Chapter 10- Breakfast Of Champions

Two days went by with the sisters preparing for their day in court. A generous feeling Buffy indulged her sister with a full day for both of them at an exclusive spa and then a shopping spree that left each of them with another bag to lug home. Dawn saw Buffy truly happy and laughing for the first time since the first came along and was overjoyed to see the change in her sister. She was so overjoyed that she failed to notice each night that her sister went to bed sooner and slept later in hopes of Spike returning to her.

Buffy gave her sister what she wanted to see and that was a happy Buffy, when there was anything further from the truth and that was every night she lost just a little more of herself. Every night she went to sleep knowing the only way she could be with him was in her dreams, dreams where they were together, where he would hold her and make all the pain go away, where they would laugh and talk hold each other and make love. Her dreams were the only place where she did not feel alone anymore, they had become her safe haven, they made her feel like she was back in Heaven, but this time with Spike by her side.

“Where’s Buffy, the meeting starts soon and I want to go over some things with her before we go in.” Gunn was leaning against the kitchen counter briefcase open beside him and a cup of extra strong coffee in his hands.

“I don’t know, I haven’t seen her yet this morning? Is she in the shower?” Fred was sitting at the table eating a jelly doughnut and trying very hard not to get its fine powder all over her, without much luck.

“I think I heard her in her room when I came downstairs, but I didn’t stop.” Angel was at the stove cooking breakfast for Buffy and Dawn, he had awoken early and decided that he would fix them a good luck breakfast before they had their meeting with their father’s and his wife’s attorneys. It wasn’t actually like they would need the luck, not with Gunn representing them. Angel was still amazed at how the man had changed since he had been given the knowledge of the law uploaded into his brain. On rare occasions he still saw some of the street kid he had come to think of as a brother as well as a friend.

“Dawn, sweetness could you go up and haul you’re sister’s fanny down here, I think she would agree that we should all go together to provide a united front.” Lorne dressed to the nines was sitting in his usual regal style with a copy of Variety in front of him and sipping a smoothing that for some really gross reason matched not only the color of his skin but also the blue suit he was wearing.
Buffy meanwhile tossed and turned knowing full well that she had to get up that she had the meeting to go to, but she didn’t want to tear herself away from Spike’s arms. It was so comfortable and she felt so good. Right now they were lying on a blanket of soft green grass, warm air blowing over them and gazing up at the stars trying to count them all. It wasn’t until she was forcibly shaken that she attempted to open her eyes, her heart fell when she looked into those of her sister who had a concerned look on her face.

“What’s wrong Dawnie, I must have over slept.” Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she stretched her muscles and looked at her sister who still wore the look of concern.

“Buffy, I’ve been trying to wake you up for almost fifteen minutes, it wasn’t until I got rough that I even got a response from you. You know we have the meeting today, why aren’t you up, dressed and ready to go?”

“We have time Dawn, besides it never takes me as long to get ready
as it does you. I be down in fifteen minutes and that’s with taking a shower.” Buffy flung her legs over the bed and went about getting her clothes ready. Choosing a feminine yet business like dress in light airy fabric that while perfect for the California weather she knew she would never be able to wear in London, not even in the middle of summer.

“I’ll be downstairs waiting for you then I guess, hurry up though Angels making breakfast and you don’t want it to be cold by the time you get down.” Dawn hurried downstairs still worried about her sister and her bizarre behavior.

Buffy was the one always up before everyone else. It was not like her to really sleep in, especially oversleep, even when she was slaying. She had been so happy lately; maybe she was just getting a cold. Whenever Dawn even got the sign of the sniffles all she wanted to do was stay in bed until they went away, yeah that was it, Buffy was getting a cold, and see nothing to worry about at all. With those parting thoughts Dawn almost flounced down the stairs, ready to see how much money their father had actually left them.

“So Dawn, where is Buffy?” Angel asked wiping his hands on a towel when Dawn entered the kitchen.

“She said she’ll be down in fifteen minutes, she was still asleep when I went up there. I think she’s getting a cold.” Everyone seemed to accept that answer as fact and they all went about finishing their breakfast.

