Author's Chapter Notes:
I've been so bad about updating this fiction. This chapter is kind of short, but hopefully fun.
LA COSA NOSTRA: LA FAMILIA


Chapter 17: ‘Absolutely’


Summary: Buffy begins to ‘rethink’ her relationship with Spike. Joyce has a mother-to-daughter chat with Buffy.


Quote:

“Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely” Lord Acton (1834-1902)


Buffy sat in the kitchen of her mother’s house and sipped at her hot cocoa. She was deep in troubled thought so she paid little heed to the happy laughter of her only child. Her son, James.

‘He is his father’s son,’ Buffy reminded herself, sadly. However, the young woman was not thinking of her own child, her little Jimmy as he compared to his father, William. She was thinking of her William or Spike as he truly was called and how he compared to his own father. Marcus Aurileous, the Godfather of the Vampire Realm.

Joyce Summers sidled up to the stool next to her oldest daughter and sat down. She reached out and took Buffy’s free hand in hers.

“What is it?” Joyce asked Buffy in a serious tone. “Second thoughts?”

“Maybe,” Buffy murmured in reply. “Maybe its third, fourth or even fifth thoughts, mom. I can’t be sure mom,” she added sorrowfully. “It’s just that earlier? When I saw how Marcus looked at Will. He was so, so very damned proud at how ‘his’ son and heir just took over and issued orders. It’s scaring me, mom. Truly,” Buffy hung her head down and stared at the well known pattern of the tiled kitchen floor.

“Spike’s scaring me,” Buffy added in a little girl whisper. It was the first time, Joyce noted, that her daughter had used William’s Aurileous’ name of Spike.

“I see,” Joyce mumbled, more to herself then to Buffy. “So,” the mother continued somberly, “does this mean you’re going to negate the claiming ritual? Send William away, again and lose him for yourself and your son?”

“Mom,” Buffy gasped in surprise. “It’s not like you ever really wanted me to end up with Will? Right?” The younger Summers woman suddenly didn’t seem so sure of herself at all. Especially when she saw the look in her mother’s blue eyes.

“I never said that,” Joyce replied with a shake of her head. “In fact,” she continued with a scowl, “if I remember right? I was the one, three years ago that begged you to reconsider running William the Bloody out of Sunnydale and away from you. But then,” Joyce smiled, coyly, “only I knew at the time that you were pregs with Jimmy, huh?”

“Yeah,” Buffy replied sheepishly. “You were always on the William and Buffy band wagon, weren’t you mom?”

“Yup,” Joyce replied honestly. “For many reasons. Mostly because of Jimmy,” she sighed. “However, I have other reasons too, really. I knew William would be the one to help you in your life. He’s your equal, Buffy and always has been. You need a strong, equal partner in your life, sweetheart. No mere mortal man will ever fit the bill and you know it. Not for my daughter,” she grinned and patted Buffy’s tiny hand with hers.

“I’m not saying I approve of William’s, or should I say Spike’s, family background. Of course not,” Joyce shook her head again. “However,” she shrugged, “you are an exceptional young woman, who needs an exceptional mate. William is that mate, Buffy. Whether I like it or not. He’s not perfect. No male is, I assure you,” Joyce smirked and winked at Buffy. “And yes, there’s the risk he will have to take his father’s place. If anything bad ever happens to the old bastard that is,” Joyce laughed. “I doubt anything will, though,” she added. “Marcus seems to defy human logic and probably will go on until the end of time. So…”

“So, I need to accept William, or Spike as the case may be. Warts and all? Accept him and his family? No matter how much it goes against everything I’ve fought for the last five years?” Buffy asked in a hushed tone.

“You chose him, over three years ago, Buffy,” Joyce reminded her daughter. “William and you share a son together, a love together and I believe, yes, a future together. So, yes, you have to accept him and his family. Warts and all, no matter what Rupert Giles or that idiot Council of his disagree or say it’s wrong. After all, honey,” Joyce muttered. “Need I remind you of the stunt that Quentin Travers and the Council pulled a year or so ago? With the whole test thing and…”

“No, you don’t,” Buffy groaned miserably. “I remember that all too well. At least Will never really meant to kill me and…”

“With power, honey,” Joyce interjected, gently enough. “Or a powerful man, or should I say male,” she scowled momentarily. “Oh, whatever Jimmy’s dad truly is? Anyway, with a guy like William, you choose to accept the power that comes with him. It’s not easy, I’m sure, but it may prove to be the only chance you get in life. For happiness and love, I mean. You are not a normal young woman Buffy,” Joyce sighed deeply as she pulled her daughter to her. “You will never have a normal mate. I’m afraid that’s the way of it. However,” she continued thoughtfully, “you will have a powerful mate. A mate that you deserve and who deserves you, Buffy. Your son together. William loves you unconditionally, even though he knows your faults. Now, you know his. Most regular people don’t get that kind of understanding with each other and…”

Suddenly, there was a loud crash and gleeful laughter from the living room. Jimmy was in that living room, joyfully running about the place. Buffy supposed it was now Will that was chasing his son around the house.

“Probably playing the big bad hunts down the little innocent child and…” Buffy chuckled out loud. She smiled widely in pleasant visual thought of the scene.

Suddenly, it got awful quiet in that front room. Joyce gave Buffy a raised brow and this alerted the Slayer to all of the possibilities that might be…

Buffy slammed her cocoa mug onto the breakfast bar of the kitchen, almost breaking it. She tore into the living room, only to find her significant other and their son, now cuddled up on the couch together. William clung to his son, holding him in a protective vice like grip. Jimmy had his fair head buried into his father’s strong chest, his little arms wrapped around his ‘daddy’ possessively. The son was nearly asleep, as was the father, or so it seemed.

