you get a chance, drop by and read my other WIP’s: Dance of the Mates and All Manner of Monsters. I’m working really hard to make these fics enjoyable for all to read.

Thanks, luv, Spuf