Disclaimer: I own nothing…


Summary: After her parents divorce, when she is only seven, Buffy’s father becomes abusive… The only other person she is willing to entrust with this information is her childhood best friend, William Giles… Can he save her before it’s too late? (***WARNING*** Deals w/ issues of child abuse).



Spoilers: None… It’s Fantasy/AU…


Rating: R



Author’s Notes: First off, I would like to say thank you to everyone who offered their sympathies in regards to my cousin. It was truly appreciated. Also, I have to thank everybody for the reviews. They’re definitely helping with this one. It’s a little tough to write, as I’m sure you can imagine.


Now, as for the story, I am so sorry it took me so long to get this chapter out. It’s been done for weeks. Once I finished it, I went straight into writing chapter 3, and I guess I just forgot to post it… And, don’t even ask about this chapter… It’s a little cutesy. I was depressed and apparently I dealt with it by making this chapter of my angsty story into fluff… Sorry about that…


And, before everybody gets confused, I’m going to do a little explaining. It will be dealt with in more detail in future chapters, but in the story Angel and Spike are brothers and Faith is their half sister. She was the product of a one night stand Giles had, which ended in divorce and split up the family


And, finally, I‘ll do my best to get the next chapter out as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I’ve got some summer reading that has to be done for AP English next year, so it’ll probably be a week or two…



Distribution: If ya want it, take it, just give me credit… And, if ya could, let me know where it’s going.



Feedback: You can send it to brock3005@aol.com or otownfan1520@yahoo.com.



~*~*~*~



Chapter 2: Let Me Be



 


Buffy lay on her bed, chin resting in her palm as she flipped through one of the many scrapbooks she’d put together over the years. This particular one held photos from the last year or so; the majority of them portraying images of her and Spike, along with Faith, Willow, Xander, and the occasional photo of Angel. Buffy loved going through her old scrapbooks. They brought back all the pleasant memories she had retained over the years… Those that involved her friends and her mom and Spike… And tonight she could certainly use some optimism.


She smiled brightly as she stared down at a picture of Spike, Faith, and Angel that she’d taken on their first camping trip together, this past summer. The three siblings had been roughhousing just outside the tent, and Buffy had caught it all on film… That had to have been one of the best weekends of her life… Despite the fact that at one point Faith had gotten pissed enough to punch out Angel, which hadn’t exactly gone over well with Buffy considering the two had been dating at the time, but it had all worked out in the end.


Buffy laughed lightly at the memory; her mood finally beginning to lighten… And it was at that precise moment that the phone began to ring…


Groaning in annoyance, Buffy rolled onto her back and lifted the cordless phone from it’s place on her bedside table. Hitting the talk button and mumbling a hello, she threw an arm over her eyes as she waited for a reply.


“Hey, Buffy. It’s Willow.”


‘Wonderful.’ Buffy’s mind screamed when she heard the redhead’s chipper voice flow over the phone line. Immediately she scolded herself for the thought. Willow was simply worried, and if anything, she should be grateful that she was lucky enough to have friends like Willow and Spike… They were simply trying to help.


“Hey Wills.” Buffy replied, trying her best to sound cheery as well. “Listen, I’m sorry about earlier, it’s just--”


“No, no.” Willow cut her off. “It’s not about that… I totally understand.”


Now Buffy was definitely confused. If she wasn’t calling about earlier, what could it be about? “Okay…” she replied slowly, trying to figure out what exactly was going on. “What’s up, then?”


“Well, I was sort of debating whether or not to call, but curiosity got the better of me… What happened with Spike and Dru?”


“Huh?” Buffy questioned as she pushed herself up so that she was resting on one elbow. “Something happened with Spike and Dru?”


“According to Xander.” Willow’s voice held obvious surprise. It wasn’t often that Buffy wasn’t aware of something involving Spike. “He said he was walking by and he caught the very end of the argument… Apparently, Spike told her off and then left her standing there while she was mumbling something about it being ‘so over’. You didn’t know about it?”