“Oh God,” Buffy whispered softly, her hand held over her mouth as she surveyed the little family scene before her. “How could I ever take this away from either one of them now? After all of this time and how far we've truly come together? It’ll kill them both and me too,” she whimpered. Her heart felt like it was breaking in a million pieces and all of the doubts of the last couple of hours seemed to melt away at this beautiful sight.

Spike opened one blue eye and raised his brow at Buffy. “Something troubling you Princess?” He asked carefully. Although because of his vampire hearing, Spike had heard everything he needed to. Spike had deciphered every word of the conversation in the kitchen.

Now, the vampire was extremely nervous and anxious, worried that his beloved had changed her mind about mating with him. Officially, and becoming the family he so desperately wanted them to become and…

“Yes,” Buffy murmured quietly. “There is something troubling me, Will,” she finished with a sigh as she plopped down next to the vampire on the couch.

“And?” Spike asked cautiously, careful not to wake their sleeping son in his arms.

“I was wondering,” Buffy began hesitantly. She allowed William to wrap a free arm around her and pull her closer to him.

“Wondering?” he stammered, while he placed a few, tender kisses on her forehead, cheeks and finally her pouty lips.

“Yeah,” Buffy continued breathily, the kisses surely accepted and appreciated.

“I was wondering when you were going to really claim me and make an honest woman out of me,” Buffy began to giggle softly and nuzzle her mate’s cool neck.

“As soon as you let me, baby,” Spike purred in relief. “Since the claiming ritual and ceremony is scheduled for tonight at midnight? I’m thinkin’ it should be soon, eh?” The master vampire chuckled softly and planted a sweet kiss on his love’s warm, lush lips.

Dawn Summers took that moment to burst into the living room, Connor in tow. The ‘youngsters’ almost skipped into the room, their hands clasped together between them.

‘Oh, dear God,’ Buffy groaned inwardly. ‘History repeats itself.’

“So,” Dawn chortled giddily, “can I order flowers? For the ceremony?” The teen’s cheeks were flushed with youthful excitement and Buffy didn’t have the heart to squash that.

“Sure, Bit,” Spike blurted out before Buffy could. “You order the prettiest orchids you can find. They are your favorite, right Princess?” The ‘groom’ gazed at his ‘bride’ knowingly.

Buffy felt hot tears sting the corners of her green eyes, yet again.

‘He remembered,’ she thought to herself, a little awed by her lover. ‘Leave it to Will to remember that orchids are my favorite flower.’

“Thought we’d put them about the room, Spike,” Connor mumbled under his breath. However, his gaze was concentrated on Dawn herself.

‘Oh, he’s got it bad,’ Spike chuckled to him. He did not want to embarrass his younger brother or scare Dawn off from Connor.

“Do we need candles?” Dawn asked brightly. “You know,” she nodded over at her older sister, “for the two candles light one thingy?”

“I don’t think it’s going to be ‘that’ traditional, sweetie,” Buffy mumbled with a blush. “Not unless the candles are totally gothic and…”

“Get the candles,” Spike ordered harshly. “I want the bloody candles and we’re havin’ them! We’re having the whole bloody lighting thing and all! Make damn sure the candles are white, white as snow!”

“Really baby?” Buffy cried happily as she threw her arms about Will’s neck in joy.

“Really my sweet. Absolutely,” Spike grinned down at his little Slayer, lovingly. “If you want the lighting ceremony? Then so do I.”

“You’re the best, Will!” Buffy gushed, happily, as she embraced her mate tightly.

It was a good thing that William the Bloody, aka Spike Aurileous, did not need to breathe. At the moment, he could not have, if he had to that is.

“So I take it the candles and orchids are a yes?” Joyce entered the room and plopped down on the antique chair that sat across from the sofa.

“Yes!” Buffy and Dawn squealed in unison.

“Okay, so orchids, candles and what else?” Joyce asked warily of her ‘children’ of darkness.

“Of course,” Connor piped in, sheepishly, “Dad will have to say the words. You know?” The youngest vampire shot his oldest brother a look of ‘what? Didn’t you tell them?’

“Words?” Joyce, Buffy and Dawn asked in near disbelief of Spike.

“Ancient, kind of holy words that is,” Spike mumbled. “I mean, ancient and holy to vampires and such. To the clans and the families and…”

“What kind of words Will?” Buffy asked nervously. Actually, the Slayer of demons was beginning to develop a terrible headache.

“Just words, baby,” Spike assured his soon to be wife, tenderly. “Some silly arse words from an old book. Nothing really monumental or anything. A few ten dollar words from an ancient tome that some first demon passed down and…”

“Will there be any sacred words? At all?” Joyce asked with a scandalized expression.

“Some,” Connor offered. “Buffy’s Watcher will be sure to add the proper human words, I’m sure.” Connor rather slipped off to the far end of the living room and huddled on the mantel place. He occasionally shot Dawn a smile or two, but otherwise the young vampire kept his tongue.

Xander Harris took that opportune time to stumble into the fray and give everyone present a big smile and wave. The dark haired young man joined Connor on the mantel.


“What did I miss?” Xander asked innocently enough.

“Claiming ritual plans,” Dawn giggled her blue eyes on Connor.

“Wedding arrangements,” Joyce Summers sighed, wearily.

“The prelude to the happiest day of my unlife,” Spike interjected, proudly.

“Perhaps the beginning of Armageddon?” Buffy the Vampire Slayer added with a shrug.


A/N: I had to write and submit this tonight. I’ve had the worst evening, really. It did sway the way I finished this chapter.

Yes, I guess we accept our mates, warts and all, be they male or female.

Sigh…

Thanks for reading and please review. I really need reviews at the moment. Luv, Spuf