Chapter Twenty-three

They ducked into the crypt that Buffy seemed to know so well and Spike went into vamp face so that he could see the way for them just as he had before. He stopped in the middle of the crypt to look around and commented, “You know, this wouldn’t be too bad if it was cleaned up a little. And with that downstairs area available for a bedroom…” He stopped when he heard Buffy giggling and cocked an eyebrow at her.

When she didn’t respond to his unspoken question, he realized she couldn’t see him and he said “What? Is it funny that I’d want to live in a crypt? I AM a vampire, you know.”

“No, that’s not what’s funny. It’s just that you…never mind.” She waved her hand in the air and added, “I think if you put down some soft oriental rugs and got a nice bed, the downstairs could be quite…comfy.”

“Why would I want orient…” he stopped and threw up his hands in sudden understanding. “Bloody hell, woman,” he growled, “why don’t you just tell me what furniture to get and what part of the room it goes in? I’m guessing that would save me a lot of time.”

Buffy’s shoulders were still shaking with laughter and she moved closer to him and slipped her arms around his waist.

“I’m sorry, Spike. But you had to know there was a reason I knew about this crypt. It’s not like I make a habit of learning the ins and outs of all the crypts in the cemetery.”

He gave her a reluctant grin and looked around again.

“So, this is where I Iived when we…”

“Yeah, most of the time. I mean while we were… but then you lived in my basement for a while too.”

“I lived with you? How’d that go over with Mum?” The instant he felt her stiffen, he remembered her reaction to the mention of her mother’s future when he’d brought it up before and he pulled her against his chest more tightly.

“Ah, I’m so sorry, luv. I’m a stupid git. I forgot…”

“It’s okay,” she mumbled into his chest. “I’m not going to let it happen this time. At least I hope not.”

“ ‘M sorry, anyway. Seems like I keep openin’ my big mouth and remindin’ you of things I’m supposed to know about. Maybe I should just stop talkin’.”

“Oh, yeah, like that’s gonna happen,” she sniffed with a smile.

“Hey! Tryin’ to be nice here, Missy. Jus’ watch it.” His gentle smile belied the threat in his words.

Buffy nuzzled his chest with her face, getting blood on her cheek in the process and she was instantly reminded that he was injured.

“Come on, Big Bad. Let’s get you home and cleaned up. You’re getting blood all over me.”

“Mmmmmm,” he said, obediently leading her toward the open entrance to the lower level. “Could lick it off for you if you’d like…”

“Later,” she said as she followed him down the hole and into the arms she knew would be there to catch her. “Definitely later.”

With a sigh, he released her and looked around for the exit. Buffy gestured in the general direction of the tunnels leading to the sewers and he prowled around, sniffing and using his enhanced night vision to find the way out.

“Do you know how to get from here to your house?” he asked curiously.

“Oh, shit!” she groaned in dismay.

“I’ll take that as a ‘no’?”

“I didn’t even think about that. You – my Spike – knows the way so well…Damn!”

“Don’t worry, pet. We’ll suss it out. Jus’ stop and think for a minute. Tell me what you do know about these tunnels and which direction you think your house is.”

Buffy frowned and tried to picture the landscape above them.

“Okay. There’s a manhole right outside the cemetery gate, which is in that direction,” she gestured toward her right, knowing Spike could see her hand motions. “And my house is that way from the gate,” she added, pointing to the left.

“Right, then. Off we go.” He took her hand and led her out of the cavern and into the tunnels. As soon as he realized there was room for them to walk side-by-side, he linked their fingers and they splashed along together as though strolling through a park on a lovely spring day.

He paused at the manhole, looking around at the branching tunnels and sniffing the air. Buffy climbed up the ladder and nudged the cover up just enough that she could look around and get her bearings. When she felt Spike right behind her on the ladder, she started and gasped.

“What are you doing?” she whispered, although there was nobody out yet in the early dawn light.

“Jus’ had to follow that luscious rump, pet,” he laughed as he nipped her on one cheek with his blunt human teeth. “Bet it tastes as good as it looks…”

“There will be no discussion about tasting any of my body parts, mister. Not while you’re in game face, anyway.”

“Not wearin’ m’fangs just now,” he purred, running his mouth up to the bare skin exposed as she held the manhole cover open. He licked and nibbled his way around to her side, smiling when he smelled her arousal and felt her heart rate pick up.

“You need to stop that,” she murmured, even as she leaned back into him. “There’s no place here to—“ she stopped with a little shriek as he ran his hands up to her breasts and cupped them both. She felt him moving up the ladder and he was soon pressed against her body, his cool fingers still on her aching breasts. He slid his thumbs over the lace-covered nipples, smiling as they hardened in his hands.

“There’s always a place, luv.” He ran his tongue down the side of her neck, thrilling at the way she shuddered when it touched his marks. The way his tongue tingled told him the connection was still working for him too and he almost frowned at the idea that such a small amount of blood could establish such a long-lasting claim.

(Got to look into that one of these days. Maybe it’s ‘cause she’s the Slayer or somethin’.)

Buffy turned around as far as she could and craned her neck so that she could reach his mouth with hers. The matching moans from the partially open manhole would have startled any early morning joggers had there been any. Fortunately, most residents of Sunnydale knew better than to go out running until the sun was completely up and all shadows had been banished for the day.

