Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter just about did me in and I can't figure out why?
Anyway, it's supposed to be all official and everything, so forgive my bad Latin, please.
LA COSA NOSTRA: LA FAMILIA



Chapter 19: ‘The Ceremony’


Summary: Spike and Buffy finally are united in the ceremony! That’s about it…


“Buffy! It’s time,” Dawn squealed happily as she entered her older sister’s bedroom. Dawn Summers found her idol, Buffy, at her old lavender vanity, staring intently into the huge gold gilded mirror.

“It’s time, Buffy,” Dawn repeated, a little less loudly this time. She had caught ‘the look’ on her sister’s face and asked quietly, “Is everything okay?”

Buffy sighed heavily and looked up at her lovely little sister with affection.

“Its fine, honey,” Buffy murmured softly. “I guess I’m just a little nervous, that’s all. I know that idiot Quentin Travers was at the front door. I felt the unholy presence of Riley Finn and his moronic minions. When I looked out my window, I saw them, tramping around the front yard and trying to be all grr argh!”

“Giles sent them away, all of them,” Dawn assured her sister. “He had Willow put an even stronger barrier on the house and…”

“It’s okay Dawnie, honest,” Buffy sighed again. “I think it’s time that I just get this ceremony over with and help protect us all from Riley, his clan and that asshole, Travers.”

“Okay,” Dawn giggled with excitement, “let’s get this show on the road!”

“Isn’t Cordy attending?” Willow asked Xander, anxiously. The red-head did not care much for Xander’s fiancé, Cordelia Chase, but she knew that Buffy had invited her to the ceremony.

“No,” Xander replied, sheepishly. “She felt this should be about Buffy and Spike and that only the closest family and friends should attend.” The large young man glanced away from Willow and munched down his appetizer, nervously.

“She was squeaked, right? By the whole Buffy marries the vampire thing,” Willow asked Xander, her red brow raised in question.

“Yeah, she really was,” Xander stammered in response. “Cordy thinks this is a big mistake and she’s shocked that I’m even going along with it. Which, I am, under protest, of course,” he finished with a snort.

“Look Xander,” Willow began, but she was interrupted. Joyce Summers took both Willow and Xander by their arms and gently led those to the make-shift alter. Giles and Marcus were already standing by the altar, their expressions a study in somber reverence.

The somewhat simple altar set in near darkness, except for the dozens of lit candles that surrounded it. Candlelight gave the whole setting a somewhat ‘holy’ surreal atmosphere and evoked silent awe from everyone in attendance.

“It’s time,” Joyce whispered to Willow and Xander, placing them next to Giles, across from Marcus, Angel and Connor. “Here comes the bride,” the older Summers woman murmured, focusing her proud gaze on the staircase.

Dawn led the way, down the staircase, with Buffy three steps behind her. Everyone on the first floor seemed to take a deep breath, all at once.

Spike gasped loudly as he watched his ‘bride’ descend the stairs and gracefully walk to him. Buffy had always been beautiful to Spike, there was no question of that, but now? Now she was ethereally gorgeous and appeared to be not of this world at all. Like some golden angel on earth that had been sent, just for him, William the Bloody.

In her left hand, Buffy carried the boquette of roses; her right hand was entwined in their son, James’ left hand. Spike would never, ever, forget this moment as long as he unlived.

The blood red roses Buffy carried reminded Spike of the warm, sweet blood he would take from his mate later that night. It was the blood, the taking and sharing between them that would mate Spike and Buffy forever. He had always loved Buffy, since day one that was true; loved and worshiped her. Now, he loved her beyond any reason in the world, demon or human.

Spike felt his arousal for Buffy and their mating grow even more apparent and he groaned inwardly. This was going to be a long, long ritual that was for sure.

Angel whistled, softly at his new sister’s beauty, and glanced at his younger brother, Connor. The teenage vampire seemed to only have eyes for Dawn Summers, Angel noticed.

Once Buffy had joined Spike at the altar, she let go of James’ little hand and reached out to him. He placed his left hand, tenderly, onto Buffy’s warm little cheek.

The light from the candles inlluminated both the bride and groom’s lovely faces. Everyone present just stared in awe at the two lovers and their son who stood patiently next to them.

