Chapter One



Spike Harrington and his stepbrother Angelus Bradbury sat on the marble fountain in the main quad of Manchester Preparatory Academy, drinking espressos. They were both dressed the standard school uniform, black slacks and long-sleeved white shirts with black tie. Their navy blazers lay carelessly on the ledge, as did their books. The stepbrothers were cooling assessing their fellow classmates as they walked passed and gave off an aura of detachment. The girls walking by in the recently raised hem lined, plaid skirts did not proportionately raise their interest in the girls, as it did with their fellow male classmates. In fact, Spike and Angelus were all too familiar with what lay underneath the school uniforms of many of the girls walking by to get excited by two inches of leg.



Eventually Spike broke the contented silence. "Looks like I don't have to worry about my English class," Spike smirked taking a sip of his espresso.



"That explains your atypically good mood and that extra bounce in your step, dear stepbrother," the brunette boy laughed.



"I'll have you know, Angelus, I did not spend last night alone and that is why I don't have to lift a finger in my English class," Spike said with a smug expression on his face.



Angelus grinned wryly. "Hmm, what could have changed your fate? I'm guessing Professor Kendall's poor innocent little Harmony warmed your bed. Am I right?"



"As always, Angelus, you know me all too well, but she wasn't innocent and definitely wasn't a virgin." He laughed. "A little to into S&M for my taste, plus she wasn't the smartest bird in the cage. 'Oh Spike maybe later we could have dinner or just hang out,' " he said in a mocking voice. "And everything she did last night would just kill her mother, and it almost did. You should have seen her face when I showed her the pictures." A conceited smile played about his lips as he thought about the shocked women seeing her little girl trussed up like a dominatrix.



Hearing about his step brother's triumph turned Angelus' thought to the thorn in his side. "Dammit this new headmaster has been a pain in my ass. He came up to me and said 'Mr. Bradbury, I don't care who your parents are, I'm going to keep an eye on you and your stepbrother. I've heard you've been accepted to Harvard. It would be a shame if they found out you weren't the type of student they thought you were,'" he said angrily.



"How amusing, he said the same thing to me in a more threatening tone. That man is seriously deluded if he thinks a few words will have any effect on my behavior, or the admissions board at Harvard. I hear that construction of the Bradbury Athletic Center is nearly finished." Spike snickered.



"Have you met his daughter, quite possible the prissiest bitch this school has to offer. She gets all A's and she even does volunteer work in her free time." Angelus shuttered for comic effect, Spike simply smirked. "I hear she's a virgin, despite the best efforts of Parker Abrams, who, if memory serves, just dumped the chit because she wouldn't put out. And there she is," Angelus said pointing to the group of girls sitting behind a table with a sign in front that said VOULUNTEER FOR THE NYC CANCER CENTER in large block letters.



"Ah yes, quite charming with her hair done up in braids," snickered Spike.



"Despite her reputation as being a prude, general consensus is that she is eye-catching."



"You're not wrong, she is quite attractive, in a virginal, Middle America kind of way," Spike said eyeing the blond girl.



"Spike, I have a challenge for you, just to make things a little interesting around here. I bet you can't seduce and deflower the headmaster's daughter, then film you two having a good screw and use the tape to get us some leverage with her dad. She means the world to him and I believe he would be willing to do anything to keep that tape from seeing the light of day."



"At last a real challenge. What should we set as stakes?"



"If you win our little wager, I will give you my three story penthouse over looking Central Park, I know how much you loved it, but if you lose I get your mint condition, mahogany speed boat."



"My Cris-Craft?" Spike seemed to ponder this as he loved that vintage boat more than his own mother.



"What do you say William, is it a bet?" Angelus outstretched his hand.



After a moment's contemplation, Spike shook his step brother's hand and said, "You are on."



* * *



"Buffy, I think Spike Harrington and Angelus Bradbury are checking you out. I mean they've been staring over here for the past ten minutes," Cordelia whispered into her friend's ear.



Buffy just rolled her eyes. "Please Cordelia, it's Spike. He's like a lion looking for a piece of meat," she said turning her gaze to the brothers then back to Cordelia. "I don't know about you, but I'm trying to get people to volunteer for the cancer center."



"Hey then Buffy, you better watch out because said lion is prowling your way. Let's pretend to be busy," Willow said looking down at the paper work.



The object of their discussion sauntered over to the volunteering table. "Hi I'm Spike," he smiled disarmingly.



"I know who you are Spike Harrington; I think everyone knows you; even if I didn't, the stunt you pulled in the girl's locker room made you the talk of the school," Buffy said coolly and smiling condescendingly.



"Allegedly pulled. There was no proof." His azure eyes framed by sooty lashed told another story. "Besides luv, I'll have you know that you can't always believe what you hear." He winked at her and she rolled her eyes while her traitorous friends giggled.



"As you can see, we are busy here. So if you wouldn't mind…" Buffy smiled even more coldly than before.



"You have the most beautiful smile, you know that don't you. I mean you look like angel," he said, the charm oozing out of every pore. "Anyways, I heard about you and Parker. What could he have been thinking? Oh well, his loss is my gain," he smirked. "So, what do you say Buffy? Have dinner with me and promise I'll treat you like a queen," he said picking up her hand and kissing the back of it.



"Well Mr. Harrington as tempting as that is I can't. I'm having dinner with my dad tonight. But don't worry, I'm sure you won't have any problem finding someone to keep your bed warm," she replied, making Willow and Cordelia laugh. "Anyways, I have to book. I have a study group to go to. Bye girls." She smiled at her friends and walked off towards the main hall without giving Spike a second glance.



"Right then, luv. I'll catch you later. Don't worry. I know I'll be seeing you around," he called as she walked off. He groaned inwardly, but turned to Buffy's friends, and smiled so charmingly that they forget to breath. He left them with a simple, "Ladies," and then walked back to the fountain.



"I just have to say Buffy is so freakin' lucky," the brunette said looking at Spike's perfect retreating bottom.



"You have got to be joking, Cordy. Spike Harrington is a hard-core womanizer, ask any girl on campus and you'll see what I'm talking about," Willow explained.



"Whatever, but he still is a hunk of salty goodness," Cordelia asserted laughingly.



* * *



"What happened, she turn you down already?" Angelus couldn't remember the last time he had laughed so hard.



Spike couldn't believe that she just blew him off. "Oh come off it. Angelus. It's still early in the game and I haven't even begun to play," he smirked.



"Whatever you say, dear brother, whatever you say."