Chapter 12- Confrontations of Winners and Losers

“Harmony, I need these typed and back on my desk to sign by this afternoon. I’ll be out of the office for a few hours, Gunn and I have a meeting.” Not bothering to answer any questions he strode back into his office where Gunn was waiting and preparing for the hearing that would take place in thirty minutes in Angel’s private conference room.
“Everything’s ready Boss, just waiting for the other party to show. I finally got the last little piece of information I needed. This just might be the easiest case I’ve ever had.”

“Good, I’m going to go upstairs and wait with the girls, buzz me when your ready for us. Is there anything that you want to relay to Buffy and Dawn.” Angel stood over his desk signing and shuffling papers. He still had trouble believing that so much power could lay in a single sheet of paper and the words printed on it. If only he could find an easy way like that to have the power over Wolfram and Hart then maybe this whole taking over and evil law firm just might turn out okay.

“Yeah, just tell them to be cool. I’m taking care of everything, there is nothing that they need to worry about.” To further stress his point Gunn propped his feet up on the conference table and leaned back hands folded behind his head and began his wait. It was so much fun to annihilate the competition this way, and a lot less of a health risk.

Upstairs Buffy and Dawn stood side by side, arms entwined, staring out over the city that was no appealing to them. There were fun things to see and do, but home had become London, their family was there.

After Buffy’s breakdown or breakthrough, depending on which person you asked they had sat and actually made some plans as to what to do with the remainder of their trip. There would be of course the prerequisite day at the beach, and a day of shopping, then they would be heading to Sunnydale and to the monument that would be erected for those that had lost their lives. Then they would head home, maybe then they would plan on taking a real vacation somewhere, just the two of them. Dawn wanted to go to Paris, and Buffy wanted to go to Rome, if things went really well today, maybe they would have the chance to do both. After than who knew, they could travel some more, or sit down and actually have normal lives again.

It gladdened Angel’s heart to see them close. As he watched from the doorway he could still feel Buffy’s sorrow rolling off of her in waves, but at least her and Dawn were talking and interacting with each other. Something had definitely happened while he had been downstairs, something good and had been coming for a long time. He hated to break them apart, but surely their guests would be here by now, even though Charles’ hadn’t buzzed yet.

Walking up behind both of them he un-Angel like put both arms around the girls and drew them into his embrace hoping to give them what little bit of comfort he could, knowing it wouldn’t be anywhere near what they needed. To his surprise both leaned into him and put their arms around him. Without realizing it both girls had turned to cling to the one person where they could feel Spike the most his Sire. For both it was nice, but would never be as nice as if they had the real things beside them, but for a moment they could pretend.

Behind him Angel could sense his childe and also heard the soft growl that came from him, but there was nothing he could do. Not wanting to rub Spike’s nose in it even more, but definitely wanting to test his patience, Angel placed a kiss on each girl’s forehead, saving Buffy for last. He almost chuckled when he heard the growl intensify before it was interrupted by Gunn paging him from downstairs.

“Angel, we’re ready for you down here, whenever you’re ready.” The line was cut off and Angel turned around to usher the girls to the elevator already knowing that Spike had disappeared just as quickly as he had come. Angel really was going to have to have words with his Childe about invading his private space. For now that could wait, right now he had to make damn sure that Buffy and Dawn got everything they deserved and right now it was what rightfully belonged to them

Heading both girls in the direction of the conference room, he could now understand why both girls considered their step mother to be a slut. Dressed in a very form fitting purple dress she looked as if she not only knew her plastic surgeon by first names, but was also intimately involved with him. Everything about her screamed plastic and fake, from platinum hair that could rival Spike’s in brightness, to her porn star boobs and injected lips. Her eyes were a definite unnatural shade of purple that for some strange reason matched the polish on her fingers and toes. Lets not forget the shoes that exclaimed former stripper or porn queen then Angel would let Spike put a stake right through his heart. Gunn introduced the woman as named Simona, as if that was her actual name.

“We’re all here now, why don’t we take a seat and get started.” Angel pulled out chairs for Buffy and Dawn. Simona had

Simona had looked at Angel and had practically drooled. Angel could smell the lust coming off of her and it made him ill, there was defiantly no class to be found there, which made it obvious why she would attract someone like Hank Summers who wouldn’t know class if he had been hit upside the head with it, after all he was the one that had cheated on Joyce, which just went to show people that the man’s brains lived in his pants and not his head. Simona had obviously thought that Angel was going to pull out her chair for her too, but was left pouting her too large lips when he pulled out a chair and sat down between Buffy and Gunn.

“Is it really necessary for you to be here sir, as head of the firm I would have thought that you would have a lot more important things to do rather than sit in on a simple hearing.” Simona’s attorney Davis something or the other, Angel couldn’t remember, was one of the ones he had gone up against when fighting Hollings a few years ago.

“I have a vested interest in this case, and as long as Judge Stallworth doesn’t mind I’ll sit in.” Nodding at the judge who was in the employ of Wolfram and Hart he knew that the man would see things his way.

“Sit down Davis and let’s get this over with, I would like to tee off sometime today. If Mr. Angel wants to sit in let him, it’s his building we’re in after all.”

Passing papers to the judge, Davis began is argument. “As you can see sir, my client was the wife to Hank Summers for 9 months before his death last month, the defendants were unknown as was Hank Summers’ first wife a Joyce Summers who is deceased as of 3 years ago. The claim these women have brought against my client is fraudulent and charges should be filed against them for making claims against the inheritance of Hank Summers.”

“Okay, Mr. Gunn what do you have to say on your clients’ behalf.” Stallworth took the papers and thumbed through them, trying to actually look interested in what was perfected falsified documents.

“Your honor, I have here copies of birth certificates, a marriage license, and bank checks from Hank Summers to Joyce Summers for the care of their two children Buffy and Dawn. Repeated attempts were made at contacting Mr. Summers over the past 4 years, but there has been no word other than an odd phone call or two to the girls. Mr. Summers was allegedly in Spain when Mrs. Summers became gravely ill. Word was left with his secretary as to his immediate return home due to her illness. Word that was left I believe with you Simona Farnsfutter, but you didn’t tell Hank Summers’ that his wife was ill, you told him that she was dead. Then you wasted no time in telling Hank that you were pregnant and now the two of you could be married right away. I have documents showing that you and Hank Summers’ were married in Spain a month after that call. Joyce Summers was still alive at that time and lived on for a few months after that. So in actuality you and Hank Summers’ were married illegally which makes you being his widow null and void. The rightful inheritors and Buffy and Dawn Summers. All assets pertaining to the marriage are to be forfeited immediately, including residences, bank accounts, cars, jewelry artwork, and anything of value. The residence is to be vacated immediately and all bank accounts are to be immediately closed pending an audit. Not only will Mr. Summers’ accounts be audited, but yours as well Ms. Farnsfutter.” Once Gunn got on a roll he was amazing, he hadn’t even bothered to stand up for any of it, just sat in his seat and kept his cool, knowing that it was an open and shut case and that he was already the winner. Man it was good to have all this power and knowledge in his head, it was an even better trip than fighting demons and vampires.

“Young lady you have some explaining to do as to why not only did you blackmail Mr. Summers, but as to why you came her to con the rightful heirs of the estate. If I were you Davis I would start preparing a defense for your client in the case of fraud. Gunn, if I was you I would tell your clients to sue the ass of this tart and take her for everything she’s got. This case is closed. Judgement is for the defendant. All assets must immediately be turned over to Dawn and Buffy Summers. That includes anything of value bought during the marriage be they gifts or otherwise young lady, including the rock residing on the plaintiff’s finger seeing as how it was acquired due to blackmail. Ms. Farnsfutter you are not to return to your husband’s residence and you will hand over any charge cards or lines of credit immediately. An audit will be done on all of your assets from the day of the marriage till this very moment and for one year afterward. You will not be taking a dime from these women.”

“But what about my clothes and personal things, I’m not letting them get their hands on my things. I earned all of that money fair and square and you’re just going to sit here and hand it all over to them. My God, I mean look at them, does it really look like they need anything, especially with their own private sugar daddy sitting right beside them. Do you think that I am just going to stand here and let this happen?” She was literally shrieking, it was almost comical. For the first time in weeks Buffy let out a genuine laugh at the woman who thought that she had been smart enough to get away with anything.

Simona didn’t take kindly to being laughed at and reached over the table to slap Buffy across the face. Buffy slayer skills still very much intact caught her hand in midair and wretched it to the table causing a howl of pain from her father’s blackmailer.

“I think we have everything we need, thank you judge. Buffy if you want to press charges for assault as well as theft, we can make sure that this woman is locked away for a long time.” Gunn stood up, followed by Dawn and Angel. Buffy still sat in her seat pinning Simona’s hand to the table.
“Charges won’t be necessary, but if you could make certain that this woman doesn’t leave with any of my father’s possessions until Dawn and I can have everything verified I would be extremely appreciative.”

Angel made a call on the desk phone and a few seconds later two burly men came into the room.

“Gentleman, if you would be nice enough to see that Ms. Frankenfurter here doesn’t leave with anything of value, including credit cards and jewelry, strip search her if necessary, then run a scan to make sure she hasn’t swallowed anything. You are to then take her to a motel where you are to watch her every move until I give you notice otherwise. All phone calls from her room are to also me monitored.”

“You can’t do this to me, there are laws against this stuff, tell them Davis.” Simona was rubbing her hand now that Buffy had let it go.

Looking at Angel you had a sinister look on his face was enough for Davis to let his client go, for fear of Angel’s wrath. He had heard tales about what the vampire would do to people that didn’t follow his orders, he wasn’t ready to face a beheading, or to end up in a bucket.

“I’m sorry Simona, but I feel it is in my best interest, but I will no longer be able to provide you with legal counsel. You will get my bill in the mail. And don’t try to blackmail me either, because I have all of our meetings on video.” Picking up his briefcase he bid a hasty retreat out the door and back to his own office.

Tearing the huge diamond off her finger, she threw it at the person she figured she could cause the most damage to, the kid. Not quick enough to catch it, and with Buffy sitting and Angel at the door Dawn wasn’t ready when the ring hit her in the cheek, the heavy stone cutting into its soft flesh and making the blood run. Dawn immediately cried out in the flash of pain and grabbed her cheek.

Buffy having caught the action out of the corner of her eye wasted no time in leaping over the table and grabbing the woman by the throat. Almost feral eyes looked down in Simona’s frightened face, she could feel the blood pounding in her neck as Buffy squeezed, not caring that she was cutting off the woman’s air supply.

“It’s one thing to attack me, but you never and I mean never hurt my sister.” Buffy’s voice was as devoid of emotion as a person could get. It didn’t even bother her that she was close to snapping the woman’s neck, or that the woman was also rapidly turning blue. It wasn’t until she felt Angel’s arms tugging her off that the realization of what she had almost done seeped in.
Angel once he had Buffy on her feet let her go and watched as she checked to make sure her sister was okay then walked out the door and into his office and get in the elevator.

“Get her out of my sight, and remember what I told you.” Angel turned to Dawn. Gunn was pressing a handkerchief to her cheek and looking up at Charles with tears in her eyes. Figuring that she would be all right he headed off to find Buffy.