Chapter 16 - Mending


Slowly opening his eyes, Spike’s first instinct was to stretch his stiff muscles before he noticed the tiny blonde, protectively nestled in his arms. Smiling down at Buffy as he watched her sleep, he was relieved to see the peaceful look that had settled over her features.

Hearing a soft sigh as Buffy slowly moved, stretching one arm above her head and opening her eyes, he saw the brief confusion flicker in her gaze as she wondered where she was. Seeing Spike lying next to her, she easily relaxed. “Hi,” she said softly.

“Hi,” he replied with a smile. “Sleep well?”

“Yeah,” she murmured in a tired voice, reaching up to run her hands through her tangled hair and groaning when she encountered the knots where it had dried while she was asleep. “Oooh, not good,” she said with a smile that Spike eagerly returned.

“Looks fine to me, luv.”

“Of course it would,” she said with a soft giggle that was music to Spike’s ears. “Hair advice from the peroxide king.”

“Oi!” Spike cried indignantly, his brow furrowed in mock annoyance. “I think I look damn sexy.”

“You would,” she said with a smile, laughing when Spike immediately attacked her ribs before hissing in pain as one of her injuries decided to make itself known again.

“Oh, pet, I’m sorry,” he said, his voice thick with worry.

“Not your fault,” she said, grimacing as she braced her hand against her ribs, sitting up in the bed.

“I should have…I didn’t-”

“Can we do something tonight?” Buffy asked, turning toward him with a hopeful expression, desperately wanting to change the subject.

“What do you want to do?” Spike asked, relieved that she seemed okay. Folding his hands behind his head, he watched her as she got out of bed and began going through a bag that Willow and Riley had brought for her the night before.

“I don’t know,” she said with a shrug, turning around with a small bag and a brush in her hands, immediately working it through her hair. “Something fun.”

“You sure you feel up to it?” Seeing the chipper façade fade away, Spike immediately regretted the tactless comment. “I just meant…”

“I know,” she said with an understanding smile. “And I feel okay…but if you don’t want to or you have plans, I’ll understand.”

Spike frowned as she turned around, walking toward the bathroom.

“Hey,” he called after her, throwing the covers away and getting out of the bed. Seeing her stop in the doorway, he quickly approached and carefully wrapped his arms around her waist, leaving gentle kisses along her neck and shoulder, smiling as she shivered through the thick terrycloth. “I would love to do something,” he whispered. “How about a movie?”

“Okay,” Buffy said with a smile as she turned around. Watching as her smile slowly faded away, Spike frowned.

“Something wrong?” he asked, tilting his head in her direction.

Turning toward the mirror, Buffy grimaced when she saw the battered reflection that looked back at her. “Maybe we shouldn’t,” she murmured, biting her lip and running the brush through her hair.

“Why not?” Spike asked, watching over her shoulder as she briefly made eye contact with him before looking away.

“Look at me, Spike,” she whispered tearfully. “I’m not exactly…”

“You’re beautiful,” he said softly, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her neck. “But if you don’t want to go out, we can always stay in and rent a movie.”

“Really?” she asked with a hopeful expression.

“We can even ask the guys if they want to join us.”

Buffy gave him a brilliant smile as she relaxed against his chest. “That sounds good.”

“We’ll go pick something out when you’re ready,” he said, letting go of her and walking over to sit on the edge of the tub, enjoying the simple act of watching her go through a familiar routine. Once the bruises faded and the cuts healed, he knew that this would be one of his favorite times with her. Just enjoying the simple act of watching her go through something as normal as getting ready in the morning.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Buffy asked with a smile as she put on some moisturizer.

“Just admiring from afar, pet,” he said with a smirk.

“Not much to admire,” she muttered, looking through her make-up bag and pulling out a bottle of foundation, hoping to cover the worst of the bruising.

“Don’t say that,” Spike said, his brow furrowed as he tilted his head to watch her. “It fades. It will all fade, Buffy.”

“Maybe,” she whispered, glancing at her reflection and looking away in disgust.

“It will,” he insisted.

“What about the internal damage?” she murmured almost to herself, playing with the small cap on the bottle.

Spike swallowed as he clasped his hands in front of him. “Maybe you should see someone, Goldilocks,” he whispered, hoping she wouldn’t get defensive at the simple suggestion.

“Like a therapist?” she asked softly.

“Yeah,” Spike said, nodding slightly.

“You’re majoring in psych,” Buffy said, turning toward him with a forced smile. “Couldn’t I just tell you and have an evaluation?”

“You could,” he murmured with a nod. “But I’m not exactly qualified. I’m here to listen to anything you have to say, but I think you should talk to a professional, luv.”

Avoiding his eyes, Buffy ran her hand along the sink, looking for any kind of distraction. “Do I have to decide now?”

“No,” Spike said quickly, not wanting to push her. “Not now. It’s enough that you’re considering it.”

Offering him a soft smile before turning back to the mirror, Buffy let out a heavy sigh. “I hate black eyes,” she muttered, looking in the mirror.

“I would imagine you would,” Spike replied, watching her carefully and enjoying the fighter that seemed to emerge from the young woman. He realized he was catching a rare glimpse of the woman she used to be…the woman she should be.

“It’s just…you’re always aware when you have one.”

“I’m not sure I followed you round that bend, pet,” he replied, standing up and moving behind her so he was visible in the mirror, over her shoulder.

Buffy sighed, looking away from her reflection and turning around. “See this?” she asked, gesturing to the bruise on her jaw. “Yeah, it hurts, but it hurts when I talk. If it hurts too much, I just don’t have to talk for a while. You with me so far?”

“So far, so good.”

“Well, with a black eye, every time I blink, it hurts and I can’t just…stop blinking.”

Spike pulled her closer, careful not to hurt her as she snuggled into his chest.

“It won’t hurt for long,” he whispered, kissing the top of her head.

“Can I stay here?” she asked with a smile. “I forget all the pain when you’re holding me.”

“You think I’m going to let you go?” Spike asked, tightening his hold and smiling when he felt her soft giggle against his chest.



Thanks so much to: spufette, Sevvy_O, Blazing Fire, Beasleysmom, Seraiza, Maddie Mae, missy, Jennice, Brunettepet, TammyAsh666, Caitie, Amanda, willowmouse, Franchesca, stace, pj, phantomwriter, BuffyandSpikeForever, lindsay, Crystal Pegasus, gypsy_jin, BuffyRat & Caroline for reviewing!