Chapter 10 – Beautiful Mistakes


“Are you leaving, Buffy?” Willow asked as Buffy was walking out the door with her overnight bag in her hand.

“Yeah,” she replied, giving the older woman a warm smile. “I’ll be back in the morning.”

“Okay, sweetie. Have a good time,” Willow said, walking toward the kitchen before snapping her fingers and turning back to face Buffy. “I almost forgot to tell you- your dad is coming to town.”

“D-dad?” Buffy asked nervously. “Why?”

“He just wants to check up on you,” she replied warmly. “Have a good time.”

Walking out the door to meet her friends at the Bronze, Buffy felt short of breath. ‘What if I’m in trouble?’ she thought, her footsteps dragging as she walked. ‘What if he heard about how I’m acting now and decided to come for a visit and actually play the role of father for a change?’

Veering off in the direction of the cemetery, she couldn’t deny the sudden urge to see Spike. Maybe things had changed between them, but he was still the person she counted on.

He was still the one she trusted above all others.

Making her way through the graveyard a few minutes later, Buffy took a deep breath when she reached Spike’s crypt. Hesitantly running her hand over the smooth door, she bit her lip as she quietly pushed it open. Shutting it behind her and dropping her bag at her feet, she searched the interior.

Lit with only a few sparse candles that cast an eerie glow over the open area, Buffy slowly walked through the crypt.

“Spike?” she called softly, wandering toward the opening to the lower level and slowly descending it. “Spike, are you here?”

Jumping the few remaining steps, Buffy gazed around the room, seeing the slightly rumpled bed, but no Spike.

“Guess that’s a no, then,” she murmured, looking around one more time before hesitantly curling up on the bed.

* * * * *

Letting the door shut behind him, Spike froze when he felt the familiar presence practically assault his senses.

“Buffy?” he said softly, walking a little further into the crypt and seeing the overnight bag at his feet.

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, Spike followed her scent toward the ladder and easily scaled it, turning around when his feet connected with the hard ground. He let a smile play on his lips when he saw her sound asleep in his bed, looking so innocent with one hand curled beneath her cheek. The smile slowly faded as he realized how this situation could turn bad very quickly.

So far, he had managed to ignore any growing feelings or…desires that he had for the young woman in his bed. Letting her spend the night in the crypt would be a good way to throw all that out the window without thinking.

“Buffy,” he whispered, putting one knee on the bed and gently shaking her shoulder to wake her up. “Rise and shine, Goldilocks,” he murmured, leaning over further to whisper into her ear.

Unable to fully realize what was happening, Spike jumped when he suddenly felt her warm lips pressed against his. Letting his brain go on autopilot, he eagerly returned the kiss, wrapping his arms around her small body and closing his eyes at the feel of her pressed against him.

Slowly pulling herself out of her dream about kissing Spike, Buffy’s eyes nearly snapped open as the dream faded, but the memory of his lips against hers didn’t. Gasping into his mouth, her heart sped up when she felt his tongue gently brush against hers, moaning when his hand settled on the curve of her hip.

Not knowing what was happening, and not caring, Buffy let her hands trail along his strong arms, up his shoulders to gently twine through his hair, pulling him closer to her as her tongue massaged his.

She could feel the evidence of his arousal for her, pressed against her stomach, and another thrill rushed through her as she pushed against him, smiling against his lips when she heard his lust-filled groan.

Slowly realizing what was happening- what he had let happen- Spike hesitantly pulled away. Seeing the need in her eyes, he pressed another chaste kiss to her lips before pulling away completely.

Gaining some clarity with the distance, Spike sat up and nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“You’re…of course you are,” Buffy muttered, sitting up and moving to stand.

“Where are you going?” Spike asked, looking over at her and seeing the pain in her eyes. “Hey,” he murmured, reaching out for her and was mildly surprised when she flinched and pulled away, not letting him get close to her. “What is it?”

“What is it?” she repeated, looking at him as if he’d lost his mind. “I wake up to find you kissing me and then-”

“You kissed me first,” he interrupted.

