Chapter 6

Spike walked into his apartment later that night to find Xander there. He figured Oz let him in since he was Spike’s roommate. “Harris, what are you doing here?” Xander smiled at him when he walked in.

“I saw you tonight.” Spike shrugged.

“And that means what to me?” Xander rolled his eyes.

“I saw you with Buffy after you told Harmony off. How you followed after her when she left. What was that about?” Spike shrugged again.

“Nothing, I just didn’t want her to think I was a jerk. You know, so she wouldn’t want to quit or anything.” Xander didn’t believe him.

“I think it was more than that. You like her, don’t you?” Spike rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, I like her. What of it? We all like her, remember?” Xander shook his head.

“You like her in a different way. Come on, Spike. I saw the way you were looking at her. I can’t blame you really, she is hot.” Spike glared at him.

“Would you stop saying that about her? She’s an actual person, there's more to her than that.” Xander was surprised at what his friend said.

“Oh yeah, you like her.” Spike decided to give up.

“God, yes.” He said as he sat on his couch and Xander sat down next to him. “I wasn’t planning on it, but there’s just something special about her. I’m not going to make a habit of dating our lead singers. As much as I like her, I know it probably wouldn’t work out. There’s more that you don’t know about and I’m 10 bloody years older than her.” Xander shrugged.

“As long as she’s legal, I don’t see the problem. Hey, if you don’t want her maybe I can ask her out.” Spike glared at him.

“You better not, the girl is off limits to you.” Xander smiled at him.

“You’re a bit possessive of a girl that you’re not even dating.” Spike sighed.

“I just don’t want to see her get hurt.” Xander felt offended.

“What makes you think I would do that? Look, I’m not the one you need to be worrying about. I’m not going to ask her out, but there are other guys out there that would love a chance with her.” Spike thought about what his friend said. He suddenly felt jealous at the thought of any man touching Buffy and he didn’t know why.


* * * * *


Buffy was walking the halls of Sunnydale High the next day, when she heard a voice behind her. “Hey, Buffy!” Buffy smiled when she saw Dawn run over to her.

“Hey, Dawn. What’s up?” Dawn smiled at her also.

“I heard that you joined my brother’s band. That’s so cool!” Buffy smiled again.

“Yeah, I decided to give it a try. I’m having lots of fun and the guys are great.” She explained.

“Yeah, being that close to Spike. You’re so lucky.” Dawn said with a dreamy look on her face.

“I take it you have a crush on him.” Buffy replied.

“Who doesn’t? He’s so gorgeous and he has the prettiest blue eyes. My friends all totally check him out when he picks me up from school. Yeah, I know. He’s way old, but a girl can dream.” Buffy laughed.

“Right, you probably shouldn’t call him old though.” Dawn nodded.

“I would never say that to his face. So, what do you think of him?” Dawn asked and Buffy smiled when she thought of Spike.

“He’s pretty great.” Dawn noticed the look on Buffy’s face and smiled also. It looked like she wasn’t the only one with a crush.