Author's Chapter Notes:
This story is way too long, I'm sorry but I have more to tell...
Thanks for reading and please review.
LA COSA NOSTRA: LA FAMILIA




Chapter 23: ‘Mystery Guest’


A/N: This story has gone on way too long and I do apologize, except, there is more to tell and I have to continue it. Thank you for reading!

Summary: Buffy and Lorne near the Wu Tang lair, but where’s Andrew? What’s going on with Dawn and Connor?

Giles, Joyce, James and Spike get a ‘special mystery guest’ at the Summers' home. Will he help them help Buffy? At what price? Oh, the visitor reveals some good but surprising news for Spike!


Chapter 23:



“Why would Andy boy slip off and go covert on us, Buffkins?” Lorne the great horned demon asked warily of the slayer.

“Well, I suppose it’s got something to do with having to travel in sewers, green guy?” She replied sarcastically. “He ‘is’ a vampire, remember, and it’s pretty sunny right now. Andrew can’t very well travel up in the real world, right?” Buffy sighed in frustration.

“Oh, right,” Lorne shrugged as he followed the ‘chosen one’ through the bright sunny streets of Sunnydale. “Good thing it’s pretty deserted right now,” the demon scanned the near empty city streets.

“I guess that’s why old Spikey can’t be with us, huh? His innate allergy to Mr. Sunshine up there?” Lorne chuckled good-naturedly at his fearless female leader. “He might burn up his lush little vampire ass.”

“Oh, put a lid on it,” Buffy grumbled as she led the green faced, horned and red-eyed demon to the Caves of the Wu Tang Clan. “My husband will be at the caves soon enough, I assure you,” she mumbled under her breath. “If I can rely on anyone, anywhere? It’s my William.”


“So,” Spike hissed at his mate’s watcher, Rupert Giles, “when does this Ethan Rayne get here?”

“Rayne is a bit of a mystery,” Rupert sighed as he removed his glasses and cleaned them nervously. “He might show up in a moment or wait until the last minute to make a grand entrance. He’s Ethan Rayne, Spike, and he’s…..”

A loud bang, followed by a cloud of bright green smoke appeared before Giles and the vampire, Spike. When the smoke cleared, a rather handsome, distinguished middle aged man stood before them.

“Rayne, I presume?” Spike asked simply of the watcher.

“I’m afraid so,” Rupert mumbled warily.

“Hello Ripper,” Ethan Rayne greeted his one time best friend. “It’s been bloody ages old man,” he chuckled wickedly.

“Maybe not ages enough, Ethan,” Giles spat as he took a step closer to his old college buddy. The two older men eyed each other, suspiciously.

“You are the one that summoned me Ripper,” Ethan Rayne reminded his old friend. “I take it that the Aurileous are here, on the Hellmouth? This must be your Slayer’s consort, eh Ripper? William the Bloody I presume. Or, should I call you Spike?” Rayne smirked at the master vampire.

“You presume bloody well right, mate,” Spike hissed, trying very hard not to show his demon visage. “Just call me ‘Master’ and I’ll be happy,” the vampire growled at the warlock.

“Let us keep this civil, gentlemen,” Rupert sighed. “I preferred not to involve you Ethan,” the older man muttered, mostly to himself. “However, we need help with this matter and you seemed to be the best choice. Willow Rosenberg is still a novice witch and we needed someone with more formidable powers.”

“A wise move, Ripper,” Ethan Rayne replied evenly. “It just so happens that I’m on the Hellmouth, on holiday as it were and…..”

“Cut out with the playing nice like old college mates,” Spike spat impatiently. “My wife is out there, on her own, facing down the Wu Tang. Me little brother and Buffy’s little sister are involved here, Mr. Magic Man. We’ve sent for you, Rayne,” he continued in his best menacing voice, “to help me teleport, I guess, to where my wife has headed off to. Right now would be a good time, mate,” he added with his most impressive master vampire authority tone.

“Impressive,” Rayne yawned dramatically. “However, what’s in it for me, friend?” Ethan blurted smugly. “What do I get from this ‘help’ I’m being asked for?”

“First off, I’m not your friend, Rayne. But, let’s just say that I’ll…..” Spike began ferociously.

“That’s enough, Spike,” Rupert interjected. “What do you want, Ethan?” Giles asked his ex-best friend, warily.

“How about the pick of the litter?” Ethan responded with an angelic smile. Well, a fallen angel’s smile to be exact.

“The pick of the litter?” Spike spat, fully aware of what this wanker meant.

“Yes, you know,” Rayne continued with a wry smile. “Your boy there, James is it?” Ethan smiled benevolently at little James, who hid behind his father.

“I’d say that the boy is pretty well spoken for. By the Powers That Be that is, but the other one? The one you impregnated Rupert’s slayer with? Just recently? It’s most likely a girl and…..”

A stunned look passed between Rupert Giles and Spike Aurileous. “How could you know that, Ethan?” Giles asked his ex-best friend gruffly.

“I know many things, Ripper,” Rayne chuckled wickedly. “Many things indeed,” he finished with a smug grin.

“I’ll rip your bloody throat out before I let you have any of my children, Rayne,” Spike roared as he grasped the older warlock’s throat with his strong hands.

