Chapter 19- Not A Minute To Spare

Angel felt it first and turned to Spike, the look on his childe’s face told him all he needed to know.

Spike may have destroyed the Hellmouth but he hadn’t fully destroyed the evil within. The First was still very much alive and wanting to munch on something, and that something just happened to be Buffy.

Staring at her they all watched her inch just a little closer. She was already so close to the edge it was a wonder that she hadn’t fallen in just with the way the wind was blowing that had nothing to do with the chopper’s blades that were now slowing down to stop.

“What are we going to do, we can’t let her get any closer, or we’ll lose her.” Dawn was trying so hard not to let the full set of panic that she was feeling come out.

“I’ve got a plan. But I’ll need all the muscle I can get if it goes the way I think it will. We won’t have any time to go over the full details. Just give me a moment and I’ll be ready.”

Spike in a flash was back at the helicopter and helping himself to some gear he had seen upon exiting. Taking off his lucky coat he strapped on a repelling harness and taking as much cord as he could, he motioned for Lorne and Gunn to follow him quietly with more of the cording..

“I’ve only got one chance at this, and I’ll need everyone’s help. If she goes for it then I’m going after her. There should be enough here.”

Spike was strapping cables together as were the rest of them as fast as their fingers could fly. Hoping beyond any kind of hope that there would be enough rope to reach her if she flew.

“You know this is not enough to reach the bottom.” Angel whispered in Spikes ear standing beside him and helped him finish strapping it on.

“That’s why I’ll make sure that I won’t need it now. I can’t let her fall again. I watched it once and wasn’t able to stop her, this way even if she goes I go with her.” Spike knew that if he had to there was a switchblade in his pocket and before he would let Buffy fall alone he would go with her and then wait for the sun to take what was left. He wasn’t about to let her die again.

“Guys, she’s getting closer. We don’t have another moment to spare.” Dawn launched herself at Angel burying her face in his chest. Knowing that she couldn’t watch again as the two people she loved most plummet to the ground while she was helpless to stop it.

Spike looked at Lorne, looking for just the right time to spring into action. The demon had been silent the whole time as if trying to remember the exact moment that things would start going haywire.

Lorne took a long breath closed his eyes and remembered what Spike’s singing had shown him.

“Go now.” Was all that Lorne was able to gasp out before the vision yet again had him falling to his knees.

Spike took off in a straight dash not even waiting to give her the chance to see him.

He was withing a foot of her when he heard her voice.

“I’m coming my love, we’ll be together forever. I love you Spike!” Buffy cried to the wind and leaped arms extended flying through the air.
Flying through the air he caught her effortlessly. Holding onto her slack body that had found it easier to completely shut down Spike wrapped himself around Buffy and braced for the inevitable impact against the chasm’s wall.

He heard and felt his spine break low on his back numbing him from the waist down, but still Spike clung to Buffy knowing that whatever time he would have to spend again in a wheelchair would make up for her being alive and okay.

Buffy’s pulse was incredibly weak so much so that he could barely hear it even with vampire hearing. But at least she was still there, even if she was out cold. Better for her to wake up safe and sound than to not wake up at all.

Spike himself drifted into unconsciousness as he was pulled onto solid ground. Angel taking one look at his battered body from the times he had banged into the wall after catching Buffy and ordered a medical helicopter to be delivered along with Fred and Wesley.