“No.” Her voice held an obvious air of irritation. No. Why didn’t she know? He’d had the opportunity to tell her, so why had he opted not to? “What were they arguing about?”


“From what Xander heard, he got the feeling it was about you… You really didn’t know?”


“No, I didn’t know! God, I can’t believe he didn’t tell me about this! I mean, he had all that time in the car, ya know? If they’re breaking up, that’s something I should know, isn’t it? And if it’s my fault they split, I’m never gonna forgive myself! Willow, he’s so in love with her, and they’ve been together since like forever, and--”


“Buffy!” Willow’s voice was firm as she cut off her friend’s ranting. “Geez, babble much?”


“Sorry… I just don’t wanna be the reason they’re fighting…” Buffy apologized weakly. She hated the idea that she may have been the one to break up Spike and Drusilla’s legendary love… Not that she was Dru’s biggest fan or anything, but she meant the world to Spike, which meant simply that there must be something in her that Buffy had yet to see, because Spike didn’t just give his love away… When he fell for someone, he fell hard, and Spike didn’t fall for just anybody. There had to be something special about Dru which had initially drawn him to her. Something that had kept him there for so long.


“I’m sure they’re not really breaking up.” Willow attempted to calm her with the reassurance… It didn’t work. “This sort of thing happens all the time. You know that. Just give it a day or so, and it’ll all blow over.”


Buffy straightened herself into a sitting position on her bed. Her voice was weak as mumbled her reply. “Then why didn’t he tell me?”


“Buffy,” Willow began gently, “he probably didn’t even think about it. Driving, it only takes like two minutes to get from the school to your house… And considering it was Spike driving, it’s probably less than that…” Buffy laughed lightly at the comment; allowing a small smile to slip past her lips. “I’m sure it’s nothing. You know how Xander exaggerates… Especially if it means he gets to make Spike look like the bad guy…”


“Yeah…” Buffy murmured quietly. She wasn’t convinced.


“Listen, Buffy, just ask him about it. I’m sure he’ll tell you everything, and I’m sure it’ll all be fine. Okay?”


“Alright, Will.” Buffy told her, sighing deeply at the sound of Spike’s car pulling into the driveway. “I’ve gotta go… He’s here.…”



~*~*~*~



As Spike raised a hand to ring the doorbell, the door was flung open before he had a chance to do much of anything. There was Buffy, standing before him, hands on her hips; mouth set in a hard line. Her pretty hazel eyes held contempt, coupled with slight disappointment. He wasn’t sure what exactly he’d done, but he was definitely in for it…


“Hey…” He smiled shakily as he gave a little wave; his voice weak.


Buffy had to fight to keep from laughing out loud at how easy it was to break him down. It was sad, really… All she had to do was look at him the wrong way, and he was immediately ready to grovel at her feet for forgiveness. Even if he had no idea what he’d done. As was the case this time around.


“Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked simply, moving to cross her arms over her chest as she tapped her foot impatiently.


And suddenly he was playing on the defensive, while he pushed his way past her and into the house. “Didn’t tell you what?” he questioned as he tossed his leather duster onto the recliner in the living room, before making himself comfortable on the couch; one foot resting on the edge of the coffee table in front of him.


Sighing heavily and rolling her eyes as she shut the door, she followed him into the living room. “Feet off the furniture.” she scolded as she swatted at his leg. After a moment he let his foot fall to rest on the floor and Buffy pushed her way past to sit beside him. “You know damn well what I’m talking about.”


“No, I really don’t think I do.”


He was being stubborn. Again. As she shook her head at him, she rolled her eyes heavenward; her expression that of pure annoyance. “Yeah ya do. I’m talking about you and Dru, and you know it.” she told him firmly. “Now, why didn’t you tell me?”


“Because it wasn’t important, Buffy.” he told her, glancing her way.


“Yes, it is.” She stared at him for a moment, eyes wide and anxious for an explanation. “Spike, you love her. She’s your first love. Hell, she’s the only woman you’ve ever kissed!”


