A/N I should have put this note on the last chapter, but rest-assured, there will be no Spike/Other in this fic. That doesn’t mean that Buffy won’t feel threatened by who she thinks is a potential rival, but know that there will not be so much as a kiss between Spike and the new Slayer. But (again) Buffy doesn’t know this. Thanks for reading!




Chapter 5 – What’s it Take?


Letting her hips undulate with the beat of the music, Buffy finally allowed herself to relax, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder and feeling the music wash over her.

After she had cleaned out her room, she had proceeded to change into a halter top and a pair of leather pants, slipping out of the house before Willow and Tara had returned from the Scooby meeting.

Now that she was at the Bronze, she let all of the stress fall away, ridding her mind of Spike, of the new Slayer, and most of all, being called a ‘kid’ over and over again. Feeling a pair of hands settle on her hips, Buffy resisted her normal urge of brushing away the pursuer and instead turned around, offering a smile to the college guy behind her.

Raising her arms above her head, she tossed him a flirty smile, enjoying the rare chance that she had to be a girl and not have to worry about vampires or Hellmouths.

‘Considering they treat me like a kid most of the time, you’d think they would have kept a portion of purity intact instead of letting me grow up to know the ways of the world.’

Even as the thought flitted through her head, Buffy knew she was being petty and selfish. She was the child of two vampires- chances are she would have figured it out on her own, and then she would be mad that they didn’t trust her enough to tell her.

Clearing her mind of all serious thoughts, Buffy wrapped her arms around the frat boy’s neck and gave him a coy smile as she teasingly moved her hips against his. Arching an eyebrow in his direction, she swallowed a gasp when she felt her arm seized in a harsh grip, barely comprehending what was happening as she was dragged through the club.

Finally getting her bearings, Buffy jerked her arm out of the bruising hold just before they reached the door, looking at Spike with an angry gaze. “What the hell are you doing?” she asked through clenched teeth.

“What the hell am I doing?!” Spike repeated, staring at her as if she’d gone insane. “What the bloody hell are you doing here?”

“Free country,” Buffy muttered, turning back to the dance floor and groaning when she was once again grabbed and pulled out the door.

“Do Willow and Tara know you’re here?” Spike asked after the door slammed shut behind them, leaving them to talk in private.

“No, Dad,” she said through clenched teeth.

Don’t call me that,” he growled.

“Why not?” Buffy asked, crossing her arms over her chest and tilting her head to look at him. “You’re constantly insisting that I’m a kid, you’re always checking up on me when Willow tells you to, and you think that I can’t take care of myself. Can you think of a better adjective to use?”

“Don’t,” he repeated. “I’m taking you home.”

“No, you’re not,” she replied with a raised eyebrow. “I’m a big girl and I’m doing what I want. I don’t go around asking you what you’re doing here- maybe I should, and then you’ll know how annoying it is- what are you doing here, Spike?”

“I was showing Aubrey around,” he muttered, watching as Buffy’s eyes hardened even more.

“Well, what do you know,” she replied in a condescending voice. “I’m too young to be out, but the new girl isn’t.”

“It’s not like that, Buffy.”

“What do you care?” she asked, turning away from him and walking toward the end of the alley.

“Where are you going?” Spike called after her, quickly catching up to her.

“I’m going home. That’s what you wanted, right? To get all tucked safe and sound into bed? Or should I just go find the guy I was dancing with?”

“You’re not going back to find that wanker,” he said in a low voice.

“God, you’re such a hypocrite,” she cried, throwing her arms up in the air. “Maybe you should just dictate my life from now on- would that make you happy?”

“No, and…what the hell are you wearing?!” Spike yelled, pulling her into the dim light that was spilling into the alley from the street.

“See what I mean? The world’s number one hypocrite, ladies and gentleman,” Buffy said, gesturing angrily toward him as if she was talking to a crowd. “How many girls my age have you checked out when they’ve been dressed like this, and yet somehow I’m different?”

“Yes,” he said in a menacing tone.

“Why? Because you know me?” she asked before a slow smile spread on her lips. Taking a step closer to him, she widened her eyes, giving herself a more innocent appearance. “What’s the matter, Spike?” she asked in a whisper, walking toward him until he was pressed against the wall, his head tilted to study her. “Did you finally notice I’ve grown up?”

“What are you doing, Buffy?”

“What does it look like?” she asked with a naïve expression. “Don’t like the idea that you’re thinking about me differently?”

“How do you know my thoughts have changed?” he asked in a voice that didn’t sound like his own.

“Maybe they haven’t,” Buffy said with a shrug. “Maybe your feelings for me haven’t changed at all…but I have.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means, what I’m saying,” she replied with a sigh, glancing toward the closed door of the club. “Don’t you have a date waiting?”

“No,” Spike said, his brows knit together in confusion. “I don’t.”

“Well, whatever you consider the Slayer to be,” she said, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear before turning away from him.

“Buffy,” he called after her, waiting until she turned around before speaking. “What’s happening, pet?”

“Don’t you get it?” she asked in an exasperated voice. “Are you so blind that you can’t even see what’s right in front of your face? I’m growing up, Spike. Whether you and everyone else like it or not, it’s going to happen. So get your head out of your ass and notice already,” she cried before turning around and disappearing around the corner, leaving a stunned vampire in her wake.

Walking for a block, Buffy finally let the trembling take over as she realized what she’d just said. She knew that Spike would rationalize what she’d said- he’d think that she wanted him to notice that she was growing up instead of actually noticing her.

Running her shaky hands through her hair, Buffy sighed. “What’s it take?”



Thanks so much to: Caatje, TammyAsh666, scarlet, Cordykitten, cynthia, spuffette, Alicia, shippy, starhawk, Kimber, Caitie, gypsy_jin, aerialla, Laine, Elanor, willowmouse, Erin, bex makes u fly, BuffyandSpikeForever, blondiebear, Livia, Amanda, Spikes Sweety, Rana, phantomwriter, Juanita, Tasha, dreamgirl4eva & shelly for reviewing!!