Chapter 3 – ‘Accidental’ Interaction


Spike walked through the campus, exhaling his relief that yet another long, torturous week of school was behind him. Unlocking his car, he quickly threw his books in the backseat and was about to get in the driver’s seat when a flash of blonde hair caught his eye.

With a secretive smile, Spike locked his car and jogged toward the library where she disappeared. Slowing his pace, Spike walked through the door and subtly scanned the area. He frowned when he didn’t see Buffy but decided to take a casual stroll around the building.

The library was three floors. The main floor held the computer terminals and upstairs contained the periodicals.

‘She said that her major was photography,’ Spike thought. ‘She’ll probably be downstairs in the stacks.’

Heading for the stairs, Spike quickly descended, keeping a careful watch over the area. Walking deeper into the area, he was about to turn around and check the upper floors when he saw her sitting with her back supported by the shelves, thumbing through a book in her lap.

Walking toward her, Spike grabbed the closest book he could reach and continued down the aisle.

“Buffy,” he greeted, letting some surprise slip into his tone. “I didn’t expect to see you here,” he continued when she looked up at him with a stunned expression.

“Spike,” she said softly, climbing to her feet.

“How are you, luv?”

Looking at him curiously, Buffy briefly wondered if there was more concern in his voice or if she was just imagining it.

“I’m fine,” she said with a soft smile before walking passed him.

Spike watched her for a moment, feeling his jaw tighten when he noticed a slight limp in her walk.

“You’re hurt,” he said softly, causing her to stop a few feet away.

Buffy turned to face him, feeling her breath catch when he stepped closer to her. “I-I fell,” she said softly. “It’s no big deal.”

“You fell?” Spike repeated in a disbelieving tone.

Managing a slight nod, Buffy changed the subject. “What are you reading?” she asked, taking the book out of his hands. Spike noticed the suppressed smile on her lips when she turned her eyes back to his. “You’re checking out this book?”

“Yeah,” Spike said, slightly confused.

“You’re checking out ‘The Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology’?” Buffy asked with a grin.

Spike’s eyes widened, inwardly cursing himself for not looking at the book he grabbed. “Uh…yeah…health class,” he replied, nervously scratching the back of his head.

“Health class?” she asked skeptically with a bright smile threatening to emerge.

“Yeah,” Spike said, shoving the book back at the shelf, not caring where it ended up. “Um…not for me…my friend Xander asked me to pick it up.”

“Is that right?” Buffy asked with a smile.

“Yes,” Spike said defensively as he shoved his hands in his pockets. “You don’t believe me?”

Buffy bit her lip to keep from laughing. “Well, if your friend, Xander, needs it, wouldn’t it make sense to check it out instead of putting it back on the shelf?”

Spike was at a loss for words. “Um…well…you see…oh sod it! I saw you come in here and I wanted to talk to you.”

Buffy didn’t hide the surprise on her face, but Spike was pleasantly surprised at the light blush and soft smile that graced her features. “What did you want to talk to me about?” she asked.

“Nothing in particular,” Spike said in a low tone, feeling satisfaction flood through him when she seemed to respond to his casual flirting. “I had a good time yesterday.”

Clutching the book close to her chest, Buffy worried her bottom lip as she looked at the floor. “I did, too,” she whispered.

“How about we do it again sometime?” Spike asked, gently tilting her chin up to face him with one hand as the other extracted the book from her arms and tossed it to a nearby shelf, allowing him to get closer to her without making her feel threatened.

Buffy’s eyes widened before she began to vehemently shake her head. “I-I can’t.”

“I just want to get to know you, luv,” he whispered, letting his fingers caress her jaw and smiling when she closed her eyes at the gentle touch. It had been so long since Buffy felt anything from a man that could be considered tender, and she nearly had tears in her eyes at the simple gesture.

“I need to go,” she said softly, not wanting to pull away.

“Needing and wanting are two different things,” he said in a husky whisper.

Buffy reluctantly pulled herself away from the man. “I need to go,” she repeated, letting him know that it was the last thing she wanted.

Spike took a deep breath, deciding to up the stakes. “When can I see you again?”

He held his breath, waiting on her answer, knowing that he was taking a big risk and she might not feel anything other than friendship toward him.

“I don’t know,” she whispered.

Spike’s heart leapt, knowing that she was considering it and didn’t say ‘no’ straight out. The look in her eyes made him want to take her in his arms and never let go.

“Buffy,” he said in a gentle tone. “I want you to know, that if you ever need to talk…”

He trailed off, letting the unspoken words hang in the air. Buffy inhaled sharply as she nodded, turning away from him.

“I know about Parker,” Spike said, once again taking a risk.

Her shoulders went rigid at the mention of her boyfriend’s name. “You don’t know anything,” she said, her back still turned to him as a hint of anger tinged her voice.

Spike took a step toward her, his hands itching to reach out and comfort her, but he knew it was best to control his impulses for now. “I know you’re terrified every time his name is mentioned.”

Buffy turned toward him with tears shimmering in her eyes. “Spike…please, just stay out of it…please,” she said, knowing that she was begging but not caring.

“I can’t do that, pet.”

“You have to,” she said, her voice taking on a panicked quality as her nerves set her on edge.

“Why?” Spike asked with an edge in his tone.

“Because if you don’t, he’ll kill you.”

“I can take care of myself,” he insisted, not worried in the slightest that some pillock might feel threatened by him. Men who beat up women weren’t exactly known for being able to stand up to other men. ‘Let him try and come after me,’ Spike thought, his anger mounting as he thought of the ponce hurting Buffy. ‘I’ll bury him alive.’

“Please, Spike.”

“He won’t get near me, Buffy. I can handle myself and take care of him in the process. He won’t be in a position to hurt me, let alone kill me.”

“Then he’ll kill me.”



Thanks so much to: TammyAsh666, tiff, spuffette, melissa, Franchesca, SoulNyte, gypsy_jin, Jenn, Caitie, Alicia, Sevvy_O, Renee, BuffyandSpikeForever, gattaca, Seraiza, Nyah Ambrose, willowmouse, Laine, Crystal Pegasus, Jessica & BuffyRat for reviewing!