Surrendering to the sensations the eager vampire was creating, Buffy allowed the cover to drop back into place as she turned around completely to meet Spike’s kiss and wrap her arms around his neck. He put one arm through the side rail of the ladder and used it to hold them in place while he ran the other one under her shirt, stroking her warm, silky skin and leaving heated trails everywhere his cool fingers touched.

The need to touch him became overwhelming and Buffy brought her hands down to push his tee shirt up and run them over his smoothly-muscled back. When she started to wrap her legs around his waist again, he stopped her, smothering her complaining pout with another kiss.

Jus’ a second, luv,” he coaxed, reaching down between them and undoing his jeans. He groaned with relief when his erection sprang out, then hissed when she immediately wrapped one warm hand around it. While she stroked the hard column of flesh, imagining what she couldn’t see in the dark, Spike was undoing the fastenings on her own pants and sliding his cool fingers into the waiting warmth.

Buffy moaned and arched against his hand, wishing for one of the few times in her life that she’d worn a skirt instead of pants. She almost growled in frustration as he struggled to push them down far enough to spread her legs.

“Don’t know why you have to wear such bloody tight pants, pet,” he gasped, almost losing his grip on the ladder.

“Note to self,” she panted, “Always wear a skirt around Spike.”

They stopped their frantic pushing and rubbing for a second, laughing softly at their mutual frustration. Reluctantly, Spike pushed himself away from her and let her shimmy her pants down her legs. She held the cuff with one foot and pulled one leg off to dangle in the air while she immediately brought the freed leg up to catch on his bare hip.

With a growl, he grabbed her smooth, bare ass and pulled her closer, rubbing his now completely exposed cock against her. She mewed as he allowed it to slide up and down her slit, the moisture pooling there making it glide smoothly over her clit. When he slid back down, she jumped up and wrapped her other leg around his hips, dropping onto his ready shaft.

Spike grabbed the ladder with both hands as she wrapped her arms around his neck and allowed her full weight to settle his cock deeply inside her heated walls. He felt himself shudder with the effort it took not to come right then and there. Feeling her warmth wrapped tightly around him banished any lingering memories of or longing for the former love of his life. He closed his eyes and reveled in the rightness of the feelings pouring through him.

Buffy sighed with relief when she once again felt him buried inside her. The sheer pleasure of feeling him filling her up temporarily made any other activity unnecessary. Tears prickled her eyes as she lost herself in the comfort of his presence. She wondered briefly if he could feel the love flooding her heart and if he could, what he would make of it.

As soon as Spike felt he had himself under control, he began rocking his hips against hers and setting up the friction he knew she was craving. In only a few seconds, she was gasping and panting as she clenched around him, a small orgasm ripping through her body. She felt him smiling against her mouth and she smiled back as she broke the kiss to murmur, “Pretty proud of yourself, huh?”

He laughed softly, releasing one hand from the ladder to hold her hips in place while he pushed into her.

“Do you always cum that easily, luv?” he asked. Her quick response had both thrilled and surprised him.

“I do for you,” she answered, suddenly embarrassed and shy, remembering that to this Spike she was not the familiar lover that her Spike had brought to ecstasy over and over again, but, in many ways, a complete stranger.

Spike almost choked as he found himself suddenly incredibly grateful to his other self for causing this amazing woman to fall in love with him.

(Don’ know what I did, or why I did it, but I’d do it again in a minute jus’ to have her here makin’ those sounds and movin’ around me like this.)

Without the use of his hands to guide her hips, Spike was dependent on her Slayer muscles to help her move up and down on him. As her pace increased and he felt his release approaching, he slid back into vamp face so as to be able to watch her face.

“Come with me, love,” he begged, twisting his hips to nudge the spot inside that was making her gasp and whimper. “Come on, Slayer, come with me…Buffy!”

When he cried out her name as he jerked his hips and spurted into her, she clenched around him and sobbed into his neck, murmuring, “Spike, Spike, Spike.”

For seconds, the only thing preventing them from falling off the ladder and into the filth below was the arm Spike had threaded through the railing. Their bodies were limp; Buffy’s being held up by the vampire’s other arm as she continued to cry into his neck. Spike’s legs were so weak, he could barely maintain his balance on the thin ladder.

As he got his equilibrium back, he realized that the Slayer was still crying and he pushed her away gently so that he could see her face.

“Got say, pet, all this cryin’ isn’t doin’ a whole lot for my ego. Want to let a bloke in on what’s wrong?”

“No…nothing…” she sobbed. “I’m just ha… happy.”

“Oh,” he waited for a few seconds, then pulled her close again. “Think you could find some other way to show it, love? I can’t really say I fancy making you cry – and seems like I’ve done nothing but since I got here.”

“I’m okay,” she said, letting out a deep, shuddering breath. “I’m sorry. I’m not always this emotional. I promise.”

“ ‘S alright, pet. Have to say I was pretty gobsmacked by that too.” He ran his tongue over the marks on her neck again, causing them both to catch their breath. “I can’t even imagine what we’d be like together with some privacy and a real bed.”

“You have no idea, vampire,” she growled, grabbing his shoulder in her blunt little teeth and biting just hard enough to get his attention. “No idea at all.”