Chapter 8 – Fragmenting


Spike was nearly frantic when Buffy hadn’t shown up at the library. Gunn had volunteered to approach Parker with an offer to play basketball, wanting to keep him busy for a few hours and hopefully giving her a chance to get away from the pillock.

But she was an hour late.

Spike was pacing back and forth in the secluded area, periodically looking through the assorted aisles, hoping to catch a glimpse of her and becoming more worried by the minute.

After waiting another agonizing five minutes, he finally whipped out his cell phone and dialed her dorm room.

“Hello?”

Breathing a sigh of relief when he heard her soft voice, his hand traveled up to the bridge of his nose, trying to relieve the pressure that was forming. “It’s me, luv.”

“You shouldn’t be calling me,” she whispered.

“Is he there? If he’s there, just say it’s a wrong number.”

“No…he’s not here.”

“I thought you were going to meet me.”

“I was, but…Spike, it’s too risky.”

“Isn’t Abrams with Gunn?” he asked, resuming his pacing.

“Yeah,” she said softly. “I just couldn’t meet you. I’m sorry.”

“Is Willow there?”

“Yeah,” Buffy said skeptically. “Why?”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes. If the ponce shows up, we’ll just tell him I was talking over a class project with Willow.”

“Spike, no!”

“I have to see you, Buffy. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

* * * * *

Five minutes later, Spike was practically running through the hall of her dorm room. Knocking on the door, he was surprised to see Willow open it instead of Buffy.

“Where is she?” he asked, concern lacing his words.

The redhead didn’t say anything- she merely opened the door a little more, revealing Buffy curled up on her bed, clutching a stuffed pig to her chest.

Exchanging a worried look with Willow, Spike stepped into the room and slowly made his way over to the bed. “Buffy?” he whispered.

When she didn’t even acknowledge that he’d entered the room, Spike carefully sat down on the edge of the bed. Risking another glance at Willow, who was nervously wringing her hands together and biting her lip, he felt his stomach drop when he turned back to the small blonde.

“Look at me, luv,” he pleaded, hooking a finger under her chin and slowly tilting her head toward him. Making contact with her watery eyes, he felt his heart ache before his eyes hardened. His fingertips ghosted over the purple and blue bruise that ran underneath her right eye, quickly pulling his hand away when she flinched.

Without saying a word, Spike got up from the bed, with every intention of finding her so-called boyfriend, only stopping when he heard her quiet voice.

“Don’t.”

Turning back toward her with disbelief clearly written on his face, Spike walked back to the bed, crouching down to look at her. “He can’t keep doing this, Buffy.”

“You can’t go after him.”

“Buffy-”

“Spike, you knew about this when you met me,” she said softly. “It’s not going to help, if you go after him.”

“It’s not going to help if I don’t,” he replied with an edge to his voice.

Seeing the tears in her eyes, Spike looked at the ceiling for a moment, trying to control his emotions. “Why did he do it this time?”

“Apparently I didn’t stay close enough to him last night,” she muttered, unable to meet his gaze.

“How can I get you away from him?” he whispered, becoming more distressed at the idea that she wouldn’t, or couldn’t, willingly leave Parker behind.

“I told you…you can’t.”

Spike turned his head away from her for a moment, breathing deeply to control his emotions and seeing Willow slip out of the room with tears in her eyes.

“It’s a no-win situation, Spike,” she murmured in a choked voice. “You might as well give up on me now and save yourself the trouble.”

His eyes widened in disbelief before he slowly lay down on the bed. Buffy’s lips parted in confusion as he pulled her into his arms, gently stroking her hair until she closed her eyes in contentment, sending a small thrill through Spike that she trusted him enough to relax in his presence. “Not giving up on you, Buffy. I’m not leaving you to face him alone.”

Sniffling slightly, she looked at him with watery eyes. “You should probably go…if he shows up…”

“If he shows up, I’ll kill him,” Spike replied calmly, pulling her closer to him when she began trembling.

Laying together in contentment for a few minutes, Spike’s lips brushed along the top of her head, inhaling the sweet scent of her hair as he closed his eyes.

“Tell me what to do, Buffy.”

“I don’t know,” she whispered, her hand trailing along his stomach as if she was testing whether he was real or not.

“You could move into the house,” he said hopefully. “The guys wouldn’t mind, and there would always be someone there in case he shows up.”

“I can’t do that,” she mumbled, her voice muffled as she snuggled closer to him.

“Why do you feel like you need to stay with him?” he whispered softly, not wanting to be accusing her of something and shattering the fragile trust she seemed to have built toward him.

“Because if I leave, he won’t just hurt me…he’ll hurt the people that I love.”

“We could get him arrested, luv. We could-”

“What?” Buffy asked, sitting up to look at him, her golden hair spilling over her shoulder and falling on his chest. “We could have him sit in jail for a couple of nights before ‘Daddy’ gets him out on bail and he comes looking for me? We could send you and your friends to go beat him up and still end up with the same result?” Spike listened as her voice became more choked up. “We could see what he would do if I walk up to him and say, ‘Parker, I want to break up with you’? I can’t do it, Spike,” she said shaking her head as tears streamed down her face. “I can’t do it and…”

A sob tore from her throat, her head falling to his chest as tears began to fall from Spike’s eyes as well.

“…I feel like I’m cheating on you when I’m with him,” she continued in an almost inaudible whisper. “And that’s silly because…because I obviously don’t have you.”

“You have me,” he whispered with so much emotion, more tears began to fall from her eyes. “You’ve had me from the first moment I saw you. Don’t think for a second that you don’t.”

He listened to her cry for a few more minutes, unable to do anything but hold her close and try to soothe her. “I’m so sorry I dragged you into this,” she murmured, trying to calm herself down.

“You didn’t,” he said softly, kissing the top of her head. “It was my choice and I don’t regret it. Not for a single moment.”



Thanks so much to: Sevvy_O, TammyAsh666, Renee, Brunettepet, Caatje, gypsy_jin, Franchesca, Carrosparro, Jenn, Crystal Pegasus, Spikes Sweety, Amanda, Alicia, Demonica Mills, BuffyandSpikeForever, willowmouse, Lindsay, Laine, stace, PK, Seraiza, BuffyRat, dreamgirl4eva, Kez, Maddie Mae, Beverly & pj for reviewing!