“Well, there was you…” He raised an eyebrow at her, attempting to lighten the mood. And it worked…


Buffy did her best to kept the smile from breaking through, but it didn’t work. Rolling her eyes, she let the ghost of a smile grace her lips. “We were four!” she protested as she playfully slapped him upside the head. “And I’m trying to be serious here!”


“I know, Luv, but there’s no reason for you to worry. Dru and I are fine. We just had an argument, is all.” he assured her, pulling her towards him and wrapping his arms around her as she rested her head on his shoulder. “Why’s it so important, anyway? You’re not exactly Dru’s biggest fan.”


“No, I’m not.” she agreed. “But I know how much you love her, and I don’t want to be the one to ruin that for you. If you had plans with her, all you had to do was tell me.”


“You’re right, I do love her. But ya know what?” He glanced down at her, gently pushing her hair out of her eyes and tucking it behind her ear. Her eyes were curious as they locked with his, and he smiled softly. “I also love you, Buffy. You mean the world to me and if you need help, I’m going to be there. If she can’t accept that, then I’m better off without her. I will not choose between the two of you unless I absolutely have to… And even then, it would be you.”


“But that’s just it.” she objected. “I’m telling you that you don’t have to choose. All you have to do is tell me that you’ve already got plans and I’ll back off. It’s as simple as that.” Then, she paused for a moment as his words sunk in. That certainly hadn’t been something she had expected. She looked up at him, eyes wide with surprise and innocence. “You’d really choose me over Dru?”


“In a second, Pet.” he told her, nothing but sincerity in his voice.


“Why?”


“Because you’re you.” he told her with a smile. “Buffy, my entire life, there has only been one person that I could truly count on and that’s you. You’ve always been there when I’ve needed you, and I have every intention to do the same for you. Now, I don’t know how Dru and I are going to turn out, but you and me? We’re forever.”


“Ya know, I hate it when you know exactly what to say.” she pouted, as she cuddled closer to him.


He laughed as he gave her a light squeeze. “Look, Buffy, you needed me today. And to be honest, I needed you, too. You just spent three days in the hospital… I’ve been out of my mind with worry, and I needed to be with you so I could be sure that you’re okay. Dru knew that I wanted to be with you when they released you. I made sure she knew. Therefore, she has nothing to be angry about.”


“You were there with me in the hospital every day, Spike.” she pointed out.


“Doesn’t mean I wasn’t worried.”



~*~*~*~



Joyce carefully opened the front door and made her way into the house, balancing a couple of grocery bags in her arms. Dumping the bags on the kitchen counter, she set off to find Buffy and Spike. When she’d pulled in, she’d seen his car in the driveway and she assumed the two would be upstairs in Buffy’s room watching movies like they usually were.


“Buffy!” Joyce called from the bottom of the stairs. “I’m home!”


“We’re in here, mom!”


Joyce moved around the corner to find her daughter on the couch, curled against Spike. His fingers swept up and down her arm slowly as hers played just under the hem of his t-shirt. The couple looked so incredibly intimate… And they were completely unaware.


A tiny smile spread across her lips as she watched the two teens. She had always adored Spike. He was like the son she’d never had. Spike certainly played the brother roll in regards to Buffy… And yet there were certain moments… Moments like these that she would see something more between the two. Something that bonded them closer than simple friendship ever could. And it didn’t scare her the way it had when Buffy had dated Angel. In fact, seeing the two together this way only aided in convincing her that they were made for one another.


“You okay, mom?” Buffy asked curiously when she noticed the way her mother was staring off into space.


Immediately Joyce snapped back to reality at the sound of her daughter’s voice. Smiling brightly at the couple on the couch, she nodded, then looked toward Spike. “Hi, Spike.” she greeted cheerfully.


“Hey, Joyce.” He returned her smile as his hand continued to gently stroke Buffy’s arm. Neither of them bothered to move away from one another and Joyce was sure neither realized exactly how compromising their position may have seemed, had he been anyone other than Spike.


