Thank you to everyone who reviewed, it's much appreciated.

Chapter 4

After they'd had their fill of each other (for the time being), Spike and Buffy retreated back to the cell they'd been sharing. After some searching, Spike found dry wood to start a fire in the stove at the corner of the room. It was old, but the flute was clean so as not to fill the room with smoke. Buffy lay on the bed dressed in a new pair of jeans and a heavy knit sweater. He'd brought her socks and shoes, but she went without them for now, curled up under his duster. She'd already polished off the energy bars he'd brought with him, but her appetite remained and his was growing after the nourishment from the blood that had gone through his system. At the least there was a cache of rice and other grains they could prepare. They'd find real food once they returned to civilization.

"So there's really no plastic anymore?" Buffy asked, watching Spike stoke the fire to a healthy roar.

"Well, not exactly. They use it for some things that really can't be anything but plastic, but yeah, for the most part there's no more plastic. I mean, it's there, tonnes of recycled...whatever. Suffice to say, everything's back to how it should be. All natural. Metal, stone, glass and wood. You'd be surprised how clean everything is too."

"What's the world really like?"

"Star Trek, love." He smiled and she pouted.

"Don't tease me!"

"I'm not! I swear. Sort of. You'll just have to see it for yourself." She nodded, but he noticed she was chewing nervously on her bottom lip. He came over and lay himself down on the bed and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "It won't be all that bad. I promise. The world's a lot simpler. People work because they want to and not because they have to. Everyone contributes. There's no hunger, not much war to speak of. Things are rather boring actually."

"What about demons? The apocalypses."

"Well, love, the big one's come and gone, see." Her brow furrowed, confusion setting in. Spike lay back and brought her to him, cuddling her close. "After I came back, I got in with Angel and his lot. Long story made short, he had the stones to take on the source of the evil on Earth. We won." Buffy lay back on the bed for a moment, trying to grasp the concept that she was truly free of her duty as Slayer.

"I don't know what to do with my life," she sighed. Spike smiled at that, laying his head next to hers.

"If it's any consolation, I don't have a bloody clue either." He nudged her nose with his, still smiling."Know what I'm gonna do?"

"What's that?"

"First, I'm going to take you home. I've got a loft in London. It's not particularly quiet, but it's got a nice garden on the balcony. It's quite big, quite posh. After you've had a chance to get your bearings, we'll start to look for somewhere new for us to live. Somewhere that's in your truest, most heartfelt dreams. Somewhere we can begin a again. Then you know what I'm going to do?"

Buffy giggled, appreciating his infectious optimism. "What are you going to do?"

He lay his hand on her hip and tugged her towards him. There was a glint of mischief in his eye that was irresistible.

"Get you all fat with babies."

She blushed from head to toe. "Okay."

"Well, you're bloody easy, aren't you?" With what she sure was a growl he moved over her, pinned her beneath his body and thoroughly kissed her.

"It's easy when it's you." She replayed the statement over again in her mind. Nothing with Spike had ever been easy. But suddenly it was. The epiphany left her feeling light, clean and free. She started with a small giggle that soon turned to riotous laughter. The vampire was utterly confused, but soon enough the pair were rolling around on the bed and getting tangled in the blankets.

When they stopped, both panting from the exertion with bright smiles illuminating their faces, their eyes locked. Delight gave way to passion with an ever-increasing joy at being together again. Spike and Buffy, always meant to be.



Epilogue

The old tree groaned as its fibers and bark separated itself to allow the mortals to pass through into the outside world. For the boy, it was the first time he'd smelled the air of the Otherworld or seen its trees. Under the full moon it didn't appear too different than the realm he'd just vacated. The energies were different however and once free of the old oak's protection he knelt down and pressed his hand to the earth. There were opposing forces coursing through this new world - good and evil fighting for dominance, but for the most part evenly balanced. It wasn't something he was used to, feeling the negativity in tangible form. It was something he knew of, surely, but not something he'd experienced.

He knew his situation was about to change. But it was unavoidable and furthermore, he was seeking it. He'd been taught all the knowledge of the Elders and consumed it as wine, his thirst never-ending. He was practiced and trained by his guardian and her sisters. And lastly he'd bested the finest warriors of the realm. He was the golden champion of what his guardian insisted was the actual Otherworld. This new place that he'd only heard tales of was drastically different and it terrified him. But he was also brave and had the confidence that he could complete his quest. With a leather satchel on his back and a long coat also of leather on his shoulders, he stuck out his chest and prepared to take the first step of his journey.

