A/N Thanks for such nice reviews. This is one of my fav. fics by far.

Disclaimer: None of the characters are mine, of course. They were made by Joss Whedon and all those many affiliates who have control over them. I'm just using them for my wicked plans.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ch. 4

The following morning, Giles set up a meeting to discuss the unexpected visitor that had showed up out of the blue following their intense battle the night before. He was worried that the dark evil had finally shown himself and was preparing to wage war on the earth. They had to act fast if they were to accomplish anything, most importantly saving the planet.

Giles was also concerned that Buffy's life was now at stake. The creature had threatened them all but she was the one named in its idle threats. Would she be the main target? Giles knew it wouldn't stop until it got what it wanted and he had the task before him to inform her she would be keeping a low profile and that Spike was going to be her bodyguard. Her outrage was evident as he voiced his concerns as well as his wishes but Buffy would have to wait until Giles finished before she could express her opinions. She already knew it wouldn't do any good to fight his decision. She really wanted to know why Spike was chosen as her “protector”.

Giles wrapped up the meeting, and opened the floor for further suggestions or questions. Buffy, of course, was the first to contribute.

"I'm not going to complain about staying low but why, though, did you choose Spike to stay here with me?"

Giles smiled. "I believe William to be equal in strength with you. He has a better chance to help take down any opponent that may try to harm you or kidnap you."

She glanced over at Spike and noticed he was trying to hide a proud smirk. It vanished though when he quickly raised his head and stared back at her, waiting for her acceptance.

"OK." Buffy shrugged her shoulders and looked away indifferently. Spike beamed as he jumped for joy in the inside.

Giles continued as he informed the group he had also decided to join the patrol team and that they would be doing double duty with the research. Time was of the essence.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Buffy would never admit it to anybody, especially to the arrogant vampire, but the following nights spent at home with Spike ended up being rather enjoyable. Their friendship blossomed right in front of them as they spent that time talking, playing games and watching movies on the telly. Spike was in heaven, or at least the closest he could get to heaven. He knew now that he was hopelessly lost on the girl. She had stolen his heart. Yet he wasn't going to be the one to make the first move for fear of ruining any chances he may have. He knew deep down there was no possible way this woman would ever return his feelings.

One night after dinner, Buffy was feeling anxious so she walked to Spike's room and knocked on his door. He opened it instantaneously, greeting her with nothing on but a pair of faded blue jeans, top button undone. She couldn't form words while a flush of heat rose up her neck and engulfed her face. He stood and just looked at her for a long, antagonizing moment with those dancing bright blue eyes.

"You need something, Slayer?" He drawled out sinuously.

"Uh, I, um well, you see, we…" She was stuttering like a complete idiot.

He knew she was looking him over and he smiled coyly.

"Hey," he snapped his fingers in front of her face. "Buffy, is something wrong?"

She came around with a jolt and stared into his eyes, blinking constantly.

"Oh…I was wondering if you might want to…with me, uh, I mean train with me…down in the training room? You know train, spar, a bit before bed. I mean my bed, my bedtime, before I go to bed, to sleep."

"Ah, you mean you feeling like a bit of the rough and tumble, do ya'?"

"What? No, training, just training. I'm all worked up. From not being able to patrol. I need to relieve some tension…from not being able to patrol."

"You said that already, luv. And rough and tumble is another word for…wrestling. Are you sure you're alright, pet?"

"Yes, fine. Just anxious to get back out and fight some demons."

Spike grabbed a t-shirt and pulled it on. "Let's go dance then."

He glanced at her sideways and gave her a sly smile.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

The others had been patrolling for about a week with not a peep from the dark underlord. They had also been researching constantly and we're dismayed they could not find anything to use against this impure evil. They kept their hopes high that something or someone would come along and shed some light on the matter.

They were out patrolling one particular night when they came across a group of the same demons they had encountered the time their foe showed up, only now there were close to 20 of them. About five minutes after the gang spotted them, six of the demon minions headed off in another direction.

Spike and Buffy were lounging in the rec room watching a movie together when the cell phone that Spike remembered to bring with him began to ring. The two looked at each other in surprise as he answered it. Xander on the other end informed Spike they needed him to search for the small group of minions that got away from them. He hung up and tossed the phone across the table.

"What's happening?" Buffy anxiously asked. Spike shook his head as if to tell her not to worry.

He rushed down the hallway to his room and Buffy tried to keep up with him. “Spike, just tell me.”

"Six of those nasty buggers took off. The gang is facing off with about 15 or more of them right now. I gotta go catch the ones that got away before they get too far."

He grabbed his stuff out of his room and headed back out, Buffy hot on his tail.

"Do you think they need any help?" she asked enthusiastically.

He stopped abruptly and turned, which caused her to slam up against his body. She looked up into his face, her body leaning against him, their noses almost touching. He tweaked the tip of her nose with his finger gently.

"You stay, I go. You will be safer here. I'll be right back."

He fluidly slid on the black leather duster, shimmied the leather strap of the back scabbard and sword over his head and tightened the buckle. Inside his jacket were pockets where there were never any before. In them, he carried six wooden stakes, three on each side. He tied the dagger sheath around his thigh and concealed it with his duster.

"Please, let me come with you." Buffy felt left out at this point. She stood there bouncing on the balls of her feet.

Spike placed a strong hand on her shoulder to calm her down. "Not a chance, Slayer. You know what you were told. I’m capable of doing this on my own. You’re better off staying here, under protection of the house."

She grabbed the lapels of his coat before he turned. "You will be careful, right?" She sounded worried.

"Always am." He tried his best to sound reassuring.

"Yeah, right. Stubborn, head strong and always going in with feet and fists flying," she interjected truthfully.

"I get the job done."

"They know what you are." Her voice softened again while she tried to get her point across. "They can dust you just as easily as they can kill me."

"One less vampire in this world then, I say." He smiled slightly.

"That's not funny." Buffy slapped him on the arm. "You better come back in one, solid piece."

"I will, Slayer. I gotta run."

He spun around quickly, his duster swirling around him as he reached the door.

"Wait," Buffy called after him.

"Slayer," he growled and turned back to glare at her.

She ran up to him, threw her arms around his neck and pulled him down into a long, deep and heated kiss. He grasped her forearms to steady them before they could topple over from the impact of the flying slayer. A moment later, she pulled back a bit breathless and surprised at herself.

"Go get 'em, killer," she cheered him on breathlessly, not knowing what else to say.

He was panting, too, his eyes bright and wide. "Gone."

He walked out onto the porch pulling the door shut behind him and stood for a minute to collect his wits. "All right, then," he muttered, his voice shaky, and stepped off the porch and into the ominous night.

Buffy stood looking at the closed door, her fingers resting on her lips which were now tingling. She smiled and then it hit her. A very familiar odor. She spun around to see the same creature that had graced them with its presence over a week ago in the cemetery.

"How touching. A vampire slayer and a vampire sharing a beautiful moment before it has to gallantly ride off and save the day. I never had much use for demons that choose the side of good. I will take pleasure in destroying it; maybe even let you watch when I do."

"Over my dead body."

Buffy tried in vain to find this creature’s weakness. Somehow, it knew when she was alone and it breached all the alarms in their home to get to her. She had a bad feeling she wasn't going to get out of this one, but she would die trying.

It hissed, which eerily sounded like laughter. "In due time, slayer. In due time.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

TBC