A/N: This is something that just popped in my head. Kind of like the X-men but in a different form and dimension. Let me know what you think. Reviews are a necessity to feed my pool of imagination. Above all, enjoy the story.

Disclaimer: Whoever said these characters I use in my story are mine better be 'splaining to Mr. Whedon who really owns them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ch. 3

The evening approached quickly, and once the sun set, Spike was eager to get out of the house. He was not the type that could stay cooped up all day, whether he had started enjoying the company he kept and the routine of things or not, he would never admit to it. Well, probably never.

After dinner, which Spike showed up in time for, a habit he quickly embraced and never withdrew from, they met in Giles' study to stock up on weapons and to plan their strategies. Spike could not believe how organized and detailed everything was; it all really made him laugh. He was the “jump in and get ‘em” kind of fighter, quite different than this motley crew. Mind, he wasn't complaining because at least he got to join the fray and do some damage to a lot of demons. Something he lived, or died for.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

They were patrolling one of the cemeteries when they came across a band of ten or twelve vampires, some fledglings, most not. The group hung back, exacting a plan of attack; they would surround them and surprise the vampires with an ambush.

Spike, who was standing alongside a crypt, could hear the slayer talking to the vamps. He was getting antsy, standing there with his back against the wall, gripping the handle on his sword tighter and tighter. He was supposed to wait for his cue. 'Yeah, whatever,' he thought. He jumped the gun, knowing that he would, and came bounding out, blade swinging, bellowing his battle roar. Buffy jumped back instantly, eyes widening just as she got clocked in the chin by one of the little ones.

By the time the others made it out to join, Buffy was pinned to the ground by two of the stronger vampires. Thank goodness her friends were more aware of this than that idiot vampire with a soul. Xander and Dawn pulled the vamps away from the slayer and dusted them immediately. Anya tossed one to the ground when suddenly Spike jumped around and staked it before she could pull her weapon out. The job was done.

Spike stood there, sword sheathed, stake back in hiding, lighting a cigarette in a cool and suave demeanor. As he took his first drag, he released the smoke slowly as he noticed all the faces glaring at him.

"What?" his brows rose while he looked them over in mock astonishment.

"What do you mean what? What happened back there? There was a plan. A plan we all diligently were to follow, but in your haste you seemed to have forgotten? You could have gotten any one of us hurt or worse, killed." Buffy ridiculed him.

"Oh, quit your belly aching. I got the job done. We won, end of story."

Buffy walked over to him, pulled the cigarette out of his mouth, and threw it down, crushing it under her boot heel. "Listen here, you, you, vampire. We work as a team. A team that is made up of seven, count them, seven warriors. Not one and oh, she might get a few dusted. Seven. And you have the audacity to come barreling in, sword a-swinging, just to see how many notches you can tally up and put in your belt? Not how it's done in this family."

"Family? I'm not a part of this family," he growled, hands on his hips and glaring at the tiny slayer.

"You never will be if you keep it up. I don't care what you are but you better have a quick attitude adjustment or you might be on the other end of this pointy stick,” Buffy warned him.

The others all turned and left him standing there feeling dejected but not showing it. He didn't know whether to be pissed or sorry for his actions. He lifted his head to the heavens and sighed out loud, "Bugger."

He would definitely have to sort out his feelings later.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

The weeks went by without any incident and Spike put his cheeky attitude in the back seat. Normal patrols, normal demons and vampires and nothing out of the ordinary.

Spike was beginning to enjoy his stay at what he now called home. Tara, Anya, Willow and Dawn were now considered amongst his friends. They hung out on their free time, played cards, talked, watched TV. He got to know all four young ladies really well and fell for each and every one of them. Though none of them were his "type", he found that he had come to care for them easily and craved their companionship daily.

A deep loneliness had crept upon him while he had been staying there; a void that could not be filled by these wonderful lady friends. His mind would often play games with him when it was filled with thoughts of the slayer girl. He knew she hated him with a passion but he, on the other hand, was slowly and passionately falling for her, a much different feeling than he had for the other females who lived under the same roof. He enjoyed working out with her, watching her fight and whenever he saw her or heard her, his undead heart would leap out of his chest. He started feeling nervous around her, and acting shy and he hated that it was turning him into a bleeding ponce. He mentally kicked himself often to remember it wasn’t the 19th century anymore and he wasn’t his sappy human self to be sure.

On a nightly patrol a few weeks later, the group had been hit pretty hard in one of the local cemeteries. It just happened to be by far the worst attack on them that they had ever faced. All seven were bloodied and bruised, and Anya lay on the ground unconscious. The witches were working on different protection spells while Buffy, Dawn and Spike used their muscle. Xander was being pummeled by three burly demons and was on the verge of being brutally beaten or worse. Buffy saw this and not being able to do anything about it, she cried out his name.

Spike had just beheaded his attacker when he heard the anguish in her voice. Looking around he noticed why. As swift as an eagle, he propelled off a headstone and flew through the air landing on two of the three. He jumped up and impaled both of them at the same time. Instantly, the demons turned into goo but Spike took no notice as he quickly wrapped his arm around the other demons head and snapped it forcefully. He picked Xander up off the ground and made sure he was breathing just when Buffy got the chance to run over to them.

"Xander, are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, alright. Never better. If you see my spine lying around here anywhere, just don't step on it.” He turned his attention back to Spike. “Thanks man. I would’ve been a goner if it weren't for you."

"Not a problem, mate. Looked like you had a bit more than you could handle at the time. Couldn't let you get ripped to shreds. You're the only one who can play a decent game of billiards." Spike teased.

Xander looked at him. "We've never played together before. I've only played with the Doc."

"I know, I've watched. Doesn't mean I didn't want to play." Spike was surprisingly, even to himself, letting his emotions show.

"Well, then, I guess tomorrow we'll have to get together and shoot some pool."

"You're on, mate."

Buffy crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. "Ah, how nice. Male bonding."

Xander slapped Spike on the back and walked over to check on the others as Buffy looked at Spike until he noticed and stared back. She timidly lowered her eyes to look at her feet.

"Thanks, you did good tonight. Good fight."

"You, too. Good fight." He sounded like a wanker but he didn’t really care at the moment. She was actually being nice to him and paying him a compliment.

Suddenly, a huge puff of thick green putrid smelling smoke billowed in between the group and Spike grabbed Buffy by the shoulders to pull her closer to him just out of habit of protecting a member of his new family.

A very tall, very dark cloaked figure appeared where the fog had been just moments before. It did not speak as it hovered merely inches off the consecrated ground. They all stood and watched in silence when a booming, eerie voice seemed to come from elsewhere.

"I see you have bested my minions. There will be more. I will have you joining me soon enough. Be ready. I'm watching you, slayer.” He left as quickly as he came and Buffy looked up at Spike. He sensed her nervousness and just shrugged his shoulders.

"Nothing we can't handle. Let's all go home, get cleaned up, doctored up and get some much needed rest."

Buffy couldn't help feeling a little bit scared. She knew this creature was strong from the research they were doing on him to try and find the one and only way to get rid of the beast before it was too late.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

TBC