Chapter 5- Homecoming

Changing flights for the final time in Houston, both girls tried to relax in their seats, nervous and on the edge both decided that trying to hold any type of conversation was right now not going to be well. It seemed that if they actually made LA before killing each other then the trip had at least been that successful. Buffy thumbed through a magazine where she had already read every article trying to get a grip on the nausea that roiled her stomach. Dawn, was engrossed in music blaring from her headphones.

She thought about what she would say to Angel once she saw him. The last time they had seen each other was while Giles got everything ready in London for their arrival. At the time Angel had been busy dealing with his own affairs and they hadn't really had anytime to talk which let her cookie dough analogy hanging between them. She knew she had led him on somewhat, that it would be he she turned to, when she was “done baking,” that was now not true. Angel would always be a friend and only that even if he got to fulfill his Shansu and become human, she could never feel for him the way she felt for Spike. When everyone else had always left, Spike had stuck by her side. When he had left for Africa, she had been glad knowing that they didn't need to be near each other. He had come back, she felt everything but the anger that she should have been, she was glad that he was back, had been happy even. Dammit she was going to start thinking about everything again and then she would be in the bathroom throwing up. She would deal with Angel when and if they had a chance but she wouldn't think about it anymore, until the time came. Laying her head back she finally found some much needed sleep and didn't wake until they were getting ready to land in LA.

Walking outside in the balmy night air, she was surprised to see Angel waiting for them at the end of the concourse. Dawn who had never thought much of Angel dropped her bags with relief and started looking around for a luggage cart. Angel didn't pay her any attention, which was quite usual and went straight to Buffy, which was also usual. Spike had always been right about Angel at least in Dawn's eyes; he was a big dumb poof. She began watching with disgust as he made over her sister, asking about her flight and London, not to mention the council and Scoobies. To Angel she was just the dumb little sister to be ignored. But dammit it all to heck, he picked up her sister's bags and didn't even bother getting Dawn's and she was the one having trouble carry things, which yeah it was her own fault for packing too much. However, he could at least ask so that she could give him the satisfaction of telling him to go back to whichever hell he had crawled from. Finally finding a cart she hefted her bags on it and made her ahead of them and toward the luggage carousel finding her bags easily and putting them on top. Stupid cart was heavy with just the two but she was in no way going to look like she couldn't handle it though she wanted to scream with frustration when she could barely get the thing to budge. Thinking of Spike and how proud he would be of her for not asking the Poof's help Dawn pushed with all her might, finally getting the thing to move, she followed Buffy and Angel out to Angel's huge old convertible. Throwing her bags in the trunk with such force that the car actually shook she climbed in the back relishing in the fact that her sister was showing the "You're really pissing me off" face, Good. For added measure she added Peaches under her breath knowing that Buffy would hear, probably Angel too, know they would know where she stood.

What was Dawn's deal? Yes, I know you don't like Angel, but this is only for a few days. It's not like I'm going to fall in love with him all again and completely forget you. Or that I'm going to forget Spike so yes I know what the Peaches comment was about, damn Spike and his influence on her sister. It came to her then that's what the anger was about; her sister didn't want her to be unfaithful to Spike's memory. She wished she could tell her sister that would never happen. That she would rather live out her life without him than trying to replace him, like that could ever happen anyway there was and would only ever be one Spike. Looking back at her sister smiled and mouthed, "I miss him too." Buffy hoped that would be at least a little comfort to her sister while they were in Angel's company.

Sitting in the front seat Buffy decided to relish in the convertible and the clear beautiful California night. Man she couldn't believe that she had actually missed palm trees of all things. She now lived in one of the most historical cities in the world yet this place of chaos and debauchery felt like home and probably always would. She smiled at Angel, who for once was not saying much of anything. He just glanced at her from time to time and smiled a sweet and somewhat sad smile.

"I've decided to stay at the Hyperion with you so that we can catch up on some things while you're here." He didn't know where that came from, that wasn't supposed to be part of the plan.

"Might not even go into the office, unless you have your meeting? How would you guys like to do some shopping while you're here, just consider me your chauffeur, course it would have to be at night? What do you think Dawn, want me to chauffeur you around shopping?" Now they would know that something was different, he knew he had never had the chance to get to know Dawn, Buffy and never-ending apocalypses had always taken all of the time. What was he trying to suck up for? He had told Spike that he could have Buffy but he just couldn't bring himself to hand her over to him. Maybe she would wind up leaving before she got the chance to see him. If he was really honest with himself that is why he had decided to stay at the Hyperion rather than his apartment. The less of a chance Buffy had of seeing Spike the better, he didn't know for whom but it had to be better.

"Nah., thanks for the offer but if I have to haul anything else back to London its going to be a hefty bank balance, besides Buffy would shoot me if I bought any more clothes." Still sitting with her arms folded across her chest she was actually in awe that Angel spoke to her, let alone remembered his name, stupid Ponce.

Buffy smiled, glad that they were at least being civil to one another. Something that Buffy had always known was the animosity between the two, once upon a time she would have thought it was because Angel was a vampire, but after seeing her sister with Spike she knew that wasn't the case. If she wouldn't have known Spike's feelings for her, she would have probably of dusted him for the relationship that he had with her sister.

Conversation was easier after that. Angel still tried to suck up to Dawn, Dawn still not giving an inch, and Buffy for the first time in a while was laughing at their antics. It wasn't long before they arrived at the Hyperion which was deserted due to the late hour. Angel showed them up to their rooms and even did help Dawn carry her many bags teasing her along the way. Leaving them at their doors he went to his old suite trying hard not to be here and miss Cordy, he knew that he would get no rest tonight for wanting her beside him.