Chapter Thirteen

As coherent thought came back, the vampire dropped his head to the floor in despair.

(Bloody hell. I claimed her. What was I...This is not good. I claimed a slayer. And after tellin’ her I’m leavin’ here and never comin’ back.)

He picked his head up and pulled back to meet her joyful eyes. He was still buried inside her warmth and truly had no desire to leave that place yet, but his shock at what his demon had done was stronger than the urge to stay there until he was hard enough to have another go. He reluctantly pulled out of her gently pulsing walls and rolled off to the side on his back.

He kept one arm around her and she immediately curled into his body, throwing one arm across his chest and looking up at him expectantly.

“Buffy, pet, I’m sorry. I never meant to do that—didn’t even really bite you. It was just a little nick and the demon...”

“The demon tried to claim me. I know what it means, Spike. Why do you think I said it to you when I gave you that spectacular – if I say so myself – hickey?”

“But I shouldn’t have done it, luv. I’m not plannin’ on comin’ back. I keep trying to tell you that, but you just won’t listen to reason. Bloody stubborn woman! Why won’t you believe me?”

“Because I know you, Spike,” she said softly, reaching up with one hand to stroke his agitated face. “I know you’re going to come back to me. It might take a while, and...and I won’t be very happy while you’re gone, but I know you’re coming back. And I’ll be waiting for you.”

“I can’t leave her, Buffy. She needs me. She depends on me to take care of her and to...love her.”

Buffy wisely refrained from pointing out that this woman who was so dependent on him was currently banging his grandsire so frequently and loudly that it had driven him out of the building. She knew that Spike was blaming Angelus for it and would forgive Dru. It was his nature to forgive the women he loved, no matter how much they hurt him.

“I know, my love,” she said, stroking his face again. “It’s okay. You wouldn’t be you if you could switch allegiance that easily. I have to earn your love. And Dru has to—“ She stopped herself from revealing what she knew of his future with the insane vampire. “you’ll come back when you’re ready, and I’ll be here.”

The confidence in her voice frightened him. She was so sure of herself. Just as he was sure that he could never love anyone the way he did his dark princess. The dark princess who was currently seeing that her sire received continuous happiness-inducing orgasms all night. That thought made him tighten his arm around the Slayer and she slid over onto his body, reminding him that he had his own source of happiness at hand.

Giving up any attempt to convince her that she was wrong about him and their future, he ran his hands down the silky skin of her back and cupped her round butt cheeks in his hands, pulling her up so that the head of his rapidly hardening cock was nudging at her entrance.

“You okay for another go, pet?” he asked, concerned that she might be sore. “Don’t want to hurt you...not much, anyway,” he added with a leer.

“I can handle it, vampire. I’m a Slayer, remember? I’ve been hurt a lot worse for a lot less reward. You haven’t begun to hurt me enough to—“

She was interrupted when he pushed her hips down onto his cock and she couldn’t control the slight flinch when he pushed against her torn flesh. Immediately, he stopped and looked at her anxiously. Even while he cursed his inner William for being the biggest ponce in the world, he was apologizing and lifting her off.

“It’s okay,” she said softly, nuzzling his neck and licking the mark she’d made, “Please, don’t stop.”

“I think it’s bleedin’ again, luv,” he managed to get out. His demon was almost drooling as the smell of her blood mixed with arousal sent it into a frenzy.

“Maybe you could kiss it better?” she offered breathlessly.

“Good plan,” he agreed, pulling her up to his face. “Nothin’ like vamp saliva to help a wound heal...” he settled her over his mouth and let his tongue slide inside to lap up the mixture of blood and moisture he found there. Buffy gasped when she felt his cool tongue moving around inside her aching quim, searching for any trace of bleeding or torn tissue.

While she supported herself on her knees and hands, she tried to let him guide her hips wherever he wanted them to be. It wasn’t long, though, before she was moving her hips in small circles, unable to keep still as his talented tongue moved from her now soothed entrance to the little nubbin begging for attention. When he pulled it into his mouth and bit down gently she shrieked, trying to muffle the sound by turning her head toward her shoulder.

He quickly pulled her back down and without pausing, slipped into her thoroughly ready entrance. There was no pain this time, and no blood as Spike’s attentions had set the healing in motion and her accelerated Slayer healing had taken over. She sat up and smiled down at him as she began to squeeze his cock rhythmically. When his hands reached for her breasts this time, she didn’t bat them away, but arched her back and thrust them into his hands.

He didn’t think he’d ever seen anything as beautiful or erotic as the sun tanned girl writhing on top of him. Without moving her hips at all, she was managing to bring him to the edge of another orgasm just using her internal muscles.

When his appreciative murmuring took on an urgency that couldn’t be ignored, she fell forward onto his chest and allowed his moving hips to give her clit the friction it needed. With matching gasps, the two powerful blonds shook with intensity of their orgasms and clutched each other as waves of pleasure swept over them.

This time, Spike remained inside her warm body as she lay against his chest and whispered his name. He held her lightly, more than willing to be used as a pillow as long as he could stay inside her warmth a while longer.

Buffy stayed where she was as long as she could, knowing this was the last time she would have him like this until Drusilla’s infidelity sent him running back to Sunnydale next year. As much as she dreaded the upcoming months without him, the knowledge that he was alive and that he would be coming back made it bearable and she prepared herself for losing him again, albeit, temporarily this time.

