Disclaimer: Whoever said these characters I use in my story are mine better be 'splaining to Mr. Whedon who really owns them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ch. 2

Morning came to find all the inhabitants of the house sitting around the table for breakfast; all except one. At 7:01 his place setting was cleared away while the others quietly sat and ate their waffles, sausage, eggs and toast. At 7:17, Spike decided to bless them with his company, hair all messed up, eyes half way closed and yawning. He sat down and realized no one seemed to be looking at him this time and was silent for about a minute before asking, "Do I get my own breakfast?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, William. Breakfast is promptly served at 7 a.m." He looked at his pocket watch. "By the looks of it, it is now 7:19. You have missed breakfast." Giles went back to reading his paper.

"Bloody hell, I'm going back to bed," he grumbled getting out of his chair.

"Dinner is served at 7 p.m. Do try to be here on time."

"Is there a time for lunch?" he asked sarcastically.

"No, you can go to the kitchen for your lunch anytime between 12 and 2 p.m. Cook keeps the cupboard well stocked and fresh fruit on hand for snacking between meals. Anything you want, in moderation mind you."

"Great." he mumbled.

"And William, do respect my schedule."

He stood there for a bit looking over the group sitting and eating diligently in silence. Buffy finally looked up at him with contempt in her eyes. He smirked at her before turning to leave.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

7:05 that evening, Spike tore into the dining room almost taking the door off the hinges as he rushed in. He stood looking at the place setting in front of his chair but there was nothing there.

"Oh, come on. I'm only five minutes late. I fell asleep. Give a vamp a break." Buffy was amazed to hear a vampire whining like Spike was currently showcasing.

"I'm sorry, William. Dinner is promptly at 7 p.m. You are to be in your seat at the table at 7. Not 7:01 nor 7:05."

Spike pushed the chair into the table with a loud thump and growled. Buffy stood up swiftly but Giles motioned for her to sit back down with a wave of his hand. He clasped his hands in his lap and sat back looking at the upset vampire.

"No one else seems to have a problem with the rules around here, my dear boy. I think that maybe you need to adjust your schedule to fit mine."

Spike looked ready to burst a gasket. "I'm going out."

"Remember," Giles interrupted, "Doors are locked at 11 p.m."

"Bloody brilliant," he muttered on his way out of the dining room.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Buffy opened the front door to retrieve the morning paper and saw him huddled tightly in a shaded corner of the porch.

"Didn't make it home before 11, huh?" she condescendingly addressed the crouching form.

He slid up the wall slowly and pushed past her hard. "Get the hell out of my way."

"Rude much? Oh, by the way, the dining room is the other direction. You have five minutes. Better hurry if you want anything for that belly that I can hear grumbling all the way over here."

Spike continued to walk the opposite way, gesturing to her with two fingers before slamming his bedroom door behind him.

Surprisingly, Spike walked into the dining area at 7 on the dot.

"Good morning, William. Glad to see you could join us." Giles proclaimed sincerely.

"I was awake anyway. Thought I could use a bite to eat, but none of you looked like you would taste very good."

Giles chuckled and Spike was surprised to hear it.

Giles looked at him and announced, "I have it scheduled for you and Buffy to train together this morning. I really want you to start patrolling with the group tonight."

"Mind if I get some shut eye first?" he asked between gulps of warmed blood.

"Training is at 8, after breakfast. Sleep is at nighttime." Giles replied matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, well, you see last night I was up…" Giles interrupted the vampire’s need for excuses.

"Training at 8, sleep at night. Adjust your schedule, please."

"Alright, alright, train at 8, sleep at night. I get it already." Spike groused while finishing off his breakfast.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Spike and Buffy had a good workout for a good solid hour, and he found out that he indeed enjoyed sparring with her. They were equal in strength, she quite resourceful and playful, he clever and witty.

As they headed down the hall to their respective quarters, he seriously asked her, "So, tell me why you really don't like me."

"You're a pig…and you’re rude and disrespectful towards Giles. Anyone who treats him in that way usually feels a vast amount of pain or doesn't live very long," she threatened.

"Hmph," he snorted.

"Look, we’re all a family here and none of us really care about you. But for some reason, the Doc has taken to you."

"Jealous?" he snipped.

"Hardly. You see, we respect him and look up to him. He’s always taken care of us and treats us all fairly and equally no matter what or who we are. If anybody or any thing threatens my family…" She pulled out a stake and started twirling it around her fingers.

"I get your point." He was beginning to like this girl a lot.

She walked away leaving him standing alone.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Spike found himself pacing in front of the Dr.'s study, stopping every once in a while to look at the door. Finally, he walked up to it and raised his knuckles to knock, but stopped in midair. He let out a frustrated groan and proceeded.

"Come in," the familiar voice called from the other side.

It took him a second or two to gather his nerve before entering but when he finally slipped in, he was greeted to a friendly smile.

"Ah, William. What can I do for you today?"

"I just, uh, I needed to talk to you," he stuttered.

"Of course, always here to listen and help."

"I don't understand you. Why are you so bloody nice to me at times and at other times scolding me like a child?" Spike looked at the Dr. in wonder.

Giles stood slowly and walked around his desk. "I know you very well, William. I know because I used to be just like you when I was…younger. I didn't have a care in the world, I treated people disrespectfully and I didn't care. I had no family, no friends. I was a loner and I was lonely. When I turned 25, I decided to go to school."

Spike was surprised. "Why?"

"I almost died," Giles answered.

Spike shook his head and looked down. "I did."

Giles continued. "Yes…but you see, and here is where it gets spectacular, you've been given a second chance at living even if it is as a vampire with a soul. You had a choice to make at what side to fight on. You chose to be noble, to help others. I have already given you what I can to help you along."

"What, a roof over my head, a telly in my room, blood for my belly?" Spike queried.

"Acceptance, respect, and love."

Spike remained speechless for a bit. He pushed his hands into his pockets and looked at his shoes feeling a little ashamed and embarrassed.

Giles broke the silence. "I will treat you equally here. No one is better than the other. I expect nothing less in return, and I never give up on anybody."

Spike lifted his head and stared at the good Dr., eyes brimming with tears yet not really wanting to show his emotions in front of a human.

Giles placed a hand on Spike's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "I have faith in you, William."

"You know none of the others like me or can stand me?" he replied honestly.

"Prove they're wrong, prove your worth. Make them trust you by doing what’s right."

"Thanks…and I'm sorry for the way…"

Giles waved his hand in the air. "Already forgotten. Now go on. I believe you have some training to do."

Spike smiled slightly and turned to leave.

"Oh, William…you are most welcome. My door is always open."

"I'll remember that…and this."

To be continued