Spike pulled the popcorn from the microwave and dumped it into a large bowl. Grabbing a can of soda and his glass full of blood, he walked into the living room and sat down beside Buffy. He still wasn't sure what had happened with her that afternoon, or why she had been so distant, but he was hell bent on helping her put it out of her mind. And his. "So, you've never seen this movie, huh?"



Buffy shook her head and took the bowl of popcorn, popping several pieces into her mouth. After a short nap and a couple of hours alone, she had decided that she would keep pretending, just until she could pull herself together. "I'm the Slayer. Or, I was. That kinda kept me busy when it was movie time."



"Well, thank Xander for his impeccable movie collection." Pressing play on the remote control, he winked at her. "You're in for a treat."



"Does it matter that I've never seen any of the other Star Wars movies?"



"And you call yourself an American?" Spike shook his head and pointed at the stack of movies on top of the television. "We've got them all."



Buffy relaxed a little, enjoying the feel of his thigh pressing against hers as they shared the popcorn. All the lights were off, with just the television flickering from one corner of the room. Several times, her hand brushed his inside the bowl and she tingled with every encounter, forcing herself to concentrate on the movie. Soon, she was transported to a galaxy far, far away, and by the time the credits rolled, she was thoroughly enraptured. "Ooh, I can't believe I've never seen that!"



"Ready for The Empire Strikes Back?" Spike stood and stretched, rubbing the back of his head.



"I need a bathroom break and then we're set," she replied and motioned for her chair.



"I'll just carry you." Spike swooped her up in his arms with a flourish, like Luke Skywalker about to swing through the air with Princess Leia. As he carried her toward the bathroom, Buffy decided that he was much closer to Han Solo than Luke.



"How gallant of you," she teased.



"I'm not gallant, I'm just in a hurry to see the next film. And, no offense, Slayer, but you aren't exactly hell on wheel."



"Hey!" Buffy giggled and punched his shoulder. "If you're gonna treat me like I'm helpless, I'll act it," she moaned lightly, pretending to faint as she let her body go limp, her head rolling back on his arm.



"Good thing you're not an actress," Spike replied with a chuckle, keeping a firm grip on her.







Angel stepped onto the porch of the Summers' home and drew his hand back to knock. A motion inside caught his attention and he peered through the small windows, stunned to see Spike carrying a very limp Buffy in his arms. Drawing back, he charged, kicking the door in and gripping the blonde vampire's shoulder. "Buffy!?"



Spike spun, almost dropping the Slayer and she screeched, wrapping her arms around his neck. Instinctively, to protect them both, Spike lashed out with his foot, kicking their attacker in the midsection.



Buffy recognized Angel immediately, and laid her hand on Spike's arm. "It's Angel. Spike, stop!"



"I see who it is and he should know better than to sneak up on people," Spike growled, his eyes fiery gold and blazing. "You almost made me drop her, you ponce."



Angel stared from one to the other. "What are you doing with her? Buffy, are you okay?"



"I'm fine," Buffy said, then turned to look at Spike. "Bathroom break?"



Spike nodded, keeping his gaze locked on his sire's. "Excuse us."



Angel shifted uncomfortably as Spike took Buffy around the corner. A second later, Spike came back into the room and breezed past him, walking into the living room to retrieve Buffy's chair. Angel followed him, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "What the hell are you doing here?"



"Looking after the Slayer while her mum's away." Spike spread a small throw into the seat of the chair, leaving room on either side to pull over her legs. "What the hell are you doing here?"



"Giles told me what happened. I called because Cordelia thinks Buffy is in danger."



Spike smiled bitterly. "Where was Cordelia several months ago? That's when Buffy was almost dead and so miserable that she wanted to be. Where were you then?"



"I asked you what you are doing here," Angel said evenly, not betraying his emotions. Seeing Spike with her was like a knife in his gut. The last time he had seen his childe, Spike had been torturing him nearly to death for the Gem of Amarrah.



"Things have changed in this town, Angel." Spike leaned close, menacingly close. "You've been replaced."



Angel's fist flew. connecting with Spike's jaw, and he ducked in time to avoid the same from Spike. "You better not be taking advantage of her situation, Spike. I swear to god, I'll kill you."



Buffy had relieved herself and quickly pulled her underwear up when she heard the commotion in the other room. She yanked the door open and shouted for Spike. When he didn't appear, she dropped onto the floor and pulled herself along, using only her arms. Her rational mind was telling her that it would be a perfect time to just walk into the room, but she ignored it and pulled herself along, trying to shut out the sound of her legs dragging behind her. Once she was in the foyer, she saw her toppled over chair and the two vampires swinging at one another furiously. Gripping a large glass vase from the corner of the room, she tossed it, striking the wall near their heads. "Stop it!"



