Chapter 29 – Unhappy Homecoming


“You know this isn’t going to be a happy homecoming, right?” Buffy asked, biting her lip as she stared at the imposing hotel, taking strength from the man standing beside her.

“Could be worse,” Spike replied, tilting his head toward her as he continued to stare at the building, half-expecting something to jump out at him while he stared at it with trepidation.

“How?” she asked, finally turning to look at him.

“I don’t know,” he said with a shrug, glancing over at her with a smile. “Isn’t that what people say in these situations?”

Giggling softly, Buffy swatted his shoulder, silently grateful that he had broken the tension that seemed to be between them since they left Sunnydale.

It hadn’t been an easy job, convincing Buffy that he make the trip to L.A., and now that they were finally here, he wanted nothing more than to take her to a remote hotel and not have to worry about facing the magnificent poof. Standing in front of the Hyperion, Spike stifled the urge to light a cigarette, closing his eyes and refusing to think of the calming effect the nicotine could have on him.

“Come on,” Buffy said with a heavy sigh, dreading what was beyond those doors when she walked in with the man Angel trusted and hated. Grabbing the sleeve of his duster and pulling him toward the main doors, she could feel Spike’s resistance as she walked toward the door. “Let’s get this over with.”

“Wonderful,” Spike muttered sarcastically.

“Hey,” she said, turning around with an indignant expression on her face, bordering on anger as her eyes narrowed. “You were the one who wanted to come with me! Don’t act all put out by the unsurprising turn of events that I wanted to see my father…he was the reason I made the trip in the first place, and if you don’t like it, you know how to get home-”

“Easy, luv,” he murmured, firmly gripping her shoulders and letting his hands gently massage them. “Just not that excited about seeing him, is all. Has nothing to do with you. I tagged along on this excursion because of you…and that’s why I’m staying.”

Feeling a blush creep into her cheeks, Buffy slowly pulled away from him and nodded, unsure of what he was actually hoping to get out of the situation.

“What do you want from me, Spike?” she whispered after a moment, looking up at him in confusion and innocence.

The world seemed to melt away as Spike got lost in her gaze. He couldn’t hear the cars whizzing by or the horns honking. All he saw was the expression that was so familiar and unfamiliar to him at the same time. This was the girl he remembered. The one who had turned his entire world upside down from the moment she’d entered it and continued to do so on a regular basis.

Resisting the urge to reach out and caress her cheek, Spike shoved his hands in his pockets. “Nothing you’re not willing to give,” he said softly, not wanting her to feel pressured.

“That’s not a lot,” she whispered. “Not yet.”

Offering her a tentative smile, he nodded. “I can live with that.”

With a heavy sigh, Buffy turned back to the hotel. “Let’s go.”

Smiling when Spike took her bag for her, she slowly walked toward the door, practically holding her breath as she opened it. Entering the Hyperion, she exhaled softly, looking around the unfamiliar interior that had such a strange familiarity to it. “Hello?”

“Buffy?”

Turning toward the voice, she smiled when she saw Cordelia behind the counter with a stunned expression that soon turned into a bright smile. Eagerly hurrying around the counter, she practically ran toward Buffy.

“What are you doing here?” Cordy asked, enveloping the younger woman in a warm hug.

“Just needed a change of pace, I guess,” Buffy replied. “I missed everyone.”

“You’re always welcome here,” Cordy said, pulling back to look at Buffy before seeing Spike standing behind her. “And you brought your own bodyguard,” she said, both girls giggling as they looked at Spike’s serious expression. “I’m impressed. That’s traveling in style. And look…he even carries your bags.”

Arching an eyebrow at the brunette, Spike’s body went even more rigid when he felt Angel’s presence.

“How’ve you been, Spike?” Cordy asked, noticing the look on his face as his eyes glanced at the upper level before turning his gaze to Buffy for brief a moment.

“Been alright,” he replied with a slow nod, hesitantly glancing at the blonde once again as he spoke.

‘Mental note,’ Cordelia thought to herself. ‘Keep an eye on these two. Definitely more than meets the eye.’

Giving Spike a smile, she turned toward the stairs where it was obvious Angel was lurking. “Are you going to come say hello to your daughter or are you going to stand up there like a lump?”

Slowly walking down the stairs, Angel glared at the woman he loved.

“What?” she asked in mock indignation. “You know that I always know when you’re around. Part demon, remember? Have been for eighteen years. And, as for these two,” she continued, gesturing to Spike and Buffy. “They already have the enhanced senses. I thought you were smarter than this.”

