The back alley of the Bronze was the pit of Sunnydale. It was grungy and it stunk. But it was quiet. And It was empty. And it felt safe. Buffy was hiding out. She had a dilemma. She couldn’t leave, Faith was her ride and she hadn’t even wished the birthday girl a happy birthday yet. She couldn’t go back in. A few people had seen her get hit, she didn’t know if she knew them but it didn’t matter. Now people knew. It was no longer her dirty little secret.


From beside the alley garbage dumpster Buffy heard the back entrance to the Bronze open. She had hidden herself so that if someone were to look out the door they wouldn’t be able to see her.

“ ’Ello? Is anybody out here?” Buffy recognized that voice! Who was that?

“Come on out there girly -girl” Where had she heard that voice before? She heard the strange footfalls getting closer.

“Here, kitty, kitty, kitty. I know your out here. Saw you leave. You looked a little upset, just wanted to see if you were okay or not.” School! That’s it! Umm….Detention? Yeah that had to be it. And his name was….

“William.”

Spike spun around at the sound of his name. He had been heading back into the Bronze sure that he had missed her and she had ran home. The small breathy voice had come from behind the dumpster.

Buffy slapped her hand across her mouth. She hadn’t meant to speak out loud. It just slipped out. She slid farther behind the dumpster praying he wouldn’t find her or wouldn‘t care enough to look. She didn’t want him to see her like this. He was nice, he didn’t need to know how very messed up she was.

She cleared her throat. “Go away, please.” Dammit! Her voice was still hoarse from crying. It hurt to talk. Then his head came into view.

“Cant do that pet.” Spike crouched down to her level to see she was curled up into a tight ball. His voice was so gentle, maybe even caring, that it made Buffy angry. She didn’t want his pity.

“What do you want?”

Spike sighed and sat down next to her. She pulled herself farther away, deeper behind the garbage dumpster.

“I saw what happened in there.” Buffy turned her head to glare at him. Spike was shocked. He hadn’t done anything wrong, her little boyfriend had.

“So what? You came out here to take a peek at the damage? Decided you wanted to see what a weak little girls I am? You really are an ass!”

“Wha…No! that’s…what?” Spike stuttered out in his confusion. He didn’t understand what was going on. He missed how she got mad at him.

Buffy stood and stepped over Spike. She looked down on to this guy she just met for the second time.

“What ever you think happened,” Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breathe to gather herself. “What every you think you saw, didn’t happen. You didn’t see anything.” She opened her eyes to stare into his.

He looked straight back into hers.

“Promise me!” Buffy wanted to shout but the words came out as a harsh whisper.

“Yeah okay. I promise.” Buffy smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes.

“Thanks.”

With that Buffy took off at high speed down the alley. Spike looked around not sure what to do. Should he follow her? Well, he had already tried that one and that didn’t work so…..Spike looked around once more be for he turned and walked towards his car.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The Next Day

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Willow walked up the walk to Buffys house and straight in without knocking.

She passed by both Faith and Joyce at the breakfast table without so much as a hello.

She marched up the stairs with a determined look stuck on her face.

She yanked Buffys bedroom door open with such force Joyce jumped in her seat.

She pulled down Buffys blankets and grabbed her by the shoulders and shook for all she was worth.

“Where the hell were you last night? What was So important you couldn’t even get yourself to my birthday?” Willow shouting at a newly awakened Buffy.

“Whoa! Will…wait Will…Will STOP!” Buffy ripped her self out of the hold her friend had had on her. “What the hell is wrong with you! That hurt!” Buffy ran her hands up and down her arms. She glared at Willow.

Willow stood up in surprise. “I hurt you? I must be stronger than…..” Willow tapered off as she saw Buffys night sleeve lift slightly. There were dark purple bruises lining her arm. You could tell they were finger marks. And they weren’t new. Willow eyes filled with tears. “God, Buffy…”

Willow sat on the bed and wrapped her arms around her friend, trying as hard as she could to absorb her pain.

Buffy sat stiff while Willow was holding her. She looked up and once again saw the mirror that never lies. SO far, it had been the only one she couldn’t lie to. Now every thing was out. People knew. People from school. Her best friends. They all knew that she couldn’t handle herself when a little complication had interrupted her romance to Angel. No, she had to cry to her sister and yell at her boyfriend. No wonder Angel felt he had to hit her to keep her in line. Because that’s all he was doing. And he was only doing it because he loved her. He had told her more than once that it hurt him more than it hurt her.
Suddenly an idea hit her. Buffy scrambled out of Willows arms, off her bed and over to her closet. As Buffy shuffled through her clothes Willow sat in a state of shock.

“Buffy, what are you doing?” Willow spoke slowly.

“Im getting dressed and then I am going to go see Angel.” Buffy spoke matter-of-factly with a large smile on her face. A smile sprouted upon Willows face too and she jumped over to Buffy.

“Your gonna do it? Your gonna just go break up with him! Yay Buffy! This is good. Do you want me to come? We can bring Xander and Spike so than if he tries anything they can kick his ass!.” Willow made a comical ‘Grrr’ face.

Buffy laughed at Willow and shook her head.

“No silly. Im going to make sure he’s not mad at me so we don’t break up.” Buffy grinned and rolled her eyes. “Why would I break up with him? He loves me and he will always love me. What girl doesn’t want that?”

(hey guys!! I need reviews cuz its lookin like nobody loves me...pssh w/e I would still write even if nobody reviewed but my writings better with inspiration
~love Bella