Chapter 7 – Cracking


Sitting on Spike’s lap, Buffy moaned as his tongue stroked against hers, his arms wrapping around her waist to pull her closer to him.

The mood was immediately shattered when a knock sounded on the door. Spike felt his heart ache watching as Buffy practically leapt to the other side of the room, her hands wringing together nervously as her eyes shifted toward him.

“It’s alright, pet,” he said quietly before opening the door.

Faith walked in with an apologetic smile. “Sorry guys, but it’s time to make an appearance.”

She threw a white tank top at Buffy, who caught it and looked confused.

“For believability,” Faith said with a shrug. “Every girl has a white tank top, and Parker won’t be suspicious.”

Buffy took a deep breath before offering a smile to the other girl. “Thank you.”

“No problem, B. If you ever need anything, I’m here most of the time.”

Buffy looked around the room, making eye contact with Spike. “Here?”

“She’s Angel’s girlfriend,” Spike said, seeing the uncertainty in her gaze. “We better go.”

With a sad look on her face, Buffy walked toward the door, clutching the shirt in her white-knuckled hands. Spike stopped her before she passed by him, gently holding her arm as he waited for her to turn and look at him.

“I’ll be keeping an eye on him,” he said softly, relaxing when he saw the soft smile that briefly appeared on her lips.

“Don’t get too close,” she whispered, closing her eyes when Spike pulled her to him for a searing kiss.

Faith walked outside, leaving them both alone for another moment.

Reluctantly pulling away, Spike cupped her face in his hands, pressing his forehead to hers as they caught their breath. “If he does anything…if he so much as looks at you the wrong way, get away from him.”

“It’s not that easy,” Buffy whispered, idly playing with his shirt as she tried to make him understand.

Spike pressed another kiss to her lips, fighting the emotions that were coursing through him. “You’re not alone anymore, Buffy.”

With a tiny sniffle, she nodded, feeling a calming warmth pass through her when he placed his hand on the small of her back, guiding her out the door.

She felt as if she was leaving a sanctuary to go back into the depths of Hell.

* * * * *

Buffy and Faith walked down the stairs, with Spike promising he would follow in a few minutes. Following the dark-haired girl toward the back of the house, she was surprised when they veered off into a hallway.

“B, I just wanted you to know that you can trust Spike.”

“I know.”

“And if you ever need anything, we’re here to help…all of us.”

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she gave Faith a grateful smile. “Please don’t tell anyone.”

“I won’t. We better get you back out there before he starts to wonder where you were.”

Walking out onto the back deck, Buffy saw Parker with a beer in his hand, ogling the half-dressed women. Not that she was surprised, but she couldn’t help the nagging thought that made her wonder- if she was ever free from Parker, what poor, unsuspecting girl would take her place?

“I was beginning to wonder about you,” Parker said as they approached.

“My fault, big guy,” Faith said, slapping him on the shoulder with enough force to make him flinch. “I couldn’t find the shirt.”

Buffy held up the tank top as if to prove the point. She saw a few men watching her over Parker’s shoulder, and she suddenly felt uneasy.

“I don’t think we’ve met,” one of the men spoke up. “I’m Angel O’Shea,” he said, knowing better than to offer his hand to the young woman. He knew she’d be uneasy with it, and there was no telling what Abrams would do if he saw her in close proximity with another man.

“And I’m Riley Finn,” the other man said, waving at her.

“Hi,” Buffy replied timidly.

It didn’t go unnoticed when Parker stepped closer to her, wrapping an arm around her waist to practically stake his claim on her.

Out of the corner of her eye, Buffy saw Spike step out of the house, and his eyes immediately traveled to her. She avoided the look, not wanting to give anything away since Parker was so close, but she was inwardly grateful for his silent show of support. It put her at ease to know that he was watching out for her.

She turned when she saw Willow follow him out of the house and walk over to her.

“Hey, Buffy,” she said with a bright smile, completely ignoring her best friend’s boyfriend.

“Hey, Wills,” she replied, relaxing even more with the presence of her best friend.

Willow’s eyes immediately seemed to travel to Riley, offering him a timid smile.

“Hi,” he said with a bright smile, taking a step closer to the redhead. “I’m Riley.”

“Willow,” she introduced herself, a blush creeping into her cheeks as Riley shook her hand.

“You go to school here?”

“Yeah, I’m roommates with Buffy.”

“I’ve never seen you around.”

Buffy watched the looks that passed between the two and couldn’t help but notice the obvious mutual attraction.

“Would you like something to drink?” Riley asked, offering his arm.

“Great!” Willow replied with a wide smile.

Watching as her best friend walked away, a smile played on Buffy’s lips, hoping that Willow would get the happy ending that Buffy knew she wouldn’t have.

* * * * *

An hour later, Buffy found herself standing alone. She hadn’t seen Spike, although she could almost feel that he was close by. She didn’t know if it was wishful thinking, but the thought was settling her nerves, so she didn’t question it.

Willow and Riley were sitting next to the pool, laughing quietly together. Parker was standing with Charles Gunn, laughing at something. Even from this distance, Buffy could see the tight, forced smile on Gunn’s face.

She was amazed that Parker hadn’t kept her by his side, but she was grateful for the break.

Jumping when she felt a hand on her arm, Buffy looked up to see Spike, pulling her toward the shadows at the side of the house.

“Spike,” she whispered, looking around frantically. “What are you doing?”

“I needed to see you one more time tonight,” he whispered, letting the darkness surround them.

Pushing her gently against the side of the house, he was mildly surprised when her hands eagerly pulled him to her for a long, passionate kiss. Breaking away from each other, breathless, after a moment, Buffy looked into his eyes. The normally bright blue shade was a deep indigo in the faded light.

“This is too risky,” she whispered, contradicting her statement by pulling him to her for another kiss, letting her lips play over his for a few more moments before reluctantly breaking the contact.

“Meet me tomorrow,” Spike said softly, not ashamed that it sounded like he was begging.

“I-I don’t know if-”

“If it’s safe…will you meet me?”

Buffy nodded, looking at him curiously before Spike pressed another kiss to her lips that ended .

“Meet me at our spot in the library. I’ll take care of Parker.”

“What do you mean take care of him?”

“Relax, luv,” he whispered, running his hands up and down her arms in soothing motions. “I won’t be the one approaching him, so he won’t suspect anything. Do you trust me?”

“Always.”


Thanks so much to: spuffette, TammyAsh666, BuffyRat, alexandrea, Crystal Pegasus, Caitie, Alicia, willowmouse, Sevvy_O, BuffyandSpikeForever, Laine, gypsy_jin, Demonica Mills, dreamgirl4eva, Franchesca, Seraiza & Brunettepet for reviewing!