“You want any help with dinner, mom?” Buffy questioned, lifting her head from Spike’s chest as she glanced curiously at her mother.


“That’s okay, sweetie.” Joyce told her, waving a hand in the air for emphasis. “I’ll take care of it. You two stay here. Have fun.”


“Thanks, mom.”


Buffy smiled, and Joyce watched as her daughter melted against Spike once more. They were so comfortable together… It was heartening. Buffy usually seemed so distant and depressed. But when she was with Spike it was different. When she was with Spike, she was happy. It was always astounding how much the girl’s mood could change by simply being in the same room with the bleached teen. And that was something Joyce wanted for her little girl. Someone who would treat her right and make her happy. Someone who loved and cared about her more than his own life… Someone just like Spike.


After watching the two for a moment more, Joyce moved to the kitchen, leaving them in peace.



~*~*~*~



“Is it done yet?” Buffy questioned impatiently as she stood beside her mother in the kitchen, picking toppings off of the salad and popping them into her mouth.


“Will you stop that?” Joyce scolded as she slapped Buffy’s hand back and moved the salad bowl away. “Geez, you’d think I never feed you.”


“You don’t. Now give it!” she whined, grabbing for the bowl.


“Spike, could you convince my daughter to back off and wait for ten minutes, please?” Joyce called over her shoulder, still attempting to keep Buffy away from the salad bowl.


“Alright.” Spike said slowly as he stood and moved toward Buffy. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he pulled her away; directing her to the island at the center of the kitchen. “Time to let up. Now sit.”


He motioned to the stool and she scowled at him. “Sit.” she spat out bitterly. “Sit he says.” she mumbled to herself, her voice full of sarcasm. Crossing her arms over her chest and huffing in frustration, she sat. Then she looked back up at him; glaring. “I’m not your dog.”


He simply laughed and moved to help Joyce. “You really are cranky when you’re hungry, aren’t you?”


Again she glared. “You’ve known me for what? Like fifteen years?” she questioned rhetorically. “And you’ve just figured this out? God, sad much?”


Spike just laughed again. “’Course I figured it out before. Just thought now would be the appropriate time to bring it up.”


Buffy stuck her tongue out at him in a childishly feeble attempt at retaliation. He raised his eyebrows at her as he popped a cherry tomato into his mouth. Immediately her jaw dropped at the injustice of it all, and her eyes narrowed as she glared at him. “Why does Spike get to pick at the food? I don’t get to pick, why does Spike get to pick?”


Joyce laughed as she continued slicing cucumbers. “Because Spike just got you out of my hair.”


“Whatever.” Buffy grumbled as she frowned; that trademark pout making itself known as she stared off in the opposite direction.


Desperately, Spike looked to Joyce for help. He was a sucker for that pout. He always had been… And this time was no different. For as long as he could remember, he had fallen for it. And Buffy certainly knew how to use it in her favor. The girl was a master at getting her way… At least where he was concerned.


Joyce just smiled knowingly. “We’re finished.” she assured him, as she pulled the plates out of the cupboard.


“Thank God.” Spike breathed a sigh of relief as he helped Joyce with the plates.


“I’m hungry.” They heard Buffy whine once again as she sat at the island; pout still locked in place, though Spike could see the playful smile twitch at her lips while she tried her best to hold it back.


“What are you? Three?” he asked Buffy, while helping to move everything into the dining room.


“Shut up… Jerk” Her reply was frustrated, as she pushed herself up and followed them; once again scowling at the smirk he shot her way.



~*~*~*~



“Can you believe her?” Buffy questioned; her voice playful as she exited the bathroom, wearing only her pajamas and clutching a large hair clip. “I mean, come on.” she continued, twisting her hair up and clipping it back. “She’s been trying to get us together since we were like, what? Four? It’s really kinda sad…”


He smiled slightly as he listened to her babble; leaning back against the headboard of her bed. She had been going on like this for nearly a half hour… Ever since her mother had been called away to the gallery. And she was right. Joyce had always wanted the two of them to be together, and she had never been one to hide it. Although it had been quite some time since she’d addressed it. Honestly, they had both believed that she had finally given up on that deal… But apparently she hadn’t.