Angel turned toward her, exposing his jaw for a perfectly placed right hook from Spike. The blonde watched in satisfaction as his sire half spun, then he turned toward Buffy, righting her chair as he crossed the small space. Holding his arms toward her, he was stunned when she pushed him away and glanced past him. He watched her gaze at Angel for a few seconds, then growled in anger, gripping her under the arms and depositing her in her chair.



"Angel, are you okay?" She stared at the blood on the dark haired vampire's lip, then turned to look up at Spike. "Have you lost your mind?"



"What the hell is that supposed to mean? He threw the first punch!" Spike pointed his finger toward Angel. "He blew in here looking for a fight."



"And you just had to give it to him, didn't you?" Buffy shook her head and rolled toward Angel. "What are you doing here?"



Angel fought the lump in his throat at the sight of her in the wheelchair. Of course she was unmarred physically, and she was still the most beautiful woman he had laid eyes on, but a=seeing her vulnerable like this was a shock. "I heard what happened to you, Buffy. I- I needed to see-"



"You saw." Buffy rolled her chair back and spread her arms wide. "Get a good look."



Angel's face clouded, confusion and hurt rolling across his features. "I just meant that I - I was worried, Buffy."



Spike laid a protective hand on her shoulder. "He says Cordelia had a vision about you."



"Is that right?" Buffy kept her gaze on Angel, her eyes never leaving his.



Angel shifted and stared at Spike's possessively placed hand. "She saw you alone and breathless in a dark alley. Your clothes were torn, your face was bloody and you were in agony, Buffy. She said that your heart was breaking. I've never seen her react to a vision the way she did with this one. Something's going to happen here. Soon."



"Did she see anything else?" She gripped the wheels of her chair, her fingers curling tightly around the rubber.



Angel nodded and met her eyes again. "She saw Giles fighting with some woman and several men in suits fighting with demons inside some kind of lab."



"The Council." Spike knelt down next to Buffy. "It's the Council, isn't it?"



"What does the Council have to do with anything? What's going on?" Angel narrowed his eyes when he saw Spike push a lock of Buffy's hair out of her face.



"The Council has everything to do with it," Giles spoke up suddenly, stepping through the open doorway.



"Giles, what are you doing here so late?" Buffy asked, worrying at the look on his face.



"I came to tell you that Angel was on his way," he said as he surveyed the broken glass and splintered door. "It appears that I'm a little late." Lifting the door, he fitted it back into the frame and shook his head when it fell straight through and landed on the porch. "This won't do at all. It's not safe."



"Vampires can't come in unless they're invited, Giles. We'll call someone to replace the door in the morning," Buffy said.



Giles ran a hand through his hair and exhaled loudly. "Vampires aren't the only thing you need to be worrying about. Have you forgotten this quickly that the Council could very well be behind this entire attack?"



"Whoa, back up." Angel gestured toward Buffy. "The Council did this to her?"



"It's possible," Giles nodded.



"It's not your concern, Angel," Spike snapped. "We've got it under control."



"No, it *is* my concern." Angel paced a few feet, putting his hands on his hips. "Buffy, they wouldn't be trying to kill you if you hadn't quit. This is all my fault."



"Oh, hell!" Spike groaned. "How in the *hell* do you get that? Everything is not always about you, you, you -- you bloody poof!"



"She quit because of me, Spike. That's how in the *hell* I got that," Angel told him, mimicking his tone.



Spike's eyes widened and he glanced up at Buffy from where he was still kneeling beside her. "You quit because they fired Giles, right? That's what you told me."



"Well, I- I . When they fired him I-" Buffy closed her eyes, rubbing her forehead. "It's a long story."



"Faith poisoned me and when the Council refused to help save my life, Buffy quit." Angel smirked slightly, enjoying his childe's obvious annoyance. "She quit for me. It was *about* me."



"I quit for me too," Buffy quickly corrected. "I quit for Giles, for you, for every Slayer behind me, but most of all, for me."



Giles noticed how thick the tension had gotten, watching closely as Spike stood up and glared at Buffy, crossing his arms over his chest. He cleared his throat. "Buffy, would you like to come to my house tonight? With the door being-"



"No." Buffy shook her head. "I'm not going to run."



"I can take down another door, use the hinges, and nail this one shut," Angel told Giles.



"I do hope you don't plan on staying here," Spike replied.



"Spike-" Buffy began, but closed her mouth when he turned his gaze back on her. She swallowed hard, and looked away, unable to see him looking at her with such contempt.



