They were sitting in a cozy little coffee house across the street from the bronze. Each one as nervous as the other. But of them could feel a certain pull towards the other and neither knew what to make of it.
“Can I asked why you moved here?” Buffy asked while stirring her ice cap.

He took a deep breath. He hadn’t talked to anyone about his mother and Dru’s death and he was certainly not going to start with someone he barely knew.

“Look pet it’s a little personal.”

He looked into her eyes then noting the quick flash of hurt that was swiftly replaced by understanding. Bugger this. I’ll let her in. Maybe then she’ll pity me and never talk to me again and I won’t feel so bad about liking her…which I don’t. This last thought caused him to frown and he noticed that the second he did Buffy had reached out and given his hand a gentle squeeze, not letting it go. It was a sweet gesture, not a flirtatious one.
He replaced the frown with a soft smile and began.

“I met Dru in my junior year. Cecily had just ripped out my heart and I’d gone crazy. Started doing drugs, smoking, drinking. I couldn’t get her out of my head. Then one day a new girl comes into the class, sits down next to me and smiles. She had such a beautiful smile.” He said wistfully, a faraway look in his eyes. “And that was that. I was loves bitch. I gave up every bad habit I had, except for the smoking.”

This last comment was said with a wink to Buffy as he lit one up.

“We were together for 5 years. Me and my Da’ were wating at the restaurant he had proposed to my mum’ in.”

He stopped for a moment, steadying his breath. “My mum was driving with Dru to meet us so that I could propose to her.” He hadn’t looked Buffy in the eyes since he’d started talking but he did now. He had to see what her reaction would be. Expecting to see her shocked or mocking him to have thought about getting married at such a young age he gasped when he looked into her green orbs. Is that jealousy there? He let himself have a quick mental smirk that never showed up on his face. He didn’t want her to think that the next part was going to be funny.

“Anyway the roads were worse then usual and a truck went out of control.”

Oh god no! Buffy cried silently to herself, tears coming to her eyes as she began to piece together why his mother wasn’t here.

“It hit my mum’s side of the car. She died instantly.” This last part was whispered, as if saying it low made it more true to him. “Dru was in critical condition, she’d always been frail. Both physically and mentally. She passed away a day after my mum did. She looked happy though, said she saw angels and my mum.” He decided to keep the fact that she had also told him and his Da’ that they would find their light. He still didn’t know what it meant and he wanted to keep it for himself, for himself and for Dru.

Spike expected her to drown him in “I’m sorry’s” and “I don’t know what to say’s” and was blown away when he looked at her.

She had just finished brushing the tears off of her face when she saw him staring. He had his head tilted in that adorable way again. Giving his hand another squeeze she began.

“I’m not gonna say I’m sorry for you Spike, although I will say I’m sorry that life can be so cruel. I think you had a chance at love that many people only dream of.”

He noticed the look of longing on her face but held his tongue as she went on.

“And that you didn’t run from that love and embraced it so willingly instead, tells me how incredibly special Dru must have felt every day. How lucky she was to pass away knowing that someone had seen the good and the bad of her and loved her all the more for it.”

“Buffy…” he began but she put a finger to his lip to silence him and continued.

“You’re mother obviously loved you and your father beyond words and vice-versa. It shows in your eyes when you talk about her. It was her time Spike, everbody has their day. But not everybody can leave this world knowing they were cherished, knowing that what they did with their life has changed the world. She did though Spike. You are the gift that your mother left to the world when she had to leave it and you will do great things. I don’t know why I’m saying all this, I barely know you, but I know that I’m right. And I know it must have been hard for you to tell me what happened because you barely know me……but I can’t tell you I’m sorry because….” She bit her lip before blurting out “because I’m glad you’re here.”

She tore her hand away from his and left the coffee shop in tears leaving a confused Spike behind. God he must fucking hate me. I just basically told him I’m not sorry his loved one’s died because I got to meet him. I’m such a selfish bitch. He’s never going to talk to me again. I didn’t mean it the way it must have sounded I just meant…

She didn’t even have time to finish the thought as she was tackled to the ground seconds before a car hit her. Closing her eyes she pulled the damsel in distress and fainted.

We’re gonna have to stop meeting like this Spike thought .His body was shaking as he lifted her up into his arms to carry her home again for the second time this week, noticing the angry bruise that covered most of her left leg. She's gonna be off that leg for awhile!!!

*please review*
Thank you to everyone who did, you know who you are and it's really appreciated. I was gonna dump this story but you guys changed my mind!!!