A/N A huge thank you to noaluvjames for the truly beautiful cover art for this story!! If anyone wants to see it, go to my LJ (address in my account info).




Chapter 6 - Plotting


Spike never left the vicinity of the front door. The party was in full swing, and he was practically standing guard as he watched each student walk up the long path toward the frat house.

“Any sign of them?” Angel asked, walking up behind him.

“Not yet,” Spike replied through clenched teeth, his mind turning over every possible scenario that could have happened.

“But she promised?”

“She did.”

“Then she’ll be here,” Angel said, clapping his hand on Spike’s back.

“What if-”

“Don’t think about it.”

“It’s the only thing I can think about,” Spike said with a heavy sigh. “Everyone knows what to do if they come?”

Angel nodded before looking up and seeing Parker leading Buffy toward the house. “Showtime,” he said to Spike before walking away.

Spike watched Angel approach Faith and say a few words to her. He glanced out the door and resisted the urge to go beat the shit out of Parker before turning and walking up the stairs. stepping out of sight when he reached the second floor, he stood in the shadows, staying where he could see the foyer without being seen.

Buffy seemed understandably nervous as Parker led her into the house. Spike watched the other man whisper something in her ear, and he felt his blood run cold when he saw her instinctively flinch away from him.

“Buffy?”

Spike smiled as his plan was put in action.

Happily walking over to the blonde, Faith smiled when she noticed that Buffy was obviously confused since the brunette rarely spoke to her.

“Hey, B!”

“Hi,” Buffy replied with a nervous tremor in her voice as she looked at Parker.

“Thanks for letting me borrow that shirt the other day. I’m such a major klutz, spilling coffee all over myself.”

Buffy watched in confusion as Faith gave Parker a hard look before offering her hand. “I’m Faith Lehane.”

“Parker Abrams,” he replied with a friendly smile as he shook her hand, not noticing the contempt in her eyes as his gaze perused her curves.

“Glad to meet you. So listen, B, I’ve got the shirt upstairs if you want to get it back.”

“I-I don’t-”

“Hey, Abrams!”

Buffy turned in time to see two very large men walking up to her boyfriend.

“Angel. Riley,” Parker greeted with a nod.

“Wet t-shirt contest outside, come on,” Riley said, grabbing his arm.

Spike rolled his eyes when Parker willingly followed, waving at Buffy to go get her shirt from Faith.

‘Leave it to that pillock to choose random women over a woman like Buffy,’ Spike thought before shaking his head. ‘Why am I surprised? A man who beats a woman doesn’t have any morals left.’

“Come on, B. I think they just bought us about fifteen minutes,” Faith said, leading her up the stairs.

“Fifteen minutes? For what? You never borrowed a…”

Buffy trailed off when she saw Spike standing at the top of the stairs. Her eyes widened as she swallowed down her nerves.

“What’s going on?” she asked in a whisper, looking back and forth between Faith and Spike.

“I’ll let Blondie explain,” Faith said, turning to Spike. “Ten minutes.”

“I thought you said fifteen?” Spike replied.

“Do you really want to risk Parker suspecting something?” Spike sighed and shook his head as Faith continued. “I’ll be right here.”

Spike took Buffy’s hand and could feel the nerves coming off of her in waves as he led her toward his bedroom.

“Spike, what’s going on?” she asked as he shut the door.

“Relax, luv,” he said in a soothing voice, leading her over to a couch and sitting down next to her. “I just wanted some time alone with you.”

“A-alone?”

“Just to talk. I promise.”

“This is way too risky, Spike,” Buffy said, her eyes still darting around, even though they were alone. “If Parker finds us in here alone-”

“He won’t,” Spike replied, running a hand along her cheek and feeling a tiny amount of satisfaction when she didn’t flinch. “My friends are keeping him occupied.”

“Y-your friends?”

“I had to tell them.”

“You what?” Buffy asked, jumping up from the couch with tears in her eyes. “God, Spike! You do know that Parker’s going to find out, and he’s going to…”

Trailing off as she tried to swallow the enormous lump that had just lodged itself in her throat, she took a deep breath.

“Buffy…I wanted you to know that you have people around who can help you.”

“I already did,” she whispered tearfully.

“I know. You have Willow, but now you have a bunch of men who are willing to kick the shit out of Abrams if he lays a hand on you.”

“They don’t even know me.”

Spike stood up, hoping he wouldn’t be intimidating to her as he pulled her into his arms. He felt himself relax when she practically burrowed into him, clutching at the fabric of his shirt.

“They don’t have to know you, to want to protect you.”

“That doesn’t make sense,” she replied, her voice muffled against his chest.

“It’s not right, Buffy. What he’s doing isn’t right, and we all just want to help.”

Buffy released a shuddering breath before speaking again. “Who knows?”

“Riley, Angel, Faith, and Charles Gunn.”

“That’s too many people,” she said, pulling away from him, her eyes wide with panic. Spike could almost see her shutting down, not wanting to deal with anything.

“I trust them, Buffy,” he said softly, leaning down to look into her eyes. “If anything ever happens and you can’t find me, you can go to any of them, alright?”

“Why are you doing this?” she asked miserably.

Spike sighed, absentmindedly tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “Because I can’t stand the thought of him hurting you,” he said softly. “Because no one should be put in this situation and feel like they can’t get out of it. Because I want to be with you so bad that it chokes me.”

“Don’t,” Buffy said in a painful whisper, shaking her head back and forth. “I’m…I’m not worth it.”

Spike closed his eyes for a long moment, taking a deep breath. “I think you are,” he whispered, brushing his lips against hers before looking deep into her eyes. “I know you are,” he said with more resolve in his voice. “I’m going to get you away from him.”

“You can’t.”

“I’m going to get you away from him,” he repeated, never breaking eye contact with her.

Buffy’s chin trembled as she eagerly stepped into his embrace, letting the world slip away for a few precious moments.



Thanks so much to: spuffette, melissa, Manda, Alicia, TammyAsh666, VamptasticA, Franchesca, Caatje, Sevvy_O, Laine, stace, gypsy_jin, BuffyandSpikeForever, Caitie, Charlene, Brunettepet, pj, Demonica Mills, Maddie Mae, Nyah Ambrose, willowmouse, dreamgirl4eva, Crystal Pegasus & alexandrea for reviewing!!