“You look amazing Princess,” he whispered in awe at Buffy. Spike eyed Buffy up and down, longingly. Buffy’s golden hair framed her face like a halo and Spike felt like pulling her mouth to his and…

“You look pretty darn good yourself,” Buffy giggled softly as she perused her groom’s attire. Will’s hair was all spiked up and framed his face like some punk rocker’s ‘do’ that just excited Buffy to no end…

“William!” Marcus snapped the couple to attention. “No physical contact, not until after the ceremony!” The Godfather scowled at Spike, but then smiled, benevolently at his soon-to-be daughter.

“Yes Da,” Spike grunted. He smiled at Buffy, lovingly, and tried really, really hard not to tuck a loose strand of her lovely golden hair behind her ear. The light from the candles illuminated his Buffy’s beautiful face and he wanted so much for this whole ceremony to be over. He wanted so much to…

Buffy pouted without thinking, a little put out that she could not be touched by William, or touch him for that matter.

‘This better not take long,’ she growled inwardly. ‘I don’t think I can wait too long to…’

Giles stepped forward and began to recite some Latin words that Buffy did not understand at all. Although she could not understand the exact words, Buffy could understand their heartfelt meaning.

“Lucere conecto ab caliginosus,” Giles began in his deep ‘watcher’ voice. “Lucere conecto ab caliginosus compago enim de beneficium de omnis clementia.” (translation/loosely: Light and dark is connected, joining together for the benefit of all humanity)

When he had finished his words, Giles beamed his loving approval at Buffy. Although, originally, Rupert Giles had scoffed at this union, he now realized the need for it. For Buffy, Spike and especially for little James.

Marcus immediately began his chant: “Icis ambo, implexus enim infinito. Vindieiae-arum compago en amor, amor amor.
(The two together, entwined for eternity. Claimed together in love, passion and adoration)

The ceremony ritual seemed to go on for hours, at least to Spike and Buffy. Their son, James, on the other hand seemed to be getting a major kick out of the whole thing.

Finally, after various words, each delivered in Latin and English by both Giles and Marcus the Godfather, the rite finally came to an end.

Together, Giles, the Watcher and Marcus the Godfather spoke in unison:

“Icis sacramente compago un William e Elizabeth es finis. Icis de unicus. Nullus ambrosius; non humanous brevis interim-veni icis.” (The sacred joining of William and Elizabeth is completed. They are one. No immortal/demon nor human shall ever come between them)

“William,” Marcus whispered to his awe struck son, “you may kiss your bride.”

And he did. Oh, how Spike kissed his Buffy.

Dawn swept James up in her arms and handed him some rose petals. “Throw these at your mom and dad,” she ordered the tot with a giggle.

James began to toss the blood red, white and pink petals at his parents, giggling merrily as he did. The other ‘guests’ clamored about the couple and offered their congratulations.


‘On the other side of Sunnydale; down by the ocean in a dark, dank, dirty cave…’

Riley Finn roared his rage to the very rafters of his lair as he ‘felt’ the finish of the wedding ceremony between ‘his’ Buffy and that fuckhead, Spike Aurileous. He knew it would be only hours before Spike claimed his bride, Buffy, completely. Therefore, shutting out all other suitors for the Slayer of their kind.

“You stupid fuck!” Riley roared at Quentin Travers as he picked the terrified man up with his fist. By the throat that is. He held the Council head up, in the air and squeezed tightly on the old bastard’s neck.

“You should have stopped this catastrophe Travers,” Finn hissed at the human. Riley was in full vampire visage by this time, his ridges and veins stuck out in pounding anger.

“I,” choked Travers weakly, “I could not, Riley,” he offered in his defense. “You were there. They were adamant and…”

Riley glared at the human with a predatory gleam in his brown eyes. The master vampire seemed to ‘ponder’ something for a moment, then let go of the human in his clasp.

“No matter,” Riley stated harshly, more to his minions then to Travers. “I don’t give a fuck if half of the Aurileous Clan marks Buffy as theirs,” he spat. “I don’t live by conventions and rules. The first chance I get? I’m taking Buffy for my own. Spike’s claim on her or not!”


A/N: This chapter kicked my arse! I don’t know why but it was just so long in the posting. I have to postpone the actual blood claiming until the next chapter! I’m exhausted!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette