Chapter 14- Alone

The early evening sun shone on her as she walked along the beach, still in the dress that she had worn that morning. Her shoes were off and dangling in her fingers and the soft lapping water washed over them.

There were still stragglers on the beach enjoying the twilight, but the families had gone home to supper and bath time and stories read to children that would drop off after the first page. The day for them would be the same all over again when they awoke.

At one time Buffy had wanted that life, the mundane existence that normal people had. The family, the job, the house, everything that she would never have. She could now, her slayer duties were over, if she really wanted to she could have the life that she always wanted.

But she didn’t want that life anymore, especially since there was no one to share it with. Life just wasn’t worth it anymore. At one time the fight was everything, life, death, love, all the things that she could handle. When she had retired there had just been Dawn to take care of. Now that Dawn was settled and would never have to worry about things again, her jobs, all of them were done.

There was nothing left for her, not here, not in London. Her friends all had their own lives all of them happy and relatively non Hellmouthy. With the new council they would all have jobs doing what they were destined to do, fighting the good fight, whereever it was that the world needed them to be.

One person could have made old age and getting to that point an interesting ride, but he was gone, and had left nothing behind except the imprint on Buffy’s heart. She would have liked traveling the world with him seeing all the places that she had read or dream about as a girl, experiencing life as she had always wanted.

Those dreams were gone, and like his ashes buried deep inside the crater of Sunnydale. Hopefully when things were all said in done they could be together. She didn’t care when she was or what torment she would have to go through as long as they were able to be together again.

For now she walked the beach, alone in her thoughts as she was alone in life, but not for long and never again.

No one thought much of the lonely girl walking the beach late at night. Not even the demons that could smell her despair at least a mile in every direction. No one bothered to even try, because what fun would it be to take something that was already dead and empty inside. There was still a soul, but this one had lost its spark and its will to live. Best to leave this one alone and move on to someone’s whose blood could still sing. The blues weren’t even a part of this one anymore, all that was left was an empty shell.