“I love you, Spike,” she breathed in his ear. Without waiting for a response, she kissed him gently and lifted herself off his body, suppressing the whimper that threatened to emerge when he slid out of her.

Spike made no attempt to hide his reaction to the loss of her warmth, and he growled when she moved away from him. She just looked at him sadly and said, “It’s almost dawn. You can stay here today, if you want. There’s a cot in the basement. I have to get some sleep and then see what Willow and Jenny have come up with in the way of soul-restoring spells.”

“You’re going to try to put it back?” he asked incredulously. “Now that you know it’s not permanent? Are you daft? Do you have any idea what Angelus is like, Buffy?”

“Actually, I do,” she answered quite seriously, as she pulled on her jeans. She’d given up the search for her underwear, although she’d been sure she’d taken them off at the same time as the jeans. Completely ignoring Spike’s indignant snort, she turned her back to him so that he could fasten her bra for her and continued talking without answering his grumbled, “I’m more used to undoin’ these, pet.”

“If Jenny and Willow haven’t been able to come up with it today, I’ll...I’ll probably kill him. I can’t take a chance that he’ll be able to...” she stopped and shook herself. “But I’m sure between the two of them they’ve been able to find something. Even if it’s only a temporary fix until we figure out a way to anchor his soul. I owe him that much. All you have to do is help me distract him and control Drusilla until we can get the spell done.”

He peered at her uncertainly. This business-like Slayer was quite different from the perky little girl who’d been tormenting him since he arrived in Sunnydale. And different from the experienced, affectionate woman in a girl’s body that he’d just made love with. He was a little chilled at her matter of fact discussion of killing the vampire she professed to still care about.

This Slayer was different from the other’s he’d fought in more ways than one. He reminded himself that she’d survived him, Angelus, and five or six more years of vampires, demons and potentially world ending apocalypses. He looked at her with new respect and asked, “Then what, pet?”

“Then I guess you’ll leave and take her away from here. She’s healed now and if she stays here I’ll have to kill her sooner or later. If you love her, you’ll take her very far away. That was your plan wasn’t it?” She looked at him steadily. “Make Dru better and kill another Slayer?”

His bowels clenched as she reminded him of his original intent.

“I don’t want to kill you anymore, Buffy. You know that. But I won’t let you stake Drusilla.”

She looked at him coldly. “You couldn’t stop me if I wanted to do it. And I should. She’s a killer.” She stared into his suddenly narrowed eyes and continued with a sigh, “But you’d never forgive me, and I don’t want that. So I’m letting you take her away. Just be sure she doesn’t come back. No train massacres this time around.”

He knew she was referring to something that had happened in her future, and filed it away to worry about later. He stood up and began to dress, hiding her lace underwear in his back pocket as he pulled on his jeans. When he was dressed and had put his duster back on, they stood, both looking awkwardly at the floor.

Finally Buffy moved toward him and laid her hand against his chest. He could feel the heat from her hand through his tee shirt and unconsciously leaned in to it. She ran her hand lightly over his chest, smoothing the shirt out as she did, then dropped it to her side.

“You better get back to them, if you aren’t going to stay here. I don’t want them to suspect you’re helping me.”

“No way to hide what we’ve been doin’, pet. You’re all over me, jus’ like I’m all over you. A raw fledgling would know what we’ve been doin’ – not to mention our new neck decorations.” He gestured to the small cuts his fangs had made on her neck and the slowly fading love bite she’d left on him.

“A shower and a change of clothes will take care of most of it,” she suggested. “Do you really think they’re going to know where the marks came from? If they can even see them, by then.”

“I dunno, love. I didn’t really bite you, so I don’t think it’s gonna be an obvious claim. But if either one of them gets close enough to try to drain you...I dunno. We’ll see, I guess.” He looked at her closely. “Don’t think it’s gonna be real strong, and it probably won’t last once I’m gone.”

He saw the disappointment flash across her face briefly, but before he could say anything else, the Slayer’s mask was back in place and he decided to let it go.

“Ok, then. I guess that’s it until we’re ready to make our move. You’ll just have to wait until we show up, I guess. I hope it’s going to be tonight, but it might take a day or two. If I could think of some way to let you know...”

“ ’S alright, pet. I’ll jus’ hang close to the two and keep an eye on ‘em. Hard to tell what they might get up to what with Angelus havin’ to be good for so many years. He’s probably bustin’ with schemes to destroy the world or somethin’”

“Good guess,” she smiled at him sadly. “But I’m going to try to keep it from getting that far this time.”

“Sun’s comin’ up, luv. I’ve got to go. Got to find a place I can clean up before I go back to the factory.”

“I know,” she said softly, tilting her face up toward his. He leaned down and their lips met one last time in a kiss that started out very chaste and deepened into something he didn’t want to examine too closely. He knew that the taste of this girl’s lips would haunt him for a long time to come and he almost groaned as she pulled away for air.

“Good-bye, Spike,” she whispered, dipping her hand into his back pocket and stealing back her underwear.

“Hey! I stole those fair and square, Slayer! And how did you...” he stopped and shook his head at himself. “Oh yeah, almost forgot.”

“I know you,” she smirked, waving them in his face.

“God help me, you do,” he said as he let himself out the door into the rapidly dwindling darkness. “You do.”