And, in all honesty, Spike couldn’t exactly overlook his attraction to Buffy. Not when she was standing before him in nothing more than a cute little baby blue tank top and a pair of black shorts that hugged her curves in all the right ways. And he couldn’t deny that he had taken notice when that tank top had ridden up as she’d tied back her hair. She was simply beautiful.


And in nothing more than a moment, all his thoughts came crashing to a halt and were replaced by seething hatred. His cheeks hollowed out and his lips formed a hard line; his eyes cold as ice. His gaze had fallen to the bruise on her upper arm which had just begun to heal; the edges yellowing. There were others scattered across her beautiful golden skin, of course, but this one was different. To the trained eye it was clearly a handprint… A horrible reminder of the pain she was forced to endure with each and every trip she took to see her father.


“Uh-oh…” Buffy said quietly, as she turned back toward him. “You’ve got serious face… Why do you have serious face? That always ends badly with you.”


“I hate him, Buffy.” He nearly choked on the words; his voice harsh with emotion as he met her eyes.


“Spike, could we please not talk about this. Not now…” She was begged him. The past few hours had been among the best she’d ever had. It had been fun… She couldn’t remember the last time she’d ever really had fun. Even with SpikeFor the past couple of years, he had been so stuck on convincing her to reveal her secret, that it had become the sole topic of conversation when they were together.


“Buffy, we have to talk about this!” His eyes were desperate, and she could see the fear they held for her. Honestly, she wouldn’t have been surprised if he’d burst into tears right then and there. In the dim light given by the lamp at her beside, she could see the tears glistening in his soulful eyes, reminding her of all he felt for her… All of the love and devotion. He had an overwhelming need to protect and care for her, and she could see it reflecting back at her every time she looked into those soulful eyes.


“Please.” she continued to beg, her own eyes wet now with those same desperate, unshed tears. Just for tonight. Spike, I’ve had so much fun with you today, and I don’t want that to end. Not yet. Please, just let me have tonight… Let me be happy.”


“Come here.” he told her gently, gesturing for her to sit beside him on the bed. After a moment, she nodded; her eyes wide with pleading grief, as she crawled onto the bed beside him. Making herself comfortable in his arms, she nestled herself against him; her head falling to his chest. He hugged her close; kissing her forehead gently, as he rocked her in his arms. “I’m so scared for you, Buffy.”


“I’m scared for me, too.” she admitted quietly as she hugged him closer; her voice trembling with fear. Now that she was here, in his arms, she could let it out. This was safe. He was safe. As long as he was there, beside her, there was no need for fear. Because she knew he would always protect her. With his life, if necessary…


Within minutes, she gave in to the fatigue that had gripped her since those sleepless nights in the hospital. He had been there then, too, of course, but he had not been allowed to stay the night by her side, and therefore, in her eyes, it hadn’t been safe. It could never be safe without him.


So now she slept. The fear and grief that had been plaguing her for days had finally been washed away. Diminished by the mere presence of the man who had her wrapped in his arms.


For the first time in a long time, she slept peacefully.



~*~*~*~



Slowly, the door creaked open to reveal the two sleeping teenagers; the dim light from the hallway flooding the room. Joyce smiled lightly as she leaned against the doorframe, gazing at the two. The only time her daughter ever looked truly happy was when she was with Spike… Mainly because he was the only person on earth who could make her feel safe and protected.


Joyce let out a quiet sigh as she backed out of the room. Carefully, she shut the door behind her, trying her best to make as little noise possible. She wasn’t about to wake the two. It wouldn’t hurt to let Spike stay the night. In fact it would probably do Buffy a lot of good, having him there. So instead, she moved downstairs to call Spike’s father, Rupert Giles, to let him know where his son would be.



~*~*~*~