Chapter 28 – Running Scared


Biting her lip as she walked into Spike’s crypt a few days later, Buffy resisted the urge to wring her hands together, wanting to do what she could to maintain a level of calmness about the upcoming conversation. An inevitable conversation that she didn’t want to have.

“Evenin’, pet,” Spike said from the shadows, causing Buffy to jump as she spun around to face him.

Seeing the carefully arched brow and confused expression as he shut the door of the refrigerator, she felt like smacking herself for her strange case of nerves.

“Hi,” she said with a soft smile, feeling a thrill rush through her when he slowly stalked toward her. Coming to a stop in front of her, his expressive eyes seemed to search her face, looking for an answer to a question that hadn’t been asked. He could feel the heat radiating from her body and her pulse was jumping to a nervous beat beneath her skin.

“Out with it.”

“Wh-what?”

“You heard me,” Spike said, taking a step away from her and grabbing a bottle of tequila before turning his attention back to the small blonde.

“What makes you think I came here to…out something?”

Giving her a patented ‘Spike look’, he watched as Buffy’s eyes darted around the interior of the crypt before settling back on him. The nerves were practically radiating off of her.

“You’re right,” she said with a soft smile, trying to force herself to relax. This was Spike. No matter what she told him, he would never hurt her…physically. It was silly for her to be scared of him…she hoped.

“I’m leaving,” she whispered, nearly squeezing her eyes shut as she waited for the explosion.

The words were spoken so softly that after a moment, Buffy was beginning to wonder if he had actually heard her. Feeling her stomach clench when she noticed the flashes of yellow that were trying to make themselves known in his sapphire gaze, she resisted the urge to step away from him when he slowly looked away. Refusing to be intimidated by a man she trusted…even if the demon was lurking closer to the surface than she was used to, Buffy stood her ground.

Carefully setting down the glass bottle before he hurled it to shatter against the wall, Spike didn’t raise his eyes to hers. Unable to see his eyes anymore, the only indication that he had even heard her softly spoken words was the fact that his jaw tensed, tightening his neck and letting her know just what his rigid posture meant. It was his universal symbol of frustration.

“’S’that right?” he finally asked, not looking up at her.

“You knew I would be,” she whispered, gently touching her hand to his forearm and shrinking back when he angrily slapped it away, leaving a stinging sensation in her hand to match the burning in her eyes. Swallowing the lump in her throat as she took a step back, Buffy angrily blinked back the tears in her eyes. “If that’s the way you want to say goodbye…”

Trailing off as she walked toward the door, Buffy paused when she heard his soft-spoken voice behind her.

“Are you coming back?”

“I don’t think I’m really wanted here,” she murmured, not bothering to turn around and face him again.

“Why’s that?”

Pulling open the door, Buffy’s lips set in a firm line as she turned around to look at him, not bothering to give him a verbal answer as the pain in her hand began to subside, leaving it tinged pink from the slap she’d just received.

“I thought things were going to be different after the other night…I thought I could talk to you. And the moment that I tell you about a decision I’ve made, you react like…this,” she finished, gesturing toward him. “I thought things had changed,” she whispered in a choked voice, never looking away from him.

Seeing the vulnerability and anger swirling in her eyes, Spike had to fight the sudden arousal that threatened to overwhelm him as he stared at the fighter emerging from the woman he loved.

“And if I don’t want you to go?”

“I’m leaving, Spike,” she whispered in a tone that allowed no argument. “I’m sorry.”

“Where are you going?” he asked before she could turn and walk out the door. Out of his life.

“Los Angeles,” she said softly. “I figured I might as well visit my dad for a week before heading home.”

Hearing the word ‘home’, Spike felt rage begin to race through him.

And something inside of him snapped.

Gasping when she found herself pinned to a nearby wall, Buffy’s eyes widened when she saw the yellow gaze of Spike’s demon staring at her.

“Don’t,” she whispered, shaking her head as she tried to raise her shoulders and offer her neck some coverage from the bloodlust that was raging in his eyes.

Pinning her in place with one had wrapped around her throat, the other twined threw her hair, jerking her head to the side and further exposing the sensitive flesh.

“Spike,” she whispered, half in plea and half in protest as he lowered his head to inhale her scent. Clinging to the soft t-shirt that was molded to his body, she fought against the desire that rushed through her when she felt his tongue brush along her shoulder. Shivering when it ran up the line of her neck, Buffy gasped as he settled over his previous mark.

Sucking the tender flesh into his mouth, Spike could feel her trembling against him.

Memories assaulted both of them as they stood in the same place that Spike had taken her virginity over a year ago.

The demon screamed for a repeat performance of that night. To take her- make her his, once and for all.

Fighting everything in her body, she kept her feet firmly planted on the floor, wanting nothing more than to jump up and wrap her legs around his waist, letting him take care of the ache that was rapidly making itself known between her thighs.

Moving away from her before his teeth penetrated her skin, the demon stayed on the surface as he tilted his head to look at her.

“I need to go,” she whispered, silently willing her hands to let go of his shirt and push him away, needing to walk through that door and put some distance between herself and this place.

Gasping in surprise when she felt his mouth crushed against hers with surprising force, Buffy clutched at his shoulders as her lips and tongue were savaged by the demon inside of him.

Tasting the blood that was slipping from the small scratches that his fangs were making on the inside of her bottom lip, Spike nearly snarled with the need to fully taste her again.

Grasping her shoulders and pushing her into the wall, Buffy felt a mild sense of panic fill her when she saw him pull away with the intent clear in his eyes.

Cringing as she waited for his fangs to sink into her throat, her entire body tensed in preparation.

Feeling the pliable, willing body in his arms turn rigid in anticipation as the scent of fear hung in the air, Spike battled his demon for dominance, barely able to control himself from plunging his fangs into her neck.

‘No,’ he thought, shaking his head to clear it. ‘You’re not doing this to her again. Next time will be because she wants it and not because you can’t control yourself. You’re not going to make her afraid of you.’

Sensing the change in his mood, Buffy slowly turned to face him with apprehension in her eyes. Seeing the yellow eyes melt away to reveal his comforting blue gaze, she let her shoulders sag in relief.

Running his fingertips over the scar that still resided on her neck, the scar that he’d put there three months ago, he watched as she briefly closed her eyes. Feeling the relief that passed through her, he waited until she reopened her eyes, looking directly at him.

“I’m coming with you.”

“You’re what?” she asked in disbelief.

“Coming with you,” he repeated with a shrug. “It’s about time I had a vacation.”

“Visiting my father is your idea of a vacation?”

“No,” he said, shaking his head and taking a step toward and tenderly running his fingertips along her cheek. “But I’m not passing up an opportunity to spend time with you. Not letting you leave me again, Goldilocks.”




Thanks so much to: daisy, spuffette, Ariel Dawn, Kimber, slinkyPK, Melissa, Amanda, Tasha, Brunettepet, starhawk, gypsy_jin, anne, willowmouse, Cordykitten, Jessica, Charlene, Panta_Rei, Caitie, stace, BuffyandSpikeForever, allspikeallthetime, Jen, shelly, BuffyRat, melissa g, Franchesca, Spikes Eternal Lover, Sevvy_O, & baby spikes for reviewing!