Offering him a bright smile when Angel shot her a withering gaze, which Cordelia eagerly ignored, she turned to face the young woman, nearly rolling her eyes when she heard Angel’s voice.

“And what are you doing here?” he asked, crossing his arms as he looked at Spike.

Shooting a quick look at Buffy, Spike saw the understanding expression on her face, putting him at ease before he answered. “Told you I’d watch after her, didn’t I? You expected me to let her make the trip from Sunnyhell to Hell on her own?”

Hearing the girls stifling their laughter at Angel’s darkened expression, Spike rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

“What did you expect? That I’ve fallen in love with your daughter and we came here to tell you that we’re living our happily ever after?”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she waited for Angel to respond, nearly fainting when she saw him smile.

“Yeah, now that you mention it, I shouldn’t have bothered asking.”

Clenching her jaw in frustration, Buffy looked at the ground, never noticing Cordelia watching her intently.

‘Am I not good enough for a vampire to fall in love with me? Is it such a ridiculous idea that Spike and I would be together? Or am I really just a possession to be protected?’

Studying the young blonde who was deep in thought, Cordelia slowly turned and walked toward Spike, taking a few of the bags from him. “I’ll show you where you’ll be staying.”

“Separate rooms,” Angel called after her as the two of them began to climb the stairs, leaving him alone with his daughter.

“What?” Cordy cried, spinning around and putting her free hand to her heart in fake astonishment. “I thought in a hotel with over two hundred rooms, you’d want your daughter staying with the hottie.”

Hearing the growl that erupted from Angel at the combined thoughts that his mate was looking at another man and the equally nauseating thought that his daughter might want Spike, he shuddered.

Cordelia repressed the smirk at his reaction but couldn’t help to notice that Buffy’s face immediately flushed a bright shade of red. Something that went unnoticed by Angel. ‘Yep,’ she thought, trying hard not to shake her head and smile at how obvious the two of them were and how clueless Angel was. ‘Definitely something going on.’

“Come on, Spike,” Cordy said, turning and continuing up the stairs. “Maybe we can fit in a quickie before they finish talking,” she said in a mock whisper.

“I heard that,” Angel said in a low voice.

“Isn’t it fun getting him all riled up?” she asked the blonde as they got to the second level.

Spike chuckled, finally loosening the grip on the bag he was holding as he relaxed, remembering that this was the normal Cordelia. “That it is, pet. Always been one of my favorite pastimes.”

* * * * *

“How’ve you been?” Angel asked, looking at Buffy and seeing an unreadable expression on her face. ‘Was she always this small?’ he wondered, noticing that she looked more rundown than usual.

“I’m okay,” she replied with a slight nod, feeling a little uneasy with the situation.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, crossing his arms over his chest and trying to keep any accusation out of his voice.

“The, uh…the Slayer…she died. I came back for the funeral.”

“I’m sorry,” Angel said with genuine honesty. “But that still doesn’t tell me what you’re doing here in Los Angeles.”

“Just missed you, I guess,” Buffy muttered, looking at the floor, wishing that she hadn’t made the decision to come here. ‘Of course he wouldn’t be happy to see me. I’m a liability when I’m close to him.’

Seeing the indecision on her face, Angel took a few steps forward, wrapping his arms around his daughter and pulling her close for a warm hug. “I’m glad you’re here.”

Closing her eyes, Buffy fought the tears that were trying to make themselves known. This was what she had wanted for years. The familiar connection to someone who loved her.

And now that she finally had what she wanted, why was she wishing for the embrace to be different? Why was she wishing for a different man to be holding her?






Thanks so much to: Kimber, blondiebear, spufette, Caitie, Cordykitten, stace, Reciprocity, daisy, tina, Jessica, pj, Spikes Eternal Lover, gypsy_jin, Sevvy_O, Brunettepet, baby spikes, Franchesca, BuffyRat, willowmouse, Amanda, Crystal Pegasus, Anne, BuffyandSpikeForever, melissa g, Tasha, Panta_Rei, Lily Constancy, shelly, Mariana, phantomwriter, Melissa, starhawk & Ariel Dawn for reviewing!




Just a little note to let everyone know that pj, Allison and I have started an awards site for Spuffy fics. Nominations have just begun, so please swing by the site and nominate all of your favorite fics :-) http://www.livejournal.com/community/_fool_for_love_/