Chapter 5 – Excuses


Spike wandered through the stacks of the library, hoping to run into Buffy again. This had been the same time he’d found her the other day, and he couldn’t resist the temptation to possibly see her again.

He turned a corner and couldn’t suppress the smile that lit up his face when he ran directly into her. “Hello, luv,” he said brightly, grasping her shoulders to keep her from falling. “Fancy running into you again.”

“Spike, you shouldn’t be here,” Buffy whispered, looking at the ground.

Spike’s smile faded as he gently hooked a finger under her chin and tilted her head up to look at him. His eyes turned a stormy shade of blue as he looked at her, ghosting his fingertips over the bruise on her right cheek.

“What happened?” he asked in a hard voice.

“I think you know,” she replied.

“Buffy…tell me what happened.”

“He thought I was sleeping with you,” Buffy whispered, looking down in shame.

“Where is he?” Spike asked in menacing voice.

“Please, don’t get involved in this, Spike,” she said, her voice rising in alarm as she looked into his eyes.

“What else did he do?” he asked, looking her up and down for signs of any further damage.

“Spike, please…”

“He’s not going to get away with this, Buffy. Now tell me where he is.”

“No,” she replied in a strong voice.

“Buffy-”

“I said no,” she repeated, looking him in the eye. “It’s none of your business.”

“The hell it’s not,” Spike said, louder than he intended. He cringed when he saw her shudder and take a step away from him. Softening his tone, he took a tentative step toward her, gently reaching out to take one of her hands in his. “He can’t keep hurting you. You have to realize that this isn’t right.”

“I know it’s not right,” Buffy cried with tears streaming down her cheeks. “You think that I go through life in denial? Maybe a part of me does, but it’s still my life, and I have to accept whatever comes into it.”

“Says who?” Spike asked in quiet exasperation. “No one should have to accept this. Let me help you, Buffy.”

“It’s too dangerous,” she replied, shaking her head.

“It’s too dangerous for you to stay,” he countered with a raised eyebrow.

“He says he’ll change,” she whispered, avoiding his eyes. She knew it was a flimsy excuse, but it was all she had to hold onto.

“He won’t,” Spike said gently, trying not to make her appear foolish for buying into an obvious lie. “Let me take you to the police. You need to report him and keep him away from you.”

“So that he can what?” Buffy asked in exasperation. “Get out in twenty-four hours and track me down? He’ll just make it that much worse when he finds me again. Spike, don’t you realize here’s nothing you can do?” She felt fresh tears slip down her cheeks as she looked at the ground. “I’m getting what I deserve.”

“Now you listen to me,” Spike replied in a firm voice, tilting her chin up to look in her eyes. “You deserve someone who knows just how special you are. Someone who is secure enough with himself, that he doesn’t have to take out his aggression and anger on you, just because you happen to be there. Parker needs help…among other things.”

“Please, Spike,” Buffy pleaded as tears continued to fall.

“You’re not happy…how could you be?”

“Please don't make this harder,” she whispered.

“You don’t belong with him,” he continued, seeing that he might be getting through to her in some way. “You’re something…you’re better than this.”

“I-I need to go,” Buffy said, turning to walk away as she wiped the tears away.

Spike lightly grabbed her arm, turning her to face him again. “You gotta get away from him, pet, before it’s too late…before he really does kill you.”

“There’s no way…I can’t. I have to go, he’s expecting me.”

“There’s a party at my fraternity tonight,” Spike said in desperation, never letting go of her arm. “I want you to be there.”

“Spike…”

“Buffy. If you’re going to be with him tonight, I want to be able to keep an eye on you. You’re a smart girl, figure out how to get him there.”

“I’ll try,” she whispered.

“And Buffy?” Spike waited until she turned to fully look at him before continuing. “You really don’t deserve this.”

To emphasize his point, Spike pressed a gentle, chaste kiss against her lips, pulling away all too quickly for either of them. He expected her to walk away. To leave him with nothing but a memory of her sweet lips against his. Nothing could have shocked him more than when she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him against her body and practically attacking his
lips with hers.

Spike moaned, loosely gripping her body close to his and spinning them to gently press her against the nearby bookshelf. Buffy seemed to be taking everything she needed from the kiss as if Spike was healing her. Her tongue gently massaged his, her hands pulling him closer to her as their lips moved together with surprising force.

Breaking away breathlessly after a moment, Spike rested his forehead against hers. Buffy gasped for air, watching as he nervously licked his lips before meeting her eyes. “Promise me you’ll be there,” he whispered, brushing the hair away from her face.

“Why is it so important to you?” she asked softly, letting her hands wander along the strong muscles in his arms.

“Because I want you to know you’re not alone.”

She gave him a gentle smile, letting her fingertips run across his cheekbones before nodding. “If it’s that important to you, I’ll be there.”

Spike grinned, dipping his head lower for another kiss, knowing that his heart would be breaking in a few moments when he had to let her go. But for these few precious moments, she was his. For these few moments, and even longer, they belonged together…and they both knew it.





Thanks so much to: Ash, spuffette, Juanita, Caatje, Caitie, Laine, stace, Seraiza, Crystal Pegasus, Demonica Mills, melissa, Maddie Mae, Sevvy_O, gypsy_jin, Alicia, BuffyandSpikeForever, pj, Jenn, willowmouse, BuffyRat and Nyah Ambrose for reviewing!