“Okay,” Ethan Rayne choked out as he felt his life slipping from him. This master vampire had him by the balls, figuratively speaking that is.

“Okay,” Rayne repeated weakly, “so pick of the litter is out,” he admitted in a strained, harsh voice.

“I should say so,” Rupert noted menacingly enough. “I’d say that it’s Spike Aurileous that has the ‘upper hand’ in this matter,” Giles grunted with a sardonic smirk. “Drop him,” Rupert ordered Spike evenly.

Spike let go of Rayne’s throat and the older warlock slipped to the floor, limply. After he picked himself off of the floor, Rayne asked gruffly:


“So what am I supposed to do, Ripper?” Ethan asked with a sullen expression. “Just come here; save the day and not ask for a bloody thing in response?”

“It just might do your soul some good, Ethan,” Rupert snorted as he surveyed his well manicured finger nails. “It would not hurt you to help your fellow man by aiding the ‘right’ side in this war and…..”

“Oh for God’s sake, Ripper,” Rayne spat impatiently, “maybe I should teleport your huge head out of your tight arse!”

“See here, Ethan,” Giles sputtered. “I won’t have you come here and…..”

“Both of you! Shut the fuck up!” Spike hissed, after scanning the room and making sure his young son was out of earshot. James had fled to the kitchen to be with his grandmother, Joyce.

“Just get me to my Buffy,” Spike growled his order at both of the older Brits. “ASAP!” He hissed at the warlock.

“I repeat,” Rayne mumbled evenly, watching Spike’s every move. “What’s in it for me,” he asked icily.

“A full pardon,” Giles interjected quickly. “If you teleport William the Bloody to his mate, safely and promptly? I'll make sure you get a full pardon from the Council, Ethan. That and you can live your life out knowing that you helped take Quentin Travers down.” Rupert watched his old mentor, carefully to clock his reaction to this tempting offer.

“QT is here? In the middle of this?” Rayne gasped in shock. “Oh, let me guess,” he continued roughly, his eyes narrowed into slits. “The old bastard is siding with the ‘other team’ is it? What’s the prize, Rupert? No, you don’t need to answer. It’s the boy, isn’t it,” Rayne gazed at the kitchen door, his bushy brows scrunched together.

“It is the boy,” Rupert replied quietly. “You have to know that none of us would ever turn Buffy’s child over to Travers, or the rogue Council members. Or you for that matter, Rayne,” Giles grimaced at the older man.

“I see,” Ethan muttered softly, pacing back and forth in front of the watcher and vampire. “It must have been quite a jolt, eh Ripper? To find out that your precious Council head was a fucking Judas at heart?”

“It’s no matter to me, not anymore,” Rupert spat, shaking his head. “All I care about now is that Buffy, her child and family are safe. That and to see the Wu Tang Clan destroyed, utterly and completely. My slayer needs her mate, Ethan, by her side. You must help us. Understand?”

“I understand, Ripper,” Rayne murmured. He stopped in front of Rupert and smiled at him, almost warmly. Almost, that is.

“Understand this, mate,” the watcher continued sternly at his one time friend. “If you muck this up, or betray any of us? I’ll turn you over to the Godfather, Marcus Aurileous, at the drop of a hat. Do you understand that Ethan?”

“I understand Ripper,” Ethan Rayne mumbled under his breath. “And Rupert, I’ve missed you Rupert,” he added as an afterthought.


“So, Lorne,” Buffy chatted amicably as they maneuvered through the beach sand. “I’ve got an important question,” she stated perkily.

“Yes, muffin?” Lorne replied, trying to keep the damp sand from mushing over his new Prada shoes.

“Male demons, such as yourself,” Buffy continued as she strode forth. “You guys have real balls, metaphorically speaking that is?” Buffy stopped and turned to face the green demon, a serious expression on her face.

“Well, yeah,” Lorne stammered, for once at a loss for a lot of words.

“That’s good,” Buffy sighed dramatically, “because we’re both going to need them, and soon. Lorne, my old friend, we’re going to need balls of steel to face up to the hordes of hell that are in that cave.”

Buffy had stopped in front of a large hole in the side of a secluded ocean cliff. “We’re here, oh great Green One,” Buffy mumbled as she set the big canvas bag down. The one she had carried all the way to this destination.

“What’s in the bag, Buffy biscuit?” Lorne asked brightly, trying to change the dour conversation.

“Oh,” Buffy muttered non-chalantly, opening the bag and pulling out a number of ‘things’ from it. “A little of this,” she grunted as she held up a huge torch of some kind. “A bit of that,” she stated, revealing a can of lighter fluid. “Oh, and this,” she chuckled evilly, holding out her hand. In it was a silver plated Zippo lighter.

Lorne could read the tiny writing on the lighter. His race of demons had incredible eyesight.

“To my eternal love, William,” the green demon recited loudly as he deciphered the tiny words. “Love forever, Buffy.”


A/N: I had to get the show on the road, again. I hope this chapter was okay. Next chapter, Buffy will definitely face off with Riley and the Wu Tang Clan. Will Spike show up in time to help? Will the Aurileous Clan show up in time to help?

Please tune in; same ‘bat’ time; same ‘bat’ channel.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.