Chapter 16- Reunions


Dawn did what her brain told her to do, she screamed then promptly fainted, Spike’s arms scooping her up before her legs even buckled.

Carrying Dawn to her room Spike couldn’t help but chuckle at the fright he had given her, and damn if it didn’t feel good to be this close again to one of his girls. He still couldn’t believe how much he had missed both of them, they were his reasons for everything. Holding her close he breathed in the scent of her skin and the shampoo and soap she used, Dawn always smelled like a warm summer day, sunshine, apples and earth.

Laying the best friend that he had ever known down softly on the bed he smoothed her long hair back from her face and sat once again in the bed side chair and watched her sleep. It comforted him to know at least he would fully be there this time when she awoke.

Sensing her body temperature change before she actually began to shiver, more from shock that the air in the room Spike shrugged out of his coat and laid it over her, knocking a picture off her night stand as he did.

Picking it up he looked at it, figuring it was going to be a picture of Dawn and Buffy together. He had to sit down in shock at the image before him, it had been a good twenty years since he had seen what he looked like, never really caring much for pictures.

It wasn’t the fact that his skin and hair blended in with Joyce’s tablecloth, it wasn’t even the fact that the picture was of him sitting next to Dawn trying to teach her to play poker, drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies and popcorn. Their smiles didn’t shock him, he and the bit had a lot of fun that summer together, leaning on each other, because that was all that either one of them had.

What choked his throat and brought tears to his eyes was the fold down the center of the picture. She had taken this picture with her into battle, had folded it and stuck it in her pocket. It was probably the only thing that had survived Sunnydale’s demise other than the Scoobies. No one had packed anything, not knowing that the whole place was going to become a hole in the ground. But Dawn had, she had packed what was one of the most important things to her, her friendship with Spike.