He turned back to his guardian and welcomed her encouraging smile. She stepped out of the tree and into his arms to bid him a final farewell, sensing that she may never lay eyes upon the boy she'd raised since he was only three months old. Her part in his life hadn't been solitary. He'd been raised by the entire court and the surrounding settlements. Everyone knew his name, where he'd come from and what his destiny was. He'd known since he could speak. And after so many years he couldn't avoid the inevitable. The time was now.

For all of his seventeen years, his Aunty Willow had been a stunning redhead with bright, wise eyes and a soft laugh that made him feel safe. Like all the ladies in his home, she dressed in layered robes adorned with knotwork brocades. But often his guardian wore a dagger, which she'd bequeathed to him before they'd left their land to travel past the Deeper Well and to this world. When he drew back from her embrace he gasped at what he saw. Gone was the fiery woman that had been like a mother to him and now before him was an elderly, frail woman with hair a stark white.

"Dear Goddess, Aunty Willow! What's happened to you?" he cried. She touched his cheek with her bony, wrinkled hand and smiled.

"Just showing my true age, William," was her reply. "Don't worry about me, I'm not going to die. Each of us must pass through the phases of life. The Goddess graced me with youth so long as I needed it, but now that you're leaving us, I can become my true self. I was an old soul before you were born, now I just look it. You have a long journey ahead of you and many battles to fight and you're ready, sweet child."

"I'm ready. I know I am. But I still fear this new world."

"All heroes have their moments of doubt, but the true courage is continuing to try despite all odds."

"And what of me? Will I age now too?"

"Yes, but in the normal course of life. Centuries have passed since you were last in the world. It has no doubt changed beyond my own recognition, but some things will never change. Good must always be ready to fight evil. The Immortal must be stopped; he's gone unchecked for too long. Now that your parents are reunited they will seek to destroy him for the loss of their child. If you don't find them before they confront him, you'll lose them without ever having the chance to know them - and feel their love for you."

"The seers told you this? That they'll die?"

"Yes. William you have to find your parents, and quickly."

"How? I don't even know where to start!"

"Follow your soul's cry; follow your senses. You've inherited your father's traits; his blood can call to yours if you seek deep enough inside yourself. William, have you already forgotten everything you've been taught? A simple tracking spell should give you a destination." She gave her head a bit of a shake. Already she was beginning to use the tones and speech patterns of the Elders. She was realized how far away she was from the redhead from Sunnydale she truly was. It was the way of things when one had spent too long on the other side where all ways were old ways.

"But shouldn't I have one of their possessions for it to work?"

"You're their son." Her smile was that of an old woman's, loving and indulgent. "A drop of your blood is all that is needed. Don't be frustrated with yourself. You've entered a strange new world, it'll take time to adjust. Once you've found your parents, everything will be clear. You're the spitting image of your father you know? You'll know when you've found him. It'll be like looking into a mirror. And your mother - I should warn you - there'll be a lot of tears. Like, an insane amount! And she'll want to cuddle you until you're about ready to heave, but let her, okay? She loved you with her whole soul and losing you was the worst trauma anyone could've ever experienced. You're her baby, William. You're dad's another story - he'll probably cry too, but then he'll curse, say bloody hell and then ask if you want to go for a drink or beat something up."

"He sounds a bit uncouth."

"He's a champion, like you. Just a little rough around the edges is all. He's got a good heart. A good heart. He's a man you'll be proud to call father."

"And he's a vampire."

"Yep! And kinda sexy, too."

"Aunty Willow! What would Aunty Róisín say?"

"Don't tell her, 'k?" With a sad smile Willow fastened his coat. The leather was brown instead of black, and in a different style as well as longer, but all in all she was reminded of Spike. "Tell Buffy that I'm sorry and that I was only doing my best and what we all thought was right, especially Giles. I hope she can forgive me. Promise?"

"I promise."

"Got your stake?"

"Two of them. And the dagger, and the pendant and the ax!" To demonstrate he showed her his back and the weapon strapped to it.

"Technically, it's a scythe."

William arched his eyebrow. "Looks like an ax. Feels like an ax. It's an ax."

"Whatever." She sighed and looked up at the sky. "The longest journey is the one that never gets started." The witch cupped William's face in her hands and brought his head down to bestow a kiss on his forehead. "Be watchful, be kind, be strong and most importantly, just be William."

"Yes, Aunty. Thank you. I love you."

"Love you too."

"Goodbye Aunty."

William did not look back as he strode forth into the forest. Now was the time for courage and to prove his worth as a warrior. He'd never had a moment of loneliness or ever felt unloved, and his Aunty Willow was the closest he'd know to a mother, but he'd never had a family of his own. And if he had anything to do with it, that was all about to change.

The End...for now