“I was asleep. It’s not my fault that I was dreaming…”

Biting her lip as she trailed off, Buffy could already see the look of pride wash over Spike’s features.

“You were dreaming about me?” he asked, his head tilted as a slight smile played on his lips.

“It doesn’t matter,” she mumbled, standing up and heading for the ladder, only to be suddenly blocked by the vampire.

“I’m sorry I hurt you,” he whispered with obvious sincerity.

“It doesn’t matter,” she repeated. “I was stupid to think that…”

“That what?” he asked, trying to unsuccessfully erase the memory of her soft lips against his.

Nervously tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, Buffy sighed. “I was stupid to think that you would want me like that.”

“Buffy-”

“Please don’t give me some more sugar-coated half-truths,” she said, looking into his eyes.

“Wasn’t going to,” he replied, his head tilted as he studied her. “I was going to tell you that you are one of the most beautiful young women I’ve ever been in contact with and if things were different…”

“Beautiful?” she asked with a soft smile.

“You know you are,” Spike said with an answering grin.

“And young,” Buffy continued with a sigh, letting her smile fade and seeing the serious look in his eyes.

“Well, you are young, pet,” he said softly, moving to block her exit once again as she tried to get around him. “If things were different…”

“If things were different,” she repeated, looking up at the ceiling to try and blink away the tears that were forming. “You know how many times a day that thought goes through my head? If I wasn’t young, if I wasn’t Angel’s daughter, if you didn’t…if you didn’t treat me like your own daughter,” she finished in a whisper, glancing at the floor with a soft pout playing on her bottom lip.

“You’re not,” he growled, trying not to let the simple statement lead to more disturbing thoughts.

“Yeah,” she muttered, pushing past him and climbing the ladder. “Keep telling yourself that.”

Walking through the crypt and grabbing her bag before she reached the door, Buffy jumped when Spike was, once again, in front of her.

“Bell…neck…look into it.”

“Come with a nice leather…”

Spike trailed off, not wanting to finish that sentence and leading to even more bad- or maybe good- thoughts about the woman in front of him.

“I’m going home,” she said, using her forearm to push against his chest, only mildly surprised when she found herself spun around to face the back of the crypt instead of the door.

“Why are you here?”

“Does it matter?” she asked with a raised eyebrow, turning to face him once again.

“Considering you packed a bag and look like you’re wanting to stay the night, thinking it does, pet.”

“I was going to stay with a friend,” she said softly. “Willow told me something and I…I just didn’t feel like I was in the partying mood anymore.”

“What’d Red say?” he asked, his mind reeling against the idea of asking her to stay the rest of the night.

“That my dad is coming to town.”

“Bloody hell,” he muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Just priceless. Peaches decides to pay a visit right after I nearly take advantage-”

“First of all,” Buffy said angrily. “You weren’t exactly ‘taking advantage’. Secondly- what makes you think that I would tell him what happened anyway?” she asked, feeling like turning the tables on him for a change. “It was a mistake, remember? Anything that happens between us lately is a mistake.”

“That’s not true,” he said, shaking his head.

“It’s not?” she replied skeptically before shaking her head and walking past him. “Forget it. I have to go.”

“Stay,” he whispered, barely turning his head as he listened to her footsteps come to a stop behind him.

“What?” she asked in a soft whisper.

“Stay,” he repeated. “Just…don’t leave. I don’t want anything to happen…” Liar “…just stay.”

“Why?”

Turning around to face her, Spike sighed. “I want to make sure you’re safe…and I can’t let you leave like this.”



Thanks so much to: starhawk, anon, blondiebear, Kimber, Scarlet, Cordykitten, Ebontier, Charlene, Tasha, gypsy_jin, Brunettepet, beverly, Jessiesaly, Caitie, willowmouse, BuffyandSpikeForever, stace, pj, Jessica, Spikes Sweety, Jade2099, dreamgirl4eva, BuffyRat, shelly, Amanda, phantomwriter, Laine, Alicia & sandradee for reviewing!!