Chapter 8

Spike was greeted by a glaring Harmony, when he went back in the living room. She had her arms crossed over her chest. “Are you sleeping with her?” Spike rolled his eyes and decided that he had enough.

“I’m not sleeping with her, Harmony. Not yet anyway, but I plan on it.” He said with a smirk because he knew that would irritate her. She raised her eyebrows, obviously not expecting him to say that.

“You can’t sleep with both of us, Spike. What do you see in her anyway? She’s just a stupid kid.” Harmony said as she moved closer to Spike and ran her hands over his chest. She then moved to his ear. “What you need is a woman.” She whispered seductively and Spike grabbed her shoulders and pushed her away.

“Piss off, Harm. What we had was nice, but it’s over now.” Harmony wouldn’t take no for an answer as she moved to his ear again and nibbled on it.

“I know you don’t mean that, Spikey. I can make you feel so good.” Spike pushed her away again.

“Right now, you’re just making my skin crawl. Get out.” He said in a calm voice and Harmony didn’t look happy.

“I can’t believe you’re choosing that freak over me. We are so over, Spike.” She said as she walked to his door. She turned to look at him one more time. “Just so you know, I’m not taking you back when you decide to come crawling back to me. You had your chance. I’ll just have to find someone else that will appreciate me.” She said as she turned around and walked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind her. Spike sighed and sat on his couch. He ran his fingers through his hair. He was just grateful that he didn’t have to deal with the irritating bint anymore. Now he could focus more on Buffy. Just the thought of her brought a smile to his face.


* * * * *


Buffy walked into her house to find her mother holding a screaming baby. “Thank goodness you’re home.” She said when Buffy walked in. “I don’t know what’s wrong with him.” Buffy put her purse down and took the baby out of her mother’s arms. “I fed him and he’s been changed, but then he just started to cry for no reason.” Buffy nodded as she rocked her son back and forth. She looked back at her mother.

“Thanks, mom. I can handle it.” Joyce sighed in relief.

“I need a drink.” She said as she walked into the kitchen. Buffy sat on the couch and continued to rock the baby. She knew what might make him feel better and started to sing a lullaby that her mother used to sing to her when she was little. He started to calm down as Buffy continued to sing. Joyce went back into the living room and smiled at the display. She couldn’t believe how grown up her daughter was. Buffy finished the song and smiled at the baby, who was now smiling also. She gave him a kiss on the forehead.

“That’s all you wanted, wasn’t it? You just wanted mommy to sing to you.” He giggled and Buffy smiled again. He then let out a yawn. “Looks like someone is tired. Let’s get you upstairs.” She said as she walked upstairs and into her son’s room. She placed him gently in his crib and covered him up with his baby blanket. “There you go.” She said quietly as the baby started to doze off. She kissed him on the forehead again. “I love you, Tommy.” She whispered as she walked out of the room and back downstairs. “He finally fell asleep.” She said to her mother who was sitting on the couch.

“Come sit down, honey.” Buffy did as her mother said and sat next to her on the couch. Joyce noticed how tired she looked. “Is everything okay?” Buffy nodded. “You just seem exhausted. How are things at school?” Joyce asked with concern.

“Things are okay. Just waiting for graduation. It can’t come soon enough.” Buffy replied and Joyce agreed.

“How are things with the band?” That got a smile from Buffy.

“Things are good. I didn’t know I could have this much fun.” Joyce smiled also.

“I knew you would. You’re finally doing what you’ve always loved. You’ve wanted to sing ever since you were a little girl and this is your chance to do it professionally.” Buffy thought about what her mother said.

“Do you think I could ever get discovered?” Joyce nodded.

“I know you could, sweetie. You were given a gift and I know someone out there will see it.” She explained.

“What about Tommy? I’m already doing too much as it is. I feel so bad having you look after him all the time.” Joyce waved her hand in the air.

“Don’t you worry about that. He’s my grandson and I don’t mind watching him. You need to do something for yourself, Buffy. I also think you should start dating again.” Buffy rolled her eyes and figured her mother would say that.

“I told you I’m done with the whole dating thing. Nothing good ever comes out of it. Besides, who would be interested in a single mother that’s still in high school? They would probably think I’m a slut or something.” Joyce looked appalled.

“You will not talk about yourself like that. No one thinks that, Buffy. I know there is someone out there for you. You deserve happiness, sweetheart.” Joyce explained.

“I am happy. I’m probably as happy as I’m gonna get.” Buffy said and Joyce shook her head.

“You may think that, but I know you want a boyfriend to share everything with. You can’t hide anything from your mother.” Buffy sighed.

“You know me too well. I do want that, but I only seem to attract jerks. I just don’t think there’s anyone out there for me.” Joyce took Buffy’s hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

“You’ll find someone; it’s only a matter of time.” She said and they both sat in silence after that, when Joyce then thought of something. “What about Spike?” Buffy raised her eyebrows.

“What about him?” Joyce rolled her eyes at how dense her daughter could be sometimes.

“Why don’t you go out with him? He seems like a nice young man.” Buffy gave a short laugh at that.

“Right, like he would ever be interested in me. You saw him, mom. A guy like that doesn’t go for a girl like me. He’s older and could have anyone he wanted. He wouldn’t want me. He already has a girlfriend anyway.” Joyce noticed the sad look on Buffy’s face and didn’t say anything else about it. She had faith that everything would turn out okay.