LATER THAT WEEK: THE LIBRARY

Buffy was sitting in the library working on her report for her honors English class on the use of symbolism in Tess of the D'Ubervilles, when she got the feeling that Spike was nearby. Actually, it was less of a feeling and more of a smelling. His cologne was very distinctive. She laughed inwardly and thought to herself, 'What is up with this guy? I clearly said 'no' to him the last time we met.'

"Don't tell me you're trying to hide from me, because trust me, I have been at this school longer than you and there is no place on the grounds that you can hide," came a familiar British accented voice from behind her.

Buffy smiled to herself then altered her smile to a straight face and turned around to look her psuedo-stalker in the eye. "I'm guessing I didn't try hard enough. I thought this was the one place you weren't likely to be, but obviously I was wrong," she stated with a sigh. "So Spike, what brings you to the library? I heard you weren't much of a studier."

"I haven't even been here but a moment and I have already pissed you off," Spike laughed.

Buffy sighed once more and held her temper. "Spike if you don't mind I'm really trying to do my homework and your presence doesn't help."

"Do I make you nervous?" Spike asked with a slight leer.

"No, but unlike you I have to work my butt off to keep my grades up and I don't have times for these little games," she replied.

"I'll have you know I work diligently to maintain my perfect 4.0 average." He smiled thinking about how he helped his average along. In reality he didn't need to resort to bribery, he was very intelligent. His problem was that he was bored and got a kick out of seeing what he could get away with. Buffy's next comment brought him out of his reverie.

"Wow, screwing the math professor on her desk doesn't seem very hard to me," she said giving him a piercing look. When he didn't say anything she rolled her eyes and turned back to her studies.

"Don't be jealous, pet," he cajoled, "she had nothing on you." Spike smirked, and sat down in the empty chair next to her. "Besides, that wasn't true, never happened," he explained. "Why don't you get to know me before you judge me? Because I'm guessing you made up your mind about me before you even talked to me," he said, reaching his hand out to push a piece of her hair behind her ear. "Come out with me and at least get acquainted with me; the real me and not what you hear people say."

"I'm guessing you don't hear 'no' very often, do you?" Buffy inquired sarcastically.

Spike just smiled his most winning smile, his blue eyes twinkling. Buffy found herself lost in his gaze for a moment, but quickly recovered her senses.

"I can't, okay? Now please just leave me alone, I need to study," she said, a little more loudly than she meant to, and forced herself to look back at her books.

"Is there a problem, Ms. Summers?" the librarian asked.

"Nope, Spike was just on his way out, weren't you, Spike," she said turning to him. It wasn't a question.

Spike stood up, his eyes still on the maddening young girl in front of him. "That's right, I was just leaving," he said, then leaned down to whisper in her ear. "This isn't over." He straightened up, turned and left the room abruptly, leaving Buffy to repress a shiver from the sensation of his breath on her neck.

* * *

A FEW DAYS LATER: THE HEADMASTER'S OFFICE

Buffy thought Spike had finally given up on her. She was equal parts relieved and disappointed. Despite herself, she had found their heated discussions stimulating, and though she was loath to admit it, she could see why so many girls had fallen prey to his charms. She was in the middle of geometry class, one of her least favorite classes, when she received a message from her father requesting her to come to his office at once. Buffy gladly left geometry and entered her father's office and notice that his secretary wasn't at her desk outside his door. She opened the door and walked in.

"Daddy, I got your message. What did you want to see me about?" Buffy asked as she entered her dad's large office. All she saw was the back of his big black leather chair. "Hello?"

Slowly the chair turned around, and there sat Spike with his hands clasped together, looking very much like the proverbial cat that ate the canary. "Sorry Buffy, but your dad couldn't make it. He and the rest of the administration are in a meeting all day."

Buffy was silent with disbelief for a moment. Finally she got out, "How did you- never mind, I don't want to know. So I'm guessing you went to this extreme to ask me out again?" Obviously Spike had gotten tired trying to find two seconds in a row that Buffy wasn't surrounded by her friends or in class. Secretly she was impressed with this little stunt to get a moment alone to talk with her, but she would never let him know.

"Got it in one, luv. I am finally able to get some alone time with you. I never realized how hard it was to get you by yourself."

"You realize you could get in trouble, right?" she asked, giving him a sidelong look.

"You're worth it."

She repressed the urge to roll her eyes. "So now that you have me alone, what do you to want, and make it fast," she commanded crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm tired of this little game between you and me. I want to spend time with you and learn more about you and I want you to learn more about me, so will you please come with me on a date, just dinner and a show."

"You are never going to give up, are you?" she asked, laughing mirthlessly. She decided being angry wasn't worth the effort and admitted defeat gracefully. For whatever his reasons, he seemed adamant on them dating.

"Buffy, I've never given up on anything in my whole life," he stated looking so confident and sexy that Buffy nearly had to reassess her viewpoint on his attractiveness.

"Fine, dinner. When?"

"Saturday good for you?"