Chapter Seven - Permission Granted

Spike was fit to be tied and wondering the long corridors of Wolfram and Heart did nothing to alleviate the problem, it only made him more restless and eager for any information that he could get his hands on, not just about when Buffy was coming, but if anyone had run across anything that would make him corporeal again. Angel had come back a few hours ago from who knows where and had immediately locked himself in his office with strict orders he was not to be disturbed, then had one of the company witches put a spell on the door that even he couldn't get through. He hadn't known about that little addition until he had tried to follow the green guy into Angel's office not more than fifteen minutes ago and hit a barrier at the door, which Angel promptly slammed in his face. Dammit he wanted to know what they were talking about, if it wouldn't have been for that damned spook trying to drag him to hell he would have been whole by now and just able to barge in wherever and whenever he wanted. Bloody hell, he was turning just as broody as Peaches. He had to find a way to live again before it tore him in two. Maybe science girl had something as far as info she could give him, the little chit was sweet, never looking down her nose at him and was the only real one out of the group that was starting to treat him as if he was a decent enough bloke. Besides he wanted someone to talk to and she always seemed ready for a little tete a tete even if it was just to study him for the sake of science. If Buffy wouldn't have been the love of his unlife he could actually see himself falling for the girl.

Rounding the corner he heard Angel and Gunn's voice coming from another hallway, but luckily they were walking away from him instead of toward. He could actually do a little reconnaissance work if he stayed far enough away that they wouldn't see if. Being a spook today was looking up, and one of the perks he had tested was that with being all ghostly was that Angel couldn't sense him as he could before. Luckily his vamp hearing still worked just as well as ever, staying ten paces behind them he listened and waited for any information that would alleviate the ache in his heart.

"So how are the Slayer and her sister settling into the Hyperion?"

" Fine, but you would know this if you hadn't of moved out."

"Yeah, but it doesn't look good for the image if I'm leaving out of a run down hotel. We have to keep up appearances, and there's nothing wrong with my condo."

"I guess I just don't like the group spread out anymore, it makes me edgy. Everyone is more vulnerable and easily accessible and we still don't know why the senior partners have set us up, rather too well."
"I get your point man, but having my own place for once is kind of nice, and so is the extra bonus for winning cases. I'm just trying to play the game let you suggested we all do when we first got here."

It seemed to Spike like there was a little upheaval in the ranks. Seems like the fellow was leaning more to the opposing side, and he had a feeling that Angel knew it too. Gunn was playing the so-called game just a little too well if you asked him, but exactly what game was he playing. A bloke could only play both sides for long before one or the other demanded the fealty that wasn't in the rules. Hearing that Buffy was in town and at the Hyperion though did make his heart race, at least it would of if it would have been whole.

Stopping and pondering the fact that if he wouldn't he could go and see her; he didn't notice Gunn and Angel picking up their paces. Angel had seen Spike out of the corner of his eye when he had rounded a corner earlier and had started the conversation leading Gunn without his knowledge into about the Hyperion and the girls being there. They wouldn't understand if they knew that he was going to help Spike, dammit he didn't even understand himself. For the present moment he was feeling kind of protective of the little bastard kind of like way back in the day. He hated the actions of his grandchilde and would gladly sometimes want a stake in his heart, but that didn't mean that he wanted anyone doing the staking besides him. If it came right down to it, he would even fight Buffy to save Spike's sorry ass, though the way things were looking right now, it was more likely that his grandchilde was going to get sucked into hell and there was nothing they could do about it, at least not yet. Fred had not been able to come up with anything since Spike had given up the one chance they had come up with. He hoped that Spike wouldn't be stupid enough though as to not take any care in approaching Buffy.

He had loved seeing her when she had gotten off the plane, it was her distance from him that had him chomping at the bit, she had always been able to open up to him before, but this Buffy was totally new to him, just as cookie dough analogy Buffy had been different. She was more mature, and harder, she smiled with her face but yet it never reached her eyes. All her eyes held were pain and sadness, something he had hoped to never again see in her eyes. The night she had sent him to hell he had lived with her eyes just like that for what in hell and been an eternity. He would work on recorporealizing his childe and that was all he could do. Bringing the light back in Buffy's eyes was up to Spike now, he just hoped that they would be happy for as long as they had together.

Spike had been standing in the same spot for a good ten minutes staring at the carpet when black wing tips came into view. Shit what did he want, wasn't it enough that he had gotten to spend time with Buffy, that he was alive, well not technically. He was waiting for it, the snide comments about how he couldn't be with her without scaring her off her gourd, couldn't see niblet for the same reasons.

"Well get it over with, I've got people to scare you know." Spike raised his head to look defiantly into his grandsire's eyes.

"Spike you couldn't scare anyone least of all the people around here, they run because you're depressing not frightening. And get what over with precisely, you make it sound like I have nothing better to do that to give you the time of day, well think again Clorox."

Just being near him made Angel want to tear Spike's heart out with his bear hands, why did the man have such a way as to making him pissed, if he wasn't so pathetic and solid matter he would probably try to do just that.

"I'm not here to fight with you. She's there if you want to see her, I won't stop you. Take heed though boy, you hurt her more than what she is, and I will make hell look like a paradise body or not." Turning on his heel he strode away to the elevator and back to his office and for a stiff drink. Trying hard not to think of the amazement and joy that had crept into Spike's eyes before the somewhat vamp and turned and fled running faster than he had ever before.