Disclaimer: None of the BTVS characters belong to me but to the creator Joss Whedon and his Mutant Enemy partners. Curses!

~~**~~^~~**~~

He slept for almost ten hours straight in her room in her bed. Her scent was everywhere, surrounding him, engulfing him in a bittersweet turmoil. He knew she was nearby at a constant. He could sense her even though he slept; the abilities of being a creature of the night. He was still very emotionally drawn to her; that would never change no matter what. Yet he was slightly confused of the change in her attitude towards him; caring, sensitive, regarding him in an all too surreal way. He would tuck it away safely and try not to dwell on it too much. If he did, his hopes would soar to another level, only to be dashed by something unexpected, he was sure of it.

Other humans were shuffling about the Summers' house as well. Some he knew very well; some were new to him. He felt power close by, knew there was strength in numbers but also felt the fear ebbing around them as well. He felt a tinge of fear himself and wondered if Buffy had told these new people about him. He would be sure to ask her when he fully awoke from his long nap. He felt her close by.

Upon opening his eyes, he heard breathing and a strong heartbeat nearby. Spike was surprised when he turned his head and found himself gazing into her hazel eyes. They stared at one another for a while, both releasing their tensions, pains, and fears through each other. She smiled at him.

"Hey," she softly said.

"Hey. How long have you been here?"

She sat up and turned on the bed so she could face him, knees pulled up to her chest while crossing her legs at the ankles and hugging them close.

"Oh, not very long. Thought I'd come up and check on you seeing that you've been knocked out for almost half a day. You look like you're healing pretty good."

"As good as my vampire body can I---Buffy?" He lifted his head and squinted as he stared at her intensly.

"What? What's wrong?"

"What happened to you? What got a hold of you?"

She lifted her hand up and lightly touched the large gash above her eye. "Oh, you mean besides running into a brick wall? Well, actually I was thrown into it repeatedly but it had the same effect. Some super, and may I just add, butt ugly vampire got the better of me---for now, or then. Because he got the brunt of my pain the next time we crossed paths."

Spike dropped his head back down with exasperation.

"Ugh, the same bastard that had it's heyday with me. Buffy---I think I was the one that brought that "thing" here. My blood---it opened that portal thingamajig---in the school basement. Me---it was here because of me. One more thing you can mark me down for on the list of 'bloody ignorant things Spike has accomplished since coming to Sunnydale'."

"Hey,---hey, don't be so harsh on yourself. You didn't go and open that portal on your own. You were taken, tied up and----cut open." Her voice trailed off.

"But I was weak, I let it get into my head and allowed it to make me do things---," he swallowed hard, trying to bite back the urge to gag upon remembering the killing spree he had unknowingly accomplished. He stared into her questioning eyes as he reached out and touched her arm.

"I'm just---I'm really---Buffy, I'm sorry---for everything." His voice cracked with emotion and was barely loud enough for her to hear. "Buffy, I mean *everything*." He pulled his hand back as if he touched something hot and turned his gaze away.

"Spike---."

Someone knocked on the door interrupting the moment. Buffy sighed loudly before making her way to the door and opening it. Xander stood on the other side holding a mug in his hand.

"Giles wanted to talk to you about the girls and I brought up some blood--- for Spike."

Buffy must have looked surprised at the gesture because he gave her a "What" look. She crossed her arms and smirked, motioning with her head to come into the room.

"He's right over there. I better go see what Giles wants."

Xander watched her leave the room, slightly hesitating before walking over to the bedside. Spike had been watching his every move, a little worried that Harris was being semi nice to him. Xander set the mug on the table and cleared his throat.

"Thought you might need something more to eat, since you've been out for almost 12 hours. Buffy says you need to get your strength back and heal so you'll be strong enough and capable enough to help us."

Spike eyed him warily as he tried to sit up, his cracked ribs shooting an indescribable pain through him. He moaned and gritted his teeth. Xander reacted.

"Here, let me help you."

Xander stuffed a couple of pillows behind Spike and hefted him up closer to them so that he was sitting up slightly, then handed the warmed blood to him. Spike still remained wary as he looked into the mug.

"Thanks," Spike mumbled.

"Sure," Xander replied as he walked back to the door.

"Harris---Xander?" Xander turned to stare at the beaten vampire propped up in Buffy's bed.

"I really mean it, thanks. I don't understand---why you, of all people, are being nice to me. But I'm not going to knock it; I don't have the mental strength to do so. No cocky comebacks to serve." He smirked.

"I trust Buffy. I trust her judgment. If she thinks we need you to defeat this First and it's minions, then I believe she knows what she is talking about. Just hear this; I still do not like you but I will put up with you. If that means fighting alongside you to defeat this evil, I'm all for it. So whatta ya' say? Truce? At least for the time being?"

