Disclaimer: I own none of the characters involved in this story.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Ch. 6

Xander was the first to show up in the hallway. Spike was leaning against the wall where Dawn had disappeared through, forehead and palms pressed to it. Xander wasn't sure if he was sobbing or growling. He lightly grabbed Spike's shoulder and the vampire, his demon mask still on, briskly turned, rearing back and ready to strike whoever had touched him. Xander lifted his hands up and took a step back to show he wasn't there to harm him.

"Whoa, whoa, buddy. What’s going on? I couldn't get out of my room; the door was stuck or locked or something."

"It got Dawn. The lights went out and when I went to grab for her…They were too quick. Took her right through the damn wall."

“Through the wall?” Xander looked perplexed.

Anya rushed out just at the same time Giles got to them.

"What…what happened?" He had to lean over to catch his breath.

Xander placed a hand under Giles arm to support him. Spike looked defeated and stood there shaking his head.

"They got Dawn. Surprised Spike and took her quickly right through the wall." Xander filled him in.

"Damn. We're not even safe in our own home. Was it a portal of some kind, the wall?” Giles asked.

“It may have been, but I’ve never seen one in all my 100 plus years. It looked a bit like water, viscous even. I couldn’t see the part of her that passed through, just what was sticking out on this side.” Spike informed.

“I think, until we get something solved here, we should stick together as close as we can stand. It seems the beast has found a mystical way to get to us. Our technology won’t stop this thing. Grab some pillows and blankets and let's move into the study. Stay in pairs always."

"A lot of good that will do. I was the one with Dawn, me, a vampire. Yet she still got snatched away. Filthy buggers. Nothing but cowards. That bloody wanker, he's a bloody coward. Doesn't show up to do his own dirty work. If he ever does…" He looked up to the three pairs of eyes staring at him with concern. “Sorry, I’m just really pissed.”

Giles placed a reassuring hand on Spike's arm. "We need to stay as calm as possible. I know you’re angry with yourself. Don't be. I'm not blaming you or anyone. This creature, he's intelligent and quick. We need to be more. I vote no more patrolling and more research. Remember, Mr. Wainwright will be here tomorrow evening. Let's get a move on."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

The slayer and the two witches were still awake and sitting in the huge bed talking when Buffy heard a familiar scream. The entrance in the wall appeared and her sister was deposited into the room, a look of terror etched on her face.

"Dawnie!"

She was sobbing and when she heard her sister's voice, relief washed over her. She cried like she had never cried before. Buffy dropped to her knees and pulled the girl into her arms, holding her tightly and rocking her. When there were no more tears left to be shed, she pulled away from her comforting arms.

"Buffy, what’s going on here? The last thing I know, I'm walking to my room with Spike, the lights went out and I was grabbed and yanked into complete darkness. Next thing I know, I'm here with you. Buffy, I'm so scared."

"Don't be, Dawnie. We all need to be strong. Put our heads together. The others will find us soon, I know it. Giles would never let us down."

Tara and Willow were now sitting at the end of the bed waiting their turns to comfort Dawn if need be. She saw them, stood up and hugged them both.

"I'm so happy we’re all here together."

All of a sudden, the lights wavered and dimmed as the familiar acrid stench filled the room. The girls stood together, huddled closely for protection, Buffy in front.

"Good evening, dear ones. I see we have another guest in our presence. Wonderful, so very wonderful. I hope you are all comfortable. Soon, very soon, we will have three more guests joining your company. And then life will take on a different meaning for each and every one of you as well as for myself. I can assure you, it will all be quick and painless. You won't feel a thing. But then again you just may feel everything."

The room went back to normal. The disgusting odor remained for a few seconds afterwards but slowly dissipated.

"He said three. There are four left; who do you think he won't be bringing? Or worse, who do you think he’s going to kill?" Willow finished softly.

Tara thought as she rubbed Willow’s back. "It could be anyone of the guys. I'm sure Anya will be next; she has a lot of power. Giles can perform magic spells. Xander and Spike are the only ones who can't. And it seems that…that this beast is very strong with the black magicks."

Buffy mused. "Yes, but Spike has a lot a vampiric qualities, strength, speed, powerful sense of sight, hearing and smell. Maybe he's afraid of our vampire. Xander has strength and good fighting skills, but that's about all he has. God, I hope they find something and quick."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Spike was the first to wake up. He looked around and noticed Giles had fallen asleep, too. ‘So much for a lookout’, he grumbled to himself. He saw Xander and Anya's lumpy blankets but he still felt uneasy so he got up to investigate.

"GIIILLESS", he bellowed.

Giles jumped from his desk chair, hair wild, and glasses askew on his face.

"What, what, what is it?" His heart was racing and Xander had bounced up out of his makeshift bed, standing and ready to fight. Spike was now pacing furiously across the floor. He stopped to look at Giles.

"She's gone. Anya's gone. They got her as well. So help me…I am beyond words right now. Let's get this wanker, and bloody well now."

"Alright, let's simmer down. I think I’ve found a piece to the puzzle. We need a book but it's overseas and, oh, damn. I was going to have Anya teleport over there and now I can't. That was my plan."

Giles sat back down into his chair, head in his hands. Spike calmed down some when he saw how distraught Giles was and he walked over to the desk to sit on it. Taking a few calming breaths of air he didn’t rightly need, he turned and faced the Dr.

"Alright, I'm calm now. Let's go over what you've learned so far

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

All four girls were sitting on the floor, eating their breakfast when the hole in the wall appeared yet again. Anya walked in, eyes wide yet strangely calm. The girls stood and ran to her, all four enveloping her in a group hug. She was so overjoyed to see everyone there alive and unhurt when Tara grabbed her hand.

"I knew you would be coming next."

"Yes, I just wish I would have know. They got me while I was sleeping and the others were even in the same room with me. They’re very sneaky bastards whoever they are."

Buffy sighed. "Well, that leaves two more."

Anya walked towards her. "Only two? I don’t understand."

Buffy shook her head yes. "We know. That’s what we can't figure out. Let’s do our best to try and put everything together that we have come up with so far. There has to be some hidden meaning or message or something…somewhere."

Willow led them to the middle of the room and they all sat down, forming a circle.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

About the middle of the afternoon, Spike decided to take a quick break from all the reading and writing. He realized he hadn’t fed for almost 48 hours and he was beginning to feel the effects of it. Giles didn’t want him going to the kitchen alone, but Spike persuaded him, telling him he was strong enough to fend any intruder off so Giles reluctantly agreed.

On his way back to the study, a strange feeling came over him. A dreadful heaviness laced with hopelessness crept over him as he rushed down the hallway. He stopped a few feet from the door noticing it was cracked open slightly. Usually it was never kept opened at all. He slid into his vampire mask, sniffed the air and listened intently. Something was definitely wrong. He chargeed towards the study and burst through the door but there was no one. Giles and Xander were not where Spike had left them and he had only been gone 5 minutes at least.

He ran back out to the hallway and called out both of their names. The front door opened and he slid back into his human face as he stalked in that direction. A very distinguished man stood in the foyer, holding a traveling bag in each hand.

"Can I help you?" Spike asked the gentleman.

"Oh dear. You startled me. I'm here to see Dr. Giles. Is he available?"

Spike chuckled and with a slight distress in his voice said, "I’m all you’ve got, Mr. Wainwright."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

TBC

.