Buffy was indeed downstairs in the fifteen minutes that she said she would be. She sat down at the kitchen table and immediately a fresh plate of eggs, bacon and toast was slid in front of her. She looked up smiling at Angel and thanked him. He poured her a glass of juice and himself a cup of blood and sat down as she ate.

Angel had to admit that Spike was one lucky SOB; Buffy was as beautiful as she had been at sixteen. Though he had always wondered what she would have looked like with her natural color hair after choosing to keep it blonde all these years. Right now she looked like a typical California girl, but he bet she would be exotic and ravishing with dark hair flowing around her. Maybe he could always lay some hints that she would look just as well dark as she did light. Was definitely something to think about, maybe he would have to put a sketch to paper so he could show her?

He had been staring so hard at Buffy that he hadn’t noticed everyone stop what they were doing to stare back at him, Buffy included.

“Angel, man are you here with us, or taking a trip on the USS Enterprise?” Gunn was looking at Angel liked he had just grown a set of horns. Which made an unusually uncomfortable Angel squirm and then get out of his seat and start the morning’s dishes.

“Nothing, just thinking about what we can do about our resident ghost problem.”

“Angel we don’t have a ghost here, just S….” Fred said before promptly shutting her mouth, and trying not to look at Buffy.

“Way to go Fred, open mouth insert proverbial foot.” Fred thought to herself and stood up hoping to make a quick exit from the kitchen before she stuck herself in it yet again.

Lorne taking up Angel’s lead to see if either Dawn or Buffy had seen Spike put his two cents in.

“So have you girls seen anything that looks like Casper floating around, kind of has a habit of being there one minute and not there the next?” He could tell by the shake of their heads the answer was no.

“Well you might want to be on the look out for this Spook, he’s kind of gotten himself attached to Angel, now just follows him around from place to place, and has been seen both here at the Hyperion and at Wolfram and Hart.” Gunn finished his four cup of Joe and plopped it into the sink, promptly splashing Angel who sent him a dirty look.
Finishing the dishes and turned around and leaned against the cabinetry folding his arms crossed his chest and waiting to see what his next comments reactions would be.

“Yeah, damn thing keeps popping up at the most inopportune time, reminds me of a lot like Spike. Always being exactly right where you don’t want him to be, usually within five miles. And then talking your ear off until you’re sure they’re bleeding, making you wish you were death just so you wouldn’t have to listen to his constant yammering. Never to mind the either sob stories or the ones that make no sense letting you know that there are definitely no bulbs burning brightly in his head, more like this ghost, dead air with the wattage of a night light.” Angel was doing it on purpose, belittling Spike to see what kind of reaction he would get out of Buffy. He hadn’t expected Dawn’s reaction.

Dawn pushed back her chair so hard and fast that slid against the floor before banging into the wall.

“You don’t know a damn thing about Spike. He was kind and gentle, fight to the death to protect someone he cared about, damn near killed himself trying to protect me several times. His stories are what made me become a Watcher. Not only did he protect me, but he and will always be my best friend. Spike is worth a thousand of you Angel and if you ever want to try to say otherwise again, not only will you wake up on fire, but I’ll watch you burn, mix your ashes in holy water, make a nice cross and hang it on my front door.” With that Dawn turned on her heel and strode out of the room.

“Well.” Angel grinned to himself, that one had taken the bait, now to see how Buffy was reacting.

The disturbing thing was Buffy made no reaction, only of that to lay down her silverware, wipe her mouth with her napkin and follow her sister out of the room. Angel had looked closely into her eyes, eyes that held no emotion, they were completely blank, as if she hadn’t heard a thing he had said. Maybe it was just as Dawn said though and Buffy was coming down with some hopefully human form of a bug. He pushed the former thought from his mind and settled on the fact that she was just getting the flu and it was nothing to really worry about, she probably just had a headache and had tuned everything out because she didn’t feel well. Yeah that was it. There was nothing to worry about at all.