Giles cleared his throat again. "Actually, Angel, I was hoping you would accompany me to Willy's Alibi Room tonight. We need to find out everything we can and Willy always has been intimidated by you."



"Willy is intimidated by everyone." Spike turned on his heel and left the room, heading toward the basement to get the toolbox he had seen resting on a shelf.



"Excuse me," Buffy said, rolling herself backwards. She rounded the corner into the kitchen just in time to see Spike opening the door that led to the basement. "Spike, what are you doing?"



Spike spun on his heel. "I'm getting the hammer and some nails, and when I'm finished and they are gone, you and I are going to discuss that lie you told me."



"I can explain."



"Oh, you damn well better."







Angel parked his car behind Giles' and followed him into Willy's Alibi Room. Glancing around the small bar, he was pleased to note that it was mostly deserted. There were three vampires playing pool in one corner, and two squid-like demons with tentacles sitting in one of the booths. Angel and Giles sat at the bar and waited for Willy to come and take their order. The short bartender stopped short when he saw who had entered his club.



"Angel, man. What are you doing back in town?" Willy sat the glass he'd been polishing in front of the vampire, then put another one in front of Giles. He reached for a bottle of scotch and then turned back to face them.



Angel took the bottle from Willy and filled his glass. "I'll give you two guesses."



"The Slayer, right?" Willy filled Giles' glass with cognac and put the bottle beside the man. "I don't know much of anything."



Angel downed the barely passable liquor and filled his glass again. "Why don't you tell me what you do know."



"I already told Giles." Willy lifted his towel and dabbed at the bar nervously.



"You're fidgeting. I can always tell when you're hiding something because you fidget." Angel moved with lightning speed, gripping the man by his collar and yanking him halfway across the bar. "And you didn't even tell me it was good to see me. You already started off on the wrong foot so I suggest you toe the line."



"Okay, Okay!" Willy held his hands up, surrendering to the vampire. "I'll tell ya, but if word gets out ..." Angel growled menacingly and Willy continued, "Three limousines rolled into town today carrying about eighteen men." Pointing toward Giles, he added, "They all sounded like you do."



"You spoke to them?" Angel loosened his grip and glanced at Giles. "And what did they say?"



"They asked a lotta questions about the Hellmouth. It scared the hell out of me that they all knew so much about me. That sorta thing ain't good for the clientele, you know." Lowering his voice, he leaned forward again. "They asked me if I had heard of something called the Initiative, too. I'm thinking that has something to do with all those soldiers that are running around having open season on the demon varieties in this town, but I didn't say nothing."



"Anything else?" Giles prodded.



"They kept referring to someone as 'her'. I don't think they were talking about the Slayer. They said that the lack of demonic activity at the Hellmouth was because of 'her' and that she was doing more harm than good because of it. Something about prophecies not being fulfilled because of her interference. They didn't sound too pleased." Willy began to wipe down the bar again, indicating that he was finished sharing information with the two men.



"Did they mention Buffy at all?" asked Angel.



"Not to me, but I heard one of them say that they'd give anything for the Slayer's help with something." Willy put the bottle down and looked at the vampires that were playing pool. "Hey,[" he called out. "we're closing in ten minutes. Pay up."



Angel watched the vampires for a couple of seconds, trying to collect his thoughts. "Have you seen the vampires who attacked Buffy around lately?"



"Not for a few days, no."



Angel pulled a business card from the pocket of his duster and held it between two fingers. "You call my cell phone if you do. You call me if you find out anything. And if anyone comes in here asking anymore questions, you give them my name and tell them I've got their answers. You understand that?"



"You got it, man." Willy poked the card in the breast pocket of his plaid shirt and patted it. "Call you."



Giles dropped a ten on the counter and followed Angel out of the bar. In the parking lot, he leaned against the hood of his car and crossed his arms. "It's the Council, but--"



"And they fit into Cordelia's vision. Men fighting demons." Angel leaned against his own car, a perfect replication of Giles' position. "But what?"



"I have reason to believe that they aren't here officially."



"Why's that?"



"In all my time at the Council, I never knew of them spending money for capricious luxuries such as limousines."



"They wouldn't even spring for airfare for Wesley," Angel supplied. "What are you thinking?"



"I'm thinking that there are those within the system who aren't at all pleased with Darren Walsh and his leadership. I think that there are elders who have remained loyal to what being Chosen represents and they view what Maggie Walsh is doing as blasphemous." Giles paused. "And I think we may have an unlikely ally in them."



"Maggie Walsh?"



Giles sighed and let his keys dangle from his fingertips as he pointed toward the twenty-four hour diner across the street. "I can see that I will have to start at the beginning. Interested in some coffee?"



"Only if coffee can provide some answers."



"It's a good place to start."