Chapter 2- Unexpected Inheritance

Going home was not something that she thought that she would be doing so quickly, not when there is so much to do here, in England. She had to admit though it was the weather she missed most of all, the warm sunshine instead of all the drizzly gray days.

For many weeks she had continued to have nightmares of the first and they never failed to end with watching Spike explode into dust, those dreams hurt the most. She tried everything she could to put him out of her mind, often falling into sleep beyond exhausted just so she wouldn't have to think about him. He had died to save them all and for that he would always have her utmost respect. One thing that would be done when she went back was setting up the memorial for him, Anya, and the slayers that had died in battle. It was the least that they could do for the brave that had lost their lives. It would be just she and Dawn going, the rest staying behind to continue training the girls that seemed to arrive almost out of nowhere every day.

They with the counsel’s help had finally managed to track down their wayward father, who unfortunately had died in a car accident a few days before the final confrontation. They had surprised them to find out that he had left Buffy and Dawn quite well endowed with an inheritance. If they would be going back to lay claim before his slut of a new wife could lay her hands on it. Seemed she had Wolfram and Hart as her law firm, what she didn't know about was Buffy's relationship with the head of the firm. She still had a niggling feeling that there was going to be some kind of showdown, and as always Buffy did not intend to come out the loser. Their father had abandoned them, his inheritance said that he had at least thought enough of them to provide for them.

Walking down the hall to her sister’s room she found Dawn frantically throwing things in suitcases with no real rhyme or reason. Dawn, amazed her at the way she had changed, gone was the innocence of her teenage years, She continued to study and planned on joining the Council of Watcher's when her schooling was finished. There were not many outside the group who knew that ancient monks had made Dawn from a life form of energy that was powerful enough to destroy the world. To Buffy she would always be just Dawn, kid sister and often Brat. When she had heard that Spike had died saving them, it had been devastating. For Dawn, Spike had been brother, uncle and father figure all rolled into one. She kept a photo of the two of them beside her bed and never failed to cry whenever she looked at it. More often than not Buffy would find the picture face down, her sister’s tears streaking the glass front.

Buffy ached for her sister and the people that both of them had lost, they were the last two of the Summer's line. Dawn would be the one who would continue the gene line for both of them, Buffy gave up that hope long ago. She had been on a couple of dates, since coming to England but neither had much of a spark so she had cut them off before they had even begun.

"What times does the plane leave again?" Dawn asked looking up at her sister, depositing the picture of her and Spike on the mountain of clothes, in the suitcase and zipping it shut.

"If we are going to make it to the airport in time we have to leave in a half an hour, but the plane doesn't leave for two." Buffy walked in taking one of her sister’s bags and placing it in the hall with her own. "You do realize we're only going to be there for a few days a week at the most, there was no need for three full suitcases."

"Yeah, but I just want to make sure that I pack for any occasion that may arise. I mean come on Buffy we're going to LA, I want to look my best, and especially if slut bag wants to try something like takes dad’s money away from us. The way you look and present yourself can decide in favor of us."

"If we have to wind up paying out more money for your extra cases, it’s coming out of your pocket not mine." Buffy picked up her suitcase and carry on, and carried them down the long hall then down the stairs to the front door. A gracious council had provided them the use of a home in London, a lavish home if you asked Buffy. The damn place seemed right out of the eighteenth century, if it wouldn't be for the high security system Buffy would have thought they would have stepped into a time warp.

So much had happened in the months since the Hell mouth, the whole troop had stormed the Council and demanded change, not just in the treatment of the slayers, but in their complete training and lives. After not much of a fight with ten slayer teens, an ex watcher, a demon fighter and two master slayers forcing their vote. There was nothing that they could really do beside a step down and start the whole process of changing a system that they had used almost since the dawn on time. In the process making Giles head of the whole damn thing, with Buffy second in command. In the end Buffy had stated before everyone that she would be there to help train any new slayers. As of the moment she hoped off the back of the bus and faced a chasm that had once been her home, she had retired from slaying. There were others now, a lot of them to take over where she had left off. She would be there as mentor and teacher but her slaying days were over. Then she requested back payment not only for herself and Faith but the Scoobies as well, because without them the world would have ended long before now.

She waited and impatiently tapped her foot, glancing at the entrance clock wishing, Dawn would hurry up.

"Dawn come on, were going to be late." The knocking on the door had her opening it to a smiling Scooby gang.

Xander was smiling and seemingly happy, having gotten used now to having a glass eye to replace the one that Caleb had gouged out.

Willow was her bright and perky self having finally reigned in her power and for once without Kennedy at their side.

Faith was all black and scowling as usual but you could tell that there was a definite twinkle in her eyes now. It wasn't long after Buffy had made her speech that Faith had to, handing over her job as slayer as well. Robin came up behind her putting his arms around her and you got to see a rare moment, Faith's smile when she looked up at him and touched his cheek showing off the recently acquired engagement ring. It had taken Robin some doing in finally convincing Faith to marry him, he didn't by challenging her that she couldn't live a somewhat normal life, and you know Faith she can never turn down a challenge.

Giles just stood there, good old reliable Giles, her adopted father wiping the London mist from his glasses, looking at her with pride and a smile on his face.

Things have been so much easier since coming to London. Life was becoming very normal for an ex slayer, right now it didn't look like it could get any better, and it couldn't if she didn't think about Spike she was okay. It was at night alone in her room listening to the traffic and the sirens that she missed him the most. Missed her head laying against his cool chest and his arms around her stroking her hair and making the whole world just disappear except the two of them. She had tried that last time to tell him that she loved him, but by that time it had been too late, he didn't believe her.

Dammit, if she didn't stop, they would see and then they would be worried. She didn't want to take away from their happiness right now for anything in the world, so instead she turned her almost crying eyes away from her and hollered up the stairs.

"Dawn, get your butt in gear its time to go, not five more minutes now, or you're getting left behind."

That seemed to have the effect she wanted as Dawn threw a bag down the stairs almost taking out a table and a vase of flowers, before Dawn showed at the top of the stairs carrying her two lumbering bags.

"Can I get some help here?" She muffled trying not to lose her balance on the steps.

"You packed them, you carry them." Buffy said her arms folded across her chest and glaring at her sister. Knowing that this was going to be an interesting trip.