Spike continued to stare at him. He nodded. "Truce then."

Xander nodded in confirmation and headed out once again.

"Hey, can I ask you a favor then?"

"Depends," Xander said, snippily.

"Sometime later, tonight perhaps, can you help me set up some kind of residence back in the basement? I believe there's a cot stored down there somewhere. I think Buffy needs her bed back. She looks like she hasn't slept in over a week."

"Well, you're almost right about that. She's hard headed, won't listen to any of us when we tell her to get some rest. Uh---I hate asking this, but-- -maybe you can say something to her? She may listen to you---for once."

"I can try," Spike mumbled.

"OK then, I will get something set up for you." They both nodded towards one another once again before Xander walked out of the bedroom.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Buffy noticed Xander's descent into the basement and didn't hesitate to follow him. When she reached the bottom of the steps, she found him searching around the shelves, looking for something.

"Can I help you find something?"

Xander, of course, jumped almost completely out of his skin.

"Don't *do* that." He shook his hands in the air with agitation. "With all these evilnesses running around us, you could give a person a heart attack being the stealthy person you are."

"Ooh, sorry, Xander. Wasn't meaning to be sneaky girl. Just curious to know what you're up to. Uh---what *are* you up to?"

"Ah, Spike asked if I would set up a room down here for him, you know, he has a thing with basements I think. Maybe it comes with the whole creature of the night package or something. Anyway, he mentioned that there was a cot stored down here somewhere."

"Yeah, and he would know," she concludedm looking around the basement shelves. "I have a better idea, though. There's a mattress set stored up in the back of mom's closet. Wanna help me bring it down? I mean, you know, since he still is hurt, he should be comfortable while he's healing, right?"

"Whatever you say, Buffy. Let's go get it then."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Once the sun had set, Buffy had made her way back up to her room to find Spike sitting on the edge of the bed and pulling one of his new t-shirts over his head in slow motion. The grimace on his face told Buffy he was still in a lot of pain, but he at least was moving around much better.

"You can come in, you know, since it is your room and you're just standing there in the doorway anyway." He said matter-of-factly.

Buffy pushed the door open all the way and walked in further, standing in the middle of the room, arms crossed, head tilted.

"What are you doing?" She tried to ask sternly.

"What's it look like? Getting dressed so I can get up and move around. Can't keep this vampire down for very long. Sides, I go stir crazy if I don't do something even if it *is* just to walk around the room for a bit."

"Sure you up for some action---I mean physical---exertion. Oh God, never mind." Buffy rolled her eyes and looked away from the smirking vampire.

"Yes, Buffy, I'm feeling pretty good right about now. Besides, I think I want to take a shower, need to take one. The dip I was forced to take in that cave didn't amount to a very pleasant bath not to say a little tough on the lungs, undead or not."

"What do you mean?" Her face grew concerned.

"That super vamp, it tried to drown me between beatings." His voice shifted.

"But---you can't be---can you? I thought since vampires don't breath---."

"Doesn't mean we can't drown---especially with the involuntarily breathing sometimes. Kinda fills up the lungs fairly quick." He looked down at the floor staring at his bare feet.

Buffy sat down on the bed next to him. "I'm---wow, that had to be horrible. I should know about drowning. After the Master bit me, he dropped me into a puddle of water and left me there, face down. If it hadn't been for Xander---well, let's just say we wouldn't be sitting here talking right now."

"I think I've heard about that one before. Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on Harris so much anymore." He glanced at her sideways.

"Yeah, well sometimes he has it coming." They both chuckled. They sat there for a bit in total silence. Buffy stood and started towards the door.

"So, we, Xander and I, got a bed set up in the basement for you. If you want to take a shower, feel free to do so." She patted the pile of clothes sitting on the chair next to the door.

"These are for you. I know some of them might not be your "style". You will have to deal with them until you can get your own, I guess."

"No, they're fine, really, thanks. I think I will grab the shower. I'm not going to get accidentally staked if I walk downstairs, will I?"

"No, not unless you make any sudden moves." Buffy smiled at him. "They all know about you. You might get stares but other than that, no one will stake you. I'll see you down there then."

"Yeah, oh, and Buffy? You should get some sleep. You really need your rest to be able to fight this thing. I can keep a lookout, you know, if any baddie tries to attack."

"You're in no condition right now to fight anyone---especially me."

"Well, I figured as much. Knew you'd be stubborn."

"I am *not* stubborn. I just---."

"You really need to get some sleep Buffy. You don't want to slip up not when everyone is counting on you as an inerrant leader."

"Ok, ok, I will *try* to get some rest. Happy now?"

"Pleased as Punch